Home
Posted By: Borealis Bob VA Question - 07/20/22
I have been taking care of my brother at home (Parkinson's) for some time but now is the time for a nursing home. This nasty disease is taking him downhill so quickly over the past 60 days that it is no longer safe for him to be here because of numerous, an frequent falls and serious cognitive decline. I understand the VA coverage for that (he has 100% disability) but have another question: would his disability compensation continue even if he were in a VA approved nursing home? I have been told yes, and then no, by people in different affiliated departments and services.

I have spent the last week trying to get definitive answers, to no avail. The health care portion of the VA does not know and suggested I call the benefits department. One person said they did not know, so I called again in hopes of getting someone else. That person told me that they do not accept the Health Care POA on file with the health department. They sent me yet another form to fill out, which likely take weeks for them to process. A bit of a clusterfuck.

So, does anyone here have any experience with this? I have been waiting for return calls, but none so far. Getting more than a little bit frustrated.

Thanks in advance.
Bob
Posted By: KentuckyMountainMan Re: VA Question - 07/20/22
My father continued to recieve his full 100% disablity cks while he was in a VA Nursing home and after thay put him a privite home ....
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: VA Question - 07/20/22
My senator can cut through VA red tape like a weedeater through tissue paper, but I live in America. Not sure how the People's Republic of Illinois handles things. None of the fat cat bureaucrats at VA like to tangle with Marcia Blackburn.
Posted By: strikeu Re: VA Question - 07/20/22
this might help.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/veterans-eligibility-va-nursing-home-care.html
Posted By: strikeu Re: VA Question - 07/20/22
and this

VA Info
Posted By: Borealis Bob Re: VA Question - 07/20/22
Thanks, Stikeu. I've read that link before, but it mentions pensions, not disability payments which, IIRC, are considered separate issues.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: VA Question - 07/21/22
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
My senator can cut through VA red tape like a weedeater through tissue paper, but I live in America. Not sure how the People's Republic of Illinois handles things. None of the fat cat bureaucrats at VA like to tangle with Marcia Blackburn.

I have known several people who got no answers from the VA until they contacted their Senator or Representative. Take Hotrod's advice.
Posted By: LoadClear Re: VA Question - 07/21/22
My GF is a former VHA chief, and current Senior Veterans Service Rep with the VA, I told her the story, and she will look into it. She said she might need your personal contact info for further investigation.

PM me for details
Posted By: Borealis Bob Re: VA Question - 07/21/22
LoadClear.....Thanks so much for the offer. Tried a PM but it does not seem to work.
Posted By: LoadClear Re: VA Question - 07/21/22
PM received and info forwarded to my GF
Thank you !!
LoadClear....she emailed and just called me with the exact information I have been trying to glean for some time.
Thank you so much for going out of your way to help. Thank her as well. She was delightful....I'm thinking you are a lucky man.

Bob
Posted By: DANNYL Re: VA Question - 07/21/22
What's the verdict for possible future help
Posted By: LoadClear Re: VA Question - 07/22/22
Originally Posted by DANNYL
What's the verdict for possible future help
I don’t know (and can’t know- she can’t talk to me about work due to HIPPA), my understanding is that she pointed him towards someone who can help… she also told him to contact her directly for follow up help if needed.
Posted By: rlott Re: VA Question - 07/22/22
Two words: Law Yer.
© 24hourcampfire