Home
Posted By: wabigoon Do you eat fast? - 05/25/22
I do, in the US Army they told us to inhale that food, don't chew it.
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/25/22
Yes !
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/25/22
I dont eat when i fast.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/25/22
Nope, I broke that habit as soon as I left basic training. Eating slower has some health benefits as wel.
Posted By: ackleydave Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
If you watched me you would think that I do. What it really is is that I like my cold food cold and my hot foot hot so I get down to business. Also don’t talk much while eating. I tend to be that way about most anything I do.
Posted By: viking Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Unfortunately yes. Big family so if you wanted seconds….
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Originally Posted by ackleydave
If you watched me you would think that I do. What it really is is that I like my cold food cold and my hot foot hot so I get down to business. Also don’t talk much while eating. I tend to be that way about most anything I do.

I’m much like this, but i also grew up in a family of 9 kids. If you didn’t eat fast you didn’t get enough!!

Wish I could eat slower, probably healthier.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
^^^ That's me as well, 9 kids in the family and unfortunately the fast eating habit has hung on.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
I do and don’t know if its military related but I’m also first up for seconds and thirds.
Posted By: Krazi Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Yup my wife reams me all the time. I had eight brothers and sisters too. Remember in grade school you could get seconds if there was any left after everybody went through the line. I wouldn't even sit down. Just go to the end of the line and stand there and eat. Had a black lab that was the same way. My daughter bought him one of those swirlly food bowls that they had to kind of slirp the food out. He looked at her and picked the bowl up and slammed it upside down on the floor sending food everywhere.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Used to.
Posted By: SAcharlie Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Only for breakfast.
Posted By: Raferman Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
Only for breakfast.
And then you [bleep] in a bag.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
I eat a plate of food in about 3 minutes flat. No time to waste.
My old man always said it’s easy to tell who the boss is, he’s the guy walking fast and looking worried. That goes for eating too.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Yes
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Nope.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
When I'm working I almost always forget to eat. Laura gives me hell over it...

I try to relax when we dine with friends, but it is no small task...

Balance and moderation is something I envy when I see it.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing

No scheit Cash. Same here. No idea how people work 40 and then relax.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Well said.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
So I’ve been told.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Yep.
Years as a driver, a lot of times had no time.
The rest I was eating alone, so do the job at hand and move on.

Now, it's half the problem of eating too much.
I eat my supper, and the fambly is still eating.
So I sit there and converse, then eat a little, and repeat.
Lately, get up and start the dishes. Just to stop it.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
My wife calls me The Gobbler
Posted By: hanco Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Yes, I don’t Fuuuck around when I eat!
Posted By: dale06 Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
I eat way to fast. I sometimes try to slow down, but I’ve made no progress in slowing.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
As a kid grandpa said I could eat a steak dinner before grandma got her baked potato doctored up.

In 1st grade, if you cleaned your plate you got to line up to go to recess before the picky eaters were dismissed. It was a race between me and another kid everyday. I think that set the framework for me.

I also don’t chit chat when I’m eating. I’m simply eating. Wife gets all sorts of pissy about it. Not enjoying my food, etc. I certainly enjoy it. Just nibbling slowly on it would be a painful dinner.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Yep, embarrassingly so.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Nope. It’s fairly common for me to be the last one eating, by a long ways. Even my brother will be done with his food way before me.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Scarf it down quick.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Nope. I like to taste my food and enjoy my meal. I don’t eat fast food or at crappy joints because food is one of the fine pleasures of life that we have to partake in lest we die. I’d rather go hungry and miss a meal than eat crap.

I only usually have 1 meal a day anyway and supplement my appetite with fruit and protein smoothies, healthy snacks and mid day charcuterie of meat and cheese.

Because I’ve been able to control my appetite and subsequent love of good food I’ve been able to maintain my weight while staying in good shape. At 51 I’m 6’2” and I bounce between 215-220# my vitals and labs are according to the doctor “abnormally normal”.

I eat slow and I chew my food completely…I think of meals as more than an end to the means. 😉
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
What’s the hurry? It ain’t gonna run away ! 😁
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
I’ll scarf down a Taco Bell chicken quesadilla once a quarter. Same as going to Walmart’s.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
I do and have stomach problems from it. For 30+ years, 3 months give or take every year. I worked under ground in Nevada. 11:15 we could catch a train out to the portal and drive 2 miles to the chow hall. A military style affair. You had to get your food, chow down, and be back at the portal by 12:45 to catch a train back under ground. Miss it and it was a mile and half walk in. Which you had to make up the time at the end of the day, then miss the train back out, and get the long walk again.

The train cars were muck cars with wooden cribbing timbers as seat. Not very comfortable, but better than walking.

I never got over that stuffing food in as fast I could. I am done with a steak, potatoes,vegges, and desert by the time my wife has her salad eaten. Then I am off to find the Gaviscon
Posted By: g5m Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Yes. Too many years of simply 'refueling' due to time constraints.
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Nope. I like to taste my food and enjoy my meal. I don’t eat fast food or at crappy joints because food is one of the fine pleasures of life that we have to partake in lest we die. I’d rather go hungry and miss a meal than eat crap.

I only usually have 1 meal a day anyway . . .

Because I’ve been able to control my appetite and subsequent love of good food I’ve been able to maintain my weight while staying in good shape. At 51 I’m 6’2” and I bounce between 215-220# my vitals and labs are according to the doctor “abnormally normal”.

I eat slow and I chew my food completely…I think of meals as more than an end to the means. 😉

^ ^ ^ This, except 50, 6' and 190#
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Originally Posted by FatCity67
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

That's my dog front and center!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Eating too fast is not good for a person at all. I used to be terrible until my work offered an online program for weight loss for any employee that wanted to participate. It is very educational if you can get past the chick's voice in the online videos.

The basic principle is eat SLOW, chew everything completely and savor your food. I lost 44 lbs in < 6 months. You can still eat pretty much anything you want but limit sugar as much as you can.

I have since fallen back into the habit of eating too fast but have recently been trying to follow the principles again with noticeable results.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
I used to think I ate fast. When I was still working, some of the guys went to Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch. I ordered 10 traditional wings. Another guy ordered 18. By the time I finished 5 wings, he had devoured all 18. That’s a fast eater.

Ron
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
I chow down pretty quick.

Years ago I was eating lunch in a bar and a guy a few seats down asked where I served time and how long. I told him i had never been to jail. He apologized profusely and told me he had been to prison and said I ate like a guy who had. He said they all hover over their plates and inhale their food.

So apparently I eat like a convict.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Yep,

30 years of night shifts at John Mansfield….

Had to keep the line going……
Posted By: Redneck Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Yup - In the greenhouse biz, I might have had 3-5 minutes available from March through June... Never slowed down since.. smile
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
I have had to slow down since I have a Hiatal hernia.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Eating slowly is a challenge for me.
Worked a job where "lunch" was, at best, "20 minutes, IF available". Twenty five years of that habit is a killer.

Improperly chewed food is harder to digest.
Improperly chewed food means you don't get ALL the nutrients from the food you eat. Only the more easily digestible.
"Chunks" of food cause digestive distress.

Put your fork down between bites.
Cut your food up into smaller bites.
Chew each bite 32 times! My dad drove me crazy! He would sit and "CHEW" Jell-O! 😖

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! I hear ya! You're gonna do wha'cha gonna do anyway! Spare me the "yah-yah"! LOL!
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
no
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
One of the tricks of that online program is to train yourself, using a stop watch on the app, (or any stop watch.)

You eat slowly for 5 minutes, take a 5 minute break and drink some water or do whatever, then eat slowly for another 5 minutes. You'd be amazed at how full you feel, eating during that 2nd 5 minute interval. It gives your body time to recognize that you're eating. When the watch beeps, you're done. Throw a napkin over the remaining food and toss it.

It works.
Posted By: las Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Faster than most people at the table. I don't gobble, but I'm not much for yak-yak when I eat. As said above - I'm down to business, and I like hot hot, cold cold.

My rescue dog, Honey, chose me at 18 months, coming out of a native village. 7 seconds tops - she didn't chew. 4 years later, she takes her time - all of maybe a minute to eat - and chew - a cup of dry dog food. Table scraps or left-overs are another story.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
30 years in the firehouse nothing worse than a cold meal. I have tried slowing down it’s not easy.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Originally Posted by Rooster7
One of the tricks of that online program is to train yourself, using a stop watch on the app, (or any stop watch.)

You eat slowly for 5 minutes, take a 5 minute break and drink some water or do whatever, then eat slowly for another 5 minutes. You'd be amazed at how full you feel, eating during that 2nd 5 minute interval. It gives your body time to recognize that you're eating. When the watch beeps, you're done. Throw a napkin over the remaining food and toss it.

It works.

I have found, the slower I eat, the less I eat.

My biggest problem is that I eat until I'm stuffed. Thirty minutes later, I'm miserably full.
Eating sensibly, thirty minutes after I've eaten, I'm comfortably full. Takes a little time for the nerves to catch up to the sensation.

I lost 40 pounds on the "Weigh Down" diet.
VERY simple rules.
Remember, your stomach is your "fuel gauge".
When your stomach growls, it's telling you you're hungry.
When you're full (NOT stuffed!), stop eating.
ONLY eat when you get hungry! (when your stomach growls!) NOT by the timepiece on your arm!

I lost 40 pounds eating hamburgers and chicken fried steak. It ain't WHAT you eat, it's HOW you eat!
Posted By: Raeford Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
Yes
Being the youngest of 3 boys and was hungry!
Posted By: AZcows Re: Do you eat fast? - 05/26/22
1973 Fort Polk Louisana, Senior Drill Sergeant Brownfield continually yelling "EAT AND GET OUT." I agree it might not be healthy, but when your raceing the sunrise I don't want to move at old woman speed.
How about that restaurant scene in " Major Pain."
Keep the Faith it's going to get rough.
© 24hourcampfire