Home
I am old enough now to have lived through several booms and busts, and it seems to me like the “nice” gun market has gone soft really quickly - like in the past six months. Commodity pistols and rifles are being hawked constantly, but IMO finer rifles and pistols are being listed for Premium money with few takers. I see some nice pieces posted for sale that languish where they used to sell quickly a year ago.

I have shut down purchases in the last few months, and don’t feel like I could sell some nice firearms for the number I want. Does anyone feel the same way in this market?
finer rifles, shotguns, pistols are often difficult to move during tough economic times.
High-end revolvers seem to be doing well, e.g., Colt SAA 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, even Gen 3, USFA.
If ya look in the right places, Glocks for instance, are at Trump era prices. Seems like anybody that ever wanted an AR has one or.. 5.

OTOH!! buying gas to get to work & eating have become such a strain that weapons are way down the list in the budget.
Originally Posted by cotis
I am old enough now to have lived through several booms and busts, and it seems to me like the “nice” gun market has gone soft really quickly - like in the past six months. Commodity pistols and rifles are being hawked constantly, but IMO finer rifles and pistols are being listed for Premium money with few takers. I see some nice pieces posted for sale that languish where they used to sell quickly a year ago.

I have shut down purchases in the last few months, and don’t feel like I could sell some nice firearms for the number I want. Does anyone feel the same way in this market?
Yes.
Everybody that was going to buy, did it all at once in the last couple years.
I'm NOT into firearms.....for the 'market'!!
Your not wrong.
Always have someone looking for that special firearm. Truck driver or the ceo.Good guns always sell at a +.gw
The whole Remington craze stumped me,it died out quick when people flooded the market with $1800 Model Seven's -laf
I thinned the herd over the winter and got above what both the books said and I thought were premium prices for most. Only buying one this year (wink wink) , and this from a hated chain store. They had a used rifle, priced $50 over msrp. I challenged the price, provided my bona fides as an appraiser and the manager reset the price $150 lower, a little below where even I thought would be fair.
And today I went back, checked for recall compliance, and bought it. Friday, after 10:53 am I can pick it up. Look out, deer on my farm! I'm IL legal on 1/2/2023.
Well over a year ago sold a few guns payed the house off.....now just watching the market spiral down....just wonder where the bottom is going to be.....
Gosh.....hope you don't have to eat them.....
Buddy of mine has a shop and could not keep anything in stock at all. As soon as it came it, it went out. Gas hit $5+ and his sales plummeted.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
The whole Remington craze stumped me,it died out quick when people flooded the market with $1800 Model Seven's -laf

I have a new in the box Remington Model Seven SS .243. The first fella that offers me $1800 bucks is an owner. laugh
LGS has all shelves full.
Mostly new plastic or aluminum frame stuff.
The old Smith and Colt pieces tend to rotate through at steady pace.
Still overpriced IMHO.
Think they are slowly dropping though.
Ammo shelves seem pretty well stocked here too. It seems less and less people are paying the ridiculous prices.
I was at a PSA store yesterday and, while they seemed to have a pretty good selection of long guns, a lot of stuff seemed in short supply. Handgun cases were nowhere near pre-plannedemic levels, nor was ammo. I was looking for some oem mags for my Beretta 92 and for some Ruger Mk II mags and ended up coming home and ordering from Larry.
They needed to come down. When Jack Azz's are asking $3500 for a NIB 220 Swift, 700 Rem Classic, a correction needs to happen.
Originally Posted by wbyfan1
They needed to come down. When Jack Azz's are asking $3500 for a NIB 220 Swift, 700 Rem Classic, a correction needs to happen.
The amount Jack Azzs are willing to pay is the amount most people are going to ask, at least until they run out of said Jack Azzs
Classic supply and demand. The thing I miss is going to a gun show and getting a deal on something.
Originally Posted by gunzo
... OTOH!! buying gas to get to work & eating have become such a strain that weapons are way down the list in the budget.
Just had this conversation ^^^^^^^ with the owner of my LGS... Last year, he could sell everything he could get in the shop, even at inflated prices. This year, he is able to get inventory. But the Average Joe is spending so much on gas getting back and forth to work, leaves very few discretionary $$$$'s...
I think people's disposable income is now poured into their gas tanks and used to just make ends meet. Guns are not the priority in most budgets at this point. FJB
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Ammo shelves seem pretty well stocked here too. It seems less and less people are paying the ridiculous prices.

Thats bad news for these hoarders and flippers.

Poor little buggers.
30 million guys with a Govt stimmie check, a Gunbroker account, and no work to do/trucks to buy(“chip shortage”), didn’t help. Fools and “free money”...
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Gosh.....hope you don't have to eat them.....

I was one of the first through the door when they opened a big show in Louisville one morning, 1400 tables, no jewelry, carpet cleaners or jerky sales, all guns & related. With the huge crowds yet to form it gave me a minute to just stop & scan the room.

It was food for thought, no pun intended. I said to myself, "most every good gun shop in Ky. is loaded to the gills with guns, & now I stand here & see all this... how can they be worth anything, there are so many? One day we might have to make stew with the things"
Upside,

It might become a great time to buy!

I snuck up on a Cooper M21 Varminter Sunday night. High bid was $905.

I've not been able to touch one at that price in quite a few years.

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by centershot
I think people's disposable income is now poured into their gas tanks and used to just make ends meet. Guns are not the priority in most budgets at this point. FJB

This is likely about to become a bigger factor going forward. Likely for other hobby and non-essential items as well, like watercraft and RVs.
Originally Posted by gunzo
OTOH!! buying gas to get to work & eating have become such a strain that weapons are way down the list in the budget.

I think this has a lot to do with it.
Last week I bought a new Colt .38 Super, and paid 20 bucks under MSRP. I was happy, the dealer, who thought he had a deadweight to hang around his neck, was happy.
The firearms market may be softening but the ammo market is still ridiculous. I stopped into Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday and it's true that the shelves are stocked with ammo. But prices are ridiculous. A box of Federal Premium 25-06 costs $50+.
Was in cabelas over the weekend. Tnt 17hmr box of 50 for $20. First I've seen in awhile available
Maybe home prices & demand will drop too.
We're just working stiffs here and I haven't bought much for firearms in a year or so. Used to buy constantly. Now we watch what we spend because we don't know when the next insane leftist/communist policy will come along that will fucque us hard. It's clear the govt is the enemy of Americans, so we better watch out for ourselves!
Originally Posted by Fireball2
We're just working stiffs here and I haven't bought much for firearms in a year or so. Used to buy constantly. Now we watch what we spend because we don't know when the next insane leftist/communist policy will come along that will fucque us hard. It's clear the govt is the enemy of Americans, so we better watch out for ourselves!

You better keep a good coat of paint on that T-111 shack

LOL
Hopefully the large magnum rifle primer market will slow down.
Originally Posted by centershot

This. Most folks are concerned and appalled with the rising prices of fuel & food.
And the impending recession. And the fear that Hiden Biden and his Commie Handlers will bankrupt America and most Americans.

Not to mention the fact that during the Scamdemic, we saw all time record highs of Gun and ammo sales. Most folks bought everything they wanted and needed during that period, including folks that had NEVER bought a gun before.

High sales volume and crazy prices were bound to taper off and slow down eventually.

All the LGS I frequent are stocked to the brim with new guns nowadays. And I’m seeing quite a bit of ammo on the shelf’s too.
Only thing I see missing is reloading supplies such as primers, powder, and bullets.
Originally Posted by geedubya
Upside,

It might become a great time to buy!

I snuck up on a Cooper M21 Varminter Sunday night. High bid was $905.

I've not been able to touch one at that price in quite a few years.

ya!

GWB

Yep. Lots of folks may start selling off guns that they feel they just don’t need, to pay for gas and food.

LOL

We may have to start adopting little abandoned chillrens and farm them out for yardworkers to make ends meet! LOL
The way the market has been lately,I picked up a couple of reasonably prices 95% Remington 552 Speedmasters,1976 and 1980 models.The older Remington guns really took a big jump in price.I doubt I lose money on these two.

LOL

We may have to start adopting little abandoned chillrens and farm them out for yardworkers to make ends meet! LOL

LOL

LOL liberal heads would explode when you farm out lil Tyrone to go mow the neighborhood lawns!
I'm still seeing 2 bucks a round for decent large game ammo. Hope the "correction" happens before I run out of stock. And then I can be a hoarder again at low prices grin

LOL

Win Win you make money and teach kids the world ain't always fair.

LOL

Win Win you make money and teach kids the world ain't always fair.

The physical and emotional scars didn't hurt me none, they'll be fine....
Originally Posted by skeen

I have a new in the box Remington Model Seven SS .243. The first fella that offers me $1800 bucks is an owner. laugh

I bet!
To sell is tough to decide, to buy is even more difficult. Crazy times!
I bought a new(to me) rifle today. I didn’t need it. I tried to talk myself out of it. But I wanted it and have a little squirrel money. The market has softened a whole lot. It’s ridiculous what we are having to deal with right now. FJB
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
I'm still seeing 2 bucks a round for decent large game ammo. Hope the "correction" happens before I run out of stock. And then I can be a hoarder again at low prices grin

My LGS, which is usually a reasonably priced store, had .300 Savage ammo for $57.99 a box of 20 yesterday. Thankfully, I reload and have enough components to last me the rest of my deer hunting life.
© 24hourcampfire