Home
Posted By: Stan V Biltong - 07/01/22
Never made it before. Anyone make their own? I'm looking to start with beef then f/up with venison later this year.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Biltong - 07/01/22
Our preacher spent 30 years in S.A. as a missionary. His sons grew up eating biltong with their friends. One of the sons still makes biltong out of much of his venison here in the U.S. each fall.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Biltong - 07/01/22
I had to in Africa and it smelled bad and tasted bland.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Biltong - 07/01/22
So what’s the difference between biltong and other sun-dried jerky? Does African fly schitt taste different than North American fly schitt?😱
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Biltong - 07/01/22
Originally Posted by Pappy348
So what’s the difference between biltong and other sun-dried jerky? Does African fly schitt taste different than North American fly schitt?😱
lol
Posted By: akrange Re: Biltong - 07/01/22
It’s all in the Seasoning..
We have the Luxury of Seasoning..
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Biltong - 07/01/22

One of many reasons the plains Indians of North America didn’t have teeth or live much past 30 years old. Just go to the local “C” store and get some “Old Trapper” peppered jerky and you will save money and still be able to eat the meat…
Posted By: Stan V Re: Biltong - 07/01/22
Ya think? grin

I like jerky, but biltong looks easy enough to make and eats easier.

I doubt indians had toothbrushes either.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Biltong - 07/01/22
I used to make it with the recipe that was in the back of one of the Capstick books. I’ve been thinking about making some more if I could find my copy of that book.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Biltong - 07/01/22
Following
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Biltong - 07/01/22
I was going to give it a try once, but decided the weather is way too humid here for it to dry properly. I guess I’ll stick to making jerky in the dehydrator.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Biltong - 07/01/22
Originally Posted by shrapnel

One of many reasons the plains Indians of North America didn’t have teeth or live much past 30 years old. Just go to the local “C” store and get some “Old Trapper” peppered jerky and you will save money and still be able to eat the meat…

I made a batch of pemmican one time and shredded the jerky in a food processor instead of beating it with a rock. The shredded meat was just like the jerky “snuff” my grandson likes. Pretty tasty actually.

The pemmican was pretty good too. I used processed suet, not homemade.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Biltong - 07/01/22
Originally Posted by shrapnel
One of many reasons the plains Indians of North America didn’t have teeth or live much past 30 years old.

These guys must have been outliers. Here they were prob’ly around 50. Some years later the guy sitting down was gonna lead the mid-winter breakout from Ft Robinson, Neb, in the middle of a blizzard yet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: EdM Re: Biltong - 07/01/22
Just buy this.

https://nmlbeefjerky.com/
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Biltong - 07/01/22
Biltong is usually air dried instead of smoke/heat.

I grab a bag of this pretty regular-

https://stryve.com/products/original-sliced-beef-biltong

They leave some of the fat on. It’s good.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Biltong - 07/01/22
I've had it SA, it was ok but I'll stick to jerky.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Biltong - 07/01/22
My son made some a couple years ago with venison. It turned out very good.
Posted By: haverluk Re: Biltong - 07/01/22
I make it a few times a year from beef bottom round and venison hams. I make mine spicy and it’s awesome IMO.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Biltong - 07/01/22
Originally Posted by Stan V
I doubt indians had toothbrushes either.
Well they weren't around long enough to develope them. whistle
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Biltong - 07/02/22
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

100%
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Biltong - 07/02/22
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

100%

100% again
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Biltong - 07/02/22
I've been to Africa a number of times, and eaten biltong made from a bunch of different animals by a bunch of different people. It varies even more than jerky in the U.S., but in general I really like biltong, partly because unlike jerky (especially some commercial jerky) it's typically not as salty, or smoked until it's sometimes almost unchewable. The seasonings are generally more subtle than in jerky (such as coriander), and as somebody already noted biltong is usually sun-dried, which tends to reduced toughness.

On my first Cape buffalo hunt in the Okavango Delta of Botswana, a lot of the meat from both my bull and my hunting partner's was sun-dried in camp, and a bale of it about as big as an oil drum sat between me and one of the guides when we sat in the "high seat" in the back of the Toyota Land Cruiser during the several-hour drive back to the airport in Maun. I took advantage of this on occasion, and it was pretty darn good, despite the lack of salt and spicy seasoning often found in American jerky.
Posted By: Stan V Re: Biltong - 07/02/22
Was going through Slice of the Wild and saw your better half's recipe for biltong. It brought to mind Capstick's love of biltong so I've been thinking about this for a couple of days now. But, I can't recall a recipe in one of Cap's books for biltong as has been mentioned above. Anyway, it seems like a good idea for venison along with sausage making so I'll give this a shot.
© 24hourcampfire