Home
Posted By: shrapnel Record Day With The Gophers - 05/17/22
I have shot more, but not more without a miss. I bought a new Cooper rifle in 17 CCM and it is a perfect gopher gun. I took it, a 17 Remington, a 223 and a 17 HMR shooting gophers. I started with the 17 CCM and before I knew it I had shot 12 in a row without a miss. I was wondering how long I could keep up the streak. I kept shooting and I even got 3 doubles and a triple while I was running my streak.

Then, wouldn't you know it, before I could shoot a complete box of 50 without a miss, I missed a chip shot. 48 rounds without a miss, 49 was a gimme and I missed it. 49/50 on gophers isn't bad. A total of 54 with 50 shots fired certainly isn't a bad showing for 1 box of cartridges.

I ended up with a total 200 confirmed kills on the clicker...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A bloodbath...congrats...I love shooting those Gophers !
Kool........

must'a been gopher-dog day today....

Ran about 190 rds out this morning myself

I call a 'good dog patch' 60-65 rds per hour...

Single shot Savage.......20 Vartarg today

I dare ya to laugh at my $20 umbrella.......

neato.
Nice to see the “ShamWow” getting a workout.

🦫

PS

Sweet umbrella, Tik. 😂
Originally Posted by Beaver10

🦫

PS

Sweet umbrella, Tik. 😂

had that fugger steamin'
Originally Posted by Beaver10

🦫

PS

Sweet umbrella, Tik. 😂

32 gr Noslers out to 550+
Shrapnel: You are having entirely to much fun!
Good for you though.
I have run into the fifties without a miss several times - on Prairie Dogs!
But Ground Squirrels are much smaller targets and are much more prone to darting away just as the "trigger breaks"!
I am sure that is what happened on your 48th shot?
It is VERY hard to even get into the 30's straight on Ground Squirrels - even with centerfire Rifles.
Good for you on the doubles and the triple - those are smile making feats as well.
Keep up the good work and great photos.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Scotty Re: Record Day With The Gophers - 05/18/22
Good Shooting, sounds like fun. I have not been out to shoot prairie dogs for awhile now.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Record Day With The Gophers - 05/18/22
Sounds like a you had a blast shooting that nice rig.
Methinks you had a gopher problem... eek The operative word there is "had"... laugh
You are still over 100% Good shootin.
You can miss?
Need one of those clickers!

Awesome rifle and cartridge btw!
That miss on number 49 is like the fifth shot of a pinkie nail size group that decides it doesn’t want to be near its buddies.

Looks like fun! No colony critters around here and I’m sure the farmers are glad of it but crows are about the only chance to get more than one, maybe two shots.

I got a triple on crows one time. They were lined up on a limb and I thought I was shooting at one…a handload with the 80 grain Power Lokt out of my 243 showed me its expansion qualities.
Originally Posted by deflave
You can miss?

Had the H&R Ultra in 17 Remington out. I did that in remembrance of the old glory days of gophers when you would still show up once in awhile…
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Congrats on the new record!

Looks like a Saturday night in Schitcago........
Shot prairie dogs in '01, as I tagged my pronghorn the first day. Had a blast. Groundhogs aren't as cooperative, at least for me. Been to numerous farms that are "polluted" with chucks, but never when I'm there. Glad some people are burnin' powder.
You can miss?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
You can miss?

I would be lying if I said that didn't get a good LOL.

Just Sayin.
Eileen and I have been shooting gophers on a local ranch since early March. You might even remember the rancher, who was in my class at Bozeman Senior High, when you were a year behind us. (Won't reveal his name here....)

Have killed quite a few, and are going out again tomorrow morning. So far have been keeping track by using a pen on paper, but yesterday Eileen bought me an Father's Day Present (even thought I am only a "father" to our two dogs), a clicker somewhat like yours--and the ones used by bird-guides in Argentina when dove shooting. Have noticed over the decades that clickers get going pretty rapidly, whether when shooting gophers or doves. Am NOT saying yours is one of those rapid-clickers, but have noticed how quickly yours works--even when you're shooting a LOT, and spending more time on the trigger....
Good shooting!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Eileen and I have been shooting gophers on a local ranch since early March. You might even remember the rancher, who was in my class at Bozeman Senior High, when you were a year behind us. (Won't reveal his name here....)

Have killed quite a few, and are going out again tomorrow morning. So far have been keeping track by using a pen on paper, but yesterday Eileen bought me an Father's Day Present (even thought I am only a "father" to our two dogs), a clicker somewhat like yours--and the ones used by bird-guides in Argentina when dove shooting. Have noticed over the decades that clickers get going pretty rapidly, whether when shooting gophers or doves. Am NOT saying yours is one of those rapid-clickers, but have noticed how quickly yours works--even when you're shooting a LOT, and spending more time on the trigger....

Prairie dogs next week at Bob’s???
Posted By: clwg97 Re: Record Day With The Gophers - 05/18/22
I have shot more, but not more without a miss. I bought a new Coop[er rifle in 17 CCM and it is a perfect gopher gun. I took it, a 17 Remington, a 223 and a 17 HMR shooting gophers. I started with the 17 CCM and before I knew it I had shot 12 in a row without a miss. I was wondering how long I could keep up the streak. I kept shooting and I even got 3 doubles and a triple while I was running my streak.

Then, wouldn't you know it, before I could shoot a complete box of 50 without a miss, I missed a chip shot. 48 rounds without a miss, 49 was a gimme and I missed it. 49/50 on gophers isn't bad. A total of 54 with 50 shots fired certainly isn't a bad showing for 1 box of cartridges.

Looks like 1 more wants to get shot and is sticking its head out of the hole in the bottom left. is that one already shot and just tried to climb back in the hole?
Originally Posted by clwg97
I have shot more, but not more without a miss. I bought a new Coop[er rifle in 17 CCM and it is a perfect gopher gun. I took it, a 17 Remington, a 223 and a 17 HMR shooting gophers. I started with the 17 CCM and before I knew it I had shot 12 in a row without a miss. I was wondering how long I could keep up the streak. I kept shooting and I even got 3 doubles and a triple while I was running my streak.

Looks like 1 more wants to get shot and is sticking its head out of the hole in the bottom left. is that one already shot and just tried to climb back in the hole?

I doubt he’s thinking much at all. One of the triplets that I got with the one shot…
Posted By: clwg97 Re: Record Day With The Gophers - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by clwg97

I doubt he’s thinking much at all. One of the triplets that I got with the one shot…

Awesome!
All in a day's work.
I have one of those counters.

It's for counting sheep.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

It's for counting sheep.

Who’s sheep?
All sheep.

My sheep...sleep sheep.

It's for counting sheep.

Who’s sheep?

Live ones.

Needing to count dead things is more than a bit creepy.

I have been around and shot large volumes of PD and gophers and can say anyone using a counter for the day is creepy.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

It's for counting sheep.

Who’s sheep?

Live ones.

I have been around and shot large volumes of PD and gophers and can say anyone using a counter for the day is creepy.

Says the MF'er that posts pics and videos of LR kills to prove he's the "Real Deal"! LOL LOL LOL

Couldn't make this schidt up!
Originally Posted by Higginez
Who’s sheep?

Live ones.

Says the MF'er that posts pics and videos of LR kills to prove he's the "Real Deal"! LOL LOL LOL

The critters I eat all the away to the bone?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

It's for counting sheep.

Who’s sheep?

Live ones.

Speaking of creepy, there can’t be anything more creepy than a horse’s ass with a Desoto hood for a forehead. You really should consider wearing a paper bag over that head if yours…
Speaking of creepy, there can’t be anything more creepy than a horse’s ass with a Desoto hood for a forehead. You really should consider wearing a paper bag over that head if yours…

LOL.

I now own your thread.

Burns is counting more than anybody cause it's all he has.
Burns is counting more than anybody cause it's all he has.

And now the thread is about me.

Who saw that coming?

Me.

LOL.

I now own your thread.

You also own the only mobile space relay station that NASA uses to send back pictures of the far side of the galaxy to your forehead with that empty chamber behind it to give the least amount of distortion to the high frequency signals sent from outer space.

Everyone on the Campfire now shares the same disappointment your mother did when she first saw you in the incubator at the animal shelter. She only brought you home because she thought she was getting a new Teflon coated frying pan…
You also own the only mobile space relay station that NASA uses to send back pictures of the far side of the galaxy to your forehead with that empty chamber behind it to give the least amount of distortion to the high frequency signals sent from outer space.

Everyone on the Campfire now shares the same disappointment your mother did when she first saw you in the incubator at the animal shelter. She only brought you home because she thought she was getting a new Teflon coated frying pan…

Wow.

I have hats. But I own your thread cause I got bored, which is super funny, Bicht.

You can miss?

Had the H&R Ultra in 17 Remington out. I did that in remembrance of the old glory days of gophers when you would still show up once in awhile…

.17 Rem is unbeatable.
Who’s sheep?

Live ones.

The critters I eat all the away to the bone?

Of Course JohnBoozeFace omits all the gut shot runaways he accumulates each year.

Fugkin' lard ass.
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
You can miss?

That did make me LOL but let's not forget you're a Clays Queen and nothing more.

Loser.
Posted By: Osky Re: Record Day With The Gophers - 05/18/22
Great shooting Shrapnel. I hope they stay in the above dirt mode. I’m heading out next day or two near Miles.

Osky
She only brought you home because she thought she was getting a new Teflon coated frying pan…

ROR
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Record Day With The Gophers - 05/18/22
ya know a guy doesn't need a clicker to keep track of hits and misses, simply flip primer up when you put the brass back in your box. Hits = brass neck up, misses =primer up. Makes it easy to count. And congrats on the nice string of kills.
Burns loves the bone.

LOL, the king of dick measuring just came out against dick measuring.

What's next, "Musk says EVs just a pipe dream?"
Originally Posted by TRnCO
ya know a guy doesn't need a clicker to keep track of hits and misses, simply flip primer up when you put the brass back in your box. Hits = brass neck up, misses =primer up. Makes it easy to count. And congrats on the nice string of kills.

You obviously don't shoot as much as we do. single shots are for the range, when gophers and Prairie Dogs are out, you need several rifles and a clicker.

Posted By: TRnCO Re: Record Day With The Gophers - 05/18/22
yeah what ever. Sounds like you need to use AR's. Like prairie dogs aren't think in other parts of the country. Laughin'
yeah what ever. Sounds like you need to use AR's. Like prairie dogs aren't think in other parts of the country. Laughin'

Understood, no mudslinging just an observation. When we’re shooting and in the fields after gophers or prairie dogs we have so many different guns and they all usually have magazines with them so one individual round back-and-forth in a cartridge container usually isn’t the easiest thing to accommodate.

You obviously don't shoot as much as we do. single shots are for the range, when gophers and Prairie Dogs are out, you need several rifles and a clicker.

The rifles/optiks pictured are prolly edging up on the value of the sled that’s carrying them.

LOL.

I now own your thread.

There’s a few things that get me actually laughing here on the ‘fire…. This was one of them.
Shrap, Good job on the gophers & the 5head !

LOL.

I now own your thread.

Why would one person want to own another person's thread? SMH in wonderment at some people's inflated view of themselves..................

LOL.

I now own your thread.

And a billboard, don't forget the billboard

How many Mexicans can you fit in that truck?

Lol

🦫
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Why would one person want to own another person's thread? SMH in wonderment at some people's inflated view of themselves..................

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I think Burns just has a boner for Shrapnel.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by BayouRover

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I think Burns just has a boner for Shrapnel.

You have a point.

The changing guns and clothes with the moose pictures probably bothers me more than it should.

I shall be better and Kirk is probably a decent fellow.
Shrapnel: I have and have used thumb-operated clickers (counters) on dozens of occasions over the last 5 1/2 decades of my extensive Colony Varminting.
This includes Varmint Safaris for Rock Chucks, Prairie Dogs and the aforementioned Ground Squirrels.
On many of those occasions I (we) have been asked by the land owners (ranchers/farmers/orchardists) to provide them with the numbers of kills that we made on their lands.
I am more than happy to give them an accurate count (especially impressive counts!) to help prevent them from initiating "poisoning" programs!
In fact I often bring along a spare clicker counter in case someone in our party wants to keep track of their own hits/misses.
On one memorable trip back in 1971, to a western state, on Rock Chuck Safari, we used a thumb counter to keep track our kills - "it" turned over on the sixth day of our seven day Hunt!
Thats right it passed over 999 to begin at 1,000 that sixth day - aaahhh.... those were the good old days of Rock Chuckin.
The dairy farmers in that area were very pleased with our efforts (totals).
I see nothing wrong, what so ever, with using a click counter on Varmint Safaris.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by robertham1

The rifles/optiks pictured are prolly edging up on the value of the sled that’s carrying them.

I was thinking of using that pic in our Hunter's Ed class to show people how to properly transport firearms to the hunting grounds.

one shot/one kill.....

always another dog waiting for a fresh round in the chamber

These dogs aren't 30" bucks......

All my dog guns are Salvage s/shots
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Shrapnel: I have and have used thumb-operated clickers (counters) on dozens of occasions over the last 5 1/2 decades of my extensive Colony Varminting.
This includes Varmint Safaris for Rock Chucks, Prairie Dogs and the aforementioned Ground Squirrels.
On many of those occasions I (we) have been asked by the land owners (ranchers/farmers/orchardists) to provide them with the numbers of kills that we made on their lands.
I am more than happy to give them an accurate count (especially impressive counts!) to help prevent them from initiating "poisoning" programs!
In fact I often bring along a spare clicker counter in case someone in our party wants to keep track of their own hits/misses.
On one memorable trip back in 1971, to a western state, on Rock Chuck Safari, we used a thumb counter to keep track our kills - "it" turned over on the sixth day of our seven day Hunt!
Thats right it passed over 999 to begin at 1,000 that sixth day - aaahhh.... those were the good old days of Rock Chuckin.
The dairy farmers in that area were very pleased with our efforts (totals).
I see nothing wrong, what so ever, with using a click counter on Varmint Safaris.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

No time for clickers.........
VarmintGuy,

That's basically the same reason Eileen and I use a clicker when shooting gophers on the land of our rancher friends. (One goes all the way back to when we attended high school together.) We don't want him to poison them--and obviously neither does he, since it's far cheaper to have a few local friends thin them out.

Might also mention that there's not always time to return fired cases primer up-or-down when the shooting's hot. Plus, the majority of gophers we shoot are taken with rimfires. I'm one of those who stocked up considerably on .17 HMR ammo when it was less than $10 for a box of 50....
Nice shooting...

Congrats on the high score. Fun stuff.

We have to keep track of deer like that on the Damage Permits (but just a note pad).
Posted By: HawkI Re: Record Day With The Gophers - 05/19/22
I like the 222 Mag and 50 grainers for gophers....

Believe me, the clicker is necessary to keep everyone honest.

Its common etiquette to discuss whether a "winged" varmint is a hit or not. On occasion the click gets subtracted after much debate.

The clicker does not get used on anything with feathers, as a rule...
Posted By: GreggH Re: Record Day With The Gophers - 05/19/22
That looks like it would be fun. I imagine a side benefit of the clicker would be to keep the ranch owner informed of how much is being taken off the property.

GreggH
© 24hourcampfire