Home
Over the last year I’ve had occasion to be associated with three different business owners that claim to be “disabled veteran owned businesses”. I know for a fact that 2 of them served in areas where they saw no combat, one was on a sub, one in the Seabees. I was at first really surprised when they made the claim, and it’s opened up business opportunities/money making opportunities for them they otherwise wouldn’t realize.

My question is for combat vets. What’s your feeling on this? I honestly feel conflicted over whether I even have the right to question it since I’ve never served myself, but it’s hard not to feel like it’s a form of stolen valor.
A 10 percent hearing loss would qualify as disabled veteran. Yeah it bugs me too. Almost every service member has something banged up after a few years in. Not really that many lost their legs mowing down taliban with their hatchet.
a VA disability rating is related to the veterans ability to have self supporting employment after service. some ratings are low percentages and the veteran doesn't receive any monetary benefit but can receive some advantages through education and low interest loans, job training and similar.

Other ratings can be high and the veteran receives monthly payments to compensate for disabilities caused by service.

Location and type of service is irrelevant.

PM me if you have additional questions.
Not a veteran. Want that to be clear.

I look at veteran status like Christianity.

If I know that about you, if I learn it about you in a way that
isn't you using it as self promotion, you jump up in status and
I'll support you more.

But, if you trot it out. If you try to use it to gain status or think it
makes you more credible, you done crapped in your hat with me.

Gotta wonder. "Why do they feel the need to bring that into a simple
business deal?"

Can't run a con without building confidence.
Religion and Veteran are two of the best ways to do it.

This isn't anti Vet.

Think back 50 years.
How many WWII vets had their status posted everywhere?
There are supply people who have never stepped out of an office who are 100% disabled. Any service connected disability may be compensable. It needn't have taken place on the battlefield. The entire VA compensation system is on an unsustainable trajectory. Too many people are milking it for everything they can.
Not sure about that. My dad was an FE on a C-119 for 4 years, then did another 15 in the reserves. Road a desk for the DoD for 35 years. Deaf as a mud fence. Of course wrenching on loud ass turbo fan engines for Uncle Sam had nothing to do with it and the VA told him to get [bleep]. They can kiss my ass.

If a soldier, sailor, marine, or airman is injured/disabled on the job, then by God they should get all the benefits as anyone else. They most likely didn't get to choose whether they're in combat or not, but they stepped up when called or volunteered. God Bless 'em.
Gov't contracts give special consideration to disabled vets, vets, minorities, and women. You should read the spec sheet to bid a job. White males need not apply. I do have some reservation about those who use the disabled vet moniker to gain advantage. Most of the guys who became disabled with a Purple Heart type scenario won't go there. Just my experience.
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Not sure about that. My dad was an FE on a C-119 for 4 years, then did another 15 in the reserves. Road a desk for the DoD for 35 years. Deaf as a mud fence. Of course wrenching on loud ass turbo fan engines for Uncle Sam had nothing to do with it and the VA told him to get [bleep]. They can kiss my ass.

If a soldier, sailor, marine, or airman is injured/disabled on the job, then by God they should get all the benefits as anyone else. They most likely didn't get to choose whether they're in combat or not, but they stepped up when called or volunteered. God Bless 'em.

Well said! I was AF and have a Service related rating and was in several live fire theatre but was not in combat per se. I loaded and repaired a [bleep] load of aircraft though and have tinnitus and extreme hearing loss from serving, so I guess I’m milking it. The VA gave me mine without ever applying so they saw something in those x rays.

Appreciate anyone who served!
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

I'll support you more.

business deal?"

This isn't anti Vet.

Think back 50 years.

I feel the same way
Each individual is different and each case has to be judged on it's merits. I'm not really bothered by such things much. I know a lot of people who are milking the system that run the full spectrum between really decent folks and scumbags. I also know a lot of people who are really torn up (physically and mentally) that wouldn't take a dime from the system.

I've never used the VA and hope I never have to.
Originally Posted by strikeu
a VA disability rating is related to the veterans ability to have self supporting employment after service. some ratings are low percentages and the veteran doesn't receive any monetary benefit but can receive some advantages through education and low interest loans, job training and similar.

Other ratings can be high and the veteran receives monthly payments to compensate for disabilities caused by service.

Some can also qualify for SSDI and receive military and SSDI benefits at the same time.
Originally Posted by Scout308
Originally Posted by strikeu

Some can also qualify for SSDI and receive military and SSDI benefits at the same time.

if you want to see a scam system, look at social security disability. VA disability is pretty well vetted. SSDI is a total lawyer fed scam system.
I’ll be honest with you, I couldn’t care less if I bought it from a disabled vet business or Walmart. I need to think about what’s best for me and my family.
It's definitely NOT a form of stolen valor. Getting compensated for some form of permanent injury/condition incurred from military service is in no way similar to lying about your military service. And yes, I served - US Army, Retired. No - I don't have a service related disability.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Over the last year I’ve had occasion to be associated with three different business owners that claim to be “disabled veteran owned businesses”. I know for a fact that 2 of them served in areas where they saw no combat, one was on a sub, one in the Seabees. I was at first really surprised when they made the claim, and it’s opened up business opportunities/money making opportunities for them they otherwise wouldn’t realize.

My question is for combat vets. What’s your feeling on this? I honestly feel conflicted over whether I even have the right to question it since I’ve never served myself, but it’s hard not to feel like it’s a form of stolen valor.

ridiculous of course. a navy friend has 90 per cent disability due to sleep apnea. never got within 10,000 miles of combat
I’m a combat vet- I don’t have a service connected disability with the VA for 2 reasons- one is that I’m too lazy to go through the BS that it takes to get a physical with the VA, and the other is that when I was in, I was on flight status, and any injury or disability could affect that, so I never reported anything (hence no medical records to claim a disability against).

I have conflicting opinions on the disability system as a whole… there are a multitude of reasons someone can hurt themselves in the military, and only about .01% are combat related- participating in PT when you’re hurt, lifting crap with your back, tinnitus from jet engines and explosions, etc. Most of these things can be attributed to being young and stupid which is not unique to the military. Should a guy who was a laborer at a construction company at 18 be able to claim back pain issues from his employer later on in his 50’s? No. On the other hand, things like showing up to PT for a 6 miles run when you have a sprained ankle (because there’s a cultural stigma to going to the doctor unless you are actively bleeding or have a broken bone) is uniquely military. Unfortunately there are a ton of vets who claim stuff that’s just a result of “getting old”- sore backs, etc.

Combat injuries are obviously not up for discussion or argument- but that’s a tiny fraction of VA claims.

As far as being sustainable, the VA continues to get increased funding, but the huge number of WW2, Korea, and Vietnam Vets are rapidly dying, so the very small number of vets since the draft ended are going to get a proportionally larger share of the budget.
Originally Posted by ribka

ridiculous of course. a navy friend has 90 per cent disability due to sleep apnea. never got within 10,000 miles of combat

I assure you, no one has 90% disability for just sleep apnea.

Is it ridiculous knowing that he may have had repeatedly shifting sleep cycles from going from a 6 hour duty cycle while at sea to a traditional 16/8 cycle on shore for several years? I’m not an expert on sleep apnea, but I know my sleep is still totally effed up since I worked a 24 on, 18 off cycle/ then back to a normal cycle for many years. Screwing with the body clock can really mess with a guy for a long time. I guess that goes back to my earlier post which I have mixed opinions on how much an employer should compensate someone for the messed up things they made their employees do.
Originally Posted by bufaf

I assure you, no one has 90% disability for just sleep apnea.

https://ptsdlawyers.com/veterans-disability-sleep-apnea/#:~:text=Disability%20ratings%20for%20sleep%20apnea,payment%20amount%20for%20sleep%20apnea.

Disability ratings for sleep apnea are assigned at 0, 30, 50, or 100 percent.
Originally Posted by LoadClear

Is it ridiculous knowing that he may have had repeatedly shifting sleep cycles from going from a 6 hour duty cycle while at sea to a traditional 16/8 cycle on shore for several years? I’m not an expert on sleep apnea, but I know my sleep is still totally effed up since I worked a 24 on, 18 off cycle/ then back to a normal cycle for many years. Screwing with the body clock can really mess with a guy for a long time. I guess that goes back to my earlier post which I have mixed opinions on how much an employer should compensate someone for the messed up things they made their employees do.

They didn’t “make them do” it they signed on. If your injury isn’t combat related, you’re not a disabled veteran. You’re a disabled worker. You’re taking away the respect owed to a guy with limbs blown off defending his country. Just quit it.
I think some of you guys are getting caught up the weeds and missing the point of the OP as I understood it at least. Nobody is questioning or denigrating the levels of disability or whether it’s earned or not or anything of the kind.
It’s pretty common out here to meet a 30something year old with a disability rating for falling off a supply truck or rolling an ankle fugking around on a loading dock. It sure seems like a scam for many folks.

Almost like the Gov is pushing socialized medicine......

They didn’t “make them do” it they signed on. If your injury isn’t combat related, you’re not a disabled veteran. You’re a disabled worker. You’re taking away the respect owed to a guy with limbs blown off defending his country. Just quit it.

Just quit it huh? I guess you didn’t really want us combat vets’ opinions then.

Do you think that VA disability should only apply to combat wounded then? I think that opinion has merit, but that’s not what you asked.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I think some of you guys are getting caught up the weeds and missing the point of the OP as I understood it at least. Nobody is questioning or denigrating the levels of disability or whether it’s earned or not or anything of the kind.

I’ve met a few that I call bullschit on.

Do you think that VA disability should only apply to combat wounded then? I think that opinion has merit, but that’s not what you asked.
Are you really arguing that working swing shifts/long hours should grant disabled veteran status? JFC……. You’re delusional.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

I'll support you more.

business deal?"

This isn't anti Vet.

Think back 50 years.

I feel the same way

Yep, I am a Veteran, and agree with all of that. Matter of fact, when I see a website with some front & center proclamation "Owned by a disabled vet" I subconsciously, or maybe consciously, begin an eye-roll.
A big thank you to every man that left a part of his physical or mental self on the battlefield. If you’re riding the paper cut injury in the clerks office, Fugk off.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I’ve met a few that I call bullschit on.

I work with one that is on 100% disability but still “functions” in a job that if it were true would be impossible. Not debating that lol. Just that some folks get awful touchy when that gets brought up.

As I understood the OP, it was the over use of the “disabled vet” sympathy card to drum up business or donations. As someone who never served I understand his awkwardness is posing the question. As a descendant, relative , and friend of many who did serve and never used it as a crutch I have formed my own opinion.

Are you really arguing that working swing shifts/long hours should grant disabled veteran status? JFC……. You’re delusional.

That’s not what I said. I said that constantly changing shifts can screw with you sleep cycle… I left the notion that whether or not that constitutes a disability is open to mixed opinion.

It’s obvious to me that you didn’t start this thread to get the opinions of combat vets. You started this thread to opine on the disability system. At least be honest.
I’m a vet, and yes, I volunteered. However, during my 32 years in the service, there were things I had to do that resulted in accelerated wear and tear on my body that were unlikely to happen in a civilian job. Whether I had to do them because I was ordered to, or I had to do them to lead those I was privileged and entrusted to lead by example, or to not let the team down, it really doesn’t matter. It’s part of the culture. When I joined, I signed a contract. The other signatory to that contract committed to taking care of me if they broke me. While I am not combat wounded, I have issues caused by my service and have no shame in receiving the benefits they committed to. Some may accuse me of milking the system. I disagree. I held up my end of the contract and they are holding up theirs. However, I rarely speak of it, and would not use it to my advantage in dealing with others.

Old70

If you say so. It's obvious you've never spent years in 40 foot seas pulling guys from sinking crab boats.
Originally Posted by 250Sav_age

If you say so. It's obvious you've never spent years in 40 foot seas pulling guys from sinking crab boats.
Coastguard Scott Steelhead?
I know a guy that lost his foot pulling out guys on a sinking ship, no combat, just typical Coast Guard rescue stuff. Is that enough for those that never served?
I should stay out of this, but I’ve been drinking a bit, so here it goes lol!

In the early 2000’s I was a crew chief in the Army in UH-60’s. One evening at 6 or 7pm, while just washing a helicopter, I was called to ask if we had a bird ready…. We did…. The Air Force Rescue guys had a call, but all of their birds were down for maintenance. We called in a couple pilots, and the 3 of us flew over to the AF base to pick up a couple of Pararescuemen. We picked them up and flew about 45 minutes to the scene of an airplane accident- a Cessna hit a river bank on landing. The PJ’s stabilized one of the adults that had severe back injuries. Another adult just had a broken arm. There was a 4 year old boy who appeared uninjured. As the PJ’s worked on the injured adult, (and took up all the room in the back of the helicopter), I strapped the kid into my seat at the gunner’s window, and I rode back in my harness hanging mostly outside the helicopter.

We dropped the patients and the PJ’s off at the hospital, and we flew back to our Army airfield. Once we landed and shut down, I took all of the PJ’s gear, loaded it up into a pickup truck, and drive it back to the hospital to return it to them.

When I got there, one of the PJ’s was out in the parking lot crying. It turns out the 4 year old boy had a severe brain injury and died. The PJ blamed himself for not seeing the signs, and concentrating on the adult with the back injury. That PJ later won the Silver Star in Afghanistan. He now is 100% disabled for PTSD. He told me that that little boy still haunts his dreams, and THAT is why he has PTSD.

Does he deserve it? I see both sides of the argument- civilian medics deal with that kind of stuff all the time. Yet, this Silver Star winning combat vet is still really messed up from it. I don’t know.
[bleep] an a he deserves it.
Originally Posted by Geno67
[bleep] an a he deserves it.
I tend to agree, but jackmountain seems to think that unless your injuries were in combat, then you’re not a veteran.
I read that there are quite a few claiming injuries in basic training, then they're a disabled vet for life. Huge uptick in this in the past decade according to what I read.

Went to neighbors in Fl. for Christmas dinner, everybody in the family is a government worker of some type.
Lad 23 years old is saying he's out of the army ''disabled'' after 2 1/2 years, just waiting for the paperwork to get through the system.

I asked him what happened? He said ''back'' and nothing more, 10 minutes later he's in the backyard swinging his 40lbs. son. Wide leg stance swinging the boy then up high and tossing him into the air 6-8 inches, boy laughing a lot. I said be careful you'll hurt your back , he didn't say anything nor even look at me. Just a POS out to get anything he can the easiest way he can.

Sleep apnea is only 50% max.. he has other disability ratings to go with that..
I know a guy that lost his foot pulling out guys on a sinking ship, no combat, just typical Coast Guard rescue stuff. Is that enough for those that never served?

That’s a job related injury.
There is a difference between a disabled veteran and a combat wounded veteran. To me they both deserve benefits.

I do hate to see anyone wrapping themselves in the flag to thump their chest or for business benefits/ gains

Did you claim PTSD from the trauma of seeing this? Must have been tough on you to put the mop down, leave the kitchen and go see what happened to a man doing the real work on your boat.
A now gone very good friend became a gunsmith after WW2. His disabilities added up to 220%, but since he was able to work with one eye, one leg and multiple other injuries the VA would not qualify him as 100%. He died from a disease related to his injuries.
Sorry to hear that. The way the VA does disability math is strange and I can see where your friend could have a total of 220 and not rate 100 with their system. His eye would likely be about 20%, which to someone rational, would leave 80%. If the leg was worth another 20%, he would get 20% of the 80 %, for 36%. Add 10% for tinnitus, he’d get 10% of the 64%, for a total of 42%, and so on. Then when it all adds up, they round because they pay in 10% increments. It’s all very weird.

Old70
I was medical corps in the Army... with MOSs of 91 B and 91 C... plus a few others...

I didn't see combat, I am not medically disabled... I've had locals here tell me I am not a veteran because I don't have a VA card...
of course these are people who never served.. so they don't know schitt..

I had people that were sent to me, because of my MOS and was to do the testing to set the rating on their disabilities. I didn't set it, just did the report and turned it back over the doctor that was handling the issues...

Two people can have the same disability rating, but totally different circumstances...it wasn't my place to judge, regardless of my opinion.
I could say something to the doctor handling the case, but what he did with my 2 cents worth, was his decision not mine...

one of the things that I had a problem with... you take an injury, and 3 different guys present with the same complaint...
one guy was an E 3 with 2 years of service, the next one an E 8 with 20 years of service, and the third one was a LT Col with 18 years of service..
everything being equal on the injury, you'd think each would get the same rating of disability for benefits...
but it didn't work that way, during my time in at least...,

The E 8 would get a higher percentage rating than the E 3.... and the Lt Col would have a higher disability rating than the E 8.
I keep my opinion to myself, but I thought this was BS... these are all Non Combat related injuries...
I saw as much what I would call "fraud" from officers as I did enlisted, and regardless of time in service..

none of that was my decision to make....

I have issues when injuries for disabilities are bogus, be it military or civilian.. there sure are a lot of welfare bums milking the system, in greater number than in the military ( at least my time in from the mid 70s until the early 80... ( 75 to 82 in my case) or greater percentages...

but growing up as a military dependent, and then also being a veteran.. I do have issues with someone that never served, questions a military guy, who did....I say this even tho I think Jack Mtn, raises a valid point...of the aspects of Fraudulence.. which even military vets have pulled...

but there are people out there that milk the system, a lot more than they should... but then there is limited overwatch on these activities...
and I say this, living in a world nowadays, that you go to a Disability or base of need Office for benefits, you have state employees who will tell you exactly how to fill out the form to "maximize your benefits". they are admittingly telling you or directing you to how best Milk the system. Their motivation? Job security... the more people they get on their welfare rolls, the more job security they have to administer those folks claims...

its back to its all varied on a case by case basis...some folks are legit and some ARE just milking the system...

I guess bottom line is I appreciate the individuals that have the integrity NOT to cheat and milk the system, when the opportunity to do so is so simple and readily available...

I have VA Benefits I've never used... yeah I earned them.. at the same time, I have health care insurance thru my wife's health benefits at the hospital she works at... so my opinion is, leave the spot for treatment and benefits to someone who needs them more than I do... if the day comes I need to use the Benefits I earned for my time in service.. then I know my way to the local VA hospitals and clinics in the area I live in...
Originally Posted by Cluggins

Did you claim PTSD from the trauma of seeing this? Must have been tough on you to put the mop down, leave the kitchen and go see what happened to a man doing the real work on your boat.

Someone's mom had some black snake in Alabama.
© 24hourcampfire