Home
Posted By: shrapnel Gophers And A Couple 17s - 05/12/22
Being retired is everything you want it to be if you live in Montana and enjoy hunting/shooting. The weather was cool in the morning, but near noon, it was beautiful. I threw 3 varmint rifles in the truck and headed out in search of gophers. The little ones are out and made for several doubles and a triple or two.

The guns I shot were the 17 CCM, which is a centerfire 17 that does about what the 17 WSM does, yet it is reloadable. And the potent 17 Hornet.

The gophers didn't know what hit them...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: BKinSD Re: Gophers And A Couple 17s - 05/12/22
Looks like fun for a kid or a retired guy or really anyone at all!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Gophers And A Couple 17s - 05/12/22
I've honestly never heard of a 17 CCM.. What's it based on? Only .17 I have is the .17 Remington - and it's one of my most favorite varmint rifles.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Gophers And A Couple 17s - 05/12/22
Originally Posted by Redneck
I've honestly never heard of a 17 CCM.. What's it based on? Only .17 I have is the .17 Remington - and it's one of my most favorite varmint rifles.

It is between a 17 HMR and 17 Hornet. It is a centerfire cartridge and quite efficient...

I sure love my .17's.

Nice work.
Is the 22 CCM based on an existing case?

Looks cool.

I like my new 17HMR...but it's expensive to shoot.
Originally Posted by Redneck

These links might give you a path to follow......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.17_CCM

https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/22-CCM-22-Cooper-Centerfire-Magnum-Accurate-Loading-Guide-2/4751

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?12805-Bullshop-22-CCM

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35280
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Is the 22 CCM based on an existing case?

Looks cool.

I like my new 17HMR...but it's expensive to shoot.

Nope, Dan Cooper designed it from a 22 CCM case which was a Cooper originated cartridge by Mike Hill. The CCM stands for Cooper Centerfire Magnum.

The belt on the case is not distinguishable as it is on most magnum chamberings...
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Gophers And A Couple 17s - 05/12/22
Heck yeah.

I'm starting in on the prairie dogs this weekend too. The .17's will be put to work for sure.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Gophers And A Couple 17s - 05/12/22
Nice post. Wish I had a nickel for every 25 gr. sent through a PD by my .17 Rem. over the past 30 years.
I would be extremely interested in a .17ccm.
Anyone tried a .17/FiveSeven? On a mini mini Mouser?
Shrapnel: Great photos depicting your great hobby!
Thanks for posting them.
In the past month I have kill't numerous Gophers using three different 17 HMR Varmint Rifles, two different 17 Mach2 Rifles, two different 17 WSM Rifles (these two were friends semi auto 17 WSM's), a 17 HMR revolver (S&W Model 647 with Burris 7 power scope), my favored Ruger 77/17 Hornet V/T and finished off a partial box of 17 Remington factory ammo in my rare Remington 700 VSS in 17 Remington (Varmint Synthetic Steel) and also let fly with my Remington 700 VSF in 17 Remington Fireball and my handloads.
My point being I am about to declare the 17 calibers (both rimfire and centerfire!) the top "caliber choice" for these plentiful Varmints.
Have not used or seen afield a 17 CCM - that sounds VERY interesting - is that a standard Cooper offering?
Thanks again for sharing your great photos.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I have 5 17's;

17 Remington in Harrington and Richardson Model 317 Ultra Varmint
17 HMR in Browning T bolt
17 HMR in Cooper model 57
17 Hornet in Cooper model 38
17 Remington in Cooper model 21

They all are nasty on gophers...

Try a 17 fireball with a suppressor. It’s magic. The recoil and blast is almost all the way removed. It’s been known to disappear small flying varmints with 20 v max @4100 fps. The suppressor is the secret sauce
Posted By: CCCC Re: Gophers And A Couple 17s - 05/12/22
Have you ever encountered a .17 Javelina?
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Gophers And A Couple 17s - 05/13/22
Originally Posted by CCCC
Have you ever encountered a .17 Javelina?

Never encountered, but I have heard of it. Dies and brass are always hard to find for such obscure cartridges…
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Try a 17 fireball with a suppressor. It’s magic. The recoil and blast is almost all the way removed. It’s been known to disappear small flying varmints with 20 v max @4100 fps. The suppressor is the secret sauce

Suppressors are gayer'n aids.

Just sayin...
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Gophers And A Couple 17s - 05/13/22
Squirrels and beavers, git some...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Gophers And A Couple 17s - 05/13/22
I love my .17HMR.
Not sure the gay and AIDS joke flies. But I was in SD with my dad as he was on his last hunting trip due to health issues; I will never forget the look on his face shooting prairie dogs out the window of the truck with a .17 HMR. He was having a ball! Possibly the best memory I have.

John
Suppressed 17 fireball has less recoil than a non suppressed hmr. But true 250 yard capability and then some. With hmr being priced what it is I can shoot fireball for not that much more. The hmr has been gathering dust
Oh go lay down.

Some magic piece of shìt on the end of your barrel magically reduces the powder charge by 80 percent?
Posted By: Seafire Re: Gophers And A Couple 17s - 05/13/22
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I have 5 17's;

17 Remington in Harrington and Richardson Model 317 Ultra Varmint
17 HMR in Browning T bolt
17 HMR in Cooper model 57
17 Hornet in Cooper model 38
17 Remington in Cooper model 21

They all are nasty on gophers...

gotta give credit where credit is due.... you sure do it in Style there Shrap....
Posted By: Seafire Re: Gophers And A Couple 17s - 05/13/22
Oh go lay down.

Some magic piece of shìt on the end of your barrel magically reduces the powder charge by 80 percent?

I don't know Jim...

I do that sort of stuff.. and yeah, I have a couple of 17HMRs....

I don't need to load it to full power to be able to enjoy it...

just wish I had more primers than I do after a 27 gallon container from Costco, was full of boxes of primers and got stolen out of my home..

along with about 50 pounds of powder also...

so now I am shooting on the cheap, to make it thru the Biden Administration....
Originally Posted by Seafire
Oh go lay down.

I don't know Jim...

I do that sort of stuff.. and yeah, I have a couple of 17HMRs....

I don't need to load it to full power to be able to enjoy it...

just wish I had more primers than I do after a 27 gallon container from Costco, was full of boxes of primers and got stolen out of my home..

along with about 50 pounds of powder also...

so now I am shooting on the cheap, to make it thru the Biden Administration....

Dang!
I think a 17 ccm on a martini action would be cool.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Gophers And A Couple 17s - 05/13/22
Always thought the 17 Hornet was an ideal varmint cartridge. Nice collection of 17's.
Posted By: deflave Re: Gophers And A Couple 17s - 05/13/22
Big fan of the .17s
Posted By: deflave Re: Gophers And A Couple 17s - 05/13/22
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Suppressed 17 fireball has less recoil than a non suppressed hmr. But true 250 yard capability and then some. With hmr being priced what it is I can shoot fireball for not that much more. The hmr has been gathering dust

Yeah we were all wondering how to take the buck n’ snort out of a .17 Fireball.

Thanks for sharing.
© 24hourcampfire