Home
Posted By: Hastings ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
My bride is lobbying for a zero turn mower. Any recommendations on what to get and just as importantly what not to get? We don't need a $10K + model. She cuts our 1 1/2 acre yard and shop yard. She has been complaining about her 28" cut Snapper and I like for her to be happy. Got to have electric start so I don't have to come home and start it.

A wife that cuts grass is good to have around. Now if I could just get her to clean fish and pick ducks.
Posted By: sactoller Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
I got a Spartan mower last summer and have been very happy with it.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
I bought a used Exmark from a coworker liquidating his side mowing business, 2003 model year, in 2010. I've used it way too rough on our rock patch, uneven, tree rooted up yard that is a glorified rock patch. Any issues I have had were self induced, but it keeps on going.

I think all the big names are good though, they're mostly all using commodity type components and bolting them to their frame.

Buy it by the pound is an old saying that is true.
Spartan was started by founder of Bad Boy after he sold his shares of Bad Boy. Then Toro just bought out Spartan a few months back. Toro also owns Exmark as of 1997 and LawnBoy. Didn't realize the extent they were in the mowing manufacturers.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
Snapper 360z. It’s not really a Snapper. It’s a Ferris without the commercial suspension. A 48 or 52 inch version with the Kawasaki motor is perfect for your needs.
Posted By: overmax Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
I have a 6 year old bad boy 60” cut, I mow four acres. No real issues, I would buy bad boy again. Before that we had a 50” cub cadet for 10-12 my brother still has it.

My neighbor has a 60” cut Gravely that’s many years old and a newer Huskquarna. All the above have been good mowers. Probably not much help.

Buy from a good dealer. Got my Bad Boy in Tioga, I service it myself but they have always had a part if I needed it.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
She needs to take lessons on the proper posture for operation before acquiring a zero-turn. It is absolutely vital to sit bolt upright and to look straight ahead with a look of seriousness akin to disarming a bomb. To deviate from looking straight ahead or to smile violates the code of the zero-turn mower operator.
Posted By: KFWA Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
Husqvarna Z248F

Kawasaki motor
Fabricated Deck

$3200

I don't think you can get a better one for less
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
On the low end, any of the ones you can get from a big box with a V-Twin Kawasaki for under $3500 should serve you well.

For slightly more money:

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listin...d-48-zero-turn-lawn-mowers-outdoor-power

Stepping up a notch to this one would probably be money well spent at $4500

https://ranchlandtractor.com/Lawn-M...-MS-e1cc7805-01c9-4561-a027-ae9701019758
Posted By: smithrjd Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
Most of the big names are good, look for the Kawasaki V twin engine with 20+HP. Another thing to look at is the hydrostatic transmission, they are not all the same. Some are sealed and cannot be serviced. The uprated ones have oil filters and can be serviced. Saying all that last year I bought a Ferris. Very happy so far 26HRS. Pushing it on 8 acres cleared that has to be mowed. Even though Ferris is now owned by Briggs and Straton I got one with the Kawasaki engine. It was about $3200, but I got a deal as I bought a tractor as well.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
If she’s going to use it, take her and let her pick it out. Just grit your teeth and pay for it. I’d buy one of a brand that a local place stocks parts for.

The secret to running a zero turn is to grab the handles and pretend you are pushing a grocery cart. They are pretty fun to use.
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
Have had the Snapper 360z for several years and its been very reliable. Got it from O'Connor's and their service before and after the sale was great. As someone mentioned they are built by Ferris and I've beat hell outa mine without any serious issues. Replaced belts/blades and such a few times but nothing that I didn't cause. Chopping sagebrush up will occasionally wear out a belt and blades. Mine was less that current prices, but they still look pretty competitive.

Snapper 360z
Posted By: hanco Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
Bad Boy!!
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
It used to be just ZTR, "Zero Turn Radius".
I've got about 2 acres of yard, interspersed by a garden, grape vineyards, blackberry trellis, fruit and nut trees and the obligatory shrubs, bushes and barns.
A ZTR would be nice, but I can't see spending $4 to $5K for a lawnmower.
I have a Troybilt, 42" cut, rider. A lot cheaper and does the job just fine.

....and yes, I'd have a ZTR in a heartbeat....if I could talk myself into turning loose with that much cash! LOL!
Posted By: Docbar Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
I’ve had a 60 inch Bad Boy CZT for several years. I mow my yard and my Mom’s yard. About 4 acres. It’s been a good mower, but some of the wires are tight and have pulled loose a few times. It’s annoying, but a cheap and easy fix.
Posted By: JeffA Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
If my horses can't get to it a lawn service has to or I just let it grow.

Spend too much time outdoors recreating to waste even a moment cutting grass.

Imagine the quality fly fishing gear a guy could buy with the money spent on a mower, oil and gas...

It's a no brainer.....
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
I was a Hustler fan until they went cheapo big box store crap. If I were in the market I'd look hard at Scag.
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
I was a Hustler fan until they went cheapo big box store crap. If I were in the market I'd look hard at Scag.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just invest in the Scag & be done with it!

College buddy is an engineer at Hustler. They’ll sell you non cheap big box store stuff as well. Said they have one that will mow a football field in 8 minutes.
Posted By: Toddly Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
Cub pro Z with steering wheel. They are fantastic especially on hills.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by Cheesy

College buddy is an engineer at Hustler. They’ll sell you non cheap big box store stuff as well. Said they have one that will mow a football field in 8 minutes.
I bought one of the first "residential" size 44" / 18hp Fastrak's in 2003 it was a tank. Traded it in in 2011 on a 60" 31hp Super Z. It's a beast and I hope it lasts the rest of my life. Quality on the new Super Z's seems to have slightly slipped a bit in the past 10 years. Hustler has to compete with a lot more companies than it did 20 years ago.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by 3dtestify

+1

Love my Scag
Posted By: Toddly Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
Traded my Scag for a Cub pro Z 900. An absolute beast of a mower that weighs 1600 lbs with a Kawasaki 1000 engine. All wheel steering allows you to cut grades only the vent trac was able to. Amazing technology.

[Linked Image from ]
Posted By: Hastings Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
+1
Love my Scag
Never heard of a Scag. My all around mechanic friend advised against a Cub Cadet, he recommended ExMark or Bad Boy. There were a couple of mentions of $3200.I didn't think they went that cheap but I'm into saving money. Of course I don't buy junk to save money. I'm too poor to buy cheap (cheaply made) stuff.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
Husqvarna 54" I do our 2 acre yard in about 1.25 hours and that's going around tree's. They are a lot faster but if you turn it around as a zero turn you will dig up the grass on the slow turning wheel, at least I do at times.
Posted By: Huntaholic Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by DANNYL
Husqvarna 54" I do our 2 acre yard in about 1.25 minutes and that's going around tree's. They are a lot faster but if you turn it around as a zero turn you will dig up the grass on the slow turning wheel, at least I do at times.
Im fairly certain you meant an hour and 25 minutes! NOTHING short of a nuclear blast is going to cut 2 acres in 1.25 minutes!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
ZTRs are a frame and a mower deck.
That's what the names manufacture.

Decks are important in dealing, some work better.

This site is the wrong place to look.
Guys always suggest what they have. Mow a couple acres for a couple years and it still works. Big fat hairy deal.

Skag, Ferris, Hustler Grasshopper, Country Flipper, Toro,
Exmark(what I have).

Are top names. I'd buy any of them.
If. If, they have a good engine and drives.
Every one mentioned makes cheap consumer crap that's not worth the
$3k+- entry fee.

And that, is what you have to research.

Don't get excited by engine manufacturer.
Just as Hustler, Exmark.....make cheap mowers, Kohler and others
Have made some cheap crap. (Often whats on the cheap mowers)
Like Kohlers Courage series. The Command and 7000 are top notch though. Briggs, which some poo poo, makes excellent engines in the
Vanguard series.

Drives are easier.
This company makes the drives for almost every ZTR.

https://www.hydro-gear.com/

Click on the residential.
I wouldn't want any in the bottom half.
Click on commercial, any of those should be fine for a homeowner
wanting a unit hooked to a good engine that will run over 2000 hours
with no problems. Provided good maintenance.

And that was my goal.
Bought an Exmark, bottom of commercial when I was 44.
Used 450 hours on it. Should have 1500+ left.
1 hour/week. 5 months a year....it should be running good at
the estate sale when the kids sell it.

DannyL,
If you turn as a zero turn, you will not tear up the grass.
You aren't turning as a aur.
You are pivoting on one wheel.
The proper way to turn is to push one lever forward and the other back.
You then pivot on the center axis.
And no wheel spins or slides.

I've tried.
I cant *%$@÷/_;;:$÷!!! do it right!
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/18/22
My dad bought a scag a couple yrs ago. Not sure of what he paid, but I've been mowing for mom since he died last winter. I've heard the kawasaki is a good engine. It's a nice mower, easy to control once you learn it.
Posted By: Toddly Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
+1
Love my Scag
Never heard of a Scag. My all around mechanic friend advised against a Cub Cadet, he recommended ExMark or Bad Boy. There were a couple of mentions of $3200.I didn't think they went that cheap but I'm into saving money. Of course I don't buy junk to save money. I'm too poor to buy cheap (cheaply made) stuff.
Your mechanic is a fool. Cubs commercial line is top of the line but it’s not cheap. Kawasaki engine, Parker hydros, 7 gauge deck, dual rear wheels, weighted front wheels, gyroscoping air ride seat, and it will handle a 40 degree plus slope if you have the balls to do it.

This is not the place to research zero turn mowers.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by sactoller
I got a Spartan mower last summer and have been very happy with it.

Good mowers.
Posted By: 450BM Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Ferris, suspension on all four wheels. Mow as fast you want and you won’t bounce out of the seat. The deck height adjustment is very logical and super easy.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by Huntaholic
Husqvarna 54" I do our 2 acre yard in about 1.25 minutes and that's going around tree's. They are a lot faster but if you turn it around as a zero turn you will dig up the grass on the slow turning wheel, at least I do at times.
Im fairly certain you meant an hour and 25 minutes! NOTHING short of a nuclear blast is going to cut 2 acres in 1.25 minutes!

Ya I did, that would really be bragging it up.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
DannyL,

I've tried.
I cant *%$@÷/_;;:$÷!!! do it right![/quote]

I'm mowing tomorrow so will have to try that, hope it works. Thanks
Posted By: blairvt Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by JeffA
If my horses can't get to it a lawn service has to or I just let it grow.

Spend too much time outdoors recreating to waste even a moment cutting grass.

Imagine the quality fly fishing gear a guy could buy with the money spent on a mower, oil and gas...

It's a no brainer.....
my thoughts exactly
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
IMO, your yard is kinda small to invest in a ZT. I mow my 2.2 acres with a regular Husqvarna 46" rider w/a Kohler engine I've had since 2011.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
DannyL,

I've tried.

I'm mowing tomorrow so will have to try that, hope it works. Thanks[/quote]

Mowed after I posted.
Was playing with it again, it's doable. But my habits....
Don't know why I gave up before.

Watch out at first, when you turn, it's fast.
Posted By: Boogan1 Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
I just went through all this and I decided on a Scag Tiger Cat II. Mine has a Yamaha engine. Only mowed with it a couple of times so far but it is an awesome machine.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Picked up a used John Deere Z925 54" for $3,500 a month or two ago... 2,400 hours on the body, but the replacement Kawasaki engine had less than 200 hours. IIRC it is 1,400 pounds with weights. Absolute monster machine... Plows thru ANYTHING without stuttering... very very fuel efficient for the power. MSRP new was $15k+ It had been a commercial machine... used hard, but maintained well.

Bought Laura a Cub Cadet ZT1 54" Kawasaki last fall at about $3,300 new. It is a fine machine. Lighter on the weight... maybe 550 pounds... so a great machine on softer ground (after heavy rains etc.)

Deere blades and deck are far tougher... so more long term durability.
Posted By: ldholton Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
If one wants a good one and doesn't mind paying for it Skaggs turf tiger
Posted By: ldholton Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Spartan was started by founder of Bad Boy after he sold his shares of Bad Boy. Then Toro just bought out Spartan a few months back. Toro also owns Exmark as of 1997 and LawnBoy. Didn't realize the extent they were in the mowing manufacturers.
I'm not so sure that's good news for Spartan.... Time will tell
Posted By: blanket Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by Toddly
Traded my Scag for a Cub pro Z 900. An absolute beast of a mower that weighs 1600 lbs with a Kawasaki 1000 engine. All wheel steering allows you to cut grades only the vent trac was able to. Amazing technology.

[Linked Image from ]
Your cuts look like windrows
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
An older Kubota ZD series can be had for $4k-ish depending on hours. I have 1200hrs on mine. I have mowed 18” of hay albeit slowly and it just keeps going.
The downside is they have 0 suspension and can be a rough ride.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
I also recommend the RZT Cub Cadets, different versions now than when I bought mine 2 years ago. Steering wheel is the only way on a ZT. I didn’t need a commercial version with my small yard but the 42” deck works perfect.
Posted By: memtb Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
We bought a Dixon Ram 44 in 2004. My wife mows about 2 1/2 acres about every 5 or 6 days during the warmer months. Other than a few belts, bearings, and replacing the 18 hp Briggs with a 21 Hp Briggs…..it’s been a great mower! memtb
Posted By: jwp475 Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
An older Kubota ZD series can be had for $4k-ish depending on hours. I have 1200hrs on mine. I have mowed 18” of hay albeit slowly and it just keeps going.
The downside is they have 0 suspension and can be a rough ride.

I have a ZD326 60"cut, works extremely well in rough terrain. I've cut grass 3' high with no problems
Posted By: PINEKNOT Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Hustler Raptor XD
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
GRAVELY!!
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by Toddly

[Linked Image from ]

I’d follow Toddly’s tracks.

🦫
Posted By: blanket Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
You would probably do a lot more than that
Posted By: the_shootist Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
We have a Deere 535 with a 54 inxh deck. Mow about 4.5 acres ib just around 2,5 hours. Good piece of equipment.
Posted By: Toddly Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by blanket
You would probably do a lot more than that
I’d bet you your mower is a push and your fat wife doesn’t care about the lawn. 🐽🤣
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
ZTRs are a frame and a mower deck.
That's what the names manufacture.

Decks are important in dealing, some work better.

This site is the wrong place to look.
Guys always suggest what they have. Mow a couple acres for a couple years and it still works. Big fat hairy deal.

Skag, Ferris, Hustler Grasshopper, Country Flipper, Toro,
Exmark(what I have).

Are top names. I'd buy any of them.
If. If, they have a good engine and drives.
Every one mentioned makes cheap consumer crap that's not worth the
$3k+- entry fee.

And that, is what you have to research.

Don't get excited by engine manufacturer.
Just as Hustler, Exmark.....make cheap mowers, Kohler and others
Have made some cheap crap. (Often whats on the cheap mowers)
Like Kohlers Courage series. The Command and 7000 are top notch though. Briggs, which some poo poo, makes excellent engines in the
Vanguard series.

Drives are easier.
This company makes the drives for almost every ZTR.

https://www.hydro-gear.com/

Click on the residential.
I wouldn't want any in the bottom half.
Click on commercial, any of those should be fine for a homeowner
wanting a unit hooked to a good engine that will run over 2000 hours
with no problems. Provided good maintenance.

And that was my goal.
Bought an Exmark, bottom of commercial when I was 44.
Used 450 hours on it. Should have 1500+ left.
1 hour/week. 5 months a year....it should be running good at
the estate sale when the kids sell it.

DannyL,

I've tried.
As long as they get the USA made Vanguard series, not China made Vanguards.
Posted By: okie Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
We’ve run a Kawasaki powered John Deere for a long time now with just normal maintenance a real time saver…have considered a rear discharge Hustler but would stick with a gas engine. The biggest headaches with any of them is ethanol. Am in the process of converting this one to propane. Have long since converted both of our Miller welders to LP with zero regrets makes fuel systems virtually maintenance free.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
If that is all that needs to be cut just take her to Home Depot or your choice and get one of those.

They will last a long time.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
I bought a 54" Hustler Fastrak with a 24hp Kawasaki, new in 2012 and have been very happy with it, with the exception that it rides kind of rough.

If I were in your shoes and only had 1 1/2 acres to mow, I'd go Toro with the suspension seat. That will make Mama really smile!

Zero Turns are a game changer and fun to mow with. Heck, you will probably want to take over mowing duties once you get one!
Posted By: killerv Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Husqvarna 54" I do our 2 acre yard in about 1.25 hours and that's going around tree's. They are a lot faster but if you turn it around as a zero turn you will dig up the grass on the slow turning wheel, at least I do at times.

That's a good size for that yard, I'm mowing about the same with a older 52in bobcat, and with trees and picking up the kids baseballs, I can do a good job in an hour an 15-30 minutes.

For 5k give or take you can get a nice 52in mower with kawasaki engine, welded deck and hydro transmission.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
I’d sure buy a used commercial over a new, big box store special any day.
Posted By: rainshot Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Technology is progressing and there are lots of good choices out there I’m sure. We bought out Ferris 700Z a few Thackeray and it does good. No complaints except the B&S Commercial motor. It runs well enough if you can get it cranked. It’s just too hard to start. If I had it to do over again I’d pick the Kawasaki.
Posted By: Torque Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Bought a Scag Commercial model 12 years ago. I have had zero problems until I had to change the transmission belt yesterday.
Posted By: 007FJ Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Snapper 360z. It’s not really a Snapper. It’s a Ferris without the commercial suspension. A 48 or 52 inch version with the Kawasaki motor is perfect for your needs.

Snapper Pro is the Ferris without springs as JB said. Not inexpensive but the best for the buck when I bought one last year. Came close to buying the similar Kubota. A friend has one and it has been a good piece as well
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Get some goats.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Get some goats.

Fûck goats, sheep too.

Signed,

Condom Sales Representative.

🦫
Posted By: keith Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
When the Hydraulic goes out on the steering, you are in for some big bucks.

I ran over horseshoes and shovel heads with my X mark, did not bend the deck, just kept going. The contractor seat on the X mark sure saves your back, neck, if you have arthritis issues, well worth every penny.

If you have 1.5 Acres, I would stick with a Club Cadet, 54" XT1 or XT2 with the 24HP engine.

For a home owner, a lower end X Mark is a fantastic investment, you will probably not live long enough to wear it out, don't forget the contractor seat!
Posted By: VaHunter Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
I would agree with those who recommended the Cub Cadet, especially the one with the steering wheel if you have an sloped areas to mow. My brother has about 1 1/2 acres and has some sloped areas and the Cadet with the steering wheel and front wheel steering will stay on the hill without sliding down the slope. As with anything purchase the highest end model in the line that you can afford and you will get the most performance and reliability for your money.

Now my son purchased a new home with 5 acres of fairly flat yard and he and I did a lot of research and he ended up with a Scag Tiger Cat zero turn.
Posted By: KFWA Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
one thing about those 2500 - 3500 range zero turns

they all use the same hydraulics, the ZT2200 trans axles - Bad Boy, Cub Cadet, Ariens, John Deere, Husqvarna

the real difference come in with motor, deck and deck height adjustments

the Husky is the only one in that rage that offers both the Kawasaki motor and the fabricated deck.

Honestly I can't see why you'd want a high dollar mower for 1 - 2 acres. You're going to put about 30 hours a year on it, those high dollar commercial mowers are designed for 1500-2000 hours of abuse but get the right motor and deck combination and with proper care you'll get that much out of it as well with the $3200 mower on a residential yard.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Get some goats.
Them fuughers will have your grass going batschitt crazy too.

My pard milked some for a few years and now the area in the pasture where he kept them is some of his best looking pasture.
Posted By: CWT Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Grass Hopper or Scag is where it's at.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Once again the Snapper 360z. Right at $3k with a fabricated deck and a Kawasaki motor.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Hastings: Trust me on this one!
Buy the big John Deere "Accel 54" (54" cutting width!) zero turn model WITH power bagger attachment.
It has enhanced our lawn and it has decreased our mowing time by half!
The power bagger attachment is just amazing.
One of the best purchases the VarmintFamily has ever made.
I have recommended this model to one neighbor and two friends and they love theirs as well.
NEVER going back to a lawn tractor style mower.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Hastings Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hastings: Trust me on this one!
Buy the big John Deere "Accel 54" (54" cutting width!) zero turn model WITH power bagger attachment.
It has enhanced our lawn and it has decreased our mowing time by half!
The power bagger attachment is just amazing.
One of the best purchases the VarmintFamily has ever made.
I have recommended this model to one neighbor and two friends and they love theirs as well.
NEVER going back to a lawn tractor style mower.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I like green equipment. What is the price range?
Originally Posted by keith
When the Hydraulic goes out on the steering, you are in for some big bucks.

I ran over horseshoes and shovel heads with my X mark, did not bend the deck, just kept going. The contractor seat on the X mark sure saves your back, neck, if you have arthritis issues, well worth every penny.

If you have 1.5 Acres, I would stick with a Club Cadet, 54" XT1 or XT2 with the 24HP engine.

For a home owner, a lower end X Mark is a fantastic investment, you will probably not live long enough to wear it out, don't forget the contractor seat!
I saw a Cub Cadet ZT1 54P at Tractor Supply today. What's the difference between ZT1 and XT1?
Posted By: jeeper Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Been running a scag for 18 years. Not many fixes on it , just belts , batteries and blades.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Once again the Snapper 360z. Right at $3k with a fabricated deck and a Kawasaki motor.

This

I've been mowing with one of these for 4 or 5 years and it's been excellent. I have the 23hp Kohler though. They are a lot of mower for 3k
Posted By: tylerw02 Re: ZERO TURN MOWERS - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by KFWA

they all use the same hydraulics, the ZT2200 trans axles - Bad Boy, Cub Cadet, Ariens, John Deere, Husqvarna

the Husky is the only one in that rage that offers both the Kawasaki motor and the fabricated deck.

Honestly I can't see why you'd want a high dollar mower for 1 - 2 acres. You're going to put about 30 hours a year on it, those high dollar commercial mowers are designed for 1500-2000 hours of abuse but get the right motor and deck combination and with proper care you'll get that much out of it as well with the $3200 mower on a residential yard.

My Ariens has the Kawasaki and a fabricated deck. I paid $3400 for it last year. I did see where the price is now $3700 this year though.
Originally Posted by KFWA

My lovely bride now known as Nana wants one and she has the money to buy one so I'm looking for one. You are probably right about the $3200 one being good enough. The big stuff gets done with a bush hog and my trusty 5600 Ford that is over 40 years old.
© 24hourcampfire