Home
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Pay Pal Bogus Account - 05/25/22
I have been notified that my Pay Pal account has been limited.

I do not and never will have a Pay Pal account, so I guess someone is using my name fraudulently.

I'm not too computer savvy and don't do much shopping on the devil machine, so any advice on how to proceed?
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Pay Pal Bogus Account - 05/25/22
Just delete the email. With no account linked to it, you'll be fine. They try to get you by saying you need to re-enter yor banking info, and then use that to steal it. Your email got picked up by some scammer and that is all they likely have.
Posted By: shaman Re: Pay Pal Bogus Account - 05/25/22
Never, ever, ever click on those official-looking emails.

If they say your account is locked out, or you've got to re-authorize, or whatever, it is more than likely a phishing scam. They may have even copied the look/feel of the website in order to fool you.

If you get one, the first dead giveaway is the actual address. Everything may look official, but if you dig to find the actual sending address it's usually something hokey.

Second, look for spelling/grammatical errors. Most phishers don't know about spell checkers.

Third, if you really think it's legit, still don't click. Go to your service the way you usually do and try to authenticate. If there really is a problem, your service provider will tell you. I get these all the time and never see a real problem when I get in.
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: Pay Pal Bogus Account - 05/25/22
I hope that's all there is to it, but I also received a notice from my credit card informing me that my email address was found on the "dark web".

Not sure what the dark web is, but it doesn't sound good.
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: Pay Pal Bogus Account - 05/25/22
Also, I did follow the credit card company's advice and changed my email password.

Heck, I'm assuming the credit card company thing was legit or did I just give out a new password?!

I guess I'll give the CC company a call.

I just called Pay Pal customer service, but it's too early to get a human on the phone.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Pay Pal Bogus Account - 05/25/22
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Also, I did follow the credit card company's advice and changed my email password.

Heck, I'm assuming the credit card company thing was legit or did I just give out a new password?!

I guess I'll give the CC company a call.

I just called Pay Pal customer service, but it's too early to get a human on the phone.

Did you click on a link in the email from your credit card company?
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Pay Pal Bogus Account - 05/25/22
Bogus email. They want you to log into to your account through the link they provide. Once you do that they have your login and password credentials.

A good time to reset your password just for grins.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Pay Pal Bogus Account - 05/25/22
I get one of those about every other week.

I delete them after reading the subject line, no need to even open one.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Pay Pal Bogus Account - 05/25/22
You read those emails?
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Pay Pal Bogus Account - 05/25/22
Never never never never never respond to any email telling you something is wrong and you need to take some sort of action. Never give or change your password. No matter how real it looks. I had a very hard time explaining to my Dad about phishing email scams.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Pay Pal Bogus Account - 05/25/22
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven

Pretty common phishing scam. I would call them immediately.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Pay Pal Bogus Account - 05/25/22
Another clue is they like to make it sound urgent that you take some action.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Pay Pal Bogus Account - 05/25/22
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Just delete the email. With no account linked to it, you'll be fine. They try to get you by saying you need to re-enter yor banking info, and then use that to steal it. Your email got picked up by some scammer and that is all they likely have.

I get those e mails, as well as some from Wells Fargo and other institutions that I’ve never done business with. They all say my account is about to be closed or similar, if I don’t contact them.
I delete and go about my business.
Forward the email to "[email protected]" without clicking on any links or calling any phone numbers they provide. Ebay has the same forwarding address for claims that you need to respond to "suspended account" claims, etc. Any legitimate correspondernce from either one will include the full name they have on record for you, not "user", "customer" etc.
© 24hourcampfire