Home
Heading out early to take Rocky for a run and swim, and we hit a deer. Only thing hurt is my pride.

He came out of a ditch before you knew it and we collided. Luckily, I guess, I was only going about 40MPH. He, more or less, hit me. blush

There's one less buck to hunt this fall. frown

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Glad that you and the dog are ok!
Wow, hard hit, a lot of damage to the ole F-150.
Damn! Something I always worry about. They are very active on country roads around here, and I see them dead on the side of the road a lot. Apparently, they can just decide to run out in front of your car.

PS I think it's legal, by the way, to field dress them and bring them home. In most places, anyway.
A little road-side surgery with the ol' Gorilla tape, collected up the parts, and we were back on the road.

Learned that from Red Green - always keep a roll of Gorilla tape in the truck. wink

A little wobbly in the front end, but it should hold. smile laugh

That sucks. BTDT
Dang, that's not good.
I hit a doe going 30 in downtown Georgetown in front of the HEB at I-35 and 29. Broke grill, dented fender, 1800.00 damages.

Glad you and pup are OK
Hit a bear year and a half ago. Light straight skid marks up to the point where it whacked my left front. Marks then did a 90 right and off the road I went into an embankment. My old 2001 Tahoe. Totaled. Bear ran off. Guessing 300#ish.
Glad you and the dog are fine. Sorry about your truck.
Glad you are ok.
Been there done that, 70 mph and saw the deer just as it hit the grill.
Insured fix was $7100.
Legal to pick up road kill and eat 'em in Georgia, and I have picked up a half dozen of them, two of them a deputy helped me load them up.

Go figure, but illegal in Texas. I don't know about Kansas.
What an absolutely sucky way to start the day! Good to hear you and Rocky are ok. Sure have hit my fair share over the years…and have had 3 hit me. One in particular, a monster doe, blasted out of the weeds on a summer night about 30 years ago, and her head obliterated my driver’s side mirror, then she waffled into the bedside of that truck. I had just rolled my window most of the way up about 5 minutes prior. There was pock marks on the window made from the mirror shattering. Can’t imagine how much uglier I’d be today, if I hadn’t rolled the window up! Sucks about the truck, but good you and pup are good to go!

Doc_Holidude
Condolences.
Damn skeen. Glad you and the pooch are okay. Hope the buck went in the back of the truck.
Wife hit one Friday night, totaled her 2009 Mustang
Saw a couple splattered on this side of the state line yesterday.

One of em looked like a barrel of blood exploded on the asphalt.
I have never hit one,but have had three jump into the side of my car, truck and horse trailer
know two people who were killed hitting hogs down, be glad it wasn't worse
Glad you and the dog are ok. Truck can be repaired.
That sucks. Glad you and the pup didn’t get tossed around too much.
My neighbors wife just nailed a big doe with her 2012 Camaro SS convertible . Totaled it , $20,000 damages
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have never hit one,but have had three jump into the side of my car, truck and horse trailer

That's usually the case, they do the hitting.
Hate when that happens.
Good to keep duct tape, nylon and metal zip ties, a knife and assorted tools on hand, you never know.
Careful though, cops think a knife, duct tape and nylon ties may be a “rape kit”! That had never crossed my mind until someone mentioned it.
The worst may be yet to come….just had a fender bender myself….. dealer said parts are three months out….minimum…
Wife and I almost hit a big Doe last evening! At 60 mph it was real close, we were in her jeep Compass! Looked like he would have had a nice rack come fall. Glad your aright.
Had a deer jump in front of the Kenworth last week. Headlight, half a bumper and a fender. Headlight alone was over $1,000 with tax. Can't wait for the painting bill on the bumper cover and fender. I'm sure that'll be cheap.

Could be a lot worse, didn't hit the CAC, AC or radiator. That would be two weeks downtime.
Ahhhh hell. Glad you and the pooch came away without a scratch.
When I was a kid in high school, a buddy hit a dog with his '71 Vega, and danged near totalled it, ruining the grill, bumper, fan, etc. The dog ran off unharmed. The Chevy took a chit.
Originally Posted by skeen
Heading out early to take Rocky for a run and swim, and we hit a deer. Only thing hurt is my pride.

He came out of a ditch before you knew it and we collided. Luckily, I guess, I was only going about 40MPH. He, more or less, hit me. blush

Happens to the best of us.

That antler could probably be valuable in a Chynese Restaurant.

Those bachstraps would be primo this time of year.

Glad all are ok but the deer.
Glad you guys are OK. My number has come up 4 times.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Never hit a deer, but was in a car that hit a wart hog in Zim at hwy speeds. SOB got up, staggered over to a rail track and fell over. Got up again and wandered off when a train came.

Car was messed up.
time for a cow-catcher bumper.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Never hit a deer, but was in a car that hit a wart hog in Zim at hwy speeds. SOB got up, staggered over to a rail track and fell over. Got up again and wandered off when a train came.

Car was messed up.

How much do those weigh?

And

Roger, I wonder how big the hogs were? Well over 200 I'd guess.
Totalled me and my Harley when I hit a Doberman. So far been lucky when it comes to deer. My kids and wife have hit 10+ deer in the last 15 years. They always claim the deer hit them, but the damage is always on the front of the vehicle.
Biggest deer I ever killed was with my F-150 at 2 am. First thing I said after I hit him was “dang, his antler broke”
Hit a yearling last Oct. with the 4Runner. It has a winch bumper. 55 mph between the headlights hit. Only damage was to the license plate frame. Whoo-hoo. Bumper paid for itself that day and the meat is in the freezer. Didn't lose as much meat as I expected.
I've hit 3 deer and one antelope with vehicles over the years. Thankfully only twice had significant vehicle damage. Ans then the one on my motorcycle, gave me a few cracked ribs and a few bruises.
My dad always told me if a deer runs in-front of you, hit it, don't go in the ditch trying to avoid it. Things in the ditch can do more damage then hitting a deer.

glad the OP came out unscathed.
I was rolling down I 10 at 2am in the big rig, headed to San Antonio. A big 8 pointer stepped out in front of me, I hit him in the right ham. It knocked him off onto the shoulder, but he was still alive. I cut his throat with a knife.

The deputy came out and handed me the report. And I told him I was going to cut out the back straps, and then be on my way. The deputy said "Well, I am leaving. Don't let the Game Warden see you cutting up that deer. Goodbye." And he got in his car and left. He was saying it was illegal to cut up road kill in Texas. I drove off, came back by two days later, the buzzards were eating those back straps.
What's the damage report on the truck,,5k ?
Seems alot of the plastics are costly,and make sure they look at the front end good.
Glad you and the pooch were ok
Glad to hear your 'number' was a decimal point with a few zeroes to the right of the decimal point...
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
The deputy came out and handed me the report. And I told him I was going to cut out the back straps, and then be on my way. The deputy said "Well, I am leaving. Don't let the Game Warden see you cutting up that deer." He was saying it was illegal to cut up road kill in Texas. I drove off, came back by two days later, the buzzards were eating those back straps.

Legal to take road kill in Colorado. Must be reported though.The two that got me were claimed while I was assessing damage.
Deer guards should be standard equipment on pickups.

Sorry Skeen, glad you're ok.
Glad you and dog are OK, that sucks. I hope you have good luck getting it fixed quickly, around Memphis TN there have been news stories of body shops not accepting any new business until Sept/Oct. due to backlog, difficulty getting parts and lack of people to do the work
I have never hit a Whitetail, but have had 5 hit me.
So sorry that you tagged the deer. My first thought was I hope the current supply chain chit doesn't delay you getting your truck fixed back up.
Hit heaps of kangaroos here. Mostly with the bullbar but come close on motorcycles.

Had three do real damage, one hit at front headlight on Toyota Prado at 60mph with a fancy factory alloy bullbar. $16,000 damages, couldn’t open drivers door (right hand drive). Alloy bullbar not worth zip.

Other two lots damage they hit either side, one I had a couple hit while I was doing about 30.. one roo left an impression in the dust on the side of the vehicle, with the tail clearly hitting the rear light and curving round to put a dent in the tailgate, didn’t make sense to me. Bloody roo’s.

Came close to hitting a mob of giraffe, with a few zebra in it, in Tanzania. Doing 50mph when they just appeared out of the Bush. Buggered if I know how something nearly 20ft tall can just appear. Stood on the brake and they all went around me. We sat in stunned silence and then looked from where they came, nothing chasing them, they just ran across the road and stopped. Apparently they like to play last across the road like chickens do.

Driving up to the monument in Astoria late 2018 and a buck comes walking down the hill at me, passed right by us. My wife’s going Elk, elk🤣. Blacktail? Nice looking rack. We saw Elk later close to the coast, great to see. Had to keep an eye out at night near the coast coming aback from Oysterville, WA to Portland as there were lots of deer and I dint want to wear one in the rental car.
If you see a deer at night, forget flashing your lights they will ignore that.
Honk your horn. Intermittant blasts from the horn will make the deer swerve away from the road.
Glad you and Rocky are OK.
I've hit a few myself. My wife almost singlehandedly keeps one of the local body shops in business.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
If you see a deer at night, forget flashing your lights they will ignore that.
Honk your horn. Intermittant blasts from the horn will make the deer swerve away from the road.

Or cause the ones in the bar ditch to dart out into the roadway.
The wife had a Honda van that I swore was a deer magnet, she had deer run into the side of it on two occasions. One was a doe and the other a buck, doe did no damage and the buck's antlers left a crease down the side of the sliding door.
Headed home from the hospital in Wenatchee years ago was always an obstacle course especially during the winter when the Mulie migration was running. There were literally some nights that I sat watching and drinking my beer while they crossed the road for 10 or 15 minutes. One night about midnight or after (I worked swings) I was doing about 60mph headed up the Columbia River to our house up lake Chelan when a group of does appeared out of nowhere but blocking the road. I was driving our Toyota Celica convertible and immediately hit the brakes, downshifted and goosed it right between 2 deer. It was almost perfect except at the last minute I bumped into the ass end of a doe. Bumping her ass caused her to spin and she bumped her head into the rear quarter panel putting a small dent in the car. She was unhurt, a little dazed but otherwise she was fine. I couldn’t believe how lucky I got because that small convertible would’ve been demolished and I would’ve likely sustained some injuries if I hadn’t been able to thread the car through the needle.

Another post midnight drive home from the hospital occurred during a very heavy snow. I was driving my Blazer that night when a coyote came running up from the river side of the road and right in front of me. Because of the snow and road conditions I was lucky that I did not react intuitively and hit the brakes because it would’ve caused me to slide and possibly lose control. Instead I kept my speed steady and then I heard and felt the thump-thump of my front and rear tires running over Wiley. I hate hitting any critters with my cars or trucks and I always try to safely avoid doing so but sometimes there’s just no time or safe option so you just gotta take it on the chin.

I’m glad that you and your pup are good and that your truck will be fine. Are you guys allowed to salvage the meat?
DAMN Skeen!

It is amazing the amount of damage a deer can do isn't it.

I was driving one evening during a bad dust storm in BFI (Bum Fugg Iraq) and all the sudden was playing dodge the camel. Thought for sure we were goners on that one. Stupid giant things were all over the road. kept think that elk were big but holy crap a camel is a something else. I didn't even have time to say anything about the first couple ones to warn the guys behind me. It just all happened too fast. How nobody got killed or seriously injured that day is beyond me.
Originally Posted by skeen

That's not a number come up, that's an insurance claim. You didn't die, all is good.
So far, I've "collected" a steer, a deer, and a horse.
Hadn't even gotten the truck repaired after the steer - when I hit the deer!
We've started using full Ranch-hand bumpers, since an antelope went under my brother's pickup, taking out the plastic spoiler.
That piece of plastic was more expensive than a full bumper set-up!
Originally Posted by huntsman22
time for a cow-catcher bumper.....

Yes, Sir, Huntsman, I sure wish I'd had that this morning. laugh
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Damn skeen. Glad you and the pooch are okay. Hope the buck went in the back of the truck.

Brother dirt, it did not.

Several ol' boys stopped to check on us, see if we needed help, and whether or not I was gonna take the deer.

I told 'em have at it, I'd done tenderized that young buck all up for 'em. grin
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
DAMN Skeen!

It is amazing the amount of damage a deer can do isn't it.

I was driving one evening during a bad dust storm in BFI (Bum Fugg Iraq) and all the sudden was playing dodge the camel. Thought for sure we were goners on that one. Stupid giant things were all over the road. kept think that elk were big but holy crap a camel is a something else. I didn't even have time to say anything about the first couple ones to warn the guys behind me. It just all happened too fast. How nobody got killed or seriously injured that day is beyond me.

Mackay! My friend, I don't know exactly where BFI is, but I'm certain I've been through there. grin

Matter of fact, as far as I'm concerned, that whole country is BFI! laugh
Not long after Huntsmans deeracide smooshed his dually's tender bits I went Ranch Hand and lost a couple of mpg's but I'm glad I have it.

I hit one on the way to hunting camp way bak when. Did $3800.00 in damage to my truck. Cousin hit a Black Bear with his Harly, totaled the Harly and broke his leg in two places and had several lacerations. Bear walked off into the woods never to be seen again.
Picking up road kill is a mixed bag. You come upon the scene of a deer that got hit by a truck in the neck area, Merry Christmas! The neck and maybe the shoulders are trashed, all busted up and bloodshot, inedible, but the straps and hams are still good. The best meat on the deer is fine.

On the other hand, you get a deer that has been hit broadside by a truck, hams straps, and shoulders are all smashed up, ruined. You go to gut a deer like that, the guts are a horrible mess. This would make you want to give up on picking up road kill.
Many long years ago when I still lived in San Francisco I was taking what I called the back road down to San Bruno to pick up my girl friend. As usual the tule fog had set in and visibility was a skosh short. Some dude came roaring down the road passed me and I see brake lights. Well said dude just hit a deer. Looked like a broken neck on the deer so as the guy said he was all right, I stuffed the deer into the trunk of my 66 Mustang and gave the guy a lift into town to call a tow truck for his car. I picked up the girl friend, told her a slight change in plans and we went to my place where I hung the deer in the basement and proceeded to do a fast gut and skin job. That guy must have clipped the head just right as the neck was broken and other than the neck, the rest of the deer was just fine. Then I took the girl friend out for the promised dinner and a movie The rest of that evening turned out just fine.

Years later, the wife and I took a trip to Oregon to visit our daughter. Going up through northern California we saw over 100 dead deer lying by the side of the road. It was late enough in the year that if any of the deer were bucks, there should have been antlers. Not one deer had "horns". Guess that's the fruit of California policy of believing does and spikes are sacred cows, not to be hunted or shot. That was an awful lot of meat wasted lying there on the road.
Paul B.
Sheriff sent me a pic last week of a deer inside a car. Guts and feces everywhere. He said the first car launched it into the air and the following vehicle's windshield caught it full force. The second car is going to need a serious detail job.
Hey Skeen,

were you dressed in your deer hunting attire or long pants and boots?

Glad you and the pooch are OK.

Them deer can be down right expensive.
I had a ranch hand full replacement bumper and grill guard on my old truck. Hit a deer one morning driving to deer camp. Rolled the deer up and didn't scratch or dent my truck. Will buy one for my new truck when they become available. Son had a 3/4 ton dodge and he hit 3 deer in it and never had a mark on the truck.
I just got back from a trip from Branson MO to Plymouth MA and back close to 3500 miles, I did not take the same roads there and back. I must have seen 300 plus deer hit on the side of the road in my round trip it was quite disturbing. so much that my wife asked me to look out and tell her ahead of time, so she could close her eyes or atleast turn her head away. She could not handle all that carnage and was very upset and distraut on how they were just left there where ever they landed.
Wrong calibre, should have been using a GMC.
First time was a doe. I was doing about 65 or 70. Dead deer, messed up but drivable Olds Cutlass.
Second was a doe. Knocked her down, but she was able to get up and run off. A little hair in the grill. Ford pickup not hurt.
Third was a buck, Nice 7 point. Road kill casseroles!
There was a small dent in the trim on the hood where the left antler hit it. Only the left ribs and left shoulder were inedible. Chevy pickup unharmed.
Fourth, hit that big bi+@# at 45 mph on a dirt road. Watched three deer cross the road...BAM! ....there was a fourth in the ditch!
Dodge Ram drivable, but messed up about like your truck..... but ... my truck was a '95 and the insurance would touch it.
I’ve collected 4 over the last 22 years since I’ve moved back. Many close calls.
That sucks. sorry yer truck was damaged, but glad you and the pooch are ok.
Came across a Ford F150 sitting on the side of the road.
Bio schmear was evident a good fifty yards down the road behind the truck......along with bits and pieces of the truck and the left front wheel.
Immediately in front of the truck was what was left of as not a 250 pound hog!

Back in 2015, a woman was killed when she hit a hog in her shoebox car.
© 24hourcampfire