Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Yep. Mine also have shade. I also spray down the pine bedding every day.

Do some research on your pine bedding. Many thoughts on it being possibly toxic for chickens.

We've had chickens for over 15 years. Only lost 5 or 6 to a random death. We've lost 6 others to predators. We usually buy them from Murray McMurray. We don't get them vaccinated for Coccidiosis, but use medicated feed for the first 16 weeks roughly.

Chickens require very little care. Most people over think it and overdo taking care of them. If one dies just bag it and dispose of it. No need to test it. Most vets have no idea on how to treat or work with chickens. Probably because they have almost no monetary value and aren't worth spending money on them for vet care. Good luck with your chickens and sorry you lost a few. - tnscouter

GB4

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Is it possible that the chickens committed suicide rather than continue to live under a Social-Democrat regime?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
If it was 50 years ago it could have been me. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
pluck em and dumplings.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Like many have said, keep them cool & well watered in this heat. I did have six red Sexlinks & six black Sexlinks to start the year out. Game camera showed two different raccoons got three chicks in the 2'x4' brooder pen at 1 month of age by breaking through the chicken wire after digging under my pole barn sliding door. At 3 months of age and being moved into the large pen, found one dead inside. Next afternoon heard commotion from the chicken pen and ran down to discover a huge black snake wrapped around a half grown hen. Looked like a black basketball. Come to find out, there were two black snakes living in the insulation I had in the ceiling of the chicken house. Last month, I found two partially eaten chickens outside of the chicken pen, raccoons again. They tore through the chicken wire that I had wrapped around the cattle panels that I used for the outdoor run. So, I wound up with five living laying hens, eight dead raccoons, four dead opossums, & three doubly dead black snakes 5 1/2, 6, & 6 1/2 feet respectively. I just purchased six Isa Brown peeps from TSC last week.....Here we go again.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Don't recall the humidity, but it was probably around 38%

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I take their sweaters and jewelry off when it gets above 90

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Is there any sign of bright yellow sulfur colored diarrhea? A sure sign of black head disease.

blackhead disease (histomoniasis) is an important poultry disease that affects turkeys, chickens, and game birds such as partridges, pheasants, and quail. The disease is caused by the protozoa Histomonas meleagridis, tiny, single-celled organisms that are spread to the bird by the roundworm Heterakis gallinarum

Chickens are less prone to this parasitical infection than are turkeys, but chickens are susceptible. I have fought it several times when raising turkeys for the freezer.

The best preventative measure to prevent future infections, if this is your problem, seems to be adding massive quantities of cayenne pepper to the feed. As in a cup of cayenne in five gallons of feed. Anecdotally, garlic water and vitamin E are supposed to help also.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Neither myself or the yard birds are currently suffering from bright yellow sulfur colored diarrhea, but thank you for asking.

I will keep an eye out.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Chickens know to avoid Arbys

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nimblehunter
Like many have said, keep them cool & well watered in this heat. I did have six red Sexlinks & six black Sexlinks to start the year out. Game camera showed two different raccoons got three chicks in the 2'x4' brooder pen at 1 month of age by breaking through the chicken wire after digging under my pole barn sliding door. At 3 months of age and being moved into the large pen, found one dead inside. Next afternoon heard commotion from the chicken pen and ran down to discover a huge black snake wrapped around a half grown hen. Looked like a black basketball. Come to find out, there were two black snakes living in the insulation I had in the ceiling of the chicken house. Last month, I found two partially eaten chickens outside of the chicken pen, raccoons again. They tore through the chicken wire that I had wrapped around the cattle panels that I used for the outdoor run. So, I wound up with five living laying hens, eight dead raccoons, four dead opossums, & three doubly dead black snakes 5 1/2, 6, & 6 1/2 feet respectively. I just purchased six Isa Brown peeps from TSC last week.....Here we go again.

Go get some hardware cloth and replace the chicken wire. More expensive but "usually" will stop the raccoons.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Chickens know to avoid Arbys
Especially the ones in Utah with that nasty fry sauce stuff.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We used to mix mayo and catsup in 2nd grade for a double dog dare in school lunch

Get busted by Birtha the cafeteria monitor and have to eat it.

Yall bunch a babies

Guess yall just discovering lowered ‘mini trucks’ now too? 😃🤦🏻

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We used to mix mayo and catsup in 2nd grade for a double dog dare in school lunch

Yall bunch a babies

They look best with some dingle balls around the windshield and a set of bull balls hangin' off the, now useless, trailer hitch.

In it is contentment

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You guys choking your chickens again? Poor fuggers..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Silver laced Wyandotte is the black and white bird... was...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yall bunch a babies

We still eat that stuff at our house, hamburgers, hot dogs, and especially french fries. Good stuff!

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Yall bunch a babies

They look best with some dingle balls around the windshield and a set of bull balls hangin' off the, now useless, trailer hitch.
Around here they just lower the rear, and run with the oxidized finish that comes with salvage yard body panels. Also rip the exhaust off it for better power.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If heat related. I use a water bottle and spritz my chickens hourly during the hottest part of day. Chickens open their beak if overheated.....short time it's ok, long time and it can be fatal.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (160user, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 67 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,905
Posts18,479,395
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.