Home
Alabama's Nick Saban rants against NIL exploitation; Texas A&M, Jackson State feel his wrath

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/alabamas-nick-saban-nil-texas-am-jackson-state

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.
Pot meet Kettle ! 😂
That's rich, coming from Saban
Well he is a democrat. A typical democrat accuse the other side of doing what you’re doing.
NIL is becoming a mess
NIL is a mess but it's going to be fun watching all these guys say "but he's doing it too!"

NCAA was dumb and let it get to the NIL situation. Now the colleges/boosters are likely to be dumb and get it to another crisis that's unsustainable.
Originally Posted by Teal
NIL is a mess but it's going to be fun watching all these guys say "but he's doing it too!"

NCAA was dumb and let it get to the NIL situation. Now the colleges/boosters are likely to be dumb and get it to another crisis that's unsustainable.

Just wait until a school like ND starts digging into it's Endowments.
He is using this to leverage his donors to come up with more money. Ain't no dummy.
College football has been crooked for decades. These "student athletes" are supposed to take a full load of classes. Listen to some of these player interviews, they are too stupid to major in Phys Ed.
Originally Posted by Raeford

Just wait until a school like ND starts digging into it's Endowments.

I've heard their endowment is MASSIVE. Scary big. But I don't follow this all that close. I like watching the odd football and hockey game and that's it. I'm done with school lol.

I had heard tho - the concern is these boosters doing all the NIL deals with the players but NOT donating anymore to the college instead (or donating less) and I'm guessing that's a part of the individual college's concerns over this now.
Hell guys, it's been going on since the 50's...when Bear Bryant bought an air conditioner for John Davis Crow's apartment in Houston, where he was hiding him. powdr
This will destroy college football on two fronts-inside the locker room and waning fan interest. How long before the players who don't get paid(90% or more of the team) grow weary of doing the heavy lifting for the prima donnas that get paid. NIL is going to become a locker room cancer. The fan base will also take a hit, maybe a huge hit. How can it be a team if everyone isn't treated the same.

Yeah I know this stuff has been happening, but it was under the radar. Now that it's out in the open and you can't look away, it's going to become revolting to many fans.
Yeah, the horse is out of the barn with NIL (and not much chance of corralling back in), but this is pure entertainment for college football and it'll make the Oct. 8 matchup against the two must-watch-TV.
they are talking about the players not having to even attend school and can stay and play there as long as they want. Think johnny maziel who was never going to make it in the pros.

anybody can pay the players so the school has no control and no say. they are going to have to have something like tip sharing so everybody get a piece of the pie. lol

It's just going to make the big schools even more powerful. Are you going to go play somewhere for $10,000 over somewhere for $1,000,000- nope. UT might be able to buy them a team.
I have learned one thing over the last few years about sports. People always talk a big game about not watching sports or nascar anymore. With that being said why are the stands still full and people purchasing their merchandise. Also paying for extra sports channels. Nothing has changed I don’t think it ever will because for every person that stops watching sports they are two that replaces him or her!
I for one have not watched nascar, college basketball, nba, or nfl since the early 90’s. Now it looks like I will quit watching college football. I will have a lot more free time to hunt or fish!
Originally Posted by la4wd54
That's rich, coming from Saban

Careful...you're walking on thin ice for being honest about Lord Satan...I mean Saban.
Hell guys, it's been going on since the 50's...when Bear Bryant bought an air conditioner for John Davis Crow's apartment in Houston, where he was hiding him. powdr
Yeah that is rich coming from anybody at Alabama. I do not agree with this NIL stuff and do believe it will harm college football but Saban and bama are just pissed that other schools can now legally shower kids with cash like they have been doing since the Bear Bryant days.

Here is an analogy. It's like this. If you have got the best most well organized alcohol bootlegging operation in the country; and you have bribed all the right people who could bust you; and even the government of the state you are in and the statewide press cover for your ass ; then the last thing in the world that you want is an end to prohibition.

The stories I could tell.
I had heard tho - the concern is these boosters doing all the NIL deals with the players but NOT donating anymore to the college instead (or donating less) and I'm guessing that's a part of the individual college's concerns over this now.

Well, I wouldn't want any of my football money going to fund the Women's Studies program.
Haters hate winners win. How many Rings does your team have? How many does Nick have?
This one is savage (from before NIL); Fred Taylor (RB) took 50k from Georgia, then went to Florida. whistle

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/fred-taylor-reveals-he-was-given-50000-by-georgia
Ole Nick’s only whining because Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies beat him last year. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Where they buyin’??? Galveston block?
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Where they buyin’??? Galveston block?

LOL!
Bowie Bros have quite a racket going there with them Lafitte boys!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Bowie Bros have quite a racket going there with them Lafitte boys!

All the schools in my old hometown that were named for Confederate Hero’s have been changed.
Bowie is the only one that’s not been renamed.
Guess the school board there is too dumb to know he was supposedly a slave trader. 🤪
Originally Posted by SKane
This one is savage (from before NIL); Fred Taylor (RB) took 50k from Georgia, then went to Florida. whistle

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/fred-taylor-reveals-he-was-given-50000-by-georgia
We paid the going rate…
NIL will kill college football.
Biggest lying POS ever in football, college or pro.

I can't believe that anyone could have possibly been stupid enough not to see this coming with the emancipation of the athlete slaves.
Bye bye college sports.

F!!! the Florida Gators
Originally Posted by Godogs57

We paid the going rate…

Oh, I agree.
I was just amused that he took the cash from GA and left them at the altar – that take some ballz.
I heard on Dan Patrick that Alabama bought Saban a house, Saban sold the house back to Alabama keeping all the profit, and then Alabama leased the house back to him for 1 dollar.
During the late 80’s and 90’s, Coach Don James in the PAC-10 at UW had a small dynasty going. Battling USC or UCLA at bowl games was big business.

Then it all ended when James called BS on the NCAA’s aggression against him and UW for what was and still is prevalent in college sports.

Yes, $50k was the going rate for top players.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1993-09-01-9309010101-story.html

🦫
Originally Posted by powdr

JDC said you probably wouldn't have heard of him (JDC) if Bear had not kicked Sugarlands' Kenneth Hall off the team because Hall refused to play defense. Later on in an interview, Bear was asked what was his biggest mistake he ever made in coaching and he said "Kenneth Hall".
College athletes are a commodity to be bought and sold. Well, so are the pros. It's been that way for a long time and I can't see it changing. Now college players are paid up front. They don't have to hide it any more.
It was a lot better when the boosters just handed out sacks of hundred dollar bills.
At least back in the day, after they were bought they stayed bought.
I thought colleges were allowed to salary athletes as of about 2 years ago.

Back in my college days players complained of a lack of funds but drove Caddy's and RX-7's around campus. Also, only saw them for the first day of classes which they never subsequently attended again.
Originally Posted by 1minute
I thought colleges were allowed to salary athletes as of about 2 years ago.

Back in my college days players complained of a lack of funds but drove Caddy's and RX-7's around campus. Also, only saw them for the first days of classes which they never subsequently attended again.

Pretty much covers it.
Originally Posted by Chisos
Originally Posted by powdr

JDC said you probably wouldn't have heard of him (JDC) if Bear had not kicked Sugarlands' Kenneth Hall off the team because Hall refused to play defense. Later on in an interview, Bear was asked what was his biggest mistake he ever made in coaching and he said "Kenneth Hall".

John David Crow was the first Aggie Heisman Trophy Winner, in 1957. He was the Assistant AD at TAMU while I was there and became the AD a few years later. He also plaid pro football for Chicago and San Francisco.
Yall are missing the real money. Each winning program has support dollars and business connections to "help these kids out" both male&female. Is it evil bad if an offensive lineman who blocked for a Heisman winner can earn a degree and sit in an interview with multiple championship rings on vs some Joe schmo with equal degree who do you think gets the job? Life ain't fair but it is life.
Want to clean up at least 95% of it? Have them take Dr. Mathman's college algebra without special accommodations. No passie, no playie.
Originally Posted by mathman
Want to clean up at least 95% of it? Have them take Dr. Mathman's college algebra without special accommodations. No passie, no playie.

IIRC - Notre Dame requires Calculus as a freshman - all students.
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
Haters hate winners win. How many Rings does your team have? How many does Nick have?

"Your team"? That would imply that someone here was a college football player, unless you're some loser living through others....like all the Saban fanboys...lol
Pretty good article about the state of College football

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/college-football-communism-capitalism-chaos
© 24hourcampfire