Home
Posted By: TooOldToCare Publix Grocery - 05/09/22
Being from Illinois I had never been to a Publix until I came to Georgia for training. What a store! I can’t say enough good about them. Their deli sandwiches, made to order are fantastic. Huge pre made salads or make your own. The fried chicken is tender and juicy, with a wonderfully crispy breading . Good prices, as things go today. The associates are, helpful polite people.
I haven’t been able to try the meat. I’m living out of a motel.
So, for those that live in states with Publix stores and any others that have been to them, what is your opinion?
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Publix Grocery - 05/09/22
They are OK, better than Albertson's and Raley's that are common around here.

But a good way back behind HEB, let alone Central Marker.
Posted By: deflave Re: Publix Grocery - 05/09/22
Probably the best grocery stores I’ve ever encountered.

What Jewel/Osco used to be.
Posted By: rong Re: Publix Grocery - 05/09/22
You guys don't have Wegman's down that far yet.
They've opened stores into NC,and always expanding.
One of the best.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Originally Posted by rong
One of the best.

Wegman's are incredible. Some of them go way beyond supermarket and have a more or less, in house food court....with really good food as well as beer and wine. Really, Wegman's is something we miss here and we are eagerly awaiting their continued southward expansion. We like Publix here, but also Harris Teeter and Lowes. Competition is a good thing.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
I've liked Publix, too, for many years. Great raised donuts, too, in the bakery.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
seems like they are building one about every 1/2 around Nashville
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
I man shops anywhere and doesn’t like to shop, or they grow and kill their food.

You guys sound like women !
Posted By: reivertom Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
We are stuck with Kroger's being so close to their headquarters. There are some smaller stores and Walmart, but no Publix for many miles.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
I’ve never been to a Publix. My sister has been a fan of them since moving to Florida about 10 years ago. She worked at one while going to school at UCF and said that they treated their employees well.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Love their grocery stores. Customer service and cleanliness are superb.
Posted By: WAM Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
The ones I’ve been n around Birmingham are nothing to write home about, except very high prices.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Originally Posted by TooOldToCare
Being from Illinois I had never been to a Publix until I came to Georgia for training. What a store! I can’t say enough good about them. Their deli sandwiches, made to order are fantastic. Huge pre made salads or make your own. The fried chicken is tender and juicy, with a wonderfully crispy breading . Good prices, as things go today. The associates are, helpful polite people.
So, for those that live in states with Publix stores and any others that have been to them, what is your opinion?

Quality. You pay a little more for that, but you know that's what you'll get there.
Posted By: yogibear Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Publix is a began in Florida. I was born & raised here and they were a good chain. Winn Dixie beat them in some ways before the Davis brothers died and that chain was sold off to outside investors. So Publix is the best we have now.
Posted By: shootem Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22

My opinion is you need to spend more time in the South. We get better fried chicken from out of town gas stations than y’all get in a restaurant in Illinois. 😆😁😃 Add some jo-jo fries and a few jalepenos to a few wings and be good to go.

But yeah, the Publix about a half mile from us is the way you describe. And the pharmacy is a good deal too. Lots of generics that are free or nearly so.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
I've got a Publix within walking distance of me. It's the best grocery store going, but they're proud of their stuff. It can get pricey.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Kmart used to have a cafeteria
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Ya need to try the tomato bisque soup, that stuff is dang good. But the south is full. enjoy Ill.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Publix is expensive compared to most grocery stores. I worked as a bag boy then moved up to a bottle man. As a student you could only work a few hours a week, it me took a long time to save $260.00 up for a new moped.
Posted By: killerv Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
I dont mind publix, they are about 1/4 to 1/3 more than the kroger down the road. Publix has better meat in most instances. Publix makes great cakes. I'll go to it for convenience but its not our main goto. A lot less "canadians" at publix. I love Fresh Market. Great store.
Posted By: rem shooter Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
how does Publix compare to Piggley Wiggley stores ? If they are still around .Went to them 40 years ago when posted in Georgia in the Army
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Originally Posted by rong
One of the best.

My top three of large supermarket chains would be (1) Wegman's, (2) HEB, (3) Publix.

Individual stores may vary.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Publix is one of the best grocery stores but they have crap for meat.
99.9% grass fed and finished, tasteless beef.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Originally Posted by JeffA

But...but...grass fed is all the rage! How can it be tasteless??

lol
Originally Posted by rem shooter
how does Publix compare to Piggley Wiggley stores ? If they are still around .Went to them 40 years ago when posted in Georgia in the Army

You might see a Piggly Wiggly in a small town, there is one right down the road from our hunting land. And it still looks the same as it did 40 years ago. Like walking back in time.
Originally Posted by JeffA

I would say they arent as hit or miss as others.

I skip over the real expensive grass fed stuff they sell. When ours has NY strips on sale, they are most of the time really good, and when they do the 5.99lb rib roasts, I'll get one cut up into about 5-6 steaks. Those have always been good.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22

I can tell you what my opinion is of the Publix stock I bought many, many years ago. 🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22

The little town I live near has a Piggly Wiggly and the slightly larger town about 15 minutes away has a Publix. The Pig is like walking back in time to the way grocery stores were 30 years ago except that it does have a deli/meat counter. It has a butcher on site and has good meat selection. They stock pickled pigs feet and canned pork brains. The meat section has hog jowel and stew meat. That should tell you all you need to know about the Pig. I like it!

Publix is an upscale grocery experience compared to what I am used to, but the customer service and selection is excellent. Their bakery is very good and the hot food they have ready is also excellent. Their prices are a little high but not outrageous. I stop by there from time to time if I want to feel a little higher class and see lots of yuppie milfs doing their shopping smile
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Publix is the best. We also have Winn Dixie (southeast Grocers) they are pretty good.

We don't have Ingles here, but have shopped there when in N.C. Big, clean, well stocked.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Publix is the best run supermarket chain in the US hands down, it might be because they are employee owned . Super clean stores no matter where they are. They do have prices on the high side but so do a lot of their competitors.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
We don't have Publix or PW here. The one that's growing is Winco. They're a chain of employee owned stores across the west. They keep their prices lower than most of the others.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Friend started working at Publix in high school and is now a retired millionaire on Publix stock.
Posted By: rem shooter Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Originally Posted by killerv

You might see a Piggly Wiggly in a small town, there is one right down the road from our hunting land. And it still looks the same as it did 40 years ago. Like walking back in time.
they had Piggly Wiggly right outside Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah Georgia in the 80's , when I was there and a few more thru out the city ,.Abuddy of mine in my platoon was from Illinoi ,He said he would never go in a Piggly Wiggly,.It would be 20 years worth of cool ,right down the drain.I guess a lot of millinials feel the same now ,..Me ..I loved the name
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
Friend started working at Publix in high school and is now a retired millionaire on Publix stock.

They do take care of their employees.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Nice stores, expensive.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Originally Posted by slumlord
Kmart used to have a cafeteria
Yeap , Venture I had a snack bar maybe it was a small deli deal with them big ass salted pretzels
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
I shop at one. My opinion is their meat and fish is marginal. But for most everything else they are ok. Our Costco has better meat and seafood
than our Publix. I dont care to go to that nightmare Costco more than about once every few months. These days I mostly eat venison as my red meat and fish from a local fish market. I usually buy my chicken and pork bulk from GFS.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Publix yoga pant talent in their midday shoppers is unmatched.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Better than Hobby lobby?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
I miss Publix.

We have pretty [bleep] stores out here as a whole.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
The Fresh Market has good beef but runs a little higher priced than Publix..

You get what you're willing to pay for.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I man shops anywhere and doesn’t like to shop, or they grow and kill their food.

You sound drunk.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: slumlord Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
I get a cuban sandwich there

Dont go right at lunch, high society groids what a sample of all the lunch meat.

That or aggravating Boomers want a 1/4th lb of nine kinds of deli meat

Everything else in there is higher than a cat’s back.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

You sound drunk.

Naw, just dumb as a bag of rocks.
Posted By: deflave Re: Publix Grocery - 05/10/22

You sound drunk.

Problem?
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Publix Grocery - 05/11/22
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Better than Hobby lobby?

A bit out of my lane, admittedly. Last time I was in hobby lobby it was fat chicks with their moms.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Publix Grocery - 05/11/22

Better than Hobby lobby?

A bit out of my lane, admittedly. Last time I was in hobby lobby it was fat chicks with their moms.

Trader Joes has the best Yoga pants material.
Posted By: bubbajay Re: Publix Grocery - 05/11/22
How do they compare to a Hyvee store?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Publix Grocery - 05/11/22
I wouldn’t step foot into a Trader Joe or Whole Foods

Only because I identify as a 79 year old man and I shun that which I do not understand
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Publix Grocery - 05/11/22

Better than Hobby lobby?

Trader Joes has the best Yoga pants material.

Well, there is that..
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Publix Grocery - 05/11/22
Anybody remember Ogletrees? They had carpet throughout the entire store. It was pretty fancy.
I think Bruno’s bought them out.

Never did have a piggly wiggly in town. Always wished we did.
© 24hourcampfire