Home
Posted By: 79S Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Can’t find the post from yesterday must be 10 pages back now. Anyhow went and saw it today with the wife and daughter. Movie is a must watch, I'm sure for the legit Naval aviators out there they could pick it apart. But after watching this movie, who in the hell wouldn't want to be a Naval aviator! So, load the family up in the station wagon and take them to see this movie. No Transgender chit in it, no gay homo stuff in it. Just a good ol fashion movie with lots of flying in the F18. Not going to lie makes you feel pretty damn good about being an American. This movie was made when trump was still president.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Going tomorrow afternoon.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Can't wait to see it.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Nah.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Nah.

Party pooper.

😆😆😆😆
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Nah.

Party pooper.

😆😆😆😆

I am sitting on top of a manure pile right now...watching the boys throw mud at each other.

I just tested a new .45 Colt load on a downer ewe.....and can watch the Memorial Day jetliners fly over for 400 miles.

What would I need to go to town for?

Haha!
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
I just took the whole family to it. We all really enjoyed it. I thought it was well done. It didn't try to push some huge ridiculous woke idea on you. Although it did make sure there was a female, some blacks, and a Hispanic top gun and I'm ok with that. All kids should get to dream about flying a fighter. They will probably be in trouble for leaving out the gay and tyranny movement but everything doesn't always have to be about them. All I can say about that is gutsy move maverick.

All the PC BSing aside it was a well done entertaining movie my whole family enjoyed. It was pretty tastefully done for hollyweird too. My 6 year old really loved the show and I loved that I was able to enjoy it with him without worrying about exposing him to a bunch of garbage. There was just a few swear words but not over the top. Go see it on the big screen. It even made Tom seem like a likable human being.

Bb
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Get to the important stuff...

How did Jennifer Connelly look?
Posted By: 79S Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Nah.

Take a shower, change your underwear and load the kids up in the 'burb and take them to see this movie! You owe it to them!
Originally Posted by 79S
Nah.

Take a shower, change your underwear and load the kids up in the 'burb and take them to see this movie! You owe it to them!

We don't have any nice clothes!

Would the kids like it? Any sex or cussin?
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I just took the whole family to it. We all really enjoyed it. I thought it was well done. It didn't try to push some huge ridiculous woke idea on you. Although it did make sure there was a female, some blacks, and a Hispanic top gun and I'm ok with that. All kids should get to dream about flying a fighter. They will probably be in trouble for leaving out the gay and tyranny movement but everything doesn't always have to be about them. All I can say about that is gutsy move maverick.

All the PC BSing aside it was a well done entertaining movie my whole family enjoyed. It was pretty tastefully done for hollyweird too. My 6 year old really loved the show and I loved that I was able to enjoy it with him without worrying about exposing him to a bunch of garbage. There was just a few swear words but not over the top. Go see it on the big screen. It even made Tom seem like a likable human being.

Bb
Jeeze....okay for family?
Posted By: 348winchester Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
The wife and I had date night and went and saw it. First movie in probably 3 years. Wasn’t too bad. Nice to see people having a nice night out without GD masks. Almost felt like back to normal .
Originally Posted by 79S
Nah.

No believe it or not no sex scenes and no real cussing I remember. just damn good entertaining movie! Like I said what kid wouldn't want to be a naval aviator after watching this movie.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
79S I agree with you it was very well put together and is heads above the first one with way more flying. To you men that really flew them you have my admiration and thanks for your service.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
I thought it was a good movie. The storyline was pretty good, but technical military stuff and protocol were a bit off. The "mission" was hokey, but all-in-all, it was entertaining.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Must be based on the “old navy”.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb
Jeeze....okay for family?

Yes, I thought it was OK for family. My wife is usually really uptight about what the kids see. I've seen her walk out of kids shows. She stayed clear through this one. I thought it gave the kids a positive view of our people in uniform. It will be good for them to remember what it used to be like after the left destroys our military and turns it against us.

There was nothing too raunchy, but there was 1 F word in the heat of battle and a few S words during intense moments.

Bb
Posted By: johnw Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
It's way too easy to pick apart the reality disconnects in a movie, but despite the fact that this show has disconnects on multiple levels it's a pretty entertaining couple of hours. The technical and military stuff in this one takes a distant back seat to the personal relationships of the original top gun cast fast-forwarded 30 or so years.

There's enough of fast planes, motorcycles, and blowing stuff up or shooting down the enemy to help the plot along. I spent $12 to watch it, and I'll likely own it when it becomes available for streaming. High time I bought the original, too.

Val Kilmer, playing the part of Pacific Fleet Commander, died of throat cancer in the movie. Wife told me afterwards that he has, or had throat cancer for real.

For perspective, when the original Top Gun movie was released, The Soviet Union was still our most likely and worthiest enemy. Lotta water under that bridge and this show plays on that concept well.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
My wife and I are really looking forward to seeing it. I might try to steal her away for an impromptu date night at Ipix next week. The first one came out when I was in high school and I watched it a million times. This sounds like one of the few sequels that are better than the original.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Good movie. The previews before the thing started were a great reminder of why I find myself needing to go to a theater only once every three years or so. As others have pointed out, it was nice that this movie was supposed to come out in 2020, so likely filmed in 2019, before all the America haters really found their stride.

Oh, and be advised, they save the best plane until the end.
Posted By: Teal Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Y'all who have seen the movie: Tom is no spring chicken he must be 57 years old. Is the geezer Tom believable as a Top Gun pilot?
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Y'all who have seen the movie: Tom is no spring chicken he must be 57 years old. Is the geezer Tom believable as a Top Gun pilot?

Get 12 dollars out of your penny jar and go watch it.
Posted By: rem shooter Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
yes he is about the same age as me 57-59 ..do they even let 57-59 year olds be fighter pilots in the Air Force ? i thought they had to advace in rank to were they would be in staff not pilots in order to stay in air force ,thats the way it was when i was in the Army 40 years ago
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Crow Hunter: Saw the movie last night with a near full house of other attendees.
Jennifer Connelly looked wonderful! She has always boned me up.
Very much enjoyed the movie and the audience applauded it at the end.
Other than a few slow/awkward/stiff moments in the long beginning ( the movie is 2 hours and 17 minutes long!) I really enjoyed the movie - some really stunning photography.
A few "plot holes" but well worth the $6.50 admission in my opinion.
Took in $61,000,000.00 (sixty one million dollars!) the first day - should be a blockbuster?
I gave it a 91 on a scale of 1 to 100.
Mr. Cruise looked wonderful as well (make-up, dyed hair?).
I recommend seeing it on the big screen.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by rem shooter
yes he is about the same age as me 57-59 ..do they even let 57-59 year olds be fighter pilots in the Air Force ? i thought they had to advace in rank to were they would be in staff not pilots in order to stay in air force ,thats the way it was when i was in the Army 40 years ago

We still have 3 and even 4 stars fly. They're mid to late 50s.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Old school corny, full of plot holes, I give it two thumbs up 👍🏻👍🏻
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Crow Hunter: Saw the movie last night with a near full house of other attendees.
Jennifer Connelly looked wonderful! She has always boned me up.
Very much enjoyed the movie and the audience applauded it at the end.
Other than a few slow/awkward/stiff moments in the long beginning ( the movie is 2 hours and 17 minutes long!) I really enjoyed the movie - some really stunning photography.
A few "plot holes" but well worth the $6.50 admission in my opinion.
Took in $61,000,000.00 (sixty one million dollars!) the first day - should be a blockbuster?
I gave it a 91 on a scale of 1 to 100.
Mr. Cruise looked wonderful as well (make-up, dyed hair?).
I recommend seeing it on the big screen.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Interesting verbiage.
What part?

That Tom looked "wonderful"?

What's a verb anyway?
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
What part?

That Tom looked "wonderful"?

What's a verb anyway?

I had to look up a fancy word to throw in a post today.

Hold into the jet fumes!
Sheesh!
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Double Sheesh!

Let’s get boned up.
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Nah.

No believe it or not no sex scenes and no real cussing I remember. just damn good entertaining movie! Like I said what kid wouldn't want to be a naval aviator after watching this movie.
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Nah.

Big Jim, just tell the kids it does. They won't care afterwards. wink
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/28/22
Some times one needs see sumptin twice to Act? smile

(Damn slow intranet...)
Posted By: KenMi Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Just think of it as a senile director trying to recreate the first film. Copied most of it, but added even more virtually impossible scenarios for shock and awe. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullschitt.

Should have watched a pirated HD Cam copy and saved the donation to Hollywood. Better F18 videos online.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
My wife and I saw it this afternoon and we both enjoyed it. I think non-aviators get a bigger kick out of it ‘cause they won’t know the things that are a “little” bogus.

Filming the faces of the actors under “G” forces gave a little hint at how hard ACM is on the body. At the end of one of the ACM sequences as soon as the fight ends, Maverick rips his mask off. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve done that. It’s funny because we were breathing 100% oxygen (with older LOX systems) through the mask but it was so relieving to get a couple of deep breaths and not feel like you were sucking out of the mask. I wonder if someone coached him to do that or if it came naturally?

In the original, I think it was “Jester” that that had a patch from my F-14 squadron, VF-33 and my son jumped up and yelled out in the theater, “that’s my daddy’s squadron!” 😊 In this episode one of the characters had a patch from VFA-151 which was VF-151 when I was in it flying F-4s on the Midway. It’s a circular, black patch with a skull on it. My wife saw it first but she didn’t yell about it 😊
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
I feel like the F/A-18 just doesn’t have the screen presence as the Tomcat. When you watch the opening scenes if the original Top Gun and The Final Countdown, there is no doubting the F-14 is an awesome fighter. The Tomcat dominates the screen.

It almost looked like the Superhornets in Maverick were “enhanced” to appear more powerful. Especially the afterburners. They just seemed to become obscure.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
I thought the Tomcat was the coolest fighter plane ever….I’m sure that the original Top Gun didn’t influence me. 😁

I just told my wife that tomorrow after church we’re going out for dinner and a movie just her and I. We both have been looking forward to its debut. 👍
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Wife and I saw it today and it was a very good flik. Some of the flying scenes were unreal.
Posted By: slowmover12 Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
My wife and I saw it yesterday. We both liked it. I’m wondering how it’s doing across the country. We had 6-7 people in the theatre. There were so few I counted.
Posted By: Teal Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
TBH - I enjoyed the aviation in the first Top Gun much more. TG Maverick is a good movie, IMO, I wanted more from the flying. Bruckheimer said it was a love letter to aviation. More like to facial distortion and Gs, not aviation.
Originally Posted by slowmover12
My wife and I saw it yesterday. We both liked it. I’m wondering how it’s doing across the country. We had 6-7 people in the theatre. There were so few I counted.

My theater was sold out. It looked like they had it on 3-6 different screens.
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by slowmover12

My theater was sold out. It looked like they had it on 3-6 different screens.

Saw it, the theater has 10 to 12 screens, and almost half of them were showing Maverick,
We went to the 6 pm show, not sold out but theater was pretty close to full.
almost no masks, people out enjoying them selves, Felt good

Good Movie, I agree a little too much g pulling and faces contours, but enjoyable, clean, worth the price of admission.
Posted By: LazyL0228 Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
It's a movie, all sold out here four days in a row.
Posted By: 250Sav_age Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Originally Posted by KenMi
Just think of it as a senile director trying to recreate the first film. Copied most of it, but added even more virtually impossible scenarios for shock and awe. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullschitt.

Should have watched a pirated HD Cam copy and saved the donation to Hollywood. Better F18 videos online.

What? The director is 48 years old.
Posted By: slowmover12 Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Not to post a spoiler but the scene early in the movie with the little boy is a true gem.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Wonder how many saw the movie with a free ticket from this Applebee's promotion?

Free ticket to the new Top Gun sequel -- spend $25 at Applebee's restaurants...

https://www.applebees.com/en/specials/free-movie-tickets

Originally Posted by joken2
Wonder how many saw the movie with a free ticket from this Applebee's promotion?

Free ticket to the new Top Gun sequel -- spend $25 at Applebee's restaurants...

https://www.applebees.com/en/specials/free-movie-tickets

Thankfully some of us live hours away from such places.
Haven't been to an Applebee's in almost 20 years. Never saw that promotion before either.
Posted By: OGB Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Originally Posted by navlav8r
My wife and I saw it this afternoon and we both enjoyed it. I think non-aviators get a bigger kick out of it ‘cause they won’t know the things that are a “little” bogus.

Filming the faces of the actors under “G” forces gave a little hint at how hard ACM is on the body. At the end of one of the ACM sequences as soon as the fight ends, Maverick rips his mask off. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve done that. It’s funny because we were breathing 100% oxygen (with older LOX systems) through the mask but it was so relieving to get a couple of deep breaths and not feel like you were sucking out of the mask. I wonder if someone coached him to do that or if it came naturally?

In the original, I think it was “Jester” that that had a patch from my F-14 squadron, VF-33 and my son jumped up and yelled out in the theater, “that’s my daddy’s squadron!” 😊 In this episode one of the characters had a patch from VFA-151 which was VF-151 when I was in it flying F-4s on the Midway. It’s a circular, black patch with a skull on it. My wife saw it first but she didn’t yell about it 😊
F-4s? Jeepers you got old balls!
Just kidding.
About any mil movie can be picked apart but it sounds like they got some key details right.
Have always been envious of aviators.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Watched the first Top Gun last night because it had been a while. Still a good movie, overall, but it confirmed my personal belief that Kelly McGillis was never a good-looking woman.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Originally Posted by johnw
It's way too easy to pick apart the reality disconnects in a movie, but despite the fact that this show has disconnects on multiple levels it's a pretty entertaining couple of hours. The technical and military stuff in this one takes a distant back seat to the personal relationships of the original top gun cast fast-forwarded 30 or so years.

There's enough of fast planes, motorcycles, and blowing stuff up or shooting down the enemy to help the plot along. I spent $12 to watch it, and I'll likely own it when it becomes available for streaming. High time I bought the original, too.

Val Kilmer, playing the part of Pacific Fleet Commander, died of throat cancer in the movie. Wife told me afterwards that he has, or had throat cancer for real.

For perspective, when the original Top Gun movie was released, The Soviet Union was still our most likely and worthiest enemy. Lotta water under that bridge and this show plays on that concept well.

Val Kilmer had an earlier role as Jim Morrison in the movie," the Doors" ! George Morrison, Jim Morrison's father, was a naval aviator towards the end of WWII and later of extremely high rank in "the Gulf of Tonkin" incident .
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Saw it with girlfriend yesterday afternoon.
A good fun solid entertaining movie.

Dave
Posted By: Justahunter Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Me an my wife broke away for a rare date night last night. We REALLY enjoyed the movie.

Todd
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Watched the first Top Gun last night because it had been a while. Still a good movie, overall, but it confirmed my personal belief that Kelly McGillis was never a good-looking woman.

She had a nice restaurant in Key West. Been there many times. Don't know if she still owns it.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Is she even in this one? I remember her being pretty good looking back in the day. Top Gun and Witness era.

I also remember her being something like half a foot taller than Tom Cruise😂
Posted By: ironbender Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
We saw it yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyable and well worth a couple bucks to watch.
Posted By: deflave Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
I took the girls to see it this morning and it did not disappoint.

Grade-A family film. About 100Xs cleaner and less awkward than what we had to endure next to our parents in the 80's. LOL

If you're a Gen X or older you'll appreciate the throw back style script/plot but if you never knew WTF "Top Gun" was you're still gonna like this movie.

Raging, uptight dick heads need not apply.
Oh, and a lot of you ass holes need to stop posting about the happenings of a newly released movie.

You can recommend or not recommend a movie without discussing what happens in it.

I'm thinking Flave might have to bump his etiquette thread.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Originally Posted by deflave
I took the girls to see it this morning and it did not disappoint.

Grade-A family film. About 100Xs cleaner and less awkward than what we had to endure next to our parents in the 80's. LOL

If you're a Gen X or older you'll appreciate the throw back style script/plot but if you never knew WTF "Top Gun" was you're still gonna like this movie.

Raging, uptight dick heads need not apply.

I am not uptight.
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Agreed and funny
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Is she even in this one? I remember her being pretty good looking back in the day. Top Gun and Witness era.

I also remember her being something like half a foot taller than Tom Cruise😂

Who isn't?
I've always found the height thing to be pretty funny in regards to Top Gun because a whole lot of pilots are scrawny little fugkers.
I've always found the height thing to be pretty funny in regards to Top Gun because a whole lot of pilots are scrawny little fugkers.

It's in regard to mini Tom. Wife and I are going next weekend to see it at the drive-in
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Hard to believe the original was near 40 years ago. The CO from the first one turns 91 this month.

I’ll take the boy later this week.
Posted By: las Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
I'll wait for Prime. If I don't finish my checklist first.
Posted By: 79S Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Originally Posted by las
I'll wait for Prime. If I don't finish my checklist first.

Oh boy… take 3 hours of your time and go watch it. We all saw you surf fishing last week. So your checklist isn’t that important.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Oh, and a lot of you ass holes need to stop posting about the happenings of a newly released movie.

You can recommend or not recommend a movie without discussing what happens in it.

I'm thinking Flave might have to bump his etiquette thread.

Well said just give it your review and not spoil it. For the cost of doing anything these days it’s money well spent.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Is Maverick still riding the same motorcycle (or same model) from the original?

If so, nice touch.
Posted By: kappa8 Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Haven't seen it yet. Anything in the soundtrack to challenge Kenny Loggins' "Danger Zone"?
Posted By: 79S Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Is Maverick still riding the same motorcycle (or same model) from the original?

If so, nice touch.

Jump on the huffy and pedal yo ass to a movie theatre. Count out $7 dollars from your penny jar.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Originally Posted by 79S
Jump on the huffy and pedal yo ass to a movie theatre. Count out $7 dollars from your penny jar.

It’s a Schwinn 😎

Seen it yesterday (the movie too).

Don’t know squat about Naval Aviation but from around the time the first movie came out I do recall riding around on motorcycles with a woman on the back.

In the movie when Grecian Formula Tom is out joyriding with that woman, and she’s just smiling into the wind with no eye protection at all and not squinting even a little bit it made me chuckle.

That’s all I got, did not notice any bird calls at all.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Originally Posted by kappa8
Haven't seen it yet. Anything in the soundtrack to challenge Kenny Loggins' "Danger Zone"?

The Soundtrack doesn’t disappoint, and it ties well to the original movie.

It’s a good movie - glad I saw it in the theater, but it’s harder stretch for non- “X”-ers to follow, many very sutle links between the two. Daughter was struggling to keep up, but it came together in the end for her.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Originally Posted by kappa8

The Soundtrack doesn’t disappoint, and it ties well to the original movie.

It’s a good movie - glad I saw it in the theater, but it’s harder stretch for non- “X”-ers to follow, many very sutle links between the two. Daughter was struggling to keep up, but it came together in the end for her.

I just wish this ended like the first, with two jets in afterburner flying into the sunset with Cheap Trick playing.

That’s really my only complaint besides F-18s aren’t as cool as F-14s.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
After 36 years, it might be worthwhile watching the original TG as a refresher.
Posted By: 7887mm08 Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
Half of the new movie is just a rerun of the first. Same lines, same scenario's. The fight scenes are the only thing original in the new version.
I am a huge fan of the first but this one was a let down for me. Not much original in it.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/29/22
I ain't taintin' my Top Gun memory with this new version it sounds like.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/30/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
After 36 years, it might be worthwhile watching the original TG as a refresher.

I bought the 4K version. Not worth the money. I think the capabilities of TVs have exceeded what they can do with the film.
Posted By: Softtail103 Re: Top Gun Maverick - 05/30/22
A+ movie. Great way to get back into the theater.
© 24hourcampfire