Home
Posted By: Judman Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 06/19/22
Commander picked this one up at Costco Friday, very nice. Dunno if you got a Costco where your at, but it’s worth a try. 👊🏻

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Thanks for the tip. I'm always looking for a deal with liquor prices these days.
Posted By: hanco Re: Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 06/19/22
Bourbon and jack is 6 bucks a pop in dancehalls now
I'm still drunk from yesterday. Fugg .
Posted By: Judman Re: Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 06/19/22
Ya we’ll you see how full that bottle is!! 😂😂🤦‍♂️
Originally Posted by Judman
Ya we’ll you see how full that bottle is!! 😂😂🤦‍♂️

Hopefully had more in the bottle when you walked out of Costco
dude your thumb hole is open...
Got a bottle of Jim Beam Vanilla for Father's Day today.
$22 at Walgreens. Good stuff.

I'd be i. But there's no Costco anywhere near here.

My two favorite, economical summer bourbons..........

$20 and $24 respectively.....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Posted By: Judman Re: Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 06/20/22
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

Yep good stuff shaun.👍
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Both good, 4 roses has some great offerings.

That, they do.

I prefer a lower proof on a hot day. More heat on a cooler day. Been working a bottle of 4R Small Batch down the last couple of days.

Only tried on bottle of Larceny. To me, it was an awfully hot swallow for 92 proof.
Posted By: EdM Re: Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 06/20/22
I have read good things about Costco booze. Unfortunately Texas doesn't allow its sale and Idaho liquor is state run so no go.
Originally Posted by gunswizard

You have my condolences.
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by gunswizard

You have my condolences.

X2
Posted By: WAM Re: Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 06/20/22
Headache material for sure…

I tried it....

Mine tasted like a musty, moldy old root cellar
Posted By: CRS Re: Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 06/20/22
Judman, Thanks for the heads up. Will see if they have it the next time I am in Billings Costco.

I like Larceny, 4 Roses, and most variations from Wild Turkey. Will pass on most anything Jim Beam, do not prefer it.

Had some Blanton's last night and Old Forester bonded tonight. While son sipped some JD barrel proof and friends went with fresh squeezed Gentleman Jack Boston sours.

Steaks and asparagus on the grill, fresh watermelon and homemade steak fries. Was a good night. grin
Originally Posted by tedthorn

I tried it....

I must have got some out of the same barrel. Never intend to try it again with all the proven qualily bourbon available.
Mmmmmm….Bourbon!

Doc_Holidude
Ya gotta let that Larceny breathe a little. Neck pours are a bit hairy, but give it a bit of open time, cork it back up and re-visit it in a month or so. Should take a bit of the harshness away. 😎
Posted By: WAM Re: Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 06/20/22
Maybe Larceny changed its name from our teenage favorite , Old Tennis Shoe!
Originally Posted by WAM
Maybe Larceny changed its name from our teenage favorite , Old Tennis Shoe!

think Jim Beam used that Old Tennis Shoe recipe for their Old Tub…which might be what it was aged in!
yuck!
Jud…you’ve stumbled upon a helluva good drink for the price. To say we are fans down here would be accurate…
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]photo upload online
Make damn sure you keep your eyes peeled for the bottled in bond offering of same (green label) it is phenomenal!
Black label (single barrel) is the third and final of that run Kirkland did and it’ll kick some a$$…120 proof and not mild on the flavor..
Hell ya cert.👍

Ill keep a eye out for the green.
Anybody ever drove up I65 North through Ky.? There's distilleries all up that way. Everything from cheap rotgut to pretty good stuff. Not to mention some beautiful horse farms.
Posted By: Judman Re: Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 06/21/22
Originally Posted by roverboy
Anybody ever drove up I65 North through Ky.? There's distilleries all up that way. Everything from cheap rotgut to pretty good stuff. Not to mention some beautiful horse farms.

No but it’s a bucket list. 👊🏻
Posted By: Waders Re: Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 06/21/22
Judman,

Did you get it at Costco in Tumwater? How much was it?
Wade, she got it at the Lacey Costco, it was under $30.

We need to have a drink sometime. 👊🏻
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Originally Posted by tedthorn

I tried it....

I must have got some out of the same barrel. Never intend to try it again with all the proven qualily bourbon available.
Same way I feel about Buffalo Trace. Kind of like Jack Daniel's, rotten for sure.
Really Brian? Love BT..
Posted By: kappa8 Re: Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 06/21/22

Larceny is an excellent wheated bourbon! Unfortunate some had bad sensory experience. YMMV is real.
Really Brian? Love BT..
Tried 1 jug. Enough for me. Maybe a bad batch, maybe needed aired out?? Dunno.

I would try it again if somebody had an open handle but I ain't spending no more on it.
Need to try some of this.

https://holladaybourbon.com/history/

20+ years ago we were drinking a Holladay bourbon but not sure this is the same but is made at the same place.

They quit making it several years ago.

Just picked up a bottle of Four Roses small batch, Friday, to replace the Elijah Craig, that died last night !

Time will tell ?
Picked up a bottle of EC Friday when the weather turned, enjoyed it all weekend.

BT did nothing for me either.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 06/21/22
My go to is the kickin' chickin, Wild Turkey 101
I just had a great idea…all the BT haters please stop buying it, so we can get some here in rural PA! LOL

Jud, Yoder, I’m with you fellers…love BT. 2nd favorite pour behind Stagg Jr.

Doc_Holidude
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
I just had a great idea…all the BT haters please stop buying it, so we can get some here in rural PA! LOL

Doc_Holidude

Local store here[.gov operated] has a line every time BT arrives.

I wouldn't use "hate" so much as "others preferred"
well dang, if you’re that close to the Bourbon Trail and there’s a line for BT there, ain’t no wonder we can’t get it up here. Between demand and distribution corruption, we are skeeerewed!
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 06/21/22
Everyone's mileage will vary. For example, I was excited to find a bottle of Larceny on the shelf, and was underwhelmed at the contents. That will happen with some from time to time. Nothing worth pouring out, but not worth picking up another bottle either.

I also find that neck pours, esp from higher proofs are not the be all, end all of the bottle, and generally try to let bottles sit after that. I have a barrel pick KC single barrel 120 proof from Timmons in Rapid City opened and sitting now and I'm thinking it should be about to reveal itself in 30 days or so.

I participated in a barrel pick of Buffalo Trace at my local liquor store last year. The distillery sent out three samples. One was ghastly (honestly a drain pour), one was unbelievably good, and one was so/so. We of course picked B and it arrived in bottles about the first of the year. It was just as fantastic then as it was in May. Better than the Col Taylor I had open at the time. Just fantastic. So yes, Buffalo Trace can vary from bottle to bottle.

For what its worth.
Here it is.

20+ years ago we really liked this. Not sure if they are making it at the remodeled facility or not.

Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Just picked up a bottle of Four Roses small batch, Friday, to replace the Elijah Craig, that died last night !

Time will tell ?

You just replaced a solid pour with a solid pour !!!

You done GOOD !!!
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude

Doc_Holidude

That's a stellar idea !!!!

I've not had a bad bottle of Buffalo Trace, yet. My favorite, though, is probably Eagle Rare.

What's the problem with taking a liking to a single barrel is that the next bottle is never guaranteed to be like the last. I'm a big Four Roses fan. Tried a bottle of 4R Single Barrel.................it sucked............alcohol forward on the nose and palate. Like rubbing alcohol.

The YMMV is a thing. Personal preferences vary. Batches of hooch with the same label vary.
Was at a restaurant[Tappas] a couple of weeks ago.
Another couple took us as a gift.

Bud said lets try some stuff!

I had 4 total pours, he had 5.
That and a couple of glasses of wine for the wimmens put our bar tab just north of $200

I would have been fine back at the house with my JB Devil's Cut or Elijah Craig

It was comical when he ordered a pour of Blantons.....on ice.
The owner just looked at him while shaking his head-NO
Nothing wrong with Devils Cut.
Wade, she got it at the Lacey Costco, it was under $30.

We need to have a drink sometime. 👊🏻

Snagged a bottle today, 18.99, Eureka Costco.
Posted By: Deans Re: Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 06/22/22

Couldn't resist.
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Everyone's mileage will vary. For example, I was excited to find a bottle of Larceny on the shelf, and was underwhelmed at the contents. That will happen with some from time to time. Nothing worth pouring out, but not worth picking up another bottle either.

I also find that neck pours, esp from higher proofs are not the be all, end all of the bottle, and generally try to let bottles sit after that. I have a barrel pick KC single barrel 120 proof from Timmons in Rapid City opened and sitting now and I'm thinking it should be about to reveal itself in 30 days or so.

I participated in a barrel pick of Buffalo Trace at my local liquor store last year. The distillery sent out three samples. One was ghastly (honestly a drain pour), one was unbelievably good, and one was so/so. We of course picked B and it arrived in bottles about the first of the year. It was just as fantastic then as it was in May. Better than the Col Taylor I had open at the time. Just fantastic. So yes, Buffalo Trace can vary from bottle to bottle.

For what its worth.

Better than E H Taylor is a pretty high bar, that had to be good! Only ever had small batch which I thought was very good. Had my grubby paws on a bottle of single barrel a few years ago, priced at $54…said I’ll swing by and get it tomorrow. GONE the next day! Would love to get a four grains bottle as well!

I guess I’ve been pretty lucky with BT and 4R single barrel…never had a bad bottle of either.

First genie bottle of Willets Pot Still reserve I ever bought had an atrocious neck pour, but aired out it got better, and while it’s not a top 5 pour for me, it’s like that kinda cute but geeky chick that hangs around all the parties, it gets hit on now and then.

Doc_Holidude
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It'll work !
Just don't post any fried/grilled walleye next to that bottle and all will be forgiven. wink
Originally Posted by Raeford
Just don't post any fried/grilled walleye next to that bottle and all will be forgiven. wink

X2 !!!!

That would just be dirty pool and otherwise downright ignernt. grin
Indeed!
I got sick on Hiriam Walker Ten High on New Years 1964.

It a while before I, "got back on that horse".

laugh
Posted By: CRS Re: Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 06/22/22
I am one that must have gotten a bad bottle of BT, do not plan on buying another.

Opened up a bottle of Wyoming Whiskey Bourbon last night. It was horrible when it first came out, but had read some reviews that it was better.

They are correct, it is better, still not good. Can not advise anyone to spend money on a bottle. Relegated to mixer status on the shelf.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 06/22/22
Ha funny. Good info. Do you shop at the Timmons Markets in Rapid? I was super impressed with the shelves there.

I have not tried Colorado or Wyoming bourbon yet, I've had a couple of HighWest bottles tho. Fine, but I did not think it premium juice. I guess I have a Bourye sitting here unopened. I'd like to try that Midwinter night's dram sometime but never seen it on the shelf.
Costco here has the 4 roses small batch select from time to time and I find it to be fantastic.

Not cheap but reasonable for when I feel like something a little bit higher up on the shelf
Any of you fellers try “Old Elk”? I bought a bottle. I love elk, love the taste of elk, love hunting elk, watching elk, everything about elk! Love the name, the bottle, the cork…and we’ll stop there. I found what’s in the bottle to be absolutely horrid!!!! My buddies and I call it “Dead Elk”. I even left it open a while hoping it was just “neckpouritis”, and tried it again a month later, still horrible. It is still just awful 2 years later. Burnt for $54 dollars worth of cool bottle and cork. LOL
IMO Jefferson's very small batch is about the best out there in the $50 range.
After 25-30 bottles I've yet to have a bad sip.
Posted By: CRS Re: Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 06/22/22
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Ha funny. Good info. Do you shop at the Timmons Markets in Rapid? I was super impressed with the shelves there.

I have not tried Colorado or Wyoming bourbon yet, I've had a couple of HighWest bottles tho. Fine, but I did not think it premium juice. I guess I have a Bourye sitting here unopened. I'd like to try that Midwinter night's dram sometime but never seen it on the shelf.

Have not been in Timmons. Mr. Liquor on the west side is good.
The liquor store in front of Dakotamart in Lead had a nice selection last time I was there.

I tried some Breckenridge, average.
Do not prefer Highwest.
Have not tried Colorado.
Old Elk is very solid.
Posted By: WAM Re: Mathman, bourbon aficionado - 07/04/22
Commander picked this one up at Costco Friday, very nice. Dunno if you got a Costco where your at, but it’s worth a try. 👊🏻

Tried some I picked up at the Spokane Costco. It has a musky aroma and taste along the lines of a peaty Islay Scotch. Drinkable, but I won’t buy it again.
© 24hourcampfire