Home
Posted By: jnyork Diesel fuel through the roof - 05/17/22
Went to fuel up my Ram 3500 with the Cummins engine. Fuel pump shut off at $125.00 and didn't even get a full tank.

Gonna be a bunch of really nice used RV's for sale pretty soon.

How long before the truckers have to shut down?

FJB.
The trucks will shut down when the economy crashes. Until then, the freight rates will keep going up as long as diesel fuel keeps going up.
I was driving through California in April and my pickup takes gasoline and the pump shut off when it hit $100. I did not fill the tank.

On that trip I needed to stop and refill when I was at a 1/2 tank. A half tank is real close to $100 I my F-150

Plus to add on to your comments. There is a bunch of motor homes for sale. The few motorhome owners that I know pulling a vehicle are making about 4 to 5 miles to the gallon on the freeways.
Diesel is pricey. I love my Duramax 3.0 and glad it gets the mileage that it does but I hate looking at $5.20 a gallon or so...
$6.79 here.

!
Most likely be able to find many fairly new Duramax/Powerstroke/Cummins trucks soon
at the bottom of lakes
after being reported as stolen.
Originally Posted by RickBin
$6.79 here.

!

Damn^^^^^
Posted By: efw Re: Diesel fuel through the roof - 05/17/22
Trust the plan

We’ll build back better

You’ll own nothing and be happy smile
When does the rationing start????

???

I believe I’ve heard rationing was going to take place from a couple of the “Hillary is being indicted tomorrow people”

Or was it the “1188 Italian Futbol players have died from the jab people”

I guess I better go fill up the tractor and my jugs. Elijah said “Bring all thy vessels”
Turn off the Guns of Navarone, put down the Fritos and Pepsi and go fill em up.
Posted By: Teal Re: Diesel fuel through the roof - 05/17/22
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
The trucks will shut down when the economy crashes. Until then, the freight rates will keep going up as long as diesel fuel keeps going up.

The freight market is made up of 2 separate markets. Spot/Contract.

Contract fright is priced linehaul plus fuel. That freight will continue to move as FSC will continue to rise with fuel costs. Most shipper's financial look is at the Linehaul and "whatever fuel was - it is, not going to argue about that".

Spot freight usually is priced "all in" and the carrier/shipper settles on a price they hope the cost of fuel doesn't swing wildly.

Right now - spot freight pricing is less than Contract WITHOUT FUEL. Still, there isn't a rush from contract freight to spot freight right now and spot pricing is deteriorating.

Shippers want stability in their budget. We've seen upward pressure on transportation costs long enough that budgets should reflect those increases/reality. There's little reason to budget 100, bust that down to 30, reset at 30 and watch things change and push expenditures to 45 (showing you broke budget - again) - so to speak by rushing to the spot market and the carriers that service it.

Contract price will start to come down the longer spot stays well below contract but I don't believe there will be a race to get contract as close as possible to spot like there may have been in the past. Spot is down due to changes in supply and demand in that segment of the market. Less demand, plenty (for now) supply. A very large segment of carriers are small and operate almost exclusively in the spot markets. If fuel stays high and they're unable or unwilling to drive costs out of their operations or enter the contract market - they'll close up.

Stability for shippers will be the name of the game. Move contract down when/as you can in small steps, you still have to be good stewards of your company's resources/money but not so low you erode primary carrier acceptance of your routing guide. No need to ride the knife's edge of rates. I don't know if most of the small guys can hold onto things long enough. Given how many really don't even know their cost to run - I'd not hold my breath.
Hey Rick

We really need a headless chicken, animated with blood spurts emoji

Chop
Chop

If youre not too busy 🤓
Posted By: hanco Re: Diesel fuel through the roof - 05/17/22
They shut off at a 100 here
Just filled up the farm tank with off-road diesel for $5.10 gal. Fertilizer for our hay fields was only $1,050 a ton yesterday. Same fertilizer last year was $375 a ton. I'm not sure how much of this fun I can afford. My wife has been giving me pep talks. She claims this is the devil's plan, and says don't give up and let them win. She saved me once 35 years ago hopefully she'll do it again.
Originally Posted by hanco

$150 here.

Had to put my card in 3 times the last time I filled up.

Just under $450.

mad
Posted By: las Re: Diesel fuel through the roof - 05/17/22
Some $75 here, some $100, I think some places shut off still above that. Still, it pisses me off to run the card again. I avoid the lower cut-off places, and fill up at half-tank, should probably change that to quarter.

Diesel is mid-$5.00 plus or minus 20 cents, depending on location. Gas about 20 cents cheaper.
I quit driving my Diesel trucks when it went over $5 bucks.
My gas trucks don't have the pulling power, but I'll make them work before paying $5+ a gallon.

Tony
XOM over 92$/share at the close today.

Ole joe is really killing big oil ain’t he?
According to things I have read, oil companies and refineries are making record profits. They have no incentive to produce more and they have the cooperation of the federal government. Boycotting Russian oil and canceling drilling leases, is another factor driving the cost of fuel and everything made of fossil fuels. Hard to believe this is not intentional.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Diesel fuel through the roof - 05/17/22
Of course the oil companies have no incentive to produce more. This administration is seeing to that...This administration can scream bloody murder about the big bad oil companies making record profits all the while acting like they care that the little man is taking it in the shorts.

All this administration would have to do is stop restricting the oil companies and instead give them some incentives to up production, instead they have said that they want to make everyone go green and kill the fossil fuel industry.
Buddy rolled up to work today with his new (used) truck. 2017 super duty with a 6.7. told him nice truck but....really? His daily driver with about 45 mile round trip.
Posted By: las Re: Diesel fuel through the roof - 05/17/22
That 80 mpg Honda my wife just bought may be looking better if it's just for transporting a person somewhere. Should I learn to ride?

No so good for hauling firewood or dogs around tho. smile
Originally Posted by TRnCO
Of course the oil companies have no incentive to produce more. This administration is seeing to that...This administration can scream bloody murder about the big bad oil companies making record profits all the while acting like they care that the little man is taking it in the shorts.

All this administration would have to do is stop restricting the oil companies and instead give them some incentives to up production, instead they have said that they want to make everyone go green and kill the fossil fuel industry.

That's exactly what they are doing.

They raised all sorts of taxes on fuel and oil production too.

That makes investors very reluctant to be exposed to higher taxes when they could invest with more return in other investments.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

$150 here.

Just under $450.

mad
Cheese and Crackers - what the hell are you driving? shocked
Filling mine from empty would run about $250... LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
My '91 F800 will need filling tomorrow. Should take about 60 gallons. I'm excited. GD
Red diesel is $5 here.

For years the Texans and wealthy investors here on the ‘fire have cheered high oil prices and told everyone to invest in Exxon or STFU.

How’s them apples?
Originally Posted by 45_100
According to things I have read, oil companies and refineries are making record profits. They have no incentive to produce more and they have the cooperation of the federal government. Boycotting Russian oil and canceling drilling leases, is another factor driving the cost of fuel and everything made of fossil fuels. Hard to believe this is not intentional.

We have less refining capacity today than we did 3-4 years ago. Reckon that could be a reason we can't keep up with demand? That, and the fact that we imported 1M bbls/day of refined distillates from Russia before we shut that down?
Originally Posted by TRnCO

That's exactly what they are doing.

They raised all sorts of taxes on fuel and oil production too.

That makes investors very reluctant to be exposed to higher taxes when they could invest with more return in other investments.

The Democrats’ goal end game being nationalization .
Shell oil has a mothballed refinery located on the Mississippi River in Louisiana that was determined to be not a viable part of their portfolio.

They’re now going to reopen it and put it back in service. I believe that the capacity is over 200,000 bbls of oil/day processing.
A lot of this is due to the lack of rail shipping. Thats what going on with the pilot stations.
Originally Posted by Limomaker
A lot of this is due to the lack of rail shipping. Thats what going on with the pilot stations.

The railways are congested. There was a thread on that here a short while ago.
Originally Posted by Limomaker

Are they out of fuel or what?
My smart daughter bought a hybrid Toyota SUV last year. She keeps it plugged in on her employer's dime all day. She says that she puts "some" gas in it about every 1 1/2-2 months.
Teal, your post was solid. I appreciated the education!
Posted By: Teal Re: Diesel fuel through the roof - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Teal, your post was solid. I appreciated the education!

Thanks, Just perspective of doing this all day over the last decade plus. I tend to have focus on freight markets, how they work etc.

There's more to this of course but that's the cliff notes.
Diesel is $6.25 here and rising every couple days. Regular gas just jumper from $4.59 to $4.75 over night. Things are going to crash and crash hard!
I paid 6.49 this weekend in upstate NY. This fall will get interesting when heating oil demand here in the northeast adds to the mix. I’m thinking we could see $10 diesel. Interesting time for midterm elections…..
Originally Posted by bbassi

$150 here.

Just under $450.

mad
Cheese and Crackers - what the hell are you driving? shocked

Just an F350, but I have an 85 gallon transfer tank in the rear so I can fuel my equipment.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That’s quite a mesquite cutter on the skid steer.
Posted By: EdM Re: Diesel fuel through the roof - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Shell oil has a mothballed refinery located on the Mississippi River in Louisiana that was determined to be not a viable part of their portfolio.

They’re now going to reopen it and put it back in service. I believe that the capacity is over 200,000 bbls of oil/day processing.

Well sort of.

https://www.bicmagazine.com/project...ouisiana-refinery-as-alternative-energy/
Filled up Friday. Got a little over 18 gallons for $100.
Originally Posted by elkaddict
I paid 6.49 this weekend in upstate NY. This fall will get interesting when heating oil demand here in the northeast adds to the mix. I’m thinking we could see $10 diesel. Interesting time for midterm elections…..

Brandon hasn't seen anything yet:

Wait until people are starving AND freezing!
Originally Posted by Houston_2
That’s quite a mesquite cutter on the skid steer.

It can cut pretty good sized brush. But I prefer to pull mesquite and huisache. It doesn't come back that way.

Puller is the way to go.

My machine really drinks diesel too. High horsepower = high fuel costs.

Nice machine... I wish I could run rubber tracks.
Filled up My F-350 yesterday 5.49 , 175.00 , Wifes car @ 4.00 per gallon, 60.00 . Thanks Brandon. UFPOS.
Most of the pumps here cut off at $200.00 now. Sadly thats not a full tank.
Posted By: hanco Re: Diesel fuel through the roof - 05/18/22
I have two diesel trucks, Yee haw!! Driving old jeep around as much as I can!
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
You mean like long haul truckers? High fuel prices devastate independent long haul truckers and they aren't operating on billion dollar margins. Independent commercial fisherman are away for weeks or months at a time and they are negatively affected by price gouging at the pump.

If long haul truckers and commercial fisherman are too stupid to adjust their freight rates with the fluctuations in fuel prices then they need to go to business school 101.

People whining over fuel prices reminds me of when I worked at my dad's truck stop when I was a kid. This California prunepicker pulls in and starts filling his mercedes up with diesel, then commences to chew my ass out over how high it is. My dad happens to see what's going on and comes outside, and this mullet starts in on him. Dad would have none of it, stops him in mid sentence, and says "did you see me out there on the street corner waving your sorry ass in here? No, you didn't so shut the hell up". I was laughing my butt off.
You can't just raise rates to compensate for fuel.

Trucking Sector fallout from Target's 1B freight cost INCREASE
Originally Posted by Teal

Yep.

Sooner or later it's got to have a ceiling.

When people quit buying products that need to be trucked, and truckers and farmers can't make any money because of fuel costs, they quit buying or go out of business, then the ceiling will be reached.

Problem is govt. sticking their fingers in the pie and messing with things. They prop things up artificially with subsidies etc. and prolong the agony.
$519 for Regular and Diesel in ER AK Tday thanks JOE
I agree, but there's the fuel surcharge on every load nowadays isn't there? At least there used to be when prices soared.
I agree, but there's the fuel surcharge on every load nowadays isn't there? At least there used to be when prices soared.

I get one on our nightly delivery from CalArk
$6.07 as of this morning here.

🦫
I've got a load sitting in Oakley, ID and need it moved to Frederick, MD. I usually use TQL as a broker for this lane. Two years ago, I was paying about $4000. Last year it went to $5000, then to $5500.00. Then last October I paid $6200. That's about a 45% increase in two years. My broker just sent me an email telling me that it might go as high as $7000 to get it moved. I told him that I wanted to start off at $6000. I'll bump it up every day or two until it moves. The brokers hate it when I do that. Sometimes I get a deal, and sometimes I don't. It's the game I have to play so that I don't have to raise the price of the material.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Diesel fuel through the roof - 05/18/22
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Production Started 04/26/2022

No. Not on spot freight.
Originally Posted by Raeford

I get one on our nightly delivery from CalArk

I would think so - that's contract freight.

Cost right now on the average truck is about .80 cents a mile just in fuel to operate the truck right now and that assumes a 7mpg truck. Each FSC will be set in that contract based on a peg etc.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I've got a load sitting in Oakley, ID and need it moved to Frederick, MD. I usually use TQL as a broker for this lane. Two years ago, I was paying about $4000. Last year it went to $5000, then to $5500.00. Then last October I paid $6200. That's about a 45% increase in two years. My broker just sent me an email telling me that it might go as high as $7000 to get it moved. I told him that I wanted to start off at $6000. I'll bump it up every day or two until it moves. The brokers hate it when I do that. Sometimes I get a deal, and sometimes I don't. It's the game I have to play so that I don't have to raise the price of the material.

The average price paid to the truck on that lane over the last 2 weeks? $4525 and that includes fuel. Assume VAN freight.

Flatbed is $7541 over the last 30 days but that's crap/old data, nothing newer is available and I'd not trust it as far as a rate to be looking today. DAT's national flat bed average in the west right now, overall is 2.95 a mile.

Right now - I see your load posted by TQL on the board (posted 12 mins ago) without a price listed - hoping a carrier will offer theirs to start things off. There are 34 trucks posted to that same board looking for freight - directionally the same as your load. The nearest one that can make your posted weight - 146 miles away.

2 other competitor loads - W. Jordan UT to Brooklyn NY - similar miles (2196 to your 2218) and they're being offered at 4900 to the truck but have sat a while.

Probably asking for a truck @ 5500, premium to competitors freight but also - not NYC - that's still quite the mark up for TQL at 7k when average broker margin is 15%, the 6k would be in line.
Originally Posted by Teal

Barron’s has a good article on “Fears of the freight recession just got real”.

Follows much of what you and Dutch have been saying for a while now.
local logging co told his crew when fuel hits 6 bucks they are done ,so I guess they got about 2 weeks to go
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
local logging co told his crew when fuel hits 6 bucks they are done ,so I guess they got about 2 weeks to go

I just stopped at the Hardee’s to grab some biscuits.

Log truck and big crew truck were idling while guys inside were eating and BS’ing.

They aren’t hurting yet…..
Posted By: Teal Re: Diesel fuel through the roof - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter

I just stopped at the Hardee’s to grab some biscuits.

Log truck and big crew truck were idling while guys inside were eating and BS’ing.

They aren’t hurting yet…..

Likely the operators are ignorant - the guy signing the fuel bill is hurting....
© 24hourcampfire