Home
Posted By: PaulBarnard Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/26/22
Tomorrow, my best bud Mark and I fly out to Kodiak to do some fishing. Mark's a good dude. Funny as hell. I always joked that he's a confrontation looking for a place to happen though. When he's driving and I am talking to him on the phone, if the conversation goes for more than 10 minutes, I'll hear his horn honk along with some cussing. He also likes to do things to provoke or gauge response.

In fact that's what he was doing when I met him. We were both stationed in Kodiak with the Coast Guard. I took a part time job at the Coast Guard exchange working ithe gun counter and sporting goods. I was behind the counter. He walks up and starts BSing. He asked about one of the guns. Without hesitation, I handed it to him. Before everything was said and done, he had asked to handle about every gun we had. When he ran out of steam, I quipped that we had some in the back in boxes that I'd let him fondle. He laughed. And thus it began. Two coastal Mississippians in a far away land became best hunting and fishing buds. His 15 year old son is joining us.

We'll be staying with an old friend who has a nice offshore boat. Halibut and salmon should come back with us as checked baggage. If I have service where we'll be, I'll post some pics. Damn, I need this getaway.
Posted By: 41rem Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/26/22
I'll look forward to the pics.

Don't get et by a bear.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/26/22
Reds are running, just find a good creek mouth and snag a home pak then go fishing.
They're probably not in any danger- - - - - - -There's a few things even a bear won't eat.
Originally Posted by JeffA
Reds are running, just find a good creek mouth and snag a home pak then go fishing.

They're running in some creeks. Haven't seen them in Pasagshak and Buskin is closed. I didn't well at Afognak last week.
Posted By: TimZ Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/26/22
Nice, enjoy…….very jealous in the middle of this heat wave here….
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Don't get et by a bear.

I spent a crap ton of time afield when I was stationed there. I saw very few in the wilds and never had any show any kind of aggression. I was driving down the main highway after dark one evening and saw a sow with two cubs cross. I stopped in the road beside them, rolled my window down and growled at them. Mom wheeled around lightning fast, huffed and popped her teeth at me. That gave me the cold willies.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

They're running in some creeks. Haven't seen them in Pasagshak and Buskin is closed. I didn't well at Afognak last week.

He lives way out in Chiniak. Of all the end of the road places in Kodiak, I spent less time there. I have no idea what's close for creeks/rivers. When are the sea run silvers in close? Seems like they show up offshore well before they migrate in.
Posted By: Bobmar Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/26/22
Sounds like a great trip! Holler if you need another Coastie!
Originally Posted by Bobmar

Active or retired?
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/26/22
Have a great time Paul and take lots of pics.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/26/22
PB,

Look into a hunting outfitter while you’re up there talking to the locals. It would be pretty cool to have a direction to pursue for a hunt should you want to do a bucket list hunt for big game in AK.

Hope you have a great trip.

🦫
When we were stationed there, it was pre-911. Our base was basically wide open. We had a front gate to the main base, but the guard arms were rarely down and guards were rarely on duty. Mark got drunk at a party 5-6 miles down the road in Bell's Flats. He decided to ride a Honda ATC 90 back to the base. He wheeled off of the main highway into the base, throttled up and was immediately peeled from the little three wheeler by the guard arm right across the chest. Luckily the guard knew him and helped see him back to the barracks.
PaulBarnyard: Enjoy yourselves!
Sounds like you may have an "insider" and already know where to fish but in case you don't theres this.
My friends and I have fished for King Salmon two different years off of a live aboard fishing vessel.
We caught King Salmon to 72 pounds across the way from the town of Kodiak in Marmot Bay of Afognak Island!
There was/is a small lumber camp with sheltered tie-up for over nighting there. And we fished right out in front of it.
I wish I could remember the name of the huge plugs we were using to catch these monsters - I'll make a phone call and see if I can retrieve that info.
Hope the weather "holds" for you and again enjoy yourselves.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Leave the spandex and the bike at home.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
PaulBarnyard: Enjoy yourselves!
Sounds like you may have an "insider" and already know where to fish but in case you don't theres this.
My friends and I have fished for King Salmon two different years off of a live aboard fishing vessel.
We caught King Salmon to 72 pounds across the way from the town of Kodiak in Marmot Bay of Afognak Island!
There was/is a small lumber camp with sheltered tie-up for over nighting there. And we fished right out in front of it.
I wish I could remember the name of the huge plugs we were using to catch these monsters - I'll make a phone call and see if I can retrieve that info.
Hope the weather "holds" for you and again enjoy yourselves.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Leave the spandex and the bike at home.

We will be a long haul from where you fished. Kinda the opposite side ofthe island. I think we'll be pretty well set.

Thanks for the reminder. I knew I was forgetting something!
Nice!
Been a long time since I was on Kodiak. Pretty cool place.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/26/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

He lives way out in Chiniak. Of all the end of the road places in Kodiak, I spent less time there. I have no idea what's close for creeks/rivers. When are the sea run silvers in close? Seems like they show up offshore well before they migrate in.

It's a bit early for much Coho action, it'll be Kings and Reds.
Just be sure to snag your Reds in the mouth.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Have a great time Paul and take lots of pics.

When I was there, it was before digital cameras became common, and a decade before cell phone cameras got decent. I have a few pics from my days there, but they aren't very good quality. I hope to fix that this time.
Posted By: SDLEFTY Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/26/22
Have a great trip! Pm me when you get back with some tips. I'm heading there in Aug w a group of guys for our first time.

It's a bit early for much Coho action, it'll be Kings and Reds.
Just be sure to snag your Reds in the mouth.

It's been 23 years since I was stationed there. I couldn't remember how all the runs worked out. I just read an article to refresh my memory. I hope I can find a way to get out to Saltery Creek. That's a very good Red Salmon destination.

Active or retired?

Retired in 2005, nearly rehabilitated!
Posted By: deflave Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/26/22
I hope his dick ends up being all you’d hoped for.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by deflave

Your mom said it's a good one, almost as big as mine.

Active or retired?

Retired in 2005, nearly rehabilitated!

Retired in 05 as well. I had a bud that got out after 6 years. He said the first thing he was going to do was go to the nearest street corner and find a digk to suck to regain some of his self-respect.
Haha! I’ve heard of some guys dealing with their trauma that way. Fortunately for me it wasn’t necessary. I’m sure glad that it’s all behind me and not in front of me though! Looking forward to pictures of your fish. Good luck!
Posted By: rong Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/26/22
Sounds like a great get away.
Enjoy it post up some pics of the bounty.
enjoy
Posted By: viking Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/26/22
Renting bikes? What, someone had to ask.

You have twin creeks, roselyn creek and Chiniak river out there. Silvers won't show for a few more weeks. A few kings in Olds river which is close

You have twin creeks, roselyn creek and Chiniak river out there. Silvers won't show for a few more weeks. A few kings in Olds river which is close

Thanks!
Spent a lot of nights in Billeting as we waited for Roland and Seahawk air to fly us out to our hunting or fishing grounds.
Many memorable Kodiak trips.
Ever ran across a Coastie named Bobby at Kodiak? He was about 5’4 but had arms the size of most peoples thighs.
Enjoy your trip and be safe.
Tomorrow, my best bud Mark and I fly out to Kodiak to do some fishing. Mark's a good dude. Funny as hell. I always joked that he's a confrontation looking for a place to happen though. When he's driving and I am talking to him on the phone, if the conversation goes for more than 10 minutes, I'll hear his horn honk along with some cussing. He also likes to do things to provoke or gauge response.

In fact that's what he was doing when I met him. We were both stationed in Kodiak with the Coast Guard. I took a part time job at the Coast Guard exchange working ithe gun counter and sporting goods. I was behind the counter. He walks up and starts BSing. He asked about one of the guns. Without hesitation, I handed it to him. Before everything was said and done, he had asked to handle about every gun we had. When he ran out of steam, I quipped that we had some in the back in boxes that I'd let him fondle. He laughed. And thus it began. Two coastal Mississippians in a far away land became best hunting and fishing buds. His 15 year old son is joining us.

We'll be staying with an old friend who has a nice offshore boat. Halibut and salmon should come back with us as checked baggage. If I have service where we'll be, I'll post some pics. Damn, I need this getaway.

Have a good time dude, sounds like a blast!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/27/22
Arms spread wide, get the bigen' eh! laugh
Who's the other redneck going with you two?
Originally Posted by stxhunter
😂
Posted By: kingston Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/27/22
Have a great time Paul. I look forward to pics.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/27/22
You laying over for the night in Anchorage?
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Spent a lot of nights in Billeting as we waited for Roland and Seahawk air to fly us out to our hunting or fishing grounds.
Many memorable Kodiak trips.
Ever ran across a Coastie named Bobby at Kodiak? He was about 5’4 but had arms the size of most peoples thighs.
Enjoy your trip and be safe.

Never met Bobby. We are headed to the airport in a few.

His old CG buddies 15 year old son.
You laying over for the night in Anchorage?

Nope. Scheduled to be in Kodiak at 630 this evening.
That's a marathon of a plane trip.

What'll be for you, 9:30/10:30pm?

It takes me 3 days to fly there anymore, don't like to be all tuckered out when I arrive.

I take Alaska Air's non-stop Tampa/Seattle then go out to dinner.
Mid-morning day 2 I'll go Seattle/Anchorage, that allows for a afternoon of shopping around Anchorage then a trip to the Bush Company for the evening.
Grab a early flight morning of day 3 and show up at my destination for lunch feeling great.

You should try that sometime, makes all the difference.
Rednecks?

Spandex is NOT redneck... as a basic point of clarification.

Post pics...
Or the brain box.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
I’ll out frog gig you any day of the week.
That's a marathon of a plane trip.

What'll be for you, 9:30/10:30pm?

It takes me 3 days to fly there anymore, don't like to be all tuckered out when I arrive.

I take Alaska Air's non-stop Tampa/Seattle then go out to dinner.
Mid-morning day 2 I'll go Seattle/Anchorage, that allows for a afternoon of shopping around Anchorage then a trip to the Bush Company for the evening.
Grab a early flight morning of day 3 and show up at my destination for lunch feeling great.

You should try that sometime, makes all the difference.
. It’s not bad. Nola to Dallas 2 hour layover. Dallas to Anchorage 2 hour layover. Anchorage to Kodiak. Arrive 630 this evening. Coming back is the red eye. Backing out of the gate now!
Posted By: g5m Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/27/22
Have a great time!
At one time I was making that run every 60 days so did it in a little more of a rushed fashion.

Now days it's more like twice a year so I slowed it down a bit, enjoy the trip a little more.

Be safe, enjoy your TSA molesting's.
Lol, maybe I've done my share, I ordered a hundred bullfrog tadpoles to release in the lake view pond here in town so we'd have bullfrogs we only have leopard frogs here, going to get catfish, bass, and bluegill fingerlings also to stock in that pond that's a couple of miles from my house here in town.
What I wouldn't give to return to Kodiak!

Chiniak isn't even a wide spot! It's a U.S. Post Shack that sits right off the road! LOL!

When I went in 2012, we went out to "Roads End" restaurant to eat!
Fun place.

Best fishing moments were on 8 foot seas just off Chiniak. We tagged out on 12 kings and umpteen silvers in about an hour!
We then returned to calmer waters to fish for halibut. Real downer!

The charter we used is now defunct. His boat burned.
Great guy. A bit of an A-hole, but could put you on fish!
Honestly, to run a charter boat, you've got to be a "Type A" personality....or a bit of an A-hole!
It's quite a trip from Chiniak, around the horn to Whale Pass between Kodiak and Afognak. My b-i-l (rest his soul) caught the first fish, on the first day trolling Whale Pass!
About a 45 pound king. Biggest salmon of the trip!

BTW! We had you by 2 rednecks!
Four of us from east Texas staying at the Best Western and we got stuck in the elevator! LOL!
Lol, maybe I've done my share, I ordered a hundred bullfrog tadpoles to release in the lake view pond here in town so we'd have bullfrogs we only have leopard frogs here, going to get catfish, bass, and bluegill fingerlings also to stock in that pond that's a couple of miles from my house here in town.
That’s a good idea. Never thought of tadpole stocking
That’s a good idea. Never thought of tadpole stocking
You can order them on Amazon. Fish will come from a local fish farm. I want to be able to take my grandsons there to fish and stuff.
The fun has begun. Dallas airport. Crowded. Mark’s 15 year old son is with us. He had to pee. I pointed him toward the restroom. He came running out red faced. I figured he’d see the female symbol at some point before he got in.
Looking forward to the story and pictures.
Originally Posted by martinstrummer

Chiniak isn't even a wide spot! It's a U.S. Post Shack that sits right off the road! LOL!

Fun place.

Best fishing moments were on 8 foot seas just off Chiniak. We tagged out on 12 kings and umpteen silvers in about an hour!

Honestly, to run a charter boat, you've got to be a "Type A" personality....or a bit of an A-hole!
It's quite a trip from Chiniak, around the horn to Whale Pass between Kodiak and Afognak. My b-i-l (rest his soul) caught the first fish, on the first day trolling Whale Pass!

Four of us from east Texas staying at the Best Western and we got stuck in the elevator! LOL!
. I didn’t know this until I did a little research but Chiniak Bay is supposed to be the best King fishing on the road system.
The fun has begun. Dallas airport. Crowded. Mark’s 15 year old son is with us. He had to pee. I pointed him toward the restroom. He came running out red faced. I figured he’d see the female symbol at some point before he got in.
DFW? some good bars and restaurants in there.
DFW? some good bars and restaurants in there.
. Just ate at a pretty darn good Mexican restaurant. You would have liked our server!
Posted By: Raeford Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/27/22
Safe travels & Good fishing!

😂
Sounds like fun! But no more mention of the two rednecks that are going with yall?
I just reminded myself of one of the reasons I prefer window seat. I just crop dusted from the front of the plane to the back.
Flying over British Columbia right now. In between the Canadian Rockies and the Coastal Mountain range. Pretty country.

Who did you order the bullfrog tadpoles from? Would like to add some to our pond.
Flying over British Columbia right now. In between the Canadian Rockies and the Coastal Mountain range. Pretty country.

Don't they have some kinda thing about using your phone on a plane?
Who did you order the bullfrog tadpoles from? Would like to add some to our pond.

Read Thread.

You can order them on Amazon.
Posted By: deflave Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/28/22
Originally Posted by deflave

Your mom said it's a good one, almost as big as mine.

She says that to all the gals.

Fun place.

. I didn’t know this until I did a little research but Chiniak Bay is supposed to be the best King fishing on the road system.

My first time up, we spent three days fishing Chiniak Bay and a spot the Cap'n referred to as Triple Hump and a real rocky bottom to fish for ling cod.

Second trip, we fished Whale Pass, Chiniak Bay and a couple of other spots.
Really a crazy trip!
The "lead" guy wanted to fish Friday, Saturday, rest Sunday.
Fish Monday and fly out Tuesday
Problem 1, we had to buy a 3 day license and a one day license for Monday!
THEN---- Problem #2::: FOG!
Got to the Kodiak Int'l Airport, Haircare and Tire center. It was so fogged in, they canceled our flight.
Back to Best Western.
That was Tuesday.
Wednesday, back to the airport.
Canceled due to fog.
Back to Best Western.
Thursday...BACK to the airport!
AGAIN! Canceled due to fog!
This time, they rebooked us for Monday! 🤯
What the hell ya gonna do? SWIM to Homer?
It was 115° in Oklahoma! I DID enjoy the 55° on Kodiak!

We could have taken the ferry, but it was pricey as hell and they didn't have a way to keep our fish frozen.
The bus from Homer to Anchorage couldn't keep our fish frozen either.
So.....we waited out the fog! SIX DAYS!

At some point, you need to read the history of Kodiak and the near Japanese invasion of WWII!

Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093FZ4HK7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_14?smid=A3MK1VOWM69SOD&psc=1
crawdads

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BZN44X3/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=A3MK1VOWM69SOD&psc=1
So, the main question to consider for a hunting buddy on a trip like that, is can you outrun him?
Posted By: JeffA Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/28/22
I think TSA cuffed Paul when he got into Anchorage for using his phone in-flight.
Probably ban him from future flights and make take a bus home.

Fun place.

Whale Pass is between Kodiak and Whale Island. Afognak to Whale Island is not far, but quite a bit wider than Whale Pass.
I caught an 80# halibut off whale pass 2 weeks ago
Posted By: Heeler Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/28/22
I think TSA cuffed Paul when he got into Anchorage for using his phone in-flight.
Probably ban him from future flights and make take a bus home.

Probably hooked up to the plane’s wi-fi.

There's a guy who's posted in this thread that did the same thing in Ketchikan one time. Except he wasn't red faced at all, just all smiles.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/28/22

Fun place.

Interesting. Certainly will never be a type A. Azzhole is far from me, but maybe thats the same as funny kind of smartazz I suppose. Grins.
We were treated to perfect weather today. Our friend's big boat is in the shop, so we only had access to his little skiff. I started off the day taking Mark's son Tyler tide pooling on an extremely low tide. While we were doing that, Andy and Mark took the skiff out to get some way points marked in Andy's new GPS. They fished a little and boated a 10 pound and a 20 pound halibut.

They came back and the three of use went. We brought in two small halibut, and this one that was probably 40 or so pounds. Tyler's first halibut. We caught some decent cod and some rock fish too. We came back and ate. Now Andy is out with Mark and Tyler seeing what they can stir up. When you get this kind of weather in Kodiak, you take full advantage of it.

Posted By: kingston Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/29/22
Beautiful day! Glassy!
Fantastic Paul!!!
What a first day.
You hit some amazing weather - it’s been like that here in south central for an unbelievable spell.
‘Attaboy. Hope you and your crew keep putting the wood to ‘em, Paul. Great pics. Appreciate your sharing.

P.S. Point deduction for the dude on the mobile.
Those pics are photoshopped!!
😂
Posted By: JeffA Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/29/22
Let's see some dump bears.
Posted By: deflave Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/29/22
This is way cooler than bicycles.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/29/22
Nice fish, keep ‘em coming!
Nobody's told PB he sucks yet, whatsa matter with you guys?

Paul you suck!!!
Nice going Paul, keep the pics coming.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Paul you suck!!!
It’s a given.
Taking notes. Keep the updates coming.
Crushed massive Black Rockfish and the biggest cod I have ever caught. Only one halibut. Don’t have time to post pics now. Another spectacular weather day.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/30/22
You're just a tease.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/30/22
Nice sunstar in the one pic. See any other cool tidepool critters?
Posted By: irfubar Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/30/22
Cool trip... thanks for sharing... pic's add cred
Originally Posted by irfubar
Cool trip... thanks for sharing... pic's add cred
There's a few here that don't need them though, right? whistle
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Not a whole lot.
Some pics from today. We added some color to the mix. The boat was so heavy coming back that it wouldn't plane.

Nice, man!

Stop in the B&B for a cocktail?
Is the big boat going to be out of the shop before you leave?

Be nice to troll for some Kings.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

First note: Gotta have old friend that hands you a boat with a GPS full of waypoints upon arrival to Kodiak.
Irish Lord? And bait…kelp greenling are pretty fish too.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Paul you suck!!!
It’s a given.

I heard he brought a pound of bananas on the boat.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Irish Lord? And bait…kelp greenling are pretty fish too.
Yeah, the red one is an Irish Lord.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Nice, man!

There’s fishing to be done. Got not time for that!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/30/22
Damn that looks like fun! It appears that you couldn't have timed the weather any better!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 06/30/22
Now Andy is out with Mark and Tyler seeing what they can stir up. When you get this kind of weather in Kodiak, you take full advantage of it.

Paul, up on shore, waiting for his turn to fish again:

The boat was so heavy coming back that it wouldn't plane.

It's 3 hp with 2 1/2 men in it, you should have brought the pedal kit off your kayak for it..

Not a whole lot.
Bummer, that tidepooling thing is a treat for my wife and I when we get to the coast. Kinda goes with being fish and marine biologists though.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Paul you suck!!!
It’s a given.

I heard he brought a pound of bananas on the boat.
Was probably caught whistling too?
I don't know about such. But when he asked the captain where he could stow his banana, I heard things got tense.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Nice, man!

There’s fishing to be done. Got not time for that!

Hah! Ain’t nothing wrong with a little fishin’ juice!
Let's see some dump bears.
Dump got bear-proof fencing quite a long time ago...
I think they all have...

Use to be like going to the drive-in theater.
Nothing like seeing a Alaskan Brown Bear with half a pamper hanging outta its azz.
ya, the annual drive to fill the freezer with king & sockeye (red) salmon is well under way !

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Yesterday we went to Pasagshak to fish for red salmon. The truck alternator died, so we aborted that. In the short time I was there i ran into a guy who sold me a Dodge truck 25 years ago.

We got the alternator taken care of and managed a short fishing trip. Withe the weather being what it was, we were stuck close to shore. One small halibut was all we managed.

We wrapped the evening up with a bonfire. A fox joined us for a while.

Originally Posted by TimberRunner

First note: Gotta have old friend that hands you a boat with a GPS full of waypoints upon arrival to Kodiak.

Yes, yes. Noted. In the notes.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/03/22
Where are ya Paul?

Them bears might have caught Paul trying to steal their Salmon.
Posted By: viking Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/03/22
Nah I’ll bet he bear proofed himself. Bells 🔔 on his crocs and 🚴🤣
We are in our third day of typical Kodiak weather. Rain/fog/limited visibility. The weather is supposed to break tomorrow and give us 3 more decent days before we fly out.
Them Salmon wait for that crappy weather to run.
Them Salmon wait for that crappy weather to run.

The first decent run of reds came into Pasagshak yesterday. Tyler caught one.
Read my post in the Alaska Forum..
They are getting slammed.

“When we saw the forecast for the wind on the 30th. I was telling people, ‘Hey, that's going to be the day, the fish are going to show up then,’ And they did,

Tyone Raymond fishes on the F/V Mr. Fox in the Nushagak District. He says fishing has been great – despite terrible weather.

“We were out fishing all day and all night, and it was blowing pretty hard. Fish were piling in,” he said.
Things got real today boys. I’ll try to post some pics tomorrow. Having technological issues right now.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/05/22
Studly,

The fishing went well I presume?
Studly,

The fishing went well I presume?
Crazy good fishing day.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/05/22
I await the photos tomorrow then.
Wife and i drive up to Chiniak after finding no fish in Buskin. Even got roped into participating in the parade . I need to hit Pasagshak I guess
Wife and i drive up to Chiniak after finding no fish in Buskin. Even got roped into participating in the parade . I need to hit Pasagshak I guess

There were quite a few caught Friday at Pasagshak. Not many yesterday.
Things got real today boys. I’ll try to post some pics tomorrow. Having technological issues right now.
run out of toilet paper?
Posted By: JeffA Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/05/22
Where's Pauldo?

Posted By: JeffA Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/05/22
It was a glorious day to be on the water.

There was a lot of this over the past two days. Two trips and two limits of halibut.

Then this happened.

And after about 15 exhausting minutes, we put this in the boat.

Those skinny jeans are pimptastic.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/06/22
Cool pics, good looking catch
That’s a lotta fish in that boat!
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/06/22
Good deal. Luv catching those halibut. Some say they’re like pulling up plywood but I think otherwise.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Good deal. Luv catching those halibut. Some say they’re like pulling up plywood but I think otherwise.
They aren’t overly powerful. A Tuna of the same weight would have spooled me.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/06/22
I have had plenty of halibut take runs on me, though usually only 50 feet or so…
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/06/22
Yeah buddy!
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/06/22
Great stuff Paul, love the pics!
Posted By: 700LH Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/06/22
Nice fish Paul
Those fish got torn up like a glass dilldoe in a food disposal today. We boated over 20 halibut and left the rock fish biting with a limit. All six of our halibut were in the 25 pound range. Heading south tomorrow afternoon.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/07/22
No Salmon?
They aren’t overly powerful.

They're just overly tasty, like Jules Winnfield's beverage.
No Salmon?
just one
Might be able to trade some of that Halibut for some.

You can trade halibut for salmon at Island Seafood.
Salmon don't start "running" until mid to late July.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/07/22
Kodiak is a great place, one of my favorites that I miss the most. I once shot a nice buck, caught a limit of kings, a couple of halibut, and a few black rockfish all in one November day.

My favorite pickup I’ve ever owned and some of the best friends I’ve ever made still live there.
I hope Paul fished his balls off.

I caught 2 limits of reds 2 weeks ago. They are running
Posted By: Morewood Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/07/22
Right on, Paul. Memories to last a lifetime with pictures to remind you.

Just guessing the Red run would be at its peak or just passed it about now there.

Pinks?

Pinks?
. The very first of the pinks were approaching the rivers. We saw a few jumping.
We had a lanky adolescent brown bear in the driveway this morning. I suspect the smell of our slaughter brought it in. Probably 350-400 pounds
We had a lanky adolescent brown bear in the driveway this morning. I suspect the smell of our slaughter brought it in. Probably 350-400 pounds
How did you get it to stand on the scale? Amazing!!
Posted By: JeffA Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/08/22
That bear probably knew where to get some Reds.

. It was nice meeting you today Dennis. Forums make the world a smaller place!
Glad you stopped by

An old friend, rest his soul, carried his grandsons to Kodiak (2013?2014?) over the July 4th weekend. Three days and they caught one salmon.
The three times I've been to Kodiak, it was late July or early August as suggested by the charter captain.
In 2012, we drove out to Moneka Creek. It was loaded with salmon.
Depends on whether you want to fly fish or troll
Looks like you’re having a great time. I’m in Homer for another 3 days, caught a #64 halibut today, did a couple of small runs but not like a good trout or stripper will do. I suspect the drags on the avets are the reason. One silver and one king for the six of us, hoping to run to the Ling grounds tomorrow.

Good luck Paul, looks like you’re hammering them.
Some final photos. It was truly a great trip. Lots of laughter and memories that will last forever.

Guess the name of this rock.

What is this?

Coast Guard reprezintin'

Otters were plentiful.

The face of an embarrassed 15 year old boy when your burp shakes the restaurant walls.

Doubled up!

Chiniak Highway.

Mark and Tyler.

Dinner. 2 days ago this thing was swimming. Tonight it is chili lime caper halibut.

Looks like a great trip Paul, thanks for taking us along.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/09/22
How much of that Halibut did you pack home?

We checked 200 pounds of fish, most of which was halibut. We also left about 75 pounds of fish with Andy.
Almost forgot to mention a nice little bonus. 357 Federal brass has been impossible to find. A little sporting goods store on the Island had 3 bags marked at pre-stupidity prices.
Almost forgot to mention a nice little bonus. 357 Federal brass has been impossible to find. A little sporting goods store on the Island had 3 bags marked at pre-stupidity prices.

"Big Red's"

"Big Red's"

Big Rays. Used to be Macs when I was stationed there.
Posted By: SKane Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/09/22
Cool beans. Glad you had a good trip.
Looks like a great trip dranrab luap.

We checked 200 pounds of fish, most of which was halibut. We also left about 75 pounds of fish with Andy.

What did it cost you to check that much fish if you don't mind me asking?

And congrats on a great trip, looks like a good time.
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

What did it cost you to check that much fish if you don't mind me asking?

And congrats on a great trip, looks like a good time.

With American, the first checked bag is 30 bucks, the second is 40 bucks. We bought $25 igloo coolers for shipping. The third checked bag jumped up to $150. As long as it is frozen, it's good to go.
Those salmon berries are pretty good eating.
A couple tips for packing fish home... some may have changed due to all the current problems... Alaska Air does not charge first class for extra bags. Look for first class on your return. Do not waste space in your coolers with ice, the mass will stay plenty frozen for a full day and then some. Fish boxes with mylar bubble pack are very effective. Alaska charges for extra bags OR oversize OR overweight bags, but only one charge per bag. You might as well make them 70#...
On Alaska Air out of Kodiak, AK, you used to (2015) be able to check two 50# boxes for $20 (IIRC).
Our charter boat took all fish to Island Seafoods for processing.
I had one box of fish that sat on the baggage scale and would fluctuate between 50.00 and flicker to 50.01, then back to 50.00.
They knew their stuff! LOL!

The last time up, my b-i-l and me knew we could leave with 200 pounds of fish. When Island Seafood got through processing our fish, we had 195 pounds!
I had them stuff 5 pounds of smoked salmon in the lite box and mark it!

NOTE:
We fished Fri, Sat and Sun. Then laid over Monday. The extra day gave Island Seafood time to process our fish and be certain it was well frozen prior to shipping.*

* - we picked it up and checked it as baggage

I haven't been to Kodiak in seven years. I'm sure a bit has changed.

I would give just about anything to make a trip to Kodiak and have the freedom to fish with a local like this group did!
We always went with a charter and stayed at the Best Western. It's a short stroll from the Best Western to the harbor each day.

I thought I'd add this "tidbit" of info too!
First time I went to Kodiak (2010), the kid booked me on America Airlines DFW to ANC.
Then booked me on Ravn Air ANC to ADQ.
All connections went well with no problems.
When I went back in 2012, I did the same thing!
WRONG!
We got fogged in on Kodiak for 6 extra days!
Ravn got us to ANC finally, but we had missed our AA flight!
Therefore, there was a $500 "rebook" fee from ANC to DFW!
Forewarned, when we went up on 2015, I booked Alaska Air the entire route. No more "rebook" fees due to unexpected delays!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/11/22
In the short time I was there i ran into a guy who sold me a Dodge truck 25 years ago.

Revenge is dish best served cold...
Posted By: JeffA Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/11/22
I just use the waxed fish boxes with a plastic bag liner.
Flown a couple hundred pounds of mixed Reds/Kings from King Salmon AK to Tampa FL every year for about the last 20.

Worse case, a few filets on top a box might be getting soft enough to be able to bend them a little. I think it's pretty cold in those baggage compartments on the planes.

Just have a freezer cold and ready at your destination!

Costs go about like Sitka Deer exsplained.

Note: My boxes of fish come out of a -30 freezer just before I head to the airport.
Results would differ with barely frozen fish.
Posted By: deflave Re: Two Rednecks Go To Kodiak - 07/11/22
That halibut looks killer.
© 24hourcampfire