Home
Posted By: Jahrs Shower/Tub Valve question - 06/27/22
Is a valve similar across the board or are there good brands and ones to stay away from? I am replacing all quest pipes in my home and will have the wall behind ghe shower (single handle) opened up to replace the lines with Pex.
The valve was replaced 10 years ago but it’s never worked that well in my opinion (Drips from tub faucet some when shower is on) it’s a Kohler valve and trim. Any recommendations or ones to stay away from?
Anything from a Big Box Store is junk.

You want it to last and function properly, you gotta pay.
I have Deltas in 2 showers. The handles feel loose but they don't leak and parts are easy to replace.
Deltas are fine like RC said parts are readily available
In general, there are 2 types of valves. The lowest priced and much more common is the pressure balancing valve. It balances the pressure from hot and cold so if someone flushes the toilet when you're showering, you don't get a blast of hot water. When the cold pressure drops from the flush, it instantly reduces the hot to match. With these, when you turn on the valve, you get full pressure from the start. You turn the valve to control the temp but not the pressure. It's full pressure or none.
The Thermostatic type is considerably more expensive. It allows you to control both temp and pressure.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Shower/Tub Valve question - 06/27/22
When I looked into it a few years back, Moen and Delta were the two “biggies”. There’s plenty of other cheaper ones they you may, or may not, be able to get parts for. I know there’s some more expensive, as well, but Delta and Moen can be found at most any plumbing supply store.

Of the two, “most” of what I read seemed to give the nod to Delta. Some seemed to think the Moen valve cartridges were more likely to be a removal problem. We’ve got a Moen in the house, that had a cartridge swap with no issues 2-3 years ago.

With that said, I used Delta in the cabin when I renovated it 2 years ago.

Obviously, I’m no plumbing expert. Just giving you the info I came across when I was researching it for myself a few years back.
I’d buy it at a supply house vs a box store but probably not a big deal.
Posted By: rong Re: Shower/Tub Valve question - 06/27/22
Delta or Moen are good,
You really do get what you pay for.
I like those brands as mentioned,parts are pretty available,most of the time they will send out replacement parts no charge.(sometimes)
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Shower/Tub Valve question - 06/27/22
As Rock Chuck discussed the pressure balance shower valve is how I would go. Also Kolher, Delta, Moen, T&S Brass, etc. all have residential grade and commercial/premium grade. It is worth the extra expense to go with the good stuff, in my opinion.

Go to your local Ferguson Enterprises, there will be one near you in NC somewhere, and ask to speak to one of their inside salesmen and get him to show you the good stuff.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Shower/Tub Valve question - 06/27/22
Replaced an old corroded Delta about ten years ago with an American Standard from Lowes. Works great, no complaints.
Posted By: hanco Re: Shower/Tub Valve question - 06/27/22
Moen posi-temp, easy to swap cartridge every ten years or so. I like them, put them in the houses I did.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Shower/Tub Valve question - 06/27/22
Originally Posted by hanco
Moen posi-temp, easy to swap cartridge every ten years or so. I like them, put them in the houses I did.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Koehler is good to, As well has Delta.
Kohler, Delta or Moen. Moen Posi-temp valves have a bad habit of cartridges sticking and breaking when extracting, but otherwise are GTG.
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Shower/Tub Valve question - 06/28/22
First thank you for all the great advice, I really do appreciate it. Second if I go with a commercial type can it be universal or does it need to match the shower lever/handle?
Originally Posted by steve4102
Anything from a Big Box Store is junk.

You want it to last and function properly, you gotta pay.
This.

Go to a Ferguson, Neenan, Winnelson or other plumbing supply house.

Junk from box stores may look the same but put a blend valve from each in your hands and you can immediately just tell the difference.
My suggestion would be pay a little extra and stay away from the chain stores like Lowe's, Home Despot, McCoys, etc.
Find an established plumbing supply store.
Get your finish parts there. If one goes bad, you KNOW where to find parts.

Analogy - you don't NEED a Rolls Royce to get to the prom....but Granny's '64 Ford Falcon ain't the chariot of choice either.
Moen, Delta and Kohler are all acceptable. Just be sure the faucets have a brass body.

The longevity of washers and seals depends on the source of your water.

I went to Morris Supply in Wichita Falls, Texas..
Showed the guy my valve body and he reached onto a pegboard and handed me the valves.
"Are you sure? Mine don't have that little gasket."
"Yes it does."
"No, it doesn't."
"Trust me. It does!"

Guess what?
I needed those little gaskets! LOL!

Don't buy plumbing supplies from a multipurpose store.

Always puzzled me!
Lowe's sells those little sheds out front for $2150. You can go inside and spend $2150 and have nearly twice the building!
In today's lumber prices, that may be $21K! LOL!
Posted By: hanco Re: Shower/Tub Valve question - 06/28/22
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Kohler, Delta or Moen. Moen Posi-temp valves have a bad habit of cartridges sticking and breaking when extracting, but otherwise are GTG.

I put heat proof grease on the cartridge when I installed the valve, good puller helps a lot.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Shower/Tub Valve question - 06/28/22
If you buy Moen, if anything ever goes wrong, you get free replacement parts. This includes cartridges, handles, trim, anything. If the finish gets crappy or starts chipping, they will send you replacements.
I have used their warranty many times and they are always helpful and efficient. They never question it or ask for proof of purchase.
Grohe thermostatic, if you want something that works well and lasts.
Posted By: GreggH Re: Shower/Tub Valve question - 06/28/22
Delta. Never had a problem with them. However, parts are everywhere. Get it from a plumbing supply house.

GreggH
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Shower/Tub Valve question - 06/28/22
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by bruinruin

I put heat proof grease on the cartridge when I installed the valve, good puller helps a lot.

Many of the stuck cartridges are likely from the plumber not removing the cartridge while sweating the valve and fittings together,

The heat from the torch burns the factory grease right out of there.

Crimp joints would be a different story.
Posted By: Longbob Re: Shower/Tub Valve question - 06/28/22
Good advice from several. Since you are replacing all the plumbing to feed the shower you might consider having the handle in a convenient place near the entrance of the shower so you can start warming it up without getting wet before you get in. We did that on our shower and it was one of the best ideas our plumber had.
Posted By: hanco Re: Shower/Tub Valve question - 06/28/22
Originally Posted by Longbob
Good advice from several. Since you are replacing all the plumbing to feed the shower you might consider having the handle in a convenient place near the entrance of the shower so you can start warming it up without getting wet before you get in. We did that on our shower and it was one of the best ideas our plumber had.

Yes, smart damn plumber!!
You alway can tell a plumber but you can’t tell him much!
© 24hourcampfire