Home
Posted By: Krazi Math challenged - 06/30/22
Have 700 s/f of yard I need to fill 4" deep with topsoil. Sold by cubic yard I assume. How many yards of topsoil do I need?
Go!
Posted By: Longbob Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
8.64 Cubic yards. So 9 cubic yards I would say.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22

Beat me to it.

My concrete calculator was running a little slow tonight.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
Originally Posted by Krazi
Have 700 s/f of yard I need to fill 4" deep with topsoil. Sold by cubic yard I assume. How many yards of topsoil do I need?
Go!
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
Go!
You don’t vote, do you?
Posted By: Krazi Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
Thanks. I was thinking 6-8. Wasn't too far off.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
Thanks. I was thinking 6-8. Wasn't too far off.
“Thinking” , but not calculating, good job.

You don’t vote I hope.
Posted By: hanco Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
700x.33= 231 cubic feet divided by 27= 8.55 cubic yards
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
By the time you spread it out and wet it down, I'd get 10 yards.
I was thinking! but not calculating! Remembering about how much I took off and put on the trailer would be about how much topsoil I would need to put back on the trailer to be close.
Posted By: Heeler Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
Originally Posted by martinstrummer

Yep, always gotta figure shrink/swell into the equation.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
You need a dump truck load.
Posted By: kelbro Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
It's always 6 or 7 more bags than you bought the first trip.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
Once you settle on how many yards you need - how much you wanna bet first place you go will sell by the ton??
Posted By: tomt53 Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
Originally Posted by martinstrummer

You guys are forgetting about compaction you will need 10.5-11 yards. Years ago I found out the hard wat.
Posted By: las Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
I'm doing some concrete work. Math made easy....

I told the contractor what I wanted to do, he told the concrete company, they calculated it (using an app, no doubt) and delivered just enough concrete there was just enough left over to erect two barrier posts made of abs sewer pipe (left-over) to protect my electric meter, which I've almost backed into a few times. I "calculated" it was cheaper to do that than what the electric boys would charge me to fix up the meter/line should I damage it.....and had the fore-thought to prep for any left-over 'crete..

When they deliver the next pour in a few weeks, I think I'll prep in front of the garage doors for same... tired of sand/gravel to be swept out....and no sense dumping left-over 'crete somewhere else in the yard, eh?

Reading up in my copy of "Math for Idiots", and running the nummers was way too hard..... smile
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
Go!

Sold by the ton typically... not the yard.
https://www.gigacalculator.com/calculators/soil-calculator.php
Posted By: losttrail60 Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
Topsoil around here is all sold by the yard. Bark, landscape rock, etc... all the same by the yard.
Get them to tailgate and run it if you can... save you some time on spreading.

Or 3-4 small piles per load.

Around here it would be two loads at $300 per load... make for 12 or 14 tons.

Try to get it dry if you can manage.
Posted By: las Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
Originally Posted by losttrail60
Topsoil around here is all sold by the yard. Bark, landscape rock, etc... all the same by the yard.

loader bucket....nominally bty, tho. who is measuring? Like 'bender said - get a "10 yard" truck load.

Cool...

Yard is convertible to tons pretty easy. Calculators all over the web.

Less cheating by weight.

I get very little product by the yard anymore (concrete being the main exception).
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
Go!

Not trying to insult anybody, just throwing some education out there to explain how its arrived-it is all about getting units the same, make it apples to apples and not apples to oranges to bananas. Multiple ways around the barn on this one to get to the final answer-

A yard is a volume measurement (length x width x height). You've already got the area measurement of length x width (700 square foot). So you just have to multiply 700 times your height of 4". But 700 is in square feet and 4 is in inches. So, convert 4" to feet, 4 divided by 12 is .333333 feet. 700 sq ft x .333333 feet= 233.3333333 cubic feet. (or, just divide 700 by 3)

Now the problem is convert 233.33 cubic feet to cubic yards.

A yard is 3'. A cubic yard is 3' by 3' by 3'. (3x3x3) or 27 cubic feet per yard.

233.33333 cubic feet divided by 27 cubic feet per yard = 8.64 yards

700/3=233.33

233.33/27=8.64
Originally Posted by las

loader bucket....nominally bty, tho. who is measuring? Like 'bender said - get a "10 yard" truck load.

If the driveway/yard will take it... we have small and large trucks here in VA... I usually got single axle loads...

In WV... triple axle... maxed.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Cool...

Less cheating by weight.

I get very little product by the yard anymore (concrete being the main exception).

I like all the garden centers around here selling mulch, sand, gravel, dirt, etc 'by the scoop'.

Well, how big is your scoop? "I don't know, just a scoop full."

Is that a heaping scoop or a leveled off scoop? "just a scoop full"
Ya I not in a big hurry. Once I get it leveled off and settled I plan to plant grass. Summer in Iowa not a good time to start it. Last time I did that the city called to see if I had a water leak
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Cool...

Less cheating by weight.

I like all the garden centers around here selling mulch, sand, gravel, dirt, etc 'by the scoop'.

Well, how big is your scoop? "I don't know, just a scoop full."

Is that a heaping scoop or a leveled off scoop? "just a scoop full"

Yepp...

Ya either roll with it because you need to mulch... or buy pallet loads at Lowes or HD.

FYI... pallet mulch is often cheaper when they run the 4/$10 deals. Most don't realize this.

So be it...

Hell... Walmart shipped me 25 large boxes of 10-10-10 fertilizer (#40 bags) cheaper than a bulk load would have been.

Free Shipping on a 1/2 ton of fertilizer... Idiots.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
Originally Posted by las
I'm doing some concrete work. Math made easy....

I told the contractor what I wanted to do, he told the concrete company, they calculated it (using an app, no doubt) and delivered just enough concrete there was just enough left over to erect two barrier posts made of abs sewer pipe (left-over) to protect my electric meter, which I've almost backed into a few times. I "calculated" it was cheaper to do that than what the electric boys would charge me to fix up the meter/line should I damage it.....and had the fore-thought to prep for any left-over 'crete..

When they deliver the next pour in a few weeks, I think I'll prep in front of the garage doors for same... tired of sand/gravel to be swept out....and no sense dumping left-over 'crete somewhere else in the yard, eh?

Reading up in my copy of "Math for Idiots", and running the nummers was way too hard..... smile
Definitely pour an apron. And not a 4 footer like mine.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
math is hard - chatty cathy 1960
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: Math challenged - 06/30/22
A “yard” of soil, concrete, etc, covers 81 square feet using a 4” depth.
© 24hourcampfire