Home
The neighbor has a new car with the push button starter and they just got their car car jacked! The wife went to Walgreens and walking to the car hit the door unlock on her key fob. Just then a man lurking near the car muscled her out of the way, jumped into the car, pushed the starter button and because the key was telling the car it was close by, it started and he drove away. Luckily they also had On-Star and the police stopped the car and calmed the driver down with a taser. The thief’s get away car was only good for a single start unless he had the key, but I thought that it was worth passing along for those people with the push buttons.
I hate the damn things.

That’s one thing I hadn’t thought about before though.
I was glad my 2020 F150 came without push-button start, and has a column-shifter too boot. I dislike automatic shifters on the center console in pickups, as they just take up space.
Our expedition won’t start unless the key is inside the vehicle. Like won’t start of my wife’s purse is right outside with the door open. Which sucks when it’s 106 and she’s moving like a turtle.
Wifes Mercedes is push-button, don't like it.
Originally Posted by Windfall
The neighbor has a new car with the push button starter and they just got their car car jacked! The wife went to Walgreens and walking to the car hit the door unlock on her key fob. Just then a man lurking near the car muscled her out of the way, jumped into the car, pushed the starter button and because the key was telling the car it was close by, it started and he drove away. Luckily they also had On-Star and the police stopped the car and calmed the driver down with a taser. The thief’s get away car was only good for a single start unless he had the key, but I thought that it was worth passing along for those people with the push buttons.
What car?I don't think that could happen in our Toyota.
The two "tricks" of the last 10-15yrs that I do appreciate are good back-up cameras and remote starting. It is nice to crank up your truck from 60-70 yards out and have the AC rolling cold when you climb in.
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter03
Our expedition won’t start unless the key is inside the vehicle. Like won’t start of my wife’s purse is right outside with the door open. Which sucks when it’s 106 and she’s moving like a turtle.

Mine's the same. I can start it - leave the car (it dings constantly) and it won't move till I'm back in the car with the key. Chrysler.

I don't mind the push button. I hate the dial gear selector.
Originally Posted by JPro
The two "tricks" of the last 10-15yrs that I do appreciate are good back-up cameras and remote starting. It is nice to crank up your truck from 60-70 yards out and have the AC rolling cold when you climb in.

Or get the heated seats and steering wheel going while you pack up your gear after a day in the stand.
Pretty simple process - https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...7412940/own-a-honda-vehicle#Post17412940
Can turn off proximity unlock and other from touch screen.

Bet most over 50 leave settings at default ( or whatever the salesman left em at ).
Keyless ignitions have caused insurance claims to sky rocket. The codes aren’t unique. Thieves now have devices so they can go to a parking lot, push a button, and drive away with any car that lights up.
Put your key in a Faraday cage when you don't need it to start/run the vehicle.

This is the one I bought for my wife: https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Faraday-TICONN-Premium-Protector/dp/B07MDF5TX9/ref=sr_1_19?crid=3BKG1FCYEK9NN&keywords=faraday+cage&qid=1657553562&sprefix=farada%2Caps%2C208&sr=8-19

My truck is 22 years old and doesn't have any of this crap.
By the way, if a thief wants your car, he's going to get it.
Wife’s last car had push start. She started the car went back in the house to get something and set her keys down. Went back out and drove an hour away with the car never alerting the key wasn’t close. Figured out shed lost her keys when she started home and couldn’t crank the car
Some pretty sketchy stories. Proximity keys work outside the vehicle to unlock/lock doors. Vehicles won’t start with keys outside vehicle- yes the vehicle can detect if keys are inside or outside the vehicle.

Love to see the data on insurance claims “sky rocketing”! How about the days when a slim Jim and a screw driver was all you needed.
We have it on a couple of our cars, to be honest I've never given it a thought. Both have GPS tracking, so I'm not too worried. GPS tracking is the chit, my old vette will alert me if goes outside an area I set, cheap insurance anymore. Aslo situational awareness, always look around when entering/leaving your vehicle.
when you get out of range of the key it won't start again..
Originally Posted by JPro
The two "tricks" of the last 10-15yrs that I do appreciate are good back-up cameras and remote starting. It is nice to crank up your truck from 60-70 yards out and have the AC rolling cold {or heater goin'}when you climb in.
I use the remote start 95% of the time...
Here's an interesting PSA - Keep your keys away from toddlers. My GF's two year old nephew was playing with mom's keys when he managed to start their car in a closed garage. It was purely luck that the husband come home some time later to discover the running vehicle. Fortunately, mom and toddler were safe and not flatlined, but could have ended much differently.
We don’t have an in the car push button starter, only the one on the key fob. It needs the key in the ignition to get it out of park and unlock the steering wheel and the key won’t come out of the ignition if it is in neutral. That was our Florida across the street neighbor and I don’t remember the type of car it is, but could find out. Hard to believe that there aren’t some safeguards built into new cars that would prevent someone from driving away when the key is just close outside the car. Try it on your new car and let us know what happens.
Your neighbors story has some holes in it. Perhaps he also grabbed her purse with the keys in it.
Im in good shape

I dont have anything with push button ignition
Or
The payment that comes with it

👍😁

I have a push button starter switch in my vehicle. I got it at Napa.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Im in good shape

I dont have anything with push button ignition
Or
The payment that comes with it

👍😁

I unfortunately had to buy something new.

Warranty, AC, no having to wrench weekly or monthly.

Is kinda nice, even w push button start and payments.
Half way paid off.
Originally Posted by Hemi
Some pretty sketchy stories. Proximity keys work outside the vehicle to unlock/lock doors. Vehicles won’t start with keys outside vehicle- yes the vehicle can detect if keys are inside or outside the vehicle.
This.

-Ken
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper

Friend with old Ford dent side. Wired his starter to the old hi/low beam switch on the floor. Give it a stomp/double tap, truck fired up.
IMHO, it’s just another POS electronic system that will fail at the most inopportune time possible. Probably next to impossible to troubleshoot even with a code reader.
Originally Posted by kendibs
This.

-Ken

" Wont " aint the same as " isnt supposed to " LOL
This.

-Ken

Nope. I have a 2020 Chevy Trail Boss truck with push button start. The truck will start with the keys outside of the truck but in close proximity.
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper

Friend with old Ford dent side. Wired his starter to the old hi/low beam switch on the floor. Give it a stomp/double tap, truck fired up.

LOL. I understand how & why, but dangerous.

Not good to bypass the neutral safety switch.

-Ken
Originally Posted by losttrail60
This.

-Ken

Nope. I have a 2020 Chevy Trail Boss truck with push button start. The truck will start with the keys outside of the truck but in close proximity.

Mine requires the brake depressed - odd the Chevy doesn't.
My 52 Buick had a push button start and I didn't mind it. My '51 chevy has the starter button on the floor. My new Mazda has a push button start which works a lot like the one in the Buick. The only difference that I can see is, if the Buick's messed up, a replacement was about 2 bucks. I hate to think what the Mazda's would be. Mazda has an electric parking brake; so does my 32 year old F800. I'm pretty sure they work a little differently though. GD
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by losttrail60
This.

-Ken

Mine requires the brake depressed - odd the Chevy doesn't.

Having the keys outside of the truck has nothing to do with pressing the brake. I can put the key faub 2 feet away on the ground. Get in the truck, press the brake and it will start. I have not tried driving away from the keys, not sure what happens then.
I like the push button. My biggest concern would be replacement cost of the fob.
One of our vehicles has it. The brake has to be depressed but I’m not sure about the inside/outside interlock. I’ll have to do a little reading on it.

I thought of something the other day…what happens with locked doors if the key fob battery completely dies?
This.

-Ken

Remote start is just exactly that - remote.

Mine works 30+ feet away from inside the house. Outside, it works more than 50+ feet away.

If the engine is running and you leave the vehicle with the fob, lots of warning bells and dash info is displayed. Hard to ignore.
I hate that schit with a passion. What problem is this supposed to be solving?
Originally Posted by navlav8r
One of our vehicles has it. The brake has to be depressed but I’m not sure about the inside/outside interlock. I’ll have to do a little reading on it.

I thought of something the other day…what happens with locked doors if the key fob battery completely dies?
There is probably an old fashioned key hidden inside your fob.
Originally Posted by navlav8r

A few years ago at a dealer I worked at, a lady walked
into the service office sobbing that she was locked
out of her car, and the "clicker " wouldn't work, and
BOOHOO BOOHOO she couldn't get in.
The shop foreman walked next door to the shopping
center where she was parked, and tried the " clicker "
and the batteries were for sure dead.
He stuck the key in the door and unlocked it and
got inside to see if something might be obviously
wrong, and she started hollering
HOW DID YOU GET IN THERE? ! ? ! ?

Modern people have zero coping skills
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
I hate that schit with a passion. What problem is this supposed to be solving?

It save the "effort" of putting a key in the keyhole. It also introduces yet more layers of electronic bullshît that can and will go wrong.
© 24hourcampfire