Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by MLC
Sweet corn and green beans doing good.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

No deer where you are, gotta have a 6’ fence at my house?? This is the cshit I have to put up with, live next to hundreds of acres of woods.

You got it made

Romans 5:1
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Couple weeks yet before planting outside, still dropping into the mid-30's at night, and only getting into the 50's daytime. This isn't real warm country, with cold soil temps.....

I did build a visqueen coldframe out of scrap for the raised bed to give the strawberries a warm start for the first couple weeks. Plus warming the soil even more...won't harm the other stuff any either- broccoli, kale, cabbage, lettuce (which should have been planted from seed out there already- I bought starts yesterday). Strawberries go in the front row, and the two single rows. Other stuff in the back row and bed. I'll build another bed like this week after next. Occupied all this coming week...

Also converted my greenhouse manual vent to use a Univent auto opener, which involved remodeling that end of the greenhouse. Might have to put in another, lower down, across the greenhouse, for additional airflow- it still went up to 95 in there the last sunny day (mid 50's outside), but the vent works! Got it 2 for the price of one, plus a 5% Tuesday discount, from a supply place called Panama Red..... smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Transplanted tomatoes and cucs into their greenhouse containers yesterday, still have a couple to go.

Someone likes to help "garden"... mosly creating hazard-holes.....

Transplanted the cucs into their greenhouse containers last night. Looking a bit sickly this morning, but they always do that. They'll recover. I hope.... smile

Last edited by las; 05/14/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's too early to plant. I'm only at 2900' but it's been down in the 30's a lot and a few days ago 28*. There been a few snow flurries too so planting would take be crop failure.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Passive greenhouse! smile. Lettuce and some other stuff can be planted "as soon as the ground can be worked".

We had snow flurries yesterday morning, and down to 26 a couple nights ago. But yeah, outside planting here needs another week or so, too- generally it's figured for June 1.

Last edited by las; 05/14/22.

M
MLC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by MLC

No deer where you are, gotta have a 6’ fence at my house?? This is the cshit I have to put up with, live next to hundreds of acres of woods.

Yes plenty of deer. But finally after trying everything to keep them out I ran across Milorganite. I broadcast a border all around the garden. It’s a high nitrogen fertilizer made from human waste from sewer plants. Deer ate my green beans down last year as soon as they came out of the ground. This year not a deer track anywhere. On the other side of the field I planted a summer food plot for them and there mowing it down.

Last edited by MLC; 05/14/22.

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
IC B2

M
MLC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Milorganite is composed of heat-dried microbes that have digested the organic material in wastewater. It's manufactured by the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, which captures waste water from the metropolitan Milwaukee area and uses naturally occurring microbes to digest the nutrients. After the organic matter has been consumed, the cleaned water is returned to Lake Michigan and the resulting material is dried and marketed as Milorganite.

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by slumlord

Is that dog lurking in the background wearing sunglasses?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm trying Jim Beam tomatoes this year. Tomatos grown in Jim Beam bourbon barrels.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I’m jealous of you guys further south.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MLC

Dad gum...

What part the state?

Last year i planted too early.

This year was wet in April. Planted 2 weeks ago.

Nothing like what you have.....

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well we had snow squalls on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday but it got to 80* today. Actually got to leave the plants in the greenhouse the last couple of days. Not really going to get after it till June.

M
MLC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by MLC

Dad gum...

What part the state?

Last year i planted too early.

This year was wet in April. Planted 2 weeks ago.

Nothing like what you have.....
I’m in Perkinston which is about 32 miles north of Gulfport.
I planted on March 23.

Winston Church
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Dozens of nice tomatoes on the vine.

[Linked Image]

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
22 degrees this morning. Have yet to visit the passive greenhouse - and my wife has flowers (about 5X the footprint of my edibles!). hardening outside. Or maybe had. I hope they didna't freexe, because then she will spedn $500 -or probobly closer to $1,000 - buying fugginflowers to fuss over all summer.

I have one lettuce plant coming along outside - or had- it was a volunteer from last year's planting- now that's some slow germination! smile

My tomatoes are just starting to bloom. If they didn't freeze last night, should have some sometime in July.

More coffee!

Last edited by las; 05/15/22.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[bleep] deer pulling up my tomatoes

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,532
Posts18,530,954
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.