Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wonder if anyone has an answer regarding the death of 2 of our chickens. One Rhode Island Red and the other a black and white (forget the breed). Just up and died, not predator related. Could it be Avian Flu or could it be the heat? They have plenty of shade and water.

The black & white that died was acting funny yesterday - sitting on the eggs all day, which she had never done before.

The Rhode Island Red had crap stuck all over her backside and wasn't laying before she died.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Also, anyone have an idea for an 'automatic' chicken feeder. The one my brother built doesn't flow all that well and get's clogged with any moisture when it rains:

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/13/22.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB4

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Get them tested.....NOW!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll have my brother get them tested when he gets back from S. TX on Thurs.

I didn't think Avian Flu was in TX at the moment.

Should we not eat the eggs?

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ONCE AGAIN "GET THEM TESTED NOW" DOES NOT MEAN WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking into it now.

- Del Gue
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
PM or email me for some sketches of a gravity fed barrel-style "turkey feeder" we use to keep deer and other varmints out of the cracked corn we use to supplement winter food for the ones we hunt. With a little design tweaking, it would work well for chickens.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon

It's in Erath county.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/data-map-commercial.html

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I spoke to the Veterinarian at the Texas Animal Health Commission and he does not think it's Avian Flu based on my answers to his questions. He thinks it could be any number of things like the extreme heat or a bacterial issue, but not Avian Flu. He suggested getting a small square of alfalfa for them to peck and some oyster shells as a calcium supplement. Brother feeds them Layers scratch pellets. Also need to provide plenty of clean water. The water jug he has hooked up has some algae in it. He said clean bedding is not critical.

Also we have not been in contact with any other poultry and brother has raised them from chick-sized.

- Del Gue
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Meh. Bird flu shmird flu.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
West Nile can cause it, also, and it's everywhere now. It's decimating wild gallinaceous fowl out west.

Get them tested yesterday!

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Vet said I don't need to get them tested at the moment and to call him back if any more die. I think they'll send someone out if they suspect Avian Flu to do the testing. He said that if it was Avian Flu they'd all be dead by now since the first Rhode Island Red died almost 10 days ago. He also said the only way to figure out what kilt them is to perform a series of very expensive tests.

- Del Gue
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This one works well for me. Think it will hold 25lbs or so. I usually only put in a couple pounds unless I'm away from the house for a few days.

https://products.blains.com/600/82/828163.jpg

Chickens sometimes just up and die. First one of mine that died when my flock was less than 2 years old I took to the vet. She was sent down to UC Davis, turns out she had ovarian cancer or such.

A few weeks back, El Feo the rooster seemed fine one day. Next day I went out in the afternoon to give them their scratch and he was laying there in the dirt, a little snow stuck on his beak. Good indication he was no longer warm. We'd had flurries off and on that day.

If you're concerned, I'd for sure take them for testing before it wipes the rest out. The messy ass end can be the result of a couple of issues. Some are not good.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the feeder suggestion - looks good.

HotRod - PM incoming.

- Del Gue
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Check out coccidiosis online too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Hot peanut oil kills everythang.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
COCCIDIOSIS would be my top suspect.
I treat mine with Durvet Corid when they come down with it.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is the best auto feeder I’ve used for my flock. I feed the bigger pellets and it would occasionally get clogged up from moisture as well until I trimmed just a little bit off the neck that funnels the feed. Works excellent!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think they also make an even bigger version that holds maybe 60lbs of feed

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Extreme heat can and will take its toll. Cool clean water is very important in hot weather as is a shady area for them. It seems like hot weather exacerbates any issues that might be present. As mentioned coccidiosis is a likely culprit. Good luck and if you get any resolution or diagnosis I hope you update this thread. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 160user, 12savage, 12344mag, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,909
Posts18,479,473
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.