Home
Posted By: LBP Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Should all felons be barred from firearm ownership as per current law? What about misdemeanor family violence convictions? Just wondering everyone’s opinion.
Posted By: tater74 Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Pay your price, get your rights back.

Plenty of bad guys with guns. It is the guy that is rehabilitated that is punished. I know of several people that made stupid mistakes, paid the price, and are law abiding citizens.

My thoughts. Your's may differ.
Posted By: RodWaters Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Self defense is a human right. If you paid your debt to society, society has no claim to your rights.
If your wife slapped you 5 years ago she should not have lost her right to self defense.
Shall not be infringed!
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
If they’re safe enough to walk freely amongst good citizens then they should retain the rights of all free people. Either you’re free or you’re not free.
Posted By: MickeyD Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Suppose you open a checking account and run all over town bouncing thousands of dollars worth of checks.
You get caught, charged with numerous felonies and spend several years in prison.
Now you're a convicted felon and can't legally possess firearms....but you can immediately open another checking account.

Does that make any sense?
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Exactly.

In my opinion an individual should only have certain rights “suspended” for the time they’re in or under the lawful custody of the state or federal government. Rights are inherent within us and not within the control of the state.
Posted By: LBP Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Should the type of felony matter? What about a dishonorable discharge from the military?
Posted By: Theoldpinecricker Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Definitely restoration of rights.
Posted By: Virginian2 Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by LBP
Should the type of felony matter? What about a dishonorable discharge from the military?

Yes, the type of felony absolutely should make a difference.
Posted By: rong Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by Virginian2
Originally Posted by LBP

Yes, the type of felony absolutely should make a difference.

I'm in this camp,violent crime should not be in the same catagory as say a white collar,jmo
Posted By: JHM Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
When I was very young my Mother and Father started teaching me the difference between right and wrong. They also told me what the outcome or consequences of my actions could and will be.
If you can’t do the time…
Posted By: rong Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Sadly -there's not a whole lot of "Mother and Father" in today's world.
Posted By: deflave Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by LBP
Should all felons be barred from firearm ownership as per current law? What about misdemeanor family violence convictions? Just wondering everyone’s opinion.

No.
Originally Posted by LBP

No.
Originally Posted by JHM
When I was very young my Mother and Father started teaching me the difference between right and wrong. They also told me what the outcome or consequences of my actions could and will be.

Many forget that George Washington was a wanted criminal.

“Right and wrong” can’t be taught by your mommy and daddy.
Posted By: miguel Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Felons can regain their rights to own firearms, vote, hold public office, and so on. They must complete their sentence to the satisfaction of the court, then they must apply for a Certificate for Relief from Disabilities and a Judge may or may not grant it. Once granted, it essentially expunges the conviction.
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by JHM

I beg to differ. I was told if you kill someone in anger that that is wrong and you will pay for it. I was also told that you should treat everyone as if they have some inner battle that they are fighting and you should give them the benefit of the doubt.
Your parents are your first line of defense as you grow up.

Reread the last sentence…
Posted By: bbassi Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by miguel
Felons can regain their rights to own firearms, vote, hold public office, and so on. They must complete their sentence to the satisfaction of the court, then they must apply for a Certificate for Relief from Disabilities and a Judge may or may not grant it. Once granted, it essentially expunges the conviction.
A buddy's father had a conviction from when he was 18 or 19. I don't know what it was for but I assume robbery or some such. Decades latter he petitioned the court and got his voting rights back, but not his gun rights.
Originally Posted by JHM
Originally Posted by JHM

I beg to differ. I was told if you kill someone in anger that that is wrong and you will pay for it. I was also told that you should treat everyone as if they have some inner battle that they are fighting and you should give them the benefit of the doubt.

That would mean a bunch of combat vets did something wrong when they killed people.

You'd have to be a special level of retard to teach that to a child.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
What's a considered "felony" and what's not needs to be redone ...
Originally Posted by ldholton

Go ahead and scratch out "domestic violence" and "hate crime" while we're at it.

Some of the dumbest fugking schit ever put in print.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Is the current law doing its job of keeping guns out of the hands of prohibited persons?
Originally Posted by JHM
Originally Posted by JHM

That would mean a bunch of combat vets did something wrong when they killed people.

Fighting a war and killing premeditated are two entirely different things. Of course if you were taught that you would know the difference.

My parents tried to instill good in all of there children as best as they could. My father did 2 tours in Vietnam and lived to tell about it. He didn’t ever commit any crimes because he was taught right from wrong when he was a young child. He was also a New York City beat cop before he joined the service. My mother was a great woman with many many friends that taught there children to be good children as well. I have no friends that are in prison. So to say that they are retarded is very offensive to me and I would like to give you the opportunity to say it to me face.
Just send me a PM and we can discuss a meeting place.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
"Felons can regain their rights to own firearms, vote, hold public office, and so on. They must complete their sentence to the satisfaction of the court, then they must apply for a Certificate for Relief from Disabilities and a Judge may or may not grant it. Once granted, it essentially expunges the conviction."

True for most state crimes. Not true for Federal crimes. There is no provision for restoration of firearms rights for Federal felons.
Originally Posted by JHM
Originally Posted by JHM
Originally Posted by JHM

Fighting a war and killing premeditated are two entirely different things. Of course if you were taught that you would know the difference.

My parents tried to instill good in all of there children as best as they could. My father did 2 tours in Vietnam and lived to tell about it. He didn’t ever commit any crimes because he was taught right from wrong when he was a young child. He was also a New York City beat cop before he joined the service. My mother was a great woman with many many friends that taught there children to be good children as well. I have no friends that are in prison. So to say that they are retarded is very offensive to me and I would like to give you the opportunity to say it to me face.

OK, retard.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
"Felons can regain their rights to own firearms, vote, hold public office, and so on. They must complete their sentence to the satisfaction of the court, then they must apply for a Certificate for Relief from Disabilities and a Judge may or may not grant it. Once granted, it essentially expunges the conviction."

True for most state crimes. Not true for Federal crimes. There is no provision for restoration of firearms rights for Federal felons.

Or any form of domestic violence.
That's right, no restoration for domestic violence. That was enacted in 1993. Remember who was "co-president" and who helped push this through? Hillary. Just part of the big picture, the gun grab. Libs nibble away at the Second Amendment, bit by bit.
Posted By: worriedman Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Is the current law doing its job of keeping guns out of the hands of prohibited persons?
Excellent point, just as the "law" says you have to have a driver's license to operate a motor vehicle, (and in Tennessee, have insurance as well), you can prove that lie any day in traffic court as the long line of offenders is brought before the bench and fined for not having one or both.

As an aside, last moving violation I got cost me $250.00 with fine, court cost and drivers school to keep it off my record. The judge was giving the visitors from other countries with no license or insurance fines of $15.00 and no court cost...asked Mr. Country Club about that disparity at the next county GOP meeting and he allowed as to how I have plenty and they are struggling???

Laws only have meaning for the law abiding, criminals could give a lusty crap...
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
That's right, no restoration for domestic violence. That was enacted in 1993. Remember who was "co-president" and who helped push this through? Hillary. Just part of the big picture, the gun grab. Libs nibble away at the Second Amendment, bit by bit.

But yes.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Some convicted felons should not be allowed to own firearms. Where and who draws the lines? I have a few friends that got caught growing dope to sell and are convicted felons, nothing compared to what's happening today in the marijuana business. When Florida made armed trespassing a felony offense, a lot of poaching stopped, great deterrent.
Posted By: tylerw02 Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Inalienable rights mean they cannot be taken away, even by government.
Originally Posted by JHM
Originally Posted by JHM
Originally Posted by JHM

OK, retard.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by JHM
Originally Posted by JHM
Originally Posted by JHM

Didn't know your dad, and I darn sure don't intend to disrespect him.

But you are wrong. Very wrong.
Your dad may have never murdered, raped or robbed.
May not have driven drunk.
But I guarantee you he broke laws.
Everyone does, every day if they drive a car far enough.

2 miles over, rolling stop....aren't a big deal.

But that's the point of numerous posts here.

Drunk 18 year old getting in a fight with Dad shouldn't keep
both from owning a gun for life.

Kid from a schiddy home knocks off a liquor store at 20,
does some time, get some education and pointed on a good path
shouldn't be banned from buying his 10 year old a 22.

20 years, a lifestyle and lifetime later.

America and Christianity are intertwined.
And a basic tenement in both is the ability to put the past behind
you and move forward on a better path.

It's a damn shame human kind so corrupt everything has to be codified.
So often these things should be decided by what makes sense.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by JHM
Originally Posted by JHM
Originally Posted by JHM

I can agree with some of your argument but not all of it. And you are right you do not know my father or the kind of man he was so, can we just leave my family out of this discussion please.

American is built on laws to many of them in my book. The son and father get into a fight…what happened to good ol’ common sense where the cop makes them shake hands and everybody goes about their business?

The kid holds up a store. I’m assuming he used a weapon to make his threats more believable…he threatened someone’s life. Would you trust him at your house with a gun in his pocket?

Yes humans are corrupt. To my knowledge we are the only species that commits heinous crimes on the planet. So we just turn away and let people hurt other people at will?

America was founded with christianity in the background. I God We Trust, taking the oath on the Bible, E pluribus unum ect.

Laws are meant to detour violence, crime, rape ect.
Can these law breakers be forgiven? Some think so, some don’t. I think they can with the proper rehabilitation and guidance. Can they restore their rights? Absolutely.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Years ago in his youth an old friend got drunk one evening, fell asleep outside, woke up shivering cold, no vehicle, started a small fire to warm up. At some point the fire somehow got away from him and caught a local little restaurant on fire. He was arrested and served a short time in the county jail. Fast forward years later, after leading a responsible law abiding life as an adult and retiring from a good paying job he'd held for years (he was #1 in seniority out of several hundred), he was denied the purchase of a basic firearm for hunting small game. Said he'd bought, sold and traded many firearms over the years both privately and from gun dealers and had never been denied before. Unbeknownst to him, the arson charge so many years prior was a felony. Not only could he not legally purchase a modern firearm, he was not allowed to keep in his possession any that he already owned.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by JHM
Originally Posted by JHM
Originally Posted by JHM

That's BS, so you believe that someone who robbed a liquor store using a gun should be allowed to legally own and buy guns? Having a gun pulled and used against you is something that alters your life forever.
Posted By: 57springer Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by ldholton
Yes !
Posted By: hookeye Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Worked for a couple large companies
Id say most felons are repeats and most of the time its stupid stuff.

A lot of people are worse, with no record.
Ya just never know who has done what, until you go look it up.

Yup, some people do non violent stupid crap when young and grow up. Most later are still azzholes though.

Some do well enough to drop tbe coin and have things fixed later to vote and own guns. Engineer i know did that, solid dude.

Another guy at work dropped 8 grand to clean a theft deal off that was over 10 yrs old. Well he tried, read in paper he got popped for kiddie porn.

Yup, know of a handful like him ( felony when young, claimed to have grown up ) every damn one a democrat.Except that one engineer LOL
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
I see no reason why someone who has paid their debt to society should continue to be punished by losing rights.

On the flip side, we could get rid of the atf....it's a win/win.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
This law will not keep felons from getting guns it's a waste of time and money.
Really, IMHO you gotta be a dumb mofo to get popped w a felony. Do know the system aint perfect and some stuff is BS.....esp if you're young and get a crap attorney

Some folks take the easy route and agree to the felony w no time. Then they bitch 20 yrs later when they cant buy a gun or vote.

Guess they can do that " pay later " LOL

Some really crap stuff can happen.....think Boss Hogg Dukes of Hazard chit.

Seen some judge and lawyer crookedness.
Small town and big city.

Watch how much you drink, avoid groids and crazy women. Should avoid the legal system that way.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
In California, splicing into your neighbor's cable line is a felony. You are going down!
Local case....dude bought a gun- arrested. Was thinking it was OK.... since they got the gun in one county and their felony in a diff county.

That fuggin stupid.

They breed and vote ( democrat ).
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
In California, splicing into your neighbor's cable line is a felony. You are going down!

Funny chit. I think cable companies guilty of theft
Posted By: 700LH Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Tossing a cigarette butt onto the ground can result in a felony in Illinois
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Certain people can lie on their 4473's as to whether they use drugs or not, are able to drop a handgun in a convenience store garbage can without repercussions.
Posted By: Savage_Hunter Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
armed robbers, home invasion animals, rapists, murderers, kidnappers, members of organized crime families/gangs with violent records, etal should never have gun rights again.
If they want to hunt or defend themselves then they can use archery, black powder weapons, spears, atlatls, etc.

Drug related felonies not involving distribution and other non-violent felonies, then yes get their rights back.... but conditional and situational.
Posted By: marktheshark Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Know a guy who at 18 went into the Army and got sent to the Stan with the 10th Mtn Div. Got into the sheit and came home with a Combat Infantry Badge, Purple Heart, and various other awards. Also devloped a case of PTSD and an associated drinking problem. Got 2 DUIs within a short period and served whatever sentence he got as well as got the help he needed for his PTSD and drinking.

Fast forward to the present and he is married with kids, house, a good job in highway construction etc. Also has not been in trouble with the law since the DUIs. His preteen son expressed an interest in going hunting so dad went and tried to buy a 22 and was denied. Seems DUI #2 was a 1st Degree Misdemeanor and punishable by up to 5 years so is a prohibiting offense.

Contrast this with several people I know of who are on SSI due to a made up "mental disorders" but since they have never been involuntarily committed they are free to purchase firearms even though by their application for disability have claimed they have too many mental issues to function as a productive member of working society!

The only instances I feel the right to own firearms should be revoked is for using a firearm in the commision of a crime (to complement an actual enforced minimum sentence) as well as for those who voluntarily apply for federal disablilty for mental reasons. If you're claiming that you are "too crazy" to be able to work in society, its probably not a good idea for you to own a gun either.
Posted By: marktheshark Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Also look at it this way....we dont by statute automatically take away the PRIVILEDGE of driving for LIFE of even someone who is convicted of multiple DUIs, even if they killed someone in a DUI accident....but automatically take away someones RIGHT to own a firearm for life for a conviction that had nothing to do with a gun, violence etc!!!
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
The hypocrisy that any of these laws work, is fûck’n hilarious!

Laws only stroke the egos of the politicians who thought them up and made them into laws.

If a felon who does his time, comes out of prison, and isn’t deserving of owning a firearm. Then he should have never been let out of prison.

🦫
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I see no reason why someone who has paid their debt to society should continue to be punished by losing rights.

Except for the rate of recidivism.
Within 3 years of their release, 2 out of 3 people are rearrested and more than 50% are incarcerated again
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by tater74
Pay your price, get your rights back.

Plenty of bad guys with guns. It is the guy that is rehabilitated that is punished. I know of several people that made stupid mistakes, paid the price, and are law abiding citizens.

My thoughts. Your's may differ.
I agree
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
The law forbidding felons from having guns is ONLY going to effect those who choose go straight and abide by the law after they are released. The ones who go back to a life of crime don't give a shyt about the law and will arm themselves regardless. No need to worry about the former and no way the law will keep guns out of the hands of the latter. Unfortunately the books are full of stupid laws made and upheld by stupid people.
So, back to the origination of rights denial for convicted felons.

Why was the right to vote originally taken away from felons?

Obviously to prevent felons from controlling our society. Not a bad idea, of itself.

Unfortunately, convicted felons would be preferable to most of the swamp scum inhabiting our state and national capitols today.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Withholding rights and privileges from convicted criminals as part of their sentencing, I’m fine with.

I do think there should be a clear path/time frame laid out. Whether it’s one year or a lifetime ban.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Any crime can be labeled as a felony. Some politician with clout gets a law passed the now if you spit on the sidewalk or street is a felony with up to two years in prison. You spit and get caught and is bye bye civil rights.
Another problem is lawyers. How many times has some poor fool been forced to plead guilty because he couldn't afford the lawyer's fees? Case in point, my neighbor stopped a crime in progress. He gets arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, a firearm. The real perps were a bunch of gang bangers trying to steal a car. Scumbag lawyer charge $5K just to show up. Told my neighbor to plead guilty. If he wanted to fight it, put up $100K up from and be advised it much cost another $100K before it was all over. He had to plead guilty and got a years supervised probation, then six more months unsupervised probation. After that he went before the court to get his rights back including his right to own guns. No wonder so many first time offenders cop a plea. This was a man who'd never been in any kind of trouble and didn't even have traffic tickets. Just a plain ordinary honest citizen who thought he was doing the right thing. Totally screwed by the system.
Paul B.
Posted By: Stray Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Idaho Shooter,
As I recall from my college days 35+ years ago, in one of my basic law classes, I was told that the philosophy behind losing certain rights after a felony conviction was because committing a felony act was considered so heinous that the convicted was no longer a citizen. I've tried a few times in the ensuing years to verify this but haven't. As others pointed out, what is considered today to be a felony has little resemblance to what is used to be.
Some people never learn.

Dunno what the answer is but it seems as if theyve been good 10 yrs they tend to stay good.

Most of the violent and or really stupid fuggup way before then.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
My kid keyed a line on the side of an irritating downstairs neighbors' rig one evening. Went down a few days later and owned up to the deed. Neighbor got the law involved and a court mandated paint job was about $3.5K. That value meant felony. Kid paid up even though the car was wrecked and totaled about a month later, but he's still a felon. Google his name and the arrest, mug shot, and court disposition all pop right up. Research suggest it can be expunged, but he's going to have to put in the time and effort. Mom and dad are not going to take care of that one.

He still has some alcohol issues that we're extremely uncomfortable with. Not been nailed on those even though it's well deserved, but I think his history and bit of bad luck in the future will cause him some additional grief.

As to the OP: Violence or the use of arms in any sort of crime should eliminate one's firearms rights period. Lesser issues, and one should be able to petition for restoration.
Originally Posted by Stray
Idaho Shooter,
As I recall from my college days 35+ years ago, in one of my basic law classes, I was told that the philosophy behind losing certain rights after a felony conviction was because committing a felony act was considered so heinous that the convicted was no longer a citizen. I've tried a few times in the ensuing years to verify this but haven't. As others pointed out, what is considered today to be a felony has little resemblance to what is used to be.
different verbiage, very similar meaning
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Felons and Guns - 05/28/22
Prison rehabs evil people and produces solid citizens.

Strict gun laws prevent violence.

Restoration of rights for dangerous felons is important.

carry ongrin

mike r
There used to be a Federal program for restoration of firearm rights. The felon, having done his jail time, having completed his probation, having paid his fine, then, had to remain a solid citizen for 5 years. Like, not get busted again. Like, not get a DUI. Then he could apply for restoration of rights. ATF investigated the guy, took a month or more. He needed to have a good job and references from solid citizens. But, he could get his rights restored.

Under "co-President" Hillary in 1996, this program was done away with.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Felons and Guns - 05/29/22
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by JHM
Originally Posted by JHM
Originally Posted by JHM

That's BS, so you believe that someone who robbed a liquor store using a gun should be allowed to legally own and buy guns? Having a gun pulled and used against you is something that alters your life forever.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Withholding rights and privileges from convicted criminals as part of their sentencing, I’m fine with.

I do think there should be a clear path/time frame laid out. Whether it’s one year or a lifetime ban.

What Mooner said.
Posted By: texasbatman Re: Felons and Guns - 05/29/22
Rights for a non violent felony should be restored once sentence is complete. No rights restored for a violent felony for a minimum of 15 years and must be petitioned for after that time.

Jim
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Felons and Guns - 05/29/22
Why should violent felons survive getting arrested? Go ahead and restore their gun rights- - - - -put a gun in the casket with them.
Posted By: deflave Re: Felons and Guns - 05/29/22
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Why should violent felons survive getting arrested? Go ahead and restore their gun rights- - - - -put a gun in the casket with them.

At what age did you convince yourself that you are the baddest man on the planet?

LOL

You're a retired school teacher.

STFU.
Posted By: Softtail103 Re: Felons and Guns - 05/30/22
Laws preventing convicted felons of possessing firearms has been proven not to work and only keeps the jails full. If they want a gun then they are going to get it. Just another way to keep people in the criminal justice system even when they have paid their debt.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Felons and Guns - 05/30/22
Originally Posted by Softtail103
Laws preventing convicted felons of possessing firearms has been proven not to work and only keeps the jails full. If they want a gun then they are going to get it. Just another way to keep people in the criminal justice system even when they have paid their debt.
about making money.
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Felons and Guns - 05/30/22

Because the "laws" are not enforced, Read the Federal Laws for firearms violations, Not sexy but has teeth.
LONG prison sentences, no parole.

Al Capone was arrested for Tax Code Violations.. He died in prison.
Posted By: deflave Re: Felons and Guns - 05/30/22
Originally Posted by Hancock27

Because the "laws" are not enforced, Read the Federal Laws for firearms violations, Not sexy but has teeth.
LONG prison sentences, no parole.

Al Capone was arrested for Tax Code Violations.. He died in prison.

If you were trying to pack as much incorrect into one post you did a great job.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Felons and Guns - 05/30/22
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Why should violent felons survive getting arrested? Go ahead and restore their gun rights- - - - -put a gun in the casket with them.[/quot
[quote=Hotrod_Lincoln]Why should violent felons survive getting arrested? Go ahead and restore their gun rights- - - - -put a gun in the casket with them.
Not to defend violent type criminals or really bad people at all, but you must not understand what can be a felon or is a felony some of it's pretty minor and kind of stupid to be classified as a felony. There are some types of stuff classified as misdemeanors that are much more serious than some of the felonies.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Felons and Guns - 05/30/22
There's probably a lot of felons on this forum that show their collections.
I know of guys who spent hours every week for years in the gt inner city projects of arguably the worst city in America, sharing the Good News. Never have I heard of one of those white and clean cut black guys ever having the kind of harassment or responses from bloods or Cripts as I've seen from some of the forum regulars.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Felons and Guns - 05/30/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
rhetorical question Paul?
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Yikes!

The horror.

Those cable companies are losing a lot of money that way I guess.

Hope all is well over your way.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Except for the rate of recidivism.
Within 3 years of their release, 2 out of 3 people are rearrested and more than 50% are incarcerated again

And what proportion of those re-incarcerations are for lesser crimes that lead to a probation/parole violation?

As many have mentioned, some crimes are felony level but make no sense in regards to "violent" crime, including Ranger Green's comment about tapping into a cable TV feed.

Realize, a goodly number of "ex-cons" go back in because of things like petty theft, a glass bottle in a park with a no-glass containers rule, and the like.. Depends on the person's Parole/Probation Officer and the prosecuting attorney.

I once helped put a guy back in, a recidivist if you will, for shoplifting a $3 package of burger.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Felons and Guns - 05/30/22
Isn't only those convicted of certain felonies that can lose their right to possess firearms, either. Certain misdemeanor convictions can result in loss of right to possess firearms, too. Some state's laws can increase the severity above that of federal laws, as well.
© 24hourcampfire