Home
Posted By: kamo_gari Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
...you're still hungry when you decide to leave?

Three 1.25lb bugs, crab cakes, pile of haddock au gratin, sea scallops wrapped in bacon and the following?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This perhaps offered as an aside to the 'ocean' thread. Live landlocked? Not for this kid, but YMMV.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
I hate you!

I haven't had mussels in probably 3 years.

NO, I don't consider it gluttony.

Others might..................but we are free men in a free country, right?
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
SWEET...

But I think ya got cheated on tiny oysters...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
Poor filler.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing
SWEET...

But I think ya got cheated on tiny oysters...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'll see you half a bushel of Duxburys and raise you three quarts of Wellfleets. Your move. wink
Them ayesters are great, but I'd really rather have a 5 gallon bucket of mussels picked fresh off the rocks in NorCal. Complete with limpets and barnacles attached.
Posted By: m1919 Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
That looks fantastic
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Them ayesters are great, but I'd really rather have a 5 gallon bucket of mussels picked fresh off the rocks in NorCal. Complete with limpets and barnacles attached.

I hear you, paisano. One of my most memorable meals in this life was a paper bag full of steaming, freshly picked periwinkles from the seaside off Scotland's east coast in summer. Sewing needle or pin required.

Similarly, mussels get a bad rap for whatever reason but IMO are dynamite when properly prepared . A few pounds fresh picked off a jetty, steamed in beer or white wine with garlic, chives and maybe some fresh dill and lemon juice tossed in? Crusty Italian bread slices for sopping up the juices? Fuhgettaboutit, kid. Rich, nutty, meaty, with plenty of citrus? Straight up fit for kings.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
Cockles in Galicia.

Incredible ...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 57C079A3-F168-4335-BA65-0D0E9BEFC951.jpeg
Attached picture 7A855313-B569-42C3-BE60-19909D1F493F.jpeg
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
I'll see you half a bushel of Duxburys and raise you three quarts of Wellfleets. Your move. wink

ROFLMAO...

Awesome looking chow!

My apologies... I got carried away.

We should do a head to head sometime... F2F or US Mail.

Love the post!
Posted By: plumbum Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
...you're still hungry when you decide to leave?

Three 1.25lb bugs, crab cakes, pile of haddock au gratin, sea scallops wrapped in bacon and the following?

This perhaps offered as an aside to the 'ocean' thread. Live landlocked? Not for this kid, but YMMV.

Not gluttony of you are not overweight (and not bulimic)
Originally Posted by RickBin
Cockles in Galicia.

Incredible ...

See, there's a man who knows. wink Pronounced 'ga-lee-thee-ah'. A cat I knew in another lifetime was Ignacio, AKA Nacho. He was from the south of Spain, and was of an extremely wealthy family who made their fortune with oranges and specifically, marmalade. One of m student workers back then. Stupid family wealth. We called him 'El Rey de Marmalade'. wink I busted two of his ribs in a mosh pit at an open seating Green Day show on the banks of the Charles River in Boston in like 1999. Giggling aqui, hombre.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
I know when the time comes and I'm not taking care of my father any longer, I'm flying up for a week of just eating. Damn it's been what like 3-4 yrs since I've been up there. F-cking covid bull chit.
Posted By: Sprint11 Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
Cockles in Galicia.

Incredible ...

Percebes (Goose Neck Barnacles) are even better in Galacia. Even the octopus in Galacia is good.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
Leighton, we did make a big pot of Menudo last night, it's still sitting on the stove cooling down.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
I just won't eat oysters or mussels, but I'll sure tear up a lobster.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
Mannlicher: Until YOU have had properly smoked Mussels YOU have NOT lived!
Mouthwatering.
Wonderful.
Amazing.
Long live seafood.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
No, definitely and emphatically, no.
Posted By: Teal Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
Looks amazing.

I'm not a seafood person - don't care for most fish or lobster but recently in the last 2 years tried mussels and liked them okay. How does an oyster compare?
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
Cockles in Galicia.

Incredible ...

Any seafood that comes out of Galicia is simply outstanding. La Coruna and los Rios Bajos have incredible restaurants.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
Those pics are killin me. Jealous fer sure.

Glutton? I've got the T-shirt. There used to be a pretty high end sea food buffet in Lexington Ky. It was about as pricey as any eats in the city, so we'd only go about once a year. On the way there we might have just a couple small tokes of hippy hay to whet our appetite, & then we'd dive in.

One night the waitress ask if all was ok, blah, blah, & then proceeded to ask us if we were aware or the 3 hour time limit? I answered with a yes, looked at my watch, then told her it looked like we still had 20 minutes. She kind of snarled; OK, & left. Stunts like that are probably why my stomach isn't the healthiest now days.

IMO, no food finer than fresh quality seafood, & plenty of it.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
Originally Posted by Teal
Looks amazing.

I'm not a seafood person - don't care for most fish or lobster but recently in the last 2 years tried mussels and liked them okay. How does an oyster compare?

Apples and oranges.

I like them both, but very different. Mussels
Are always cooked, for starters. I prefer mussels. As the broth they release when in preparation melds with whatever else you’re including in the preparation. And it’s almost hard to screw that up. The oysters up here are best eaten raw on the half shell. Totally different ballgame.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
Leighton, so,so jealous Mate !!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
A friend sent me 38 pounds of tanner crab clusters a couple months ago. It was pretty special... but the variety easily trumps that.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
Kamo, have you ever been the The Pearl Restaurant in Wellfleet? Their Wellfleet little necks and oysters
are fantastic. I go there whenever I'm on the Cape. I can't get enough of them! Love your pictures!
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
No one can ever say you don't eat well...

Jealous.
Originally Posted by Teal
Looks amazing.

For starters, as with most seafood, there are countless ways to prepare oysters aside from raw on the halfshell. Oyster stew (cream based), baked or broiled oysters in dishes like oysters Rockefeller and oysters broiled with butter, parmesan and garlic, smoked oysters, Po'Boys, etc. Here are some good ideas: https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/oyster-recipes/

I pretty much love them all, but fresh out of the ocean raw and fried Japanese style as seen below are probably my favorite. Featuring Hokkaido oysters I got from the oyster man himself after a stag hunt, flown back to Tokyo with me and graciously and lovingly prepared by Mrs. KG and her sweetheart grandma. All I had to do was buy them. Oh, and shuck 'em.

Originally Posted by RS308MX
Kamo, have you ever been the The Pearl Restaurant in Wellfleet? Their Wellfleet little necks and oysters
are fantastic. I go there whenever I'm on the Cape. I can't get enough of them! Love your pictures!

I have not, but since you recommend it I've added it to the list. One back at you: Pisces in Chatham. Wonderful little place.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
A friend sent me 38 pounds of tanner crab clusters a couple months ago. It was pretty special... but the variety easily trumps that.

I smell a round of bartering! wink
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
You’re just a growing boy. Eat up. 😊
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
Leighton, have you read Ruark's account of the oyster-eating event in The Old Man and the Boy? If not, you should. Best, John

Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Cockles in Galicia.

Incredible ...

Any seafood that comes out of Galicia is simply outstanding. La Coruna and los Rios Bajos have incredible restaurants.

Before the CV nonsense, wife and I were planning to hit Spain and Portugal to eat. Hopefully to hunt. Probably next year, but thanks to you guys for reminding me to be sure to hit Galacia if we can. Another guy I used to run around with years ago was from Bilbao, and used to rave about the seafood in Galicia. I erred before about the other guy, the Marmalade King. He was from Seville in the south.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
Mmmmmm Seville oranges.....
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Leighton, have you read Ruark's account of the oyster-eating event in The Old Man and the Boy? If not, you should. Best, John

My copy of Ruark's TOMATB is old and well worn, John. wink

Thanks for the input, y'all.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22

Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Cockles in Galicia.

Incredible ...

Before the CV nonsense, wife and I were planning to hit Spain and Portugal to eat. Hopefully to hunt. Probably next year, but thanks to you guys for reminding me to be sure to hit Galacia if we can. Another guy I used to run around with years ago was from Bilbao, and used to rave about the seafood in Galicia. I erred before about the other guy, the Marmalade King. He was from Seville in the south.

I forgot to throw Vigo into the list. Outstanding place to visit and eat.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
Looks amazing!

I wish I could decide between mountains and the ocean!

I'll probably retire in Maine.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
I gained 10# !!!
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Looks amazing!

I wish I could decide between mountains and the ocean!

I'll probably retire in Maine.

Dude, that would be amazing...................WA would suit me if it weren't WA. Maine, at least at this point in time, doesn't seem as "liberally minded" as WA.

If Brandon's economy wasn't so special right now, the wife and I would likely be planning a trip over to the coast in the fall. Probably not a happenin' thing now.
Leighton, those home fried Japanese oysters look like the BOMB!
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
Ol Kamo is killing us and he knows it!!!
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
No disrespect intended. I am glad you enjoy that stuft. But none for me please.

I would prefer a trout out of the stream, or a bluegill out of the pond. And follow it up by shooting a grass finished angus or hereford in the face.

You enjoy what you wete raised on, as do I.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/21/22
WOW ....Makes me hungry ...& jealous.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/22/22
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I would prefer a trout out of the stream, or a bluegill out of the pond. And follow it up by shooting a grass finished angus or hereford in the face.

Fair enough, and I'm not terribly concerned with what kind of foods anyone else eats. You dislike seafood? OK by me. I grew up on it and chase my own whenever possible and like my seafood fresh and locally sourced whenever possible. When I want bloody, marbled red, white or pink meat of high quality I buy it or kill it. All good, friend. Nice to have choices, right?
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I know when the time comes and I'm not taking care of my father any longer, I'm flying up for a week of just eating. Damn it's been what like 3-4 yrs since I've been up there. F-cking covid bull chit.

You know well my door's always open to you, mi hermano. You also know if you get too shytfaced and acting the fool in my crib you'll wake up with my old lady booting you in the teeth in the guestroom before sunrise. By mistake, of course...

wink
Cockles in Galicia.

Incredible ...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

lol
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Is it gluttony if... - 06/22/22
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Fair enough, and I'm not terribly concerned with what kind of foods anyone else eats. You dislike seafood? OK by me. I grew up on it and chase my own whenever possible and like my seafood fresh and locally sourced whenever possible. When I want bloody, marbled red, white or pink meat of high quality I buy it or kill it. All good, friend. Nice to have choices, right?

He likes his dry red meat well done.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
He likes his dry red meat well done.

I'm so corn-fused...

You farm boys have me scratching head some. Kind of like imagining Wabigoof happily paying for drinks like a tourist/sucker at some hilarious phony-baloney bar based on some Boston based TV sitcom show that never was.

'FISH ON BROTHER, SET THAT FAHKIN' HOOK KID!

wink
© 24hourcampfire