Home
Posted By: IZH27 Boots made well. - 07/03/22
I’ve always enjoyed seeing a true craft carried out. I like nice things and if I can afford it prefer to buy nicer stuff. I haven’t yet been able to afford a pair of Nicks (or other hand made) boots. I may talk myself into it though.

I’ve watched several of their videos, the latest was a rebuild of some boots sent in that were in pretty rough shape. I find it relaxing and a simple pleasure to watch this process. Beginning to end, step by step until well made functional product sits there to be enjoyed and used.

Hope you enjoy nerding on this video like I do. Happy 4th!

Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Boots made well. - 07/03/22
Amazing.

What I can’t figure out is how whatever wooden form they’re nailing the leather upper and lower to is removed.

Haven’t checked pricing, but I’m sure with that expertise, they’re worth it
Posted By: rong Re: Boots made well. - 07/03/22
pretty neat,
they didn't look like 10 year old Indonesia kids
Posted By: skeen Re: Boots made well. - 07/03/22
Man, I bought a pair of Nick's BuilderPros. Now I don't wear boots for a livin' no more, just hunting. But when they say they're made well - no argument here.

If there is a nuclear war and mankind is extinguished, two things remaining will be cockroaches and Nick's boots. I believe you would break-in cement shoes easier, quicker, and less painfully than breaking in their boots. whistle
If you're a "boot nerd" like one of my sons, Rose Anvil is a cool YouTube channel to subscribe to.

Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Boots made well. - 07/03/22
Ill have to find the name,

There a YouTube channel of Two brothers that rework shoes.

Pretty interesting watching their craft.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Probably Trenton and Heath. It's cool watching them too.

https://www.youtube.com/c/TrentonHeath/videos
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Boots made well. - 07/03/22
Skeen, posted the same time as you....

Trenton and Heath

Originally Posted by skeen

Here's a video of their boot collaboration with Nick's boots. More of a "lifestyle" boot, I think they call 'em.

Posted By: Pat85 Re: Boots made well. - 07/03/22
I believe you would break-in cement shoes easier, quicker, and less painfully than breaking in their boots. whistle

You ain’t lying, once broken in they are the most comfortable boots on my feet.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Boots made well. - 07/03/22
Wow
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Boots made well. - 07/03/22
Can’t afford good boots???? That’s completely wrong and somthing just in your head
I have been wearing Wesco boots they have been the absolutely the cheapest boot I ever bought
I used to wear out a 200 dollar set of redwings every year
Ponied up and bought a pear of Wesco s and wear them every mini it of every day for tha lase 5 years farming feeding cattle cutting firewood hunting
Wife gives me hell at times when we go somewhere I still lace up my Wesco s they are more comfortable than any shoe period
Just do it you will never regret it for one second
Wesco nicks viberg toss a coin. They will take some break in so be prepared
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Boots made well. - 07/03/22
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Can’t afford good boots???? That’s completely wrong and somthing just in your head
I have been wearing Wesco boots they have been the absolutely the cheapest boot I ever bought
I used to wear out a 200 dollar set of redwings every year
Ponied up and bought a pear of Wesco s and wear them every mini it of every day for tha lase 5 years farming feeding cattle cutting firewood hunting
Wife gives me hell at times when we go somewhere I still lace up my Wesco s they are more comfortable than any shoe period
Just do it you will never regret it for one second
Wesco nicks viberg toss a coin. They will take some break in so be prepared
100% agree... My Wesco "Packers" last me 7 to 8 yrs (wear them every day)... Then buy a new pair or send the old ones back and they will rebuild them... Last new pair cost $375 from one of their dealers... Rebuilding is about $200 or less?... No break in issues for me with Wesco's either... Whites and nick's are a bitch to break in... Last pair i finally took a baseball bat and broke that arch down... Also that arch supporting forward heel can be dangerous on ice... Feet will go right out from under you... Other than that, They're built like a Brick Schithouse!...
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Boots made well. - 07/03/22

Here's a video of their boot collaboration with Nick's boots. More of a "lifestyle" boot, I think they call 'em.

I certainly could live with the heel on the ones on the video opener there rather than the "logger" heel on that pair shown in the other video.

I have no need for such tall heels anymore. Probably never did.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Boots made well. - 07/03/22
Skeen, posted the same time as you....

Trenton and Heath

Can they restore my Rocky boots that I bought back in 2000?? My toes get wet, now, when walking across damp grass.

laugh
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Boots made well. - 07/03/22
I’m with you Geno. 👍. I never did like the tall, narrower heels like the lower video and much prefer the work heel style of the opening video. My boots have a very similar sole and heel as my Romeos that I’ve worn for decades. The heel style in the opening video is a guaranteed twisted ankle for me.
Posted By: miguel Re: Boots made well. - 07/03/22
Those Wesco’s look really interesting. Thorogood, Irish Setter/Redwings only last me a year now, and it’s hit or miss if they are kind to my feet.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Boots made well. - 07/03/22
With the Wesco's (and other custom boots) you can order any heel height you want... I order my "Packers" 1 lift (1/4 inch) lower than standard... Feels perfect for me...
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Boots made well. - 07/03/22
That's a good option.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Boots made well. - 07/04/22
Brian the Bootmaker has a lot of good videos on YouTube of rebuilding lots of boots or building his own labeled stuff from scratch. Just a young kid that learned from the old guys.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Boots made well. - 07/04/22
Nick's Boots run $500-$565 from the quick glance I took.
Posted By: hardway Re: Boots made well. - 07/04/22
I always liked my Whites over the one pair of wescos I had . That being said, I don't do much manual labor now and am in the pickup almost all day.... I ordered a custom pair of Russell's that will hopefully be here in the next couple weeks.... I'm a sucker for high quality boots.
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: Boots made well. - 07/04/22
I love my Whites, have a pair of the Packers and a pair of the Farmer/Ranchers. They are a bit spendy but well worth the bucks if you wear them a lot. I've sent both pair in for rebuilding. Grease them up and keep them on boot dryers and you'll love them. JMHO
Posted By: slugflinger Re: Boots made well. - 07/04/22
Very cool vid.

Bet those folks have a grip like a bear trap. Wouldn't want to arm wrestle even with the ladies that work there.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Boots made well. - 07/04/22
I checked out the little that can be seen on how Wesco makes their boots. Looks like they have a few more machines involved.

Back in 97 I bought a pair of Vasque hiking boots when they were still made in Italy. I’ve had them resoled once. The leather is abused and worn down and the lining leather worn through. I paid just under 200$ then and feel I’ve gotten my money out of them. November will be 25 years.

Based on that experience and the obvious jump in quality and craftsmanship in these boots compared to the Vasque I may start saving up.

So far besides Nick’s Russel, White’s, Wesco have been mentioned. What other American handmade boots are in the running?
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Boots made well. - 07/04/22
Originally Posted by slugflinger
Very cool vid.

Bet those folks have a grip like a bear trap. Wouldn't want to arm wrestle even with the ladies that work there.

One of those girls latch onto ya and ya ain’t gonna get away.
Posted By: slugflinger Re: Boots made well. - 07/04/22
Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by slugflinger
Very cool vid.

One of those girls latch onto ya and ya ain’t gonna get away.

Ha ha! Yep, you're hers 'till she's done with you.
Posted By: PJ65 Re: Boots made well. - 07/04/22
Franks. Spokane WA
Posted By: devnull Re: Boots made well. - 07/04/22
That was excellent!! I wanted to know more about the company so I watched the "About Us" video:

I have always been a Danner stitchdown sole customer. I think that will change with Danner's prices going up and more options moving overseas. Thanks for posting this. Props to the guy that bought Nicks and making it an American success story. He took care of the employees first.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Boots made well. - 07/04/22
I've come to the conclusion that I would much rather spend twice as much money on American/Canadian made cowboy boots versus foreign made chit.

Anderson Bean makes a decent boot.
Posted By: Dumdum Re: Boots made well. - 07/04/22
I’ve been looking for a pair of good boots for awhile, but reading through this thread I’ve come to realize I’m a complete piker.

For me a pair of Doc Martens Winch ST boots would be a big step up. Hats off to y’all that live and die on your feet!
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Boots made well. - 07/05/22
Had a couple pairs of boots made for me by Russell Moccasin. No complaints.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Boots made well. - 07/05/22
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I've come to the conclusion that I would much rather spend twice as much money on American/Canadian made cowboy boots versus foreign made chit.

Anderson Bean makes a decent boot.

I like AB’s.

Anderson Bean, Rios of Mercedes’s and Olathe are the same bunch.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Boots made well. - 07/05/22
Yep, my dad is a fan of Olathe.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Yep, my dad is a fan of Olathe.

Seems are the Olathe models have the Stirrup heel (slanted) ?
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Boots made well. - 07/05/22
I'm a forester and wear a pair of JK Boots every day during the work week. Up and down and over all sorts of different terrain any given day. Same build quality and style as Nick's or Whites. I've had them 2 years now, still plenty of life left before a rebuild. Break in was a pain, but now they are the most comfortable pair of footwear I own. I chose JK over Nick's and Frank's. I liked their customer service and the build time was quicker. Plus they use a little heavier duty leather and have more build options.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Boots made well. - 07/05/22
Got a pair of handmade ML Leddy's setting in my closet.
Bought them about 20 years ago. $600
Seldom wear them.
In 2021, I had surgery to lock my ankle in place.

I'm scared to try them on now! 😥
Resoling a pair of AB.

Posted By: high_country_ Re: Boots made well. - 07/05/22
JK, Franks, Nicks, Hoffman, Whites....I have them all and they all are great. The first two are very small spin offs from the Nicks and Whites that made their own way... all are great quality.
© 24hourcampfire