Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Picking up road kill is a mixed bag. You come upon the scene of a deer that got hit by a truck in the neck area, Merry Christmas! The neck and maybe the shoulders are trashed, all busted up and bloodshot, inedible, but the straps and hams are still good. The best meat on the deer is fine.

On the other hand, you get a deer that has been hit broadside by a truck, hams straps, and shoulders are all smashed up, ruined. You go to gut a deer like that, the guts are a horrible mess. This would make you want to give up on picking up road kill.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Many long years ago when I still lived in San Francisco I was taking what I called the back road down to San Bruno to pick up my girl friend. As usual the tule fog had set in and visibility was a skosh short. Some dude came roaring down the road passed me and I see brake lights. Well said dude just hit a deer. Looked like a broken neck on the deer so as the guy said he was all right, I stuffed the deer into the trunk of my 66 Mustang and gave the guy a lift into town to call a tow truck for his car. I picked up the girl friend, told her a slight change in plans and we went to my place where I hung the deer in the basement and proceeded to do a fast gut and skin job. That guy must have clipped the head just right as the neck was broken and other than the neck, the rest of the deer was just fine. Then I took the girl friend out for the promised dinner and a movie The rest of that evening turned out just fine.

Years later, the wife and I took a trip to Oregon to visit our daughter. Going up through northern California we saw over 100 dead deer lying by the side of the road. It was late enough in the year that if any of the deer were bucks, there should have been antlers. Not one deer had "horns". Guess that's the fruit of California policy of believing does and spikes are sacred cows, not to be hunted or shot. That was an awful lot of meat wasted lying there on the road.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sheriff sent me a pic last week of a deer inside a car. Guts and feces everywhere. He said the first car launched it into the air and the following vehicle's windshield caught it full force. The second car is going to need a serious detail job.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Skeen,

were you dressed in your deer hunting attire or long pants and boots?

Glad you and the pooch are OK.

Them deer can be down right expensive.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I had a ranch hand full replacement bumper and grill guard on my old truck. Hit a deer one morning driving to deer camp. Rolled the deer up and didn't scratch or dent my truck. Will buy one for my new truck when they become available. Son had a 3/4 ton dodge and he hit 3 deer in it and never had a mark on the truck.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just got back from a trip from Branson MO to Plymouth MA and back close to 3500 miles, I did not take the same roads there and back. I must have seen 300 plus deer hit on the side of the road in my round trip it was quite disturbing. so much that my wife asked me to look out and tell her ahead of time, so she could close her eyes or atleast turn her head away. She could not handle all that carnage and was very upset and distraut on how they were just left there where ever they landed.

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wrong calibre, should have been using a GMC.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First time was a doe. I was doing about 65 or 70. Dead deer, messed up but drivable Olds Cutlass.
Second was a doe. Knocked her down, but she was able to get up and run off. A little hair in the grill. Ford pickup not hurt.
Third was a buck, Nice 7 point. Road kill casseroles!
There was a small dent in the trim on the hood where the left antler hit it. Only the left ribs and left shoulder were inedible. Chevy pickup unharmed.
Fourth, hit that big bi+@# at 45 mph on a dirt road. Watched three deer cross the road...BAM! ....there was a fourth in the ditch!
Dodge Ram drivable, but messed up about like your truck..... but ... my truck was a '95 and the insurance would touch it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I’ve collected 4 over the last 22 years since I’ve moved back. Many close calls.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That sucks. sorry yer truck was damaged, but glad you and the pooch are ok.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Came across a Ford F150 sitting on the side of the road.
Bio schmear was evident a good fifty yards down the road behind the truck......along with bits and pieces of the truck and the left front wheel.
Immediately in front of the truck was what was left of as not a 250 pound hog!

Back in 2015, a woman was killed when she hit a hog in her shoebox car.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,159
Posts18,502,996
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.