Home
Posted By: hanco How are the gardens looking? - 05/13/22
Tomatoes are looking good, squash and jalapeños are doing OK, but cucumbers are sucking!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: How are the gardens looking? - 05/13/22
Just planted yesterday and today.
About time to plant up here
Dropped to 21° here on Thursday morning. Destroyed everything except the cold weather spinach and leafy greens. Everything was covered and protected, but that’s just too much for several hours at the temp.

Life at 7000’

Fortunately, we didn’t put out all the plantings and still have some indoors for replacements. We have a short growing season up here, 105 days on average, so it’ll be a race to get some veggies by the first frost in mid-September.
Likely plant my tomatoes and peppers tonight or tomorrow. We had frost up until 2 weeks ago, then tons of rain. Should be in the clear now.
Flea beetles are giving the eggplant hell, everything else is going well.
Posted By: TimZ Re: How are the gardens looking? - 05/13/22
Tomatoes are almost ready, if I can just keep the squirrels and possums off them....
We don't plant until the first week on June. Still freezing now.
No garden this year.
Posted By: hanco Re: How are the gardens looking? - 05/13/22
Originally Posted by TimZ
Tomatoes are almost ready, if I can just keep the squirrels and possums off them....

I have the same issue, got trap out.
Just planted my potatoes and onions on Wednesday. Also put in some spring kale and lettuce. We had a visit from Jack here Wednesday morning so hopefully it didn’t get the apple trees.
It’s been a cold wet spring here and there have been a couple cold nights that would’ve taken a toll on anything planted. I’m waiting another week or so before getting everything in. I need to get another 6 or 8 chicks to stick under a broody hen too. Increasing the size of the flock from 23 to 35 or 40 for the time being.
Main garden

5 varieties sweet corn
Indeterminate tomatoes
Collards
2 cucumber varieties trellised
3 varieties onions, red, white, yellow sweet
Peppers, hot and mild
potatoes
Hales musk canteloupe- trellised

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]post image[/[url=https://postimg.cc/7CH6hqW4][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

So far so good. I got mine in two days ago. It’s been warmer than usual for the past week with warm weather forecasted so I went ahead and planted a week or two earlier than usual.
Planted ours a week or two ago. It’s coming up good so far. The weeds aren’t far behind.
I expanded my raised bed garden this year. Just now shoveling potting mix soil into the expansion. $66 fricken dollars for 3/4 yard that I picked up with my utility trailer. Damned robbery. Next time I'll just find a patch of good soil and help myself.

I've got a problem with two of my tomato plants. Some kind of leaf curl. Never happened before so I'm a little stumped. No bugs that I can see, internet says my mulch might have residual herbicide in it. Dunno.
Garden annex for Determinate tomatoes
doubled this little patch this year. My Tyvek lasts about 4 years

No dogs allowed 👎🏼 (They steal tomatoes)

12 pot holes

Added 10 more. Most of the pot holes hold 3 plants each.
Garden? Hah. I planted stuff in the greenhouse 3 weeks ago and it's been so cold that not a single seed has come up yet. We've had a lot of nights below freezing and the days in the 40's.
Sweet potatoes

I have tomatoes on the vine about quarter size squash and cucumbers 4”-6” long. My garden is really doing well!
Feel bad posting rain pics but the cow garden got a much needed soak.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Still getting frost every night.
I did a container garden a few years ago that worked out better than I thought it would. I learned that white 5 gallon buckets worked best. I used a few dark blue ones and the plants in them didn't do well, likely overheated. Another good thing was being able to move them in and around the sun/shade throughout the day.
Still waiting on weather. Plenty of starts and peas doing good.
All of the pinto beans,green beans and snow peas finally came up.

The sweet corn is 3 in.high and the okra is happy.

The 3 types of watermelons are coming up as well as the cantaloupes.

The garden has survived 3 sand storms from hell.

The ditch the asparagus is in has been filled up with blow sand and still they are doing good.

The squash has made the trip from under the sand and the tomatoes have finally pulled out of their dying funk they were in,don't know what their problem is/was.

I sure hope i get some good eats out or this.
A few tomatoes on Monday. Two 25 ft rows of pole beans planted on Tuesday. Six rows of sweet corn (three varieties) planted yesterday. Had deer hoof prints through the garden this afternoon when I went out to water. mad Will put out cukes and melons over the weekend... Two more rows of beans next weekend. More tomatoes when I make time...
Posted By: EdM Re: How are the gardens looking? - 05/14/22
We gave up realizing we are too soon to leave the Texas Hill Country and too soon to leave the far north Idaho Panhandle. Our dear neighbors keep us fed in Idaho thankfully.
Everything came up good except butter beans. Just planted two new rows.
Dozens of tomatoes at various stages of development on the vine. Only lost three to fruit worms so far. Taking measures.

[Linked Image from hiddenspringshomestead.com]

Horned worms were easily dealt with, and their season is past now.
Posted By: MD521 Re: How are the gardens looking? - 05/14/22
Tomatoes are on the vines and should be ready to eat next week. We've been eating fresh onions for 3 weeks.
Our garden is doing good, picked some nice zucchini for the grill, won't be long will be picking green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes. The okra and watermelons are looking good so are the pepper plants. I also picked a 25' row of radish, and replanted will be picking in 5-6 weeks really like radish in my salad.
Been getting broccoli and cauliflower for over two weeks. Taters blooming hard and should be able to steal enough for a pot next week! Tomatoes and Cucumbers and squash all up with blooms! Good so far I guess
Too wet to plant yet.. Potatoes go in tomorrow, the rest needs another week...
Posted By: MLC Re: How are the gardens looking? - 05/14/22
Sweet corn and green beans doing good.

Originally Posted by MLC

Looks really good.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Too wet to plant yet.. Potatoes go in tomorrow, the rest needs another week...
Not too wet, still too cold most mornings.

Got a bed ready for taters, which I picked up seed for the other day. Weeded and put down some compost in the berry bed. Lots more to do today.

pffftt to you miscreants with tomatoes and sweet corn up and going already. Probably be mid June again for our last frost. Probably snow on Memorial Day.
I still got snow
Posted By: hanco Re: How are the gardens looking? - 05/14/22
Originally Posted by MLC

No deer where you are, gotta have a 6’ fence at my house?? This is the cshit I have to put up with, live next to hundreds of acres of woods.

I predict Raccoonageddon by July 15

I have 4 live traps ready to deploy. Doubt I’ll Hav-A-Heart for the bastards though.
Planted 6 maters & a few hills of squash at Mom's. Should feed half the country
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by MLC

No deer where you are, gotta have a 6’ fence at my house?? This is the cshit I have to put up with, live next to hundreds of acres of woods.

You got it made
Posted By: las Re: How are the gardens looking? - 05/14/22
Couple weeks yet before planting outside, still dropping into the mid-30's at night, and only getting into the 50's daytime. This isn't real warm country, with cold soil temps.....

I did build a visqueen coldframe out of scrap for the raised bed to give the strawberries a warm start for the first couple weeks. Plus warming the soil even more...won't harm the other stuff any either- broccoli, kale, cabbage, lettuce (which should have been planted from seed out there already- I bought starts yesterday). Strawberries go in the front row, and the two single rows. Other stuff in the back row and bed. I'll build another bed like this week after next. Occupied all this coming week...

Also converted my greenhouse manual vent to use a Univent auto opener, which involved remodeling that end of the greenhouse. Might have to put in another, lower down, across the greenhouse, for additional airflow- it still went up to 95 in there the last sunny day (mid 50's outside), but the vent works! Got it 2 for the price of one, plus a 5% Tuesday discount, from a supply place called Panama Red..... smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Transplanted tomatoes and cucs into their greenhouse containers yesterday, still have a couple to go.

Someone likes to help "garden"... mosly creating hazard-holes.....

Transplanted the cucs into their greenhouse containers last night. Looking a bit sickly this morning, but they always do that. They'll recover. I hope.... smile

It's too early to plant. I'm only at 2900' but it's been down in the 30's a lot and a few days ago 28*. There been a few snow flurries too so planting would take be crop failure.
Posted By: las Re: How are the gardens looking? - 05/14/22
Passive greenhouse! smile. Lettuce and some other stuff can be planted "as soon as the ground can be worked".

We had snow flurries yesterday morning, and down to 26 a couple nights ago. But yeah, outside planting here needs another week or so, too- generally it's figured for June 1.
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by MLC

Yes plenty of deer. But finally after trying everything to keep them out I ran across Milorganite. I broadcast a border all around the garden. It’s a high nitrogen fertilizer made from human waste from sewer plants. Deer ate my green beans down last year as soon as they came out of the ground. This year not a deer track anywhere. On the other side of the field I planted a summer food plot for them and there mowing it down.
Milorganite is composed of heat-dried microbes that have digested the organic material in wastewater. It's manufactured by the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, which captures waste water from the metropolitan Milwaukee area and uses naturally occurring microbes to digest the nutrients. After the organic matter has been consumed, the cleaned water is returned to Lake Michigan and the resulting material is dried and marketed as Milorganite.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Is that dog lurking in the background wearing sunglasses?
I'm trying Jim Beam tomatoes this year. Tomatos grown in Jim Beam bourbon barrels.
I’m jealous of you guys further south.
Originally Posted by MLC

Dad gum...

What part the state?

Last year i planted too early.

This year was wet in April. Planted 2 weeks ago.

Nothing like what you have.....
Well we had snow squalls on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday but it got to 80* today. Actually got to leave the plants in the greenhouse the last couple of days. Not really going to get after it till June.
Posted By: MLC Re: How are the gardens looking? - 05/15/22
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by MLC

Dad gum...

What part the state?

Last year i planted too early.

This year was wet in April. Planted 2 weeks ago.

Nothing like what you have.....
I’m in Perkinston which is about 32 miles north of Gulfport.
I planted on March 23.
Dozens of nice tomatoes on the vine.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: las Re: How are the gardens looking? - 05/15/22
22 degrees this morning. Have yet to visit the passive greenhouse - and my wife has flowers (about 5X the footprint of my edibles!). hardening outside. Or maybe had. I hope they didna't freexe, because then she will spedn $500 -or probobly closer to $1,000 - buying fugginflowers to fuss over all summer.

I have one lettuce plant coming along outside - or had- it was a volunteer from last year's planting- now that's some slow germination! smile

My tomatoes are just starting to bloom. If they didn't freeze last night, should have some sometime in July.

More coffee!
[bleep] deer pulling up my tomatoes
© 24hourcampfire