Home
Remember when they were all the rage? It seems that fad died out. What was the reason for that fad fading?

What are some other fads that waned? Muzzle brakes?
Uhhhh…
I shot the Winchester Fail-safe in my 300 H&H...very accurate
Never used a brake but have had a couple of rifles Magna Ported
I’m guessing moly bullets faded cause the cost out weighed the advantage of them, if there was an advantage I never used them.
Muzzle brakes?
Proven useful tool where needed ....
Laser rangefinding rifle scopes? Haven't seen a new one of those in quite a while.
Muzzle brakes are useful in shooting precision long range. A friend of mine casts, lubes, gas checks and moly coats bullets for suppressed subsonic hunting. They work pretty good on pigs.
Dial-a-duck, recoil reducing cannisters, shark fin front sights, beech wood stocks stained with weak tea, trigger levers to reduce pull, anything bored old men did to shotguns in the 50s, 60s, 70s.

What I hope goes away is, plastic pieces of triggers and bottom "metal" that should be steel, ugly colors of cerakote, mold lines in synthetic stocks, threaded muzzles on Fudd guns, bolt handles that look like marital aids, and trigger gimmicks instead of making a quality part to begin with.
Damaging the guns value putting white diamonds in the stock or a recoil pad on it,,
Cutting slots in the barrel so it blasts anyone nearby at the range or your own self on a handgun,
There is always some genius idea coming along.
Originally Posted by Boomer454
Laser rangefinding rifle scopes? Haven't seen a new one of those in quite a while.

You ought to check out the Swaro Ds ..
I'm one of the dinosaurs that still uses moly in a few of my rifles.

My Tikka M695 in 270Win has been fed a diet of molyed 130gn TSX's exclusively since new. Round count is just short of 800 so far, with dry brushing using a nylon brush occasionally. Still shoots sub-moa. I'm kind of waiting for accuracy to degrade before doing a traditional clean, but so far so good.
Originally Posted by gsganzer
Remember when they were all the rage? It seems that fad died out. What was the reason for that fad fading?

Really obstinate moly fouling at the throat, raising pressures.
wood & blue

whistle laugh
Man sheeit

I still got Remington Bronze Points to load up
Here's a real turd.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Cutts Compensator, Poly Choke?
Leupold scopes and .270's
I never found an advantage to moly bullets but shot a lot of them through varmint guns because I got a hell of a deal on thousands of them, they shot just like uncoated bullets. Only thing I found that cleaned that [bleep] up well was Kroil Oil though. It seemed to get all of the moly out or at least loosened up enough to clean a barrel thoroughly
Apparently stainless steel/synthetic stocked bolt action rifles aren't being made as in the past. When is the last time you saw them on the rack at the local gun store?
The last time I walked into Sportsmans Warehouse.
Lots of Tikkas in SS and synthetic.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Here's a real turd.

They have worked for me.
Percussion caps
Originally Posted by Ole_270
I had an Uncle that had a cutts compensator on a model 12 16 gauge. I haven't seen a new Browning or Winchester with a boss on it for awhile. I guess the moly fad faded when it really didn't increase barrel life, didn't stop copper build up, was messy. From what I heard the benchrest crowd thought that the bullets separated from the cores during the tumbling process of coating the bullets. That's what I heard anyway. Years ago a lube was sold to put on the bullets, I think it was called lubealoy or lubealox. That went by the wayside also. The one that I couldn't figure out was the scope with the bell on it so large that there was a groove in it, to sit over the barrel.
AR’s with drive shaft sized barrels.
Originally Posted by plumbum
Here's a real turd.

They have worked for me.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Percussion caps

Reactionary old fart!

Flints!!

Match locks were the shizzle!
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Percussion caps

Reactionary old fart!

Flints!!

Match locks were the shizzle!

🤣🤣🤣
Originally Posted by Jim270
I had an Uncle that had a cutts compensator on a model 12 16 gauge. I haven't seen a new Browning or Winchester with a boss on it for awhile. I guess the moly fad faded when it really didn't increase barrel life, didn't stop copper build up, was messy. From what I heard the benchrest crowd thought that the bullets separated from the cores during the tumbling process of coating the bullets. That's what I heard anyway. Years ago a lube was sold to put on the bullets, I think it was called lubealoy or lubealox. That went by the wayside also. The one that I couldn't figure out was the scope with the bell on it so large that there was a groove in it, to sit over the barrel.
Nosler is still using lubalox on their Combined Tech line of bullets. Far from moly.
Contenders and other Handrifles.

10/22s

Compensated semi-auto handguns.

Single shot rifles, several times. And not counting pre-1880s.

Double rifles, also several times.
I can take or leave moly coated, with that said I got a reasonable deal the other day on some moly coated Noslers. I can’t tell the difference CE other than one is black.
Powder coated bullets keep the bore clean.

Moly coated, my limited, use kept bore cleaner....somewhat.
Moly is corrosive so needs complete cleaning after shooting. I use HbN which is non corrosive and has helped reduce extreme spread and I go twice as far between needed cleaning.
I have a 870 Mag barrel with a polychoke, it was great when lead shot was legal for ducks
These... sick

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Winslow+Custom+Rifles&t=brave&iax=images&ia=images
Cryogenically treated rifle barrels 🤪🤪🤪
Percussion caps
You need to get with some more modern stuff like the 30-06.
I remember magazine ads for a sighting device for shotguns It was, IIRC, mounted out near the muzzle and featured two (what looked like) wire hoops, one out over each side of the barrel. The idea was, when swinging on a bird, you kept it visible through the circle on the side of the barrel the bird was coming from to ensure you were leading it.
Here's a real turd.

They have worked for me.

I got one on a .308. Bought it because I got it cheap.
Evil Black Cop Killer Bullets.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
I use moly on most everything and have been for years
Originally Posted by roverboy
Here's a real turd.

They have worked for me.

They are fantastic if you are patient.
Hick's Accurizer for the Ruger #1.

I put one on my #1B in 7mm STW. It worked as advertised. I was able to dial a four MOA gun into a one MOA elk killer.

But one does not hear much about them anymore.
the BOSS on Browning and Winchester rifles. I believe they worked but still faded away.
Originally Posted by 1911a1
the BOSS on Browning and Winchester rifles. I believe they worked but still faded away.

They worked, but still sucked...
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by roverboy
Here's a real turd.

They have worked for me.

They are fantastic if you are patient.

How's that cough silencer working out?
Here's a real turd.

They have worked for me.

Work great on my 700 mountain rifle
Here's a real turd.

Isn't that a pic of the infamous campfire kok ring?
Savage Strikers, Black Talon bullets, and the worst temporary firearm fad…those horrid, puke orange stocked chinese sks surplus rifles. 🤮🤮🤮 Told a buddy that bought one to buy a red reflector and screw it into the stock, then drive the barrel into the ground at the end of his driveway!

Doc_Holidude
Trigger shoes...
Originally Posted by DBT
Trigger shoes...
Still like em
first focal plane scopes
Mercury recoil reducers? Seems like I only see them in Weatherby 378s/etc from the 80s.
223 AI. Steve Timm sold me on that 26 tears ago.
Having shot a bazillion molly coated bullets during my F Class days, coated bullets helped keep velocity SD's more consistent throughout a shoot - at least for me. Other than that, I wouldn't bother for any other application.

Same goes for breaks. Outside of competition shooting, just say NO.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
first focal plane scopes

You can keep those and moly coated bullets. I have no use for either.
Originally Posted by slm9s
Mercury recoil reducers? Seems like I only see them in Weatherby 378s/etc from the 80s.

I've got one in my 7-08 AI. I'm not sure how much difference it makes to the recoil, apart from adding weight to the rifle.
Here's a real turd.

this really helped a few rifles i had,looked like chit on them.
See thru scope rings...
Brought my first plastic gun in 1986.

For years people taunted me that the plastic would melt or break... or catch on fire.

Not sure, but I think they might have been mistaken... and I think this Glock company eventually succeed in business.
Flip down scope mounts
What about blue boys

Barnes XLC coated missiles?
I use moly in my 7-08 NBD.

The Butt Out tool seems to be out of favor these days. Old school Treebark camp too. As a kid I had no money - would buy cheap grey sweatpants and hit them with some back Krylon in random vertical patterns. Worked well and easy to layer.
I wait patiently for AR and Glock platforms to fade into history.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I wait patiently for AR and Glock platforms to fade into history.

You might not make it Dan whistle
Have used moly in some rifles ever since it came on the scene. I am able to get higher velocities, can shoot more rounds before cleaning. In our dry climate no issues with moisture some have reported.

Dave Miller said moly produces a more consistent bullet release. Thinking it would prevent cold weld between case neck and bullet.
Barrel clamp sling swivels... used to see a ton of them, not so much anymore.
Stickers and naming a rifle with finger paint..
Not a fad, just superseded by a non-fouling uncoated version.
Originally Posted by Teal
The Butt Out tool seems to be out of favor these days.

Didn't work for me. I found it just as easy to do it the old-fashioned way.
Remington EtronX: Electrically Primed Ammunition

Salt cured stocks
Originally Posted by Angus1895
What about blue boys

Barnes XLC coated missiles?

Loved them…shot my biggest bull and mulie buck with the 140 grain xlc’s out of my Ruger #1 7STW back in 2013. Still have a few loaded ones left. They shot pretty good in the STW and my 77 .280, and when I loaded some in nickel plated .280 Rem cases, they LOOKED sooo pretty!

Attached picture 7B6315E2-C3CB-4FF1-8F84-7507E82ED1C9.jpeg
Attached picture 36F7ACCF-36C5-4FDB-B339-A7267E4A6E67.jpeg
I am glad to see the pervasive abuse of "run" slowly fading from our lexicon.

Glad the use of slotted screws on scope mounts is fading.

Burnt bronze Cerakote can't go to hell soon enough.
They were so short lived I'm not even sure you could call those electronic ignition Remingtons a fad... they were pretty much DOA.
Is naming a rifle ok, as long as it’s not finger painted on it? I’m guilty of naming quite a few, but never put it on em anywhere. 7STW in my last post is “ Stewie”. LOL
Moly, about as useful as any cartridge with the suffix "AI"...
Stickers on stocks and colored tape on scopes...........never a fad, always been stupid.
Originally Posted by centershot
Stickers on stocks and colored tape on scopes...........never a fad, always been stupid.

Uhhh, no...super cool.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
People who claim "XXX rifle from Remington is collectable because they only made 300k of them that were sold by Buds over 15 years"
I still have a bunch of “ blue boys”!

Using them in my 3006 makes telling them from my 8 x57 easier
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Uhhh, no...super cool.

Nice floor.
Compass in the buttstock. If you set the rifle on a perfectly flat surface you could almost differentiate between North and West.
Huge Monte Carlo rollover cheekpieces. I dont think Weatherby even uses them anymore.

Wundhammer palm swells.
Originally Posted by auk1124

As I understand, the original plan at WW was to name this bullet "Black Widow," but somebody in the marketing department said, "Uhhhh....."
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

You must've been reading my mind. This laughable gimmick gets my vote.
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

You must've been reading my mind. This laughable gimmick gets my vote.

I only saw one in the wild. Back before Gander Mountain went TU. Pretty sure it was that - I remember my dad sorta looking at it. Got a Coyote M70 in 22-250 instead.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Whoa! Haven't heard that one for years. Actually fell for that one years ago. Pretty nice Sako rifle that shot like a scattergun :):)
Originally Posted by cuznguido
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Whoa! Haven't heard that one for years. Actually fell for that one years ago. Pretty nice Sako rifle that shot like a scattergun :):)

Does Krieger still do that to all their blanks? I know they used to.
Creedmoor........ will be right there with the WSM, WSSM, RUM and BOSS crowd
Trounds
Gyro Jet
triangular rifle barrels
Originally Posted by mauserfan
Creedmoor........ will be right there with the WSM, WSSM, RUM and BOSS crowd
Creedmoor is here to stay.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by centershot

Uhhh, no...super cool.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That is almost a Stick post, fish, rifle, ammo, fishing rod. Other than it is not soaking in a creek bed.
Wood stocks.
Chrome Raven .25 in a Crown Royal bag.
Originally Posted by cv540
Chrome Raven .25 in a Crown Royal bag.
Come on,man. Some things never go out of style.
Saboted rifle bullets. In theory you can get much higher velocities. Remington marketed saboted .22s in 30-06 and 30-30. Somehow the idea failed in the implementation.
I still use moly. For me it's easy. I had an industrial accident, spilled maybe a teaspoon of water into my plating tumbler drum unaware I'd done so. What a mess. But, after I retumbled the bullets in a dry spare drum with some sacrifice shop rags, they were the shiniest, slickest things ever. No neck welding EVAH.
Shortly after, Mic McPherson wrote of his similar discovery, more deliberate. But since then, I've tumbled bullets with a pinch of moly and a sneeze of water. It's usually pretty dry where I live, if I don't shoot or don't plan on it for a while, I'll dampen a patch with Kroil or even just good old 9 and that takes care of any rust fuzzing. Did have that once.
I've got a bunch of good loads, a bunch of good rifles that shoot fine and clean easy, so I guess it works for me.

TROUNDS! Oh yeah. Them.
Site-Pro crosshair illuminator. I fell for it, piece of sh*t....
[Linked Image from image.sportsmansguide.com]

What I carry in my Delta Elite/Wilson custom shop. The county I used to live in had the distinction of having the very first fatality with LEO’s using Black Talons. My friend was our sheriff. Winchester contacted him and requested information and a copy of the post mortem x-Ray of the bad guy…telling my friend they were the first….

It was a domestic situation with a husband threatening to cut his wife’s throat with a butcher knife. He was told to drop the knife and refused to do so. He moved the blade against her throat like he was going to slice her in two and the deputy shot him in the side of the head, obviously dropping him in an instant.

I got to see the X-Ray. It showed a beautiful typically expanded Black Talon lodged on the other side of the perps thick skull. Just like in the advertisements. Sad way for our little county to make history, but thank God the Deputy was a good shot.
Blue Tape and SWFA scopes
i remember back in the 80s seeing Quik Point scopes that looked like a test tube
Originally Posted by Jericho
i remember back in the 80s seeing Quik Point scopes that looked like a test tube

I vividly remember the ads for those with Slim Pickens. Oh how I miss those days. The gun/hunting magazines were fabulous. Not an AR in sight, unless it was in Soldier Of Fortune.
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
I shot the Winchester Fail-safe in my 300 H&H...very accurate
Never used a brake but have had a couple of rifles Magna Ported
Winchester Fail-Safes, renamed because Chucky Schumer got his panties all bunched up when they were called Winchester Black Talons....you know, Chuckie's "Cop Killer" bullets.
I wish they’d start making gun chaps, again..
Godogs57,

I’m glad the Black Talon bullet worked on that bad guy for sure, but as devil’s advocate here, unprotected, unarmored head shots are almost always game changers, if not fight stoppers, with most mid to heavier bullets. I’m glad they work for you also. For what it’s worth(maybe nothing) I did testing way back when the Black Talons came out, with 10% ballistic gelatin, wet newspaper, half frozen freezer burnt turkey, milk jugs full of water lined up, etc, etc. While most of the 10 mm/.40 s&w bullets performances were in the pretty desirable to acceptable, there were some that under performed, and I decided against using them. The Black Talons were quite disappointing, and even more so when I placed a piece of denim in front of the medium. They plugged and didn’t expand, and the simulated wound channel damage was quite minimal. The little denim disc I pulled out was neat though. I had great performance with Nosler JHP’s hot rodded to near Cor-Bon velocity, denim or no denim, with a honorable mention to PMC Starfires, Federal Hydra Shoks, and Rem Golden Sabres. This being said, I wouldn’t want to catch any of them! Not second guessing you sir, or trying to stir the old crap pot, just sharing my experience with the Black Talons. Happy Shooting! 😎

Doc_Holidude
morons who leave the Savage sticker on their new POS rifle
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Originally Posted by Jericho

I vividly remember the ads for those with Slim Pickens. Oh how I miss those days. The gun/hunting magazines were fabulous. Not an AR in sight, unless it was in Soldier Of Fortune.

Not an AR in sight because there was only one....Colt
And they were $3k in the 80's
Originally Posted by Swamplord

Same guys.

[Linked Image from supdec.com]
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
Godogs57,

I’m glad the Black Talon bullet worked on that bad guy for sure, but as devil’s advocate here, unprotected, unarmored head shots are almost always game changers, if not fight stoppers, with most mid to heavier bullets. I’m glad they work for you also. For what it’s worth(maybe nothing) I did testing way back when the Black Talons came out, with 10% ballistic gelatin, wet newspaper, half frozen freezer burnt turkey, milk jugs full of water lined up, etc, etc. While most of the 10 mm/.40 s&w bullets performances were in the pretty desirable to acceptable, there were some that under performed, and I decided against using them. The Black Talons were quite disappointing, and even more so when I placed a piece of denim in front of the medium. They plugged and didn’t expand, and the simulated wound channel damage was quite minimal. The little denim disc I pulled out was neat though. I had great performance with Nosler JHP’s hot rodded to near Cor-Bon velocity, denim or no denim, with a honorable mention to PMC Starfires, Federal Hydra Shoks, and Rem Golden Sabres. This being said, I wouldn’t want to catch any of them! Not second guessing you sir, or trying to stir the old crap pot, just sharing my experience with the Black Talons. Happy Shooting! 😎

Doc_Holidude

Agree with you…a 22 LR to the skull would produce the same results. I’ve killed deer with Black Talons and Golden Sabres, both working extremely well. I remember the PMC Starfires! Gosh they made a wicked looking bullet when expanded.

Same guys.

Don't forget the guys with the Browning stickers. Or the "Salt Life" sticker in Nebraska

Same guys.

Don't forget the guys with the Browning stickers. Or the "Salt Life" sticker in Nebraska

Let us not forget the moronic hanging bull scrotum nor the Calvin peeing stickers. (Not quite sure how we got here.)

Same guys.

How in the hayul could you fergit Yeti stickers?
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Same guys.

How in the hayul could you fergit Yeti stickers?

I honestly don't see them all that much.

It's really the top 2 - Browning and Salt Life - then the diesel engine of choice
Dang every country boy here has at least one, usually three, Yeti stickers on his truck.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Dang every country boy here has at least one, usually three, Yeti stickers on his truck.

Yeti coolers are a rednecks Rolex. Neither do anything a lesser priced alternative doesn't already do. They're just to show off to your friends.
Drum magazines do not impress me at all
My 280 JDJ shot the Combined Technology moly coated 160 PT’s into bug holes. It was the ONLY Partition that I ever got to shoot accurately in any of my guns, and, don’t think I didn’t try.
White liners between butt and pistol grip caps, high gloss stock finish.
endless lapping of scope rings
Originally Posted by Stray

What does this mean?
now Im seeing Top Gun stickers in car windows all of a sudden.......
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by Stray

What does this mean?

People being convinced that they could achieve any degree of precision by sanding rings by hand and ending up taking so much metal off that the rings would bottom out and no longer secure a scope.
© 24hourcampfire