Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been notified that my Pay Pal account has been limited.

I do not and never will have a Pay Pal account, so I guess someone is using my name fraudulently.

I'm not too computer savvy and don't do much shopping on the devil machine, so any advice on how to proceed?

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Just delete the email. With no account linked to it, you'll be fine. They try to get you by saying you need to re-enter yor banking info, and then use that to steal it. Your email got picked up by some scammer and that is all they likely have.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never, ever, ever click on those official-looking emails.

If they say your account is locked out, or you've got to re-authorize, or whatever, it is more than likely a phishing scam. They may have even copied the look/feel of the website in order to fool you.

If you get one, the first dead giveaway is the actual address. Everything may look official, but if you dig to find the actual sending address it's usually something hokey.

Second, look for spelling/grammatical errors. Most phishers don't know about spell checkers.

Third, if you really think it's legit, still don't click. Go to your service the way you usually do and try to authenticate. If there really is a problem, your service provider will tell you. I get these all the time and never see a real problem when I get in.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I hope that's all there is to it, but I also received a notice from my credit card informing me that my email address was found on the "dark web".

Not sure what the dark web is, but it doesn't sound good.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Also, I did follow the credit card company's advice and changed my email password.

Heck, I'm assuming the credit card company thing was legit or did I just give out a new password?!

I guess I'll give the CC company a call.

I just called Pay Pal customer service, but it's too early to get a human on the phone.

Last edited by Seven_Heaven; 05/25/22.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Also, I did follow the credit card company's advice and changed my email password.

Heck, I'm assuming the credit card company thing was legit or did I just give out a new password?!

I guess I'll give the CC company a call.

I just called Pay Pal customer service, but it's too early to get a human on the phone.

Did you click on a link in the email from your credit card company?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bogus email. They want you to log into to your account through the link they provide. Once you do that they have your login and password credentials.

A good time to reset your password just for grins.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I get one of those about every other week.

I delete them after reading the subject line, no need to even open one.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You read those emails?

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Never never never never never respond to any email telling you something is wrong and you need to take some sort of action. Never give or change your password. No matter how real it looks. I had a very hard time explaining to my Dad about phishing email scams.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven

Pretty common phishing scam. I would call them immediately.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Another clue is they like to make it sound urgent that you take some action.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Just delete the email. With no account linked to it, you'll be fine. They try to get you by saying you need to re-enter yor banking info, and then use that to steal it. Your email got picked up by some scammer and that is all they likely have.

I get those e mails, as well as some from Wells Fargo and other institutions that I’ve never done business with. They all say my account is about to be closed or similar, if I don’t contact them.
I delete and go about my business.

NRA Patron
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Forward the email to "spoofpaypal.com" without clicking on any links or calling any phone numbers they provide. Ebay has the same forwarding address for claims that you need to respond to "suspended account" claims, etc. Any legitimate correspondernce from either one will include the full name they have on record for you, not "user", "customer" etc.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1minute, 1badf350, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 62 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,179
Posts18,503,250
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.