Home
Posted By: gunzo Still cheesin during retirement - 05/23/22
A bragging thread I guess ... or maybe a testament of an earned retirement? I strongly think so.

Sunday nights I'd get wound up, worrying what kind of schit storm I'd face Monday morning. Adding insult to injury, all that would keep me awake & add to Monday's confusion & pain.

Now, after 6 or 8 years of retirement, I have cold drinks & a rare steak on Sunday evenings & my mind is free. Monday isn't on my mind & I don't even plan anything for that day. I usually dreaded Mondays so I let them pass me by without any intervention from me.

My old saying was...JAFM, just another fuqking Monday. Now... Monday, get on out of here, I'm not dealing with you.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
I’m looking forward to that. I’ve already gotten at least three texts from employees like “just a heads up boss, been puking all day, might not be there tomorrow”

I hate a Fugkin Monday.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
I'm only eight months into retirement and it's taken me about six of 'em to get used to it... Now? I love every day...
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
I quit worrying about Mondays in 2011 when I went from three jobs to only two. Those two are pretty good- - - -if I want to tell the boss to go fuque himself I just need to look in the mirror! I work where and when I choose, and if I want to take Monday off that's exactly what I do!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m looking forward to that. I’ve already gotten at least three texts from employees like “just a heads up boss, been puking all day, might not be there tomorrow”

I hate a Fugkin Monday.

Anal Glaucoma

“Chief….I can’t see my ass comin into work duhmorrow”
Posted By: Westman Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
I've been retired since March 2017 and I have never been busier.....I'm so far behind it's hard to find time for fun stuff....
Posted By: dale06 Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
After 39 years in a corporate job, I pulled the trigger and retired at age 61. That was just over 10 years ago. My only regret is not doing it a year or two earlier.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Gunzo: Welcome to the party!
I have been retired for 25 years now and the dread of fighting the traffic everyday to work, the constant hassles of dealing with no good lying sons of bitches and daughters of whores lawyers and liberal judges has long ago ceased!
Nightmares of mangled children and people have LONG since ceased and most important of all my investment checks and social security and pension checks just keep rolling in.
I worked a six days on and two days off schedule for 27 of my 29 year career and never did specifically dread Mondays - somedays the dread was for Wednesdays and sometimes Saturdays and Sundays etc.
As my return to work day changed every week.
Enjoy your not having to deal with Mondays anymore.

Redneck: I remember those "getting used to it" days - my period of "where am I supposed to be and when am I supposed to be there" - and "why am I being paid to stay home and enjoy life" lasted about a year.
Now, and for the last 25 years, EVERY day is a Saturday.
I am with ya - I love EVERY day.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: EdM Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Let's see, tomorrow? A haircut, swing by Academy for some handload boxes, hit Total Wine to refill my wife's supplies then head to the airport to pick her up followed by an early dinner out. Busy day. I did blow out the garage and got a couple of cars running today so not too bad. Called it quits in 2015.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I hate a Fugkin Monday.

The call-offs on Mondays and Fridays......seems no one gets sick Tues, weds, Thurs.
Posted By: blanket Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Welcome to the club, no day off any more
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
In 10 months I can begin drawing from my IRA.

If Dopey Joe doesn’t continue the ass raping, that is.

P
Posted By: blanket Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
In 10 months I can begin drawing from my IRA.

If Dopey Joe doesn’t continue the ass raping, that is.

P
Drawing from mine year and a half ago, know the feeling
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Originally Posted by Westman
I've been retired since March 2017 and I have never been busier.....I'm so far behind it's hard to find time for fun stuff....

Makes you sometimes wonder when you had time enough to work to make a living.

But it’s still fun stuff.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Gunzo: learn to enjoy your retirement! My last 4 years at work were dreadful, mixing it up with an Ahole attorney and follow ups. I rarely slept more than 4 hours. My cop friend chided me satying that he had to deal with with attorneys continuously throughout his working career. Sorry to get off topic, just relax and try to enjoy life.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Not retired but between farm and work and the excavation business most the time I don't even know what day of the week it is cuz I work by the weather.
Posted By: uncle joe Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Tomorrow will be my first retired Monday, this was the first weekend in 50 years I haven’t been “on call”.
I think I could get used to this.
Posted By: LBP Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
I retired in March, I’m loving it!!
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Originally Posted by gunzo
A bragging thread I guess ... or maybe a testament of an earned retirement? I strongly think so.

Sunday nights I'd get wound up, worrying what kind of schit storm I'd face Monday morning. Adding insult to injury, all that would keep me awake & add to Monday's confusion & pain.

Now, after 6 or 8 years of retirement, I have cold drinks & a rare steak on Sunday evenings & my mind is free. Monday isn't on my mind & I don't even plan anything for that day. I usually dreaded Mondays so I let them pass me by without any intervention from me.

My old saying was...JAFM, just another fuqking Monday. Now... Monday, get on out of here, I'm not dealing with you.

Same here except we have our cold drinks, rare steak, and shrimp on Saturday. Or, whatever day we feel like it. Lovin’ it!
Posted By: hanco Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Fug a bunch of work, takes a little getting used to.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Been out 12 years. Still stress a bit over stuff like where to drink my first cup of coffee: bed, sofa, or deck?

Don’t miss any of it, had zero trouble adjusting.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
When I got out of management and and into a job managing only myself it was like retiring.
Posted By: Fullfan Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Good for you. I retired at 49, 8 years ago. Everyone said your “ your to young to retire”. Lol.

Don’t miss the job, miss the guys and gals I worked with.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Well, today I get to have a conversation with my boss and let her know that I am having knee surgery next month. After I heal from that, I will have the other knee replaced, and once I've recovered sufficiently from that, time to decide when I want to retire. I'll be 62 at the end of the year and have fresh wheels.....

Frog---OUT!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Been retired just over 15 years now. I think I was born to be retired.

I wake up each day and lie there a while to figure out what day it is. Usually, that's by remembering what was on TV the night before. The only reason it matters is because I golf on Mondays and Thursdays, and always have early morning tee times. In winter, it doesn't matter one whit what day it is.
Posted By: JHM Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Sept 2nd is my last day of work…
Posted By: Razz Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Pulled the plug 4 years ago at 60 when we were asked about moving and taking a promotion. Told them A M F and took my money and ran. Hunted elk all of Sept, filled my OIL Idaho moose tag and skied 72 days this winter. Miss some of the people, but not the BS or getting on airplanes. Wife has 3 more Monday’s to go so I will have to stop telling people I am a kept man or that I have a sugar mama!
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
I retired last September, and adjusted immediately. I got to actually see my younger kid play baseball this year. I do what I want when I want (unless the female boss gives me a job).

I don’t fish as much as I thought I would. It’s nice to know I can go during the week without fighting a crowd though. I may go in a little while after the rain gets out of here.
Posted By: badger Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
I'm heading for a "soft" retirement, I think. Will be 62 this year, but I'm having a hard time mentally walking away from my business that I built up for over 20 years. Current line of thinking is that I promote one of my front desk guys (Very capable) to the role of managing the shop, me moving back to the 3rd office and then choosing my hours. Having more flexibility would likely sate my appetite for a while. I've been working since 1978, and I'm getting tired.

My biggest fault (or virtue), I guess, is my loyalty to my employees. My business is probably worth 4 or 5 million without the property, which I own, and it would be easy to sell and walk away and just be a landlord. But I've seen that movie played a few times, and 9 times out of 10, new ownership will turn the place upside down, piss off employees who end up leaving, and the business loses it good reputation. I owe them more than that. They stood by me when times were tough.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
You'll know you've mastered retirement when you're not quite sure what month it is and could careless.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Didn't retire so much as quit the public job and take up home repair. Our home is one long repair......
I do what I want at the speed I want and if I don't feel like it we hire help or a contractor to just do it.
Not fishing or shooting as much as I'd like but not having to deal with the corporate azzhats in ATL is like heaven.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Been retired just over 6 years now. Called it quits at 66; to qualify for my full social security. Have been collecting the pension since age 62 from my 2nd last employer. What bothers me now is I hit 72 this year and get forced to take that first distribution from my traditional IRA and the market sucks. IIRC I have to take at least 4% and with the current value of the account that's a lot less than it was not that long ago. Don't really need it which is why I haven't touched it or my Roth, or the annuity, or any other investments that I have. They say I have until the end of this year to take that IRA distribution so perhaps I'll just hold off for now and hope the market comes up a bit more. Know what else sucks? Every dollar of what I get from these investments ain't worth as much as I thought it would be thanks to inflation. Once upon a time I joked around that the next depression or recession will arrive about the time I want to tap into my life's savings & investments and discover they are getting devastated. I might just be a prophet.
Posted By: ReedsRebel Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
I’ve been working a day or two a week since i was 48. Dont think i’d give that up. Been awhile but I like my job self employed and get payed every day. Wifey has the insurance. If my stocks hit i wont even waste my time here we you folks.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Been retired just over 15 years now. I think I was born to be retired.

I wake up each day and lie there a while to figure out what day it is. Usually, that's by remembering what was on TV the night before. The only reason it matters is because I golf on Mondays and Thursdays, and always have early morning tee times. In winter, it doesn't matter one whit what day it is.

I gauge what day it is by the thickness of the newspaper. Sunday’s paper are the thickest, Monday’s are the thinnest and the rest don’t matter.
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

That was my first thought too...
I am thinking of retiring sometime between now and shortly after the first of the year. I was ready to pull the trigger the other day when my boss told me I had to start driving back in every day. When I told him I had not interest in doing that and if he required me to do it, I was gone, things changed and I was not required to drive in.
But that did get me thinking and I will be 62 in Nov. so I have started getting the paperwork rolling for my heath insurance and checking with my finances to makes sure everything was good to go. I have not pulled the trigger yet, but it is nice to know that I don't have to put up with a bunch of crap if I don't want to.
Posted By: Batchief909 Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Originally Posted by Redneck
I'm only eight months into retirement and it's taken me about six of 'em to get used to it... Now? I love every day...

Same here....and loving every minute of it!
Posted By: hanco Re: Still cheesin - 05/23/22
Originally Posted by Batchief909
Originally Posted by Redneck

Same here....and loving every minute of it!

Guess I have a couple more months before I’m used to it
© 24hourcampfire