Home
It hurts!
Yes.
A half black finger nail is a pest untill you rip it off!
Originally Posted by jackmountain
It hurts!
No, it hurts gloriously!
Never.
Only an idiot would do such a thing.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Never.
Yeah but you drive nails with a ratchet driver.
Lost track of the times, split and smashed the end of one, still finished my job, wrapped in a piece of paper towel then duct taped it.
Only a couple times.
Worked with a guy that was a relentless prick, in the winter at the end of the day, real cold out, he pounds his thumb with a hammer and opens it right up, blood spurting out of it.

I tried to make it better by asking him if it hurt, that was the last time I saw him lol.
is the pope catholic ?
Frogs ass water tight?
Originally Posted by Heym06
Frogs ass water tight?

L I K E

Carpentry 101
You haven’t worked much if you haven’t. That’s right there with wrapping up your cut fingers in electrical tape at a job site.
Oh ya, 32 oz new waffle head framing hammers feel REAL good when they kiss the fingers! Dint muss that one little bit!
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Lost track of the times, split and smashed the end of one, still finished my job, wrapped in a piece of paper towel then duct taped it.

Construction 101,,,
Hit the tip so hard it stayed flat. Luckily I keep a roll of black bandages on my pouch.
Never, on purpose….
Yes I have a few times.
It is a exquisite pain....
Apex stuff for a short amount of time.
Then a long agonizing pain.

A friend told me all about it long ago...
😬😬😬😬
Too many times. There should be a specific dance with lyrics for just such an occurrence.
It hurts!
My first job helping build a high end energy efficient home was a memorable hit. No expense spared.
I was the youngest worker, so I was the one given the task of driving nails into oak. I couldn't get the nails started with little taps. I had to swing hard. After a few nails went buzzing off the hardwood, I finally took off the end of my thumb. Lol!
I just remember that I was given a rag, told to apply pressure and hold it up. I was surprised that I was going into shock according to the owners son. It wasn't a major wound. He just said to force myself to stay awake because I kept about passing out. He said if I pass out, then I would die. Lol! As a kid I bought it.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
It hurts!
My first job helping build a high end energy efficient home was a memorable hit. No expense spared.
I was the youngest worker, so I was the one given the task of driving nails into oak. I couldn't get the nails started with little taps. I had to swing hard. After a few nails went buzzing off the hardwood, I finally took off the end of my thumb. Lol!
I just remember that I was given a rag, told to apply pressure and hold it up. I was surprised that I was going into shock according to the owners son. It wasn't a major wound. He just said to force myself to stay awake because I kept about passing out. He said if I pass out, then I would die. Lol! As a kid I bought it.

Smashing your wittle finger put you into shock?

ya gotta be shîttin us??
I was on a framing crew in Atlanta. I was nailing down the bottom plate with a 28 ounce wood handled framing hammer. Missed the 16d nail, and hit my tennis shoe. Hit the big toe. The blood was swelling up under the toenail but, not escaping. Toe turned all blue.

In a half hour, I drove myself up to Northside Hospital. The pain was excruciating. Doc got a paper clip and unfolded it and clamped it into those little forceps. He pulled out a Bunsen Burner and heated the paper clip, white hot. Then he held the paper clip point against my toenail. In 2 seconds, he burned a hole through the toenail. A cloud of smoke rose out of the toe. I could smell the burning toenail, smelled like a burned pork roast. The blood squirted out, and splashed all over doc's shirt. My toe felt much better.
When I started plumbing we used oakum rope and lead to seal cast iron joints. You are beating on caulking tools all day. You can’t see underneath joints in ditches. So, yes I’ve hit hit my fingers thousands of time, mostly my right thumb.
Smacked the head of my dick with a rubber mallet once, does that count?
Actually my big finger. It's called a thumb.
I was surprised to think that losing that little meat and blood could put anyone into shock. The owner's son was a med student and I was just a dumb kid. What would I know?
But you and miss rene can make this quote into a personal "vendetta" if you want to. It will hurt about as much as the thumb still hurts today.
It hurts!
Needle held under a propane torch will burn a hole quick and let the blood out from under a nail, be careful how deep.
More times than I want to remember. Lol.
pictures or it didnt happen
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A half black finger nail is a pest untill you rip it off!
Ya got to stick a pin in it immediately get the pressure off
It hurts!

If you a man and a worker not a couch potatoe then im betting all of us have at some time
Years ago - Sunday evening - repairing the wooden steps out back - trying to nail where I couldn't see - got my thumb. Spent the night in the recliner with my arm resting across the top of my head. Went to Doc Douglas first thing in the morning. Took me back to his office and sat me in a chair next to his desk. While I'm in agony, the man is fiddling with a paper clip, then gets a lighter out of his drawer. Heats up the bent clip to a nice orange and brings it down on my nail. Room smells quite unpleasant. Blood shoots out of my thumb onto his white lab coat. Instant relief.
Damn guys!
You can't outsmart a nail?

First "real" carpenter job. Went to the hardware store and bought a brand spanking new Vaughn 20 oz "waffle head" framing hammer.
First day on the job, we went to work at 7:30AM. I was setting a nail for a stud. The razor sharp waffling peeled the skin off the side of my left thumb.
Blood pouring, I walked over to the side of the slab and beat the waffling down flat! Wrapped my thumb with a paper towel and some electrical tape. Thumb was a bit sore for a day or two.

Know what "J hooks" are?
Trying to separate some welded wire that had been J-hooked together with a scratch awl. I had been wearing gloves, but had slipped them off.
I stuck the awl in the aluminum "hook", thought, "I better put my gloves on......as soon as I get this hook off!"
The hook separated, the awl slipped and my right index finger nail was suddenly....and unceremoniously ripped from it's bed to lay back on my finger, upside down and backwards!
It took all the grit I could muster to complete the job the wire had started. Stop the bleeding, cover with a rag/paper towel (etc) THEN put on gloves to complete task!
Why do you suppose that thing on the end of your finger is called a nail?
Hammers?...... nail guns are where it's at.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Badass!
Yesterday! Flesh blew out from under the nail………..and now the tip came off. Yeah it still hurts!
Sliced a good chunk off the end of my left index finger once, didn't hurt as bad as being smashed at first but it hurt like hell every time I bumped it on something for weeks.
Why would anyone want to hit their thumb with a hammer? 😳
I was surprised to think that losing that little meat and blood could put anyone into shock. The owner's son was a med student and I was just a dumb kid. What would I know?
But you and miss rene can make this quote into a personal "vendetta" if you want to. It will hurt about as much as the thumb still hurts today.

Did you shit your diaper?
Funny story...

When i worked offshore, young roughneck smashed his finger.

Didn’t take long, his finger nail was throbbing.

Called me, Can you help me?

Shoot yeah!

Come around to my welding shop.

I kept some small drill bits....

Before i started, I TOLD HIM, DONT PANIC. 😂😂

I’m gonna heat this up, and push it through the nail. Easy peasy.

I grabbed his hand, Laid it flat on the work table. Kinda blocked it some he couldn’t see.....

Here we go......

The hot bit went righty thru.... but he snatched his hand outta my hand.....

Yelling like a lil b!tch... 😂🤣😂.

Flailing around with the bit still in his finger.

I done got to laughing, trying to get him stopped before he hurt himself...

Asked him why he panicked? He didn’t know.

Instant relief once you get the pressure off....
As a teenager I helped a family member put a corrugated, framed roof
on a trailer. They had bought short (1/2"?) roofing nails.
By the pound, you get more!

Pounding them through a single layer was bad enough, they would pop through and about evrry 3rd one youd get finger. Trying to go through
multiple layers, while flinching from them being so sore, was worse.

The second day I showed up with needle nose pliers.

I know an old guy who mashed his thumb.
Lotta guys will take a small drill bit and twist it by hand to drill the nail. Only takes a second.

Well, he had heard of that, but thought he would use the drill press.
Set it up real good, support for the thumb, quill stop to keep from
going into the good stuff.

You know how a burr of steel grabs the bit and pulls it?
The nail grabbed the bit and pulled his thumb right up the drill bit.
Suddenly his thumb was sore from top to bottom!
Throughout life I have discovered numerous, more creative ways to blacken a finger, to include having a steel aircraft hangar door slam on miltiple fingers and bending them backwards over themselves and fracturing them.
Or... having a seventy-pound steel plate drop on them. Makes one religous and a sinner all at one time. 😁
Of course, the ol' hammer with a good blow to the thumb
must be realized by all good men at least once or twice in a lifetime.

4 times, only took a pic the last time.
One through the knee landed me in surgery.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One of many things I share in common with Jesus. LOL
It hurts!

The smart thing to do when nailing into seasoned oak, especially in "high end energy efficient homes" is to

DRILL A FREAKIN' STARTER HOLE.

so you don't split that "high end wood"

Sheesh

The rest of your story is pretty unbelievable too.
It hurts!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

the 2nd time I hit my thumb with that damn hammer, I picked it up and threw it as hard and far as I could ,them I went and picked it up and threw it again .I guess it's still where it landed. damn that hurt @#$^/*>&^=
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
As a teenager I helped a family member put a corrugated, framed roof
on a trailer. They had bought short (1/2"?) roofing nails.
By the pound, you get more!

Pounding them through a single layer was bad enough, they would pop through and about evrry 3rd one youd get finger. Trying to go through
multiple layers, while flinching from them being so sore, was worse.

The second day I showed up with needle nose pliers.

I know an old guy who mashed his thumb.
Lotta guys will take a small drill bit and twist it by hand to drill the nail. Only takes a second.

Well, he had heard of that, but thought he would use the drill press.
Set it up real good, support for the thumb, quill stop to keep from
going into the good stuff.

You know how a burr of steel grabs the bit and pulls it?
The nail grabbed the bit and pulled his thumb right up the drill bit.
Suddenly his thumb was sore from top to bottom!
I use a lot of 1/2 and 5/8 inch concrete nails nailing tack strip. try to keep my thumb and index nails to hold them.
It hurts!
Well let's just go with "a finger" was hit..
Where I've worked, it means your pecker is still growing.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Why would anyone want to hit their thumb with a hammer? 😳

Chicks love that.
Jesus was a carpenter. How he kept from cussin I’ll never know.
It tickles compared to this

Although now I'm twice as careful using a hammer and nails
That's because you're running outta fingers to hold the nail.....
And now I have to swing left handed
that was a given...
Originally Posted by Irving_D

WTF did you do?
Always used a pocket knife to drill a hole in the fingernail.
There is also another technique to punch your finger with phillips
bit in a cordless or motorized drill. mad
Originally Posted by shootem
Wonder if he smoked Camels too:

Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by Irving_D

WTF did you do?
Firewood accident I have a pto mounted buzz saw, I was bumped into while I was using it
It does not have be a hammer, I swing a knotter shut on a IH 50T baler and got a black nail.
6/5/22 – (HC* goes into shock after hitting his thumb with a hammer.)

“My first job helping build a high end energy efficient home was a memorable hit. No expense spared.

I just remember that I was given a rag, told to apply pressure and hold it up. I was surprised that I was going into shock according to the owners son. It wasn't a major wound. He just said to force myself to stay awake because I kept about passing out. He said if I pass out, then I would die. Lol! As a kid I bought it.”

[*HC = Hardly Conscious]

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
6/5/22 – (HC* goes into shock after hitting his thumb with a hammer.)

“My first job helping build a high end energy efficient home was a memorable hit. No expense spared.

I just remember that I was given a rag, told to apply pressure and hold it up. I was surprised that I was going into shock according to the owners son. It wasn't a major wound. He just said to force myself to stay awake because I kept about passing out. He said if I pass out, then I would die. Lol! As a kid I bought it.”

[*HC = Hardly Conscious]

LOL 😂😂😂😂
Originally Posted by Valsdad
It hurts!

The smart thing to do when nailing into seasoned oak, especially in "high end energy efficient homes" is to

DRILL A FREAKIN' STARTER HOLE.

so you don't split that "high end wood"

Sheesh

The rest of your story is pretty unbelievable too.

*Pilot Hole

Double Sheesh X2
Ever split rounds with wedge and maul wearing sandals?

Buncha pussies anyway, jeez
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by shootem
Wonder if he smoked Camels too:

I’ll bet He was level on the level.
One time I watched a guy put his thumb on the end of a piece of rebar his buddy was driving into the ground with a 12lb sledgehammer, vaporizing his thumb.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
One time I watched a guy put his thumb on the end of a piece of rebar his buddy was driving into the ground with a 12lb sledgehammer, vaporizing his thumb.

Geeez, threw up in my mouth a little.
Originally Posted by DeadHead

Badass!

Art
Got 2 at the same time. Takes talent to do that

Anyone ever hit their finger with a hammer?
Today ?

Originally Posted by tikkanut
is the pope catholic ?
This....

Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
You haven’t worked much if you haven’t. That’s right there with wrapping up your cut fingers in electrical tape at a job site.
And This...
© 24hourcampfire