Home
Posted By: High_Noon Chickens are Dying - 06/13/22
Wonder if anyone has an answer regarding the death of 2 of our chickens. One Rhode Island Red and the other a black and white (forget the breed). Just up and died, not predator related. Could it be Avian Flu or could it be the heat? They have plenty of shade and water.

The black & white that died was acting funny yesterday - sitting on the eggs all day, which she had never done before.

The Rhode Island Red had crap stuck all over her backside and wasn't laying before she died.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Also, anyone have an idea for an 'automatic' chicken feeder. The one my brother built doesn't flow all that well and get's clogged with any moisture when it rains:

Posted By: las Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/13/22
Get them tested.....NOW!
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/13/22
I'll have my brother get them tested when he gets back from S. TX on Thurs.

I didn't think Avian Flu was in TX at the moment.

Should we not eat the eggs?
Posted By: Reba Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/13/22
ONCE AGAIN "GET THEM TESTED NOW" DOES NOT MEAN WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looking into it now.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/13/22
PM or email me for some sketches of a gravity fed barrel-style "turkey feeder" we use to keep deer and other varmints out of the cracked corn we use to supplement winter food for the ones we hunt. With a little design tweaking, it would work well for chickens.
Posted By: Steve Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/13/22
Originally Posted by High_Noon

It's in Erath county.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/data-map-commercial.html
I spoke to the Veterinarian at the Texas Animal Health Commission and he does not think it's Avian Flu based on my answers to his questions. He thinks it could be any number of things like the extreme heat or a bacterial issue, but not Avian Flu. He suggested getting a small square of alfalfa for them to peck and some oyster shells as a calcium supplement. Brother feeds them Layers scratch pellets. Also need to provide plenty of clean water. The water jug he has hooked up has some algae in it. He said clean bedding is not critical.

Also we have not been in contact with any other poultry and brother has raised them from chick-sized.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/13/22
Meh. Bird flu shmird flu.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/13/22
West Nile can cause it, also, and it's everywhere now. It's decimating wild gallinaceous fowl out west.

Get them tested yesterday!
Vet said I don't need to get them tested at the moment and to call him back if any more die. I think they'll send someone out if they suspect Avian Flu to do the testing. He said that if it was Avian Flu they'd all be dead by now since the first Rhode Island Red died almost 10 days ago. He also said the only way to figure out what kilt them is to perform a series of very expensive tests.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/13/22
This one works well for me. Think it will hold 25lbs or so. I usually only put in a couple pounds unless I'm away from the house for a few days.

https://products.blains.com/600/82/828163.jpg

Chickens sometimes just up and die. First one of mine that died when my flock was less than 2 years old I took to the vet. She was sent down to UC Davis, turns out she had ovarian cancer or such.

A few weeks back, El Feo the rooster seemed fine one day. Next day I went out in the afternoon to give them their scratch and he was laying there in the dirt, a little snow stuck on his beak. Good indication he was no longer warm. We'd had flurries off and on that day.

If you're concerned, I'd for sure take them for testing before it wipes the rest out. The messy ass end can be the result of a couple of issues. Some are not good.
Thanks for the feeder suggestion - looks good.

HotRod - PM incoming.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/13/22
Check out coccidiosis online too.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/13/22

Hot peanut oil kills everythang.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/13/22
COCCIDIOSIS would be my top suspect.
I treat mine with Durvet Corid when they come down with it.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/13/22
Coccidiosis
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/13/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is the best auto feeder I’ve used for my flock. I feed the bigger pellets and it would occasionally get clogged up from moisture as well until I trimmed just a little bit off the neck that funnels the feed. Works excellent!
I think they also make an even bigger version that holds maybe 60lbs of feed
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/13/22
Extreme heat can and will take its toll. Cool clean water is very important in hot weather as is a shady area for them. It seems like hot weather exacerbates any issues that might be present. As mentioned coccidiosis is a likely culprit. Good luck and if you get any resolution or diagnosis I hope you update this thread. 👍
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/13/22
What do you gain by testing them?

You then get to kill the rest that are fine?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I tend to agree. I wouldn’t mention a damn word if mine came down with it. Pitch the ones that die in the ditch and carry on. Lol
Many times, I've had a chicken get inexplicably ill, wander around for a few days in a daze, then just wind down and die. Been keeping chickens for 12 years. It hasn't ever been the start of a great die off in my experience. Things go wrong with chickens, just like with people.
Posted By: hanco Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/13/22
It’s damn hot now, stresses everything

Exactly.
I just cleaned out the 5 gal water jug. There was some algae in it. They have plenty of shade and there's a breeze. They have plenty of food. I just gave them a handful of Swiss Chard. All 4 of them seem fine at the moment.

Thanks for all the advice.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/14/22
Have you been choking your chicken?
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/14/22

This exactly ! Even worse is .gov will go around and kill all the chickens within x number of miles regardless if there is any disease. If the government wasn’t so heavy handed most flocks will become immune after an initial die off. We’d have more resistant and robust herds and flocks if the government would be so helpful !
Posted By: blanket Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/14/22
Could be knats, they kill the heck out of chickens
Originally Posted by Daveinjax

This exactly ! Even worse is .gov will go around and kill all the chickens within x number of miles regardless if there is any disease. If the government wasn’t so heavy handed most flocks will become immune after an initial die off. We’d have more resistant and robust herds and flocks if the government wouldn't be so helpful !
This.
Originally Posted by blanket
You mean gnats? How do they kill chickens?
They suffocate them
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/14/22
Originally Posted by blanket
There's tons of flys buzzing around. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Gnats stuff up their noses and sufficate them.
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: Chickens are Dying - 06/14/22
Avian flu has been killing our chicken here in Alaska. JMHO
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/28/22
Another chicken died yesterday. Heat stroke. I tried holding it under cool water (up to the neck) for about 10 minutes and then let her float in the water for an hour or so in an effort to revive her. Then I put her on a pallet in front of the fan. She seemed to perk up a bit and even moved around a little but was dead the next day. That's 3 dead this summer.

They have plenty of fresh water, a fan and a mister, but when it's 108° there's not much that can be done.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/28/22
104F here the other day, they're a little heat stress but have a number of shady places to stay. A couple of the shady places get a squirt with the garden hose to add some cooling moisture.
Yep. Mine also have shade. I also spray down the pine bedding every day.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/28/22
Teenage boy around? They could have been choked.

Bb
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/28/22
How bad was the humidity the day she died?
Posted By: tnscouter Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/28/22

Do some research on your pine bedding. Many thoughts on it being possibly toxic for chickens.

We've had chickens for over 15 years. Only lost 5 or 6 to a random death. We've lost 6 others to predators. We usually buy them from Murray McMurray. We don't get them vaccinated for Coccidiosis, but use medicated feed for the first 16 weeks roughly.

Chickens require very little care. Most people over think it and overdo taking care of them. If one dies just bag it and dispose of it. No need to test it. Most vets have no idea on how to treat or work with chickens. Probably because they have almost no monetary value and aren't worth spending money on them for vet care. Good luck with your chickens and sorry you lost a few. - tnscouter
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/28/22
Is it possible that the chickens committed suicide rather than continue to live under a Social-Democrat regime?
Posted By: EdM Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/28/22
If it was 50 years ago it could have been me. grin

Posted By: stxhunter Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/28/22
pluck em and dumplings.
Posted By: nimblehunter Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/28/22
Like many have said, keep them cool & well watered in this heat. I did have six red Sexlinks & six black Sexlinks to start the year out. Game camera showed two different raccoons got three chicks in the 2'x4' brooder pen at 1 month of age by breaking through the chicken wire after digging under my pole barn sliding door. At 3 months of age and being moved into the large pen, found one dead inside. Next afternoon heard commotion from the chicken pen and ran down to discover a huge black snake wrapped around a half grown hen. Looked like a black basketball. Come to find out, there were two black snakes living in the insulation I had in the ceiling of the chicken house. Last month, I found two partially eaten chickens outside of the chicken pen, raccoons again. They tore through the chicken wire that I had wrapped around the cattle panels that I used for the outdoor run. So, I wound up with five living laying hens, eight dead raccoons, four dead opossums, & three doubly dead black snakes 5 1/2, 6, & 6 1/2 feet respectively. I just purchased six Isa Brown peeps from TSC last week.....Here we go again.
Don't recall the humidity, but it was probably around 38%
Posted By: slumlord Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/28/22
I take their sweaters and jewelry off when it gets above 90
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/29/22
Is there any sign of bright yellow sulfur colored diarrhea? A sure sign of black head disease.

blackhead disease (histomoniasis) is an important poultry disease that affects turkeys, chickens, and game birds such as partridges, pheasants, and quail. The disease is caused by the protozoa Histomonas meleagridis, tiny, single-celled organisms that are spread to the bird by the roundworm Heterakis gallinarum

Chickens are less prone to this parasitical infection than are turkeys, but chickens are susceptible. I have fought it several times when raising turkeys for the freezer.

The best preventative measure to prevent future infections, if this is your problem, seems to be adding massive quantities of cayenne pepper to the feed. As in a cup of cayenne in five gallons of feed. Anecdotally, garlic water and vitamin E are supposed to help also.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/30/22
Neither myself or the yard birds are currently suffering from bright yellow sulfur colored diarrhea, but thank you for asking.

I will keep an eye out.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/30/22
Chickens know to avoid Arbys
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/30/22
Originally Posted by nimblehunter
Like many have said, keep them cool & well watered in this heat. I did have six red Sexlinks & six black Sexlinks to start the year out. Game camera showed two different raccoons got three chicks in the 2'x4' brooder pen at 1 month of age by breaking through the chicken wire after digging under my pole barn sliding door. At 3 months of age and being moved into the large pen, found one dead inside. Next afternoon heard commotion from the chicken pen and ran down to discover a huge black snake wrapped around a half grown hen. Looked like a black basketball. Come to find out, there were two black snakes living in the insulation I had in the ceiling of the chicken house. Last month, I found two partially eaten chickens outside of the chicken pen, raccoons again. They tore through the chicken wire that I had wrapped around the cattle panels that I used for the outdoor run. So, I wound up with five living laying hens, eight dead raccoons, four dead opossums, & three doubly dead black snakes 5 1/2, 6, & 6 1/2 feet respectively. I just purchased six Isa Brown peeps from TSC last week.....Here we go again.

Go get some hardware cloth and replace the chicken wire. More expensive but "usually" will stop the raccoons.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Chickens know to avoid Arbys
Especially the ones in Utah with that nasty fry sauce stuff.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/30/22
We used to mix mayo and catsup in 2nd grade for a double dog dare in school lunch

Get busted by Birtha the cafeteria monitor and have to eat it.

Yall bunch a babies

Guess yall just discovering lowered ‘mini trucks’ now too? 😃🤦🏻
We used to mix mayo and catsup in 2nd grade for a double dog dare in school lunch

Yall bunch a babies

They look best with some dingle balls around the windshield and a set of bull balls hangin' off the, now useless, trailer hitch.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/30/22
You guys choking your chickens again? Poor fuggers..

Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/30/22
Silver laced Wyandotte is the black and white bird... was...
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/30/22

Yall bunch a babies

We still eat that stuff at our house, hamburgers, hot dogs, and especially french fries. Good stuff!
Posted By: Plumdog Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/30/22
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Yall bunch a babies

They look best with some dingle balls around the windshield and a set of bull balls hangin' off the, now useless, trailer hitch.
Around here they just lower the rear, and run with the oxidized finish that comes with salvage yard body panels. Also rip the exhaust off it for better power.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/30/22
If heat related. I use a water bottle and spritz my chickens hourly during the hottest part of day. Chickens open their beak if overheated.....short time it's ok, long time and it can be fatal.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/30/22
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Check out coccidiosis online too.

If it were coccidiosis, the whole flock would be dead.

Chicks or grown laying hens, you gotta keep their rear ends clean.
You can buy antibiotics to put in their water.
I'd start there.
Make sure they have fresh, clean water....EVERY day.

We have a population of redtail hawks here in southern OK that's unbelievable. I had my laying hens in a covered pen.
I never fed "laying" mash or pellets*. Just plain feed. If your chickens are healthy and well fed, they will lay.
I hung one of those 5 gallon game feeders full of scratch grains from the top of their run.
It was set to run twice daily.
Their prepared feed was in a gravity feeder inside their "house", out of the weather.

* - laying "feeds" only provide more calcium to promote shell formation and doesn't really stimulate egg production. I fed crushed oyster shell, free choice. Same principle and gives them "grit" for their crops.
I've been mixing crushed oyster shells into their feed.

I'm not cleaning chicken ass - my brother can do that if he wants - the chickens are his deal. I'm just helping him out when he's out of town for work - which is every other week.

They have clean water, plenty of feed, shade, a fan and a water mister that we turn on during the hottest part of the day.
"... I'm not cleaning chicken ass ..."

But you'll pick up your dog's poop or seine cat turds out of a litter box?

That's why there are so few farmers these days. People like you aren't willing to get their hands dirty.
Posted By: poboy Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/30/22
Sic "em Martin! That High Noon is just no good. grin
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
"... I'm not cleaning chicken ass ..."

But you'll pick up your dog's poop or seine cat turds out of a litter box?

That's why there are so few farmers these days. People like you aren't willing to get their hands dirty.

You don't know what you're talking about and you'd do well to inform yourself before making such an idiotic statement.

To whit:

One of the main reasons there's so few farmers these days is because huge corporations are buying up farms and the average small farmer cannot compete.

Get Bent.
No sir! You put in the time and energy required and you can do quite well with a "truck garden".
I live 3 miles from a family that does quite well..
There again, you gotta be willing to get your hands dirty and work!

Go butt a rubber stump.

Livestock are like 2 year olds.
They depend on you to be certain they have food, water and shelter.
Take care of them and they take care if you!
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/31/22
Warm compresses on a chicks butt to keep the vent from being clogged.
Posted By: Huncho Re: Chickens are Dying - 07/31/22
mix hot pepper with some water and put a few drip in their mouth, Thank me later.
© 24hourcampfire