Home
Posted By: KC Help me make a tough decision - 07/21/22
I own a german shorthair pointer that is 14 years old, named Pepper. She's been a good dog although hyper. I guess they all are.

She has a soft tissue carcinoma on her left side about the size of a softball. The Vet sent a biopsy to the lab to confirm her diagnosis. The vet said that she could remove the carcinoma but it may have roots that have already penetrated into her interior and she can't remove the roots. Pepper is losing control of her back legs and she's losing her hearing.

The Vet says that she will eventually die in pain. I hate to see her in pain. So what do I do? Do I put her down now to prevent the pain from occurring? Or do I wait until she obviously is in pain and then put her down?

This is a tough decision for me. Please help me make the right decision.

This what she looked like when she was a pup.
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...2898/pepper-2010#lg=12622898&slide=0
She goes to sleep when she starts being unhappy living.

Its too bad they dont treat humans as well as pets.
Originally Posted by KC
I own a german shorthair pointer that is 14 years old, named Pepper. She's been a good dog although hyper. I guess they all are.

She has a soft tissue carcinoma on her left side about the size of a softball. The Vet sent a biopsy to the lab to confirm her diagnosis. The vet said that she could remove the carcinoma but it may have roots that have already penetrated into her interior and she can't remove the roots. Pepper is losing control of her back legs and she's losing her hearing.

The Vet says that she will eventually die in pain. I hate to see her in pain. So what do I do? Do I put her down now to prevent the pain from occurring? Or do I wait until she obviously is in pain and then put her down?

Man, KC, beautiful picture and dog.

What a tough decision. Me, personally, I'd put her down now.

It's been my experience, limited as it is, when they start to lose their back legs, their quality of life goes downhill quickly and accelerates rapidly.

The last one we put down, the vet actually came to our house and afterwards transported the body away for cremating. If your vet offers the same service, I highly recommend it.
Good dog or not. No way would I drop a pile of money on a 14 year old dog
Take her to her favorite place.

Feed her her favorite treats.

Take some pictures.

Scratch her in her favorite spots.

Send her on ta her next adventure.
Yes, get a vet to do it at your place.

Me.....I guess I tend to let them go for a while.
KC,

Sorry to hear about the pooch.

If she's still having good days, enjoy them until she isn't.

You mentioned you hate to see her in pain. You'll know when it's time.

Higgins
I would say, let her tell you when. Can she still move enough to get her where she wants to go with out too much pain?
I had a hunting dog that died from progressive kidney issues. Vets gave a similar outcome. The day he didnt get up from his bed when I opened the gun cabinet was the deciding factor for me.
Good Luck.
It’s tough to let them go but it’s not right to have them suffer because we aren’t ready to let go. If she’s losing control of her legs she’s struggling already. Love on her and say your goodbyes - 14 years has been a blessing to you both.
I don't mean to sound heartless, but personally, I wouldn't spend a large amount of money on the surgery. If the surgery can be done for a reasonable cost, I might go ahead and do it if it will give her another year or two, but if the carcinoma is aggressive and would prevent her from carrying on as normal, I would probably opt to put her down and spare her the pain. She is 14 years old and had a good run.

Good luck with your decision.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Help me make a tough decision - 07/21/22
You'll know when it's time.
When it is, get I done. Don't wait. That's selfish.

I take mine to the spot out in the fields and take care of it myself. But for some, that would be undoable
Dogs don't know what you know, so I'd just try to keep her comfortable as long as I could, and when she starts having pain, you'll know what to do. Maybe you could get the vet to give you some strong pain meds and/or some Trazodone to keep her quiet, to have on hand just in case you can't get to the vet quick enough. It is a tough decision, I've been there.
Originally Posted by RUM7
You'll know when it's time.
When it is, get I done. Don't wait. That's selfish.

I take mine to the spot out in the fields and take care of it myself. But for some, that would be undoable

I have one that's starting to struggle physically, but he's still a happy, happy dog. When the time comes, I have the spot picked out, we'll go for one more walk around the farm, and he'll get to stay at one of his favorite spots after that, watching over us.

I've had the vet put dogs down; it never felt right. This one I will have to do myself. I owe him that much.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Help me make a tough decision - 07/21/22
I feel the same way.
We went through that a few years ago. I gave my dog some of my prednisone everyday and it bought her some more happy days for a while.

Eventually the tumor got large enough it started blocking her stomach and she couldn't hold food down. It went quick from there and we knew within a day or so it was time for that last ride to the vet.

The prednisone may help for a few weeks but it's not a fix it just can make them more comfortable for a while.

Bb
My last shorthair got arthritis so bad that when she could not go up/down the 2 steps into the house anymore I made the call. Very sad day.... she was my dog before I met my wife and had her 13 years through marriage and the birth of my first child until she was about 4 years old. I just couldn't watch her in pain anymore. Tough decision but the right one in the end.
Originally Posted by strosfann
It’s tough to let them go but it’s not right to have them suffer because we aren’t ready to let go. If she’s losing control of her legs she’s struggling already. Love on her and say your goodbyes - 14 years has been a blessing to you both.

This is how I see it, too. Right ain't always easy. No one will ever convince me that dogs don't make our lives better.
I’ve let one fight too long and I regret it.

Tough decision.

If she is eating and trying you have to be the judge
Like Conrad, we have the vet come when we live where they will do it.

And, I have let them go in pain too long, for my own reasons. This one had pancreatitis and the vet said there was a chance she could recover with antibiotics and such. It didn't work.

when she was a healthy 12 years old or so.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This dog was not the same dog as the one above three years earlier

I still blame myself for letting her exist in pain longer than she had too.

Good luck with your decision.
When the bad days outnumber the good its time.

We have one that's getting close. She is still having 4 or 5 good to 1 bad but that could change tomorrow.
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I’ve let one fight too long and I regret it.

Tough decision.

If she is eating and trying you have to be the judge

Yep. I’ve done the same before. It’s a damn tough decision and both alternatives suck.

If I had to do it again, I’d follow Dutch’s advice.

Sorry you have to go through this.
I don't believe pets show pain like we do.
All they want to do is make us happy, to serve us the best as they can.

Saying that, when it's time, it's time for us to step up and let our best friend cross the rainbow bridge.
You will know the day. I’m sorry you are having to make this decision.

I had a black lab for 15 years. He had liver cancer and told me it was time. Prednisone and Caprovet helped for a while.
Let one go too long and you tend not to do it again.
Posted By: DMc Re: Help me make a tough decision - 07/21/22
Fug I hate threads like this. Glad it’s not a decision I have to make.
Sadly, it’s time to let that doggo go. 14 years is a pretty good run for a GSP. I feel for ya. Had to put down our English Pointer a few years ago. She made it to 16 and was a great dog.
I have a little bit different take on what needs doing.

Take her to her favorite place, and do her favorite things, assuming it's outdoors and out of town. When she isn't looking send her off with a small caliber rifle and bury her there. To a seasoned dog a Vet is a trip to The House of Pain in their minds.

I'm so darned sad for you both and have eyes full of sand.

Kindest Regards
and Condolences

Bruce
Originally Posted by jaguartx
She goes to sleep when she starts being unhappy living.

Its too bad they dont treat humans as well as pets.
My thoughts exactly!!
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I have a little bit different take on what needs doing.

Take her to her favorite place, and do her favorite things, assuming it's outdoors and out of town. When she isn't looking send her off with a small caliber rifle and bury her there. To a seasoned dog a Vet is a trip to The House of Pain in their minds.

I'm so darned sad for you both and have eyes full of sand.

Kindest Regards
and Condolences

Bruce

Sick.

I can’t imagine shooting my best friend and having that snapshot in my mind for eternity
I just had my old beagle put down a few months ago. She had a tumor on her side. They were going to remove it but they did an x/ray and it had gotten into her lungs. She was breathing short quick breaths. I think most dogs have a high pain threshold so once they start to show it they are really hurting. I thought about keeping her around longer but I just didn’t want her suffering. Had her the entire time I’ve been married and she saw us being home 3 babies.

It’s a tough thing to do but I would let her go if she’s in pain and that tumor is spread. Especially if she is having other age related health issues. We had a white German Shepherd when I was a kid. He got bad joints to the point one morning he was whimpering and couldn’t even stand up anymore. My dad felt really bad about waiting too long to let him go. I sure miss that one, I’ve never had another one like him.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Yes, get a vet to do it at your place.

^^^ this ^^^

Whatever your timing.
Sorry to hear this.
This is not an easy one. So sorry you are in this spot.
BTDT a number of times. Can’t think of a single pet that was put down “too soon”.

It’s because it’s such a hard decision that dogs are put down juust a little too late.

Wouldn’t expect the surgery to buy any time and would be unduly stressful and risky for a 14 year old dog.
You'll know when it's time and sorry.
Get pics of your dog's life in electronic format. Go online and order coffee mugs with your favorite photo(s).......have coffee with your dog long after they're gone.....

Did that with the fella in my avatar.......

When they cant get up, stay up, can no longer eat.....its time to send them on, they wont complain.

Sorry for the circumstances.
If it was me I would take her out for a special day and then put her down.

Good luck on a tough day.
What a sad situation.

Our 11yo GSP got acute myeloid leukemia. We could have spent 10k on chemo which would have given a few months it cruel too. Dr was amazed we picked it up so early as most come in and are put down immediately.

She had a wonderful month and when I took her on her last walk by the beachside and had to carry her back to the car we knew it was time.

She had a great life and that’s all we can wish for.

Godspeed.
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
No more wisdom than what’s been shared, KC. Just sorry you’re at the last step in the journey with her. Damn shame good dogs and their owners have such different lifespans.
Originally Posted by KC
=0
Put her down, the dog will suffer in pain awhile before she makes it obvious. I made that mistake with the horse I put down in February, should have done it in the fall.
Sorry you're going through this. KC. I know how hard it is.
Went through this last April. My GSP Max had a knot come up on his hip and foot. He was 11 years old. Vet said we could biopsy but odds are it was cancer. We let it run its course.
When Max started not eating well and started losing weight, I made the call. No need to waste away. At that point, a few days or weeks of painful living was not worth it.
Vet made it easy and peaceful.
Posted By: RicG Re: Help me make a tough decision - 07/21/22
My daughter has been a Vet for about 12 years. She will tell you that putting an animal down is the worst part of her job. She has three dogs at home. When it was time for a prior dog to go, she had to get a friend (Vet) to do it. Tore her up.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Sorry you're going through this. KC. I know how hard it is.

Indeed.

In my experience it's rare for a dog to die of natural causes in his or her sleep.

When we bring a puppy home we know this is what we're signing up for.

When she's in obvious chronic pain, it's time.
I'm sad to hear your buddy is on her way out.
She's a member of the family and you've shared some adventures so it's going to be a painful decision.
I don't wait too long once they turn a corner and start losing control.

Give her lots of treats and love and let her go....

Our latest to go loved hotdogs so that's what she got with love and no hidden pills!

Sorry my friend!
14 yrs is a good run.
A lifetime....
BTDT with the decision like many others on the thread.
😔
Best of luck with your decision, we all feel your pain.
Sad situation. I had a retriever that I lived with and hunted with from his 45 th day of life. He developed a bad hip at 10 years old and there wasn't anything to be done. I could tell he was in pain and the day finally can when he could not get in and out of the truck much less hunt. Even walking down the steps of my deck was working on him. I thought at first he was just getting older and maybe after hunts he was just a bit tired and sore. But as time went on it was evident it was more than that. The vet confirmed my fears. It was hard but after 11 years together I owed him a easy out. So I had him put down.

About two days later my girl friend at the time called me a said she saw an ad for chocolate labs in the next town over. She got me to go over to have a look. I picked one out and a few days later we picked him up. What a handful that little guy was. A lot different than my mellow old golden retriever. Keeping up with him did take my mind off my loss and the new dog ended up being a great one in the field. He loved to hunt.
He would go batsht crazy even when you got your hunting clothes out of the dryer and carried them to the closet.
Another example of decision by campfire. You bought the ticket for this trip14 years ago…time to visit the vet.

And no good Dog deserves to have their brains blown out by the hand they came to for a head rub. This isn’t the 1800’s. “Oh let’s go to a favorite spot and when you’re not looking I’ll blow your brains out buddy.” Some don’t deserve Dogs or guns.
Originally Posted by KC

Sounds like it's time ....... Buy another pup straight way.
Oh man, I truly feel for you. I dread the day that I have to make that decision with Shadow. 14 years old is the end of a dog's life. It's time to say good bye to your beloved friend. Most dogs are better than most people.
Originally Posted by battue
Another example of decision by campfire. You bought the ticket for this trip14 years ago…time to visit the vet.

And no good Dog deserves to have their brains blown out by the hand they came to for a head rub. This isn’t the 1800’s. “Oh let’s go to a favorite spot and when you’re not looking I’ll blow your brains out buddy.” Some don’t deserve Dogs or guns.

Agree on all counts.
I’m sorry your going through this my friend as I and many on this thread know the feeling all to well. I’ve been there more than I wanted and each time it gets harder, perhaps because we learn more to recognize and return the love they give us. Enjoy her while you can, she will let you know when she’s ready to say goodbye….
We lost our 14 1/2 year lab one month ago. She had several cancerous lumps removed over the years. As long as she was mobile, ate, drank, and wagged her tail all was good. One day she was unable. We knew it was time.
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Take her to her favorite place.

Feed her her favorite treats.

Take some pictures.

Scratch her in her favorite spots.

Send her on ta her next adventure.
This ^^^^^^^
Had a Australian Cattle Dog that I rescued as a young dog and when the time come that he couldn’t get up wife and I took him to vet and to be put down. Vet came in to give him the shot and I had to step out….wife was with him till he took his last breath. I waited out in parking lot and they brought him out in a blanket to take home and bury. On way home my wife said he was laying on the table and looked up and tears was running down his face….then he died and she took her hand and closed his eyes. You think they don’t have feeling…told my wife wish she had not told me that been several years now and it still haunts me thinking of that last moment he had.
We've had two put down over the past 18 months. They were 14 & 15 years. One my wife adopted when she first moved here and the other was a wedding present and wonderful golden retriever. They had been part of our family since before our son was born so it was hard for everyone; but... There comes a time when it is the right thing to do. At 14 years of age and with a tumor, keeping it alive is not doing it a favor. Do the right thing, try to ensure it has a few good days and put / have it put down painlessly or at least quickly.
Hate stuff like this. Either way, it won’t be easy.
Posted By: WMR Re: Help me make a tough decision - 07/21/22
It's probably time now, or very near it. You'll know. My Maggie is 15. Deaf as a post and half blind. She's "day to day", but happy for now. Considerations like how quickly your vet is available may figure in. Cancer often works quick and her time with you is probably measured in days or a few weeks. Sorry for your loss.
The call isn't hard to make.
It's the timing that's difficult.

When they can't get around? Time to go.
More bad days than good days? Time to go.
When upkeep costs more than food and normal care. Tine to go.

I have always hated to see the "cost" word thrown in, but I wasn't a doctor or lawyer, nor do I have a 6 digit retirement account.
It's just one of the factors I have no choice but to add to the calculation.

Sorry for your crisis, but I'm waiting for the "other shoe to drop" for my 10 year old Rotweiller.
Originally Posted by KC

Try and kill her with cheeseburgers in the time she has left wink . When she appears to be suffering from the cancer, put her to sleep.

Do your best not to be sad or anxious around her, they pick up on that. They don't know they are mortally ill, no need to tell them.
It’s time. Holding on when the prognosis is dim doesn’t make sense for the dog. Doing so becomes selfish.

Been there, lost both my little buddies at the same time. Similar ages, both had health/age issues. Had our vet come to the house. Broke my heart, but it was the right thing to do. Would do the same again.
Sorry this is the case. It's way to common. I have been through it myself several times and I have a Lab who will be going down this path within the next year or two. I feel your pain.

Really? My dogs have always disliked going to the vets. Letting someone else take care of my family isn't the way I live my life. I can definitely feel the pain and see why others choose a different way, but that's a pretty screwed up post.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

Really? My dogs have always disliked going to the vets. Letting someone else take care of my family isn't the way I live my life. I can definitely feel the pain and see why others choose a different way, but that's a pretty screwed up post.

I agree, and the response I erased earlier was not as subtle as yours. This really isn't the time or place for a pissing match, but I'll say this: I agree that to make a dog suffer through fear, stress and confusion by taking it to a vet because it alleviates YOUR anxiety and fears.... that's not the decision an adult makes.

Those of us who live farm life have to, as the time comes, put animals down. It's a mercy, and part of being a farmer by economic necessity. I love my old knucklehead almost as much as his father. I won't put him through the stress of the vet routine, he'll go by my hand where he's been happiest for 13 years of his life. My "feelings" about that don't matter, it's my responsibility.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Help me make a tough decision - 07/21/22
Only way I could shoot my dog is if he was hit by a car or mauled and was suffering horribly .

A slow painful death, I'd want the vet to come and I'd be in the room holding him when the drugs were given.

I don't want to even think about it, that dog is my right arm. I feel for the OP and anyone else who went thru it recently.

I put a dog down I had for 15 years 6 years ago and I cried like a baby for 2 hours. Still have a picture of him as my background on my phone.
KC I didnt read the whole thread so someone else may have already said it. The dog does not deserve to suffer for a single day. Have her put down peacefully. She would do the same for you if she could.
Originally Posted by ingwe
KC I didnt read the whole thread so someone else may have already said it. The dog does not deserve to suffer for a single day. Have her put down peacefully. She would do the same for you if she could.

I wonder about that a lot. Not trying to pick a fight. Just wondering.

My grandmother lived to be 104 years old. She was mostly blind with macular degeneration for years before she died. Her knees sounded like old rusty hinges when she walked. She had terrible arthritis.

She wouldn't have wanted to go a day sooner than she did. Loved the interaction.

A compassionate person would have clubbed her years before....but she didn't want that.
Good looking pup. Have any hunting pics can share?

Id try prednisone like someone mentioned and see how long she can live without pain and can still walk on her own. Then have the vet come out. Its worth the extra money for a house call.

Originally Posted by KC

And no good Dog deserves to have their brains blown out by the hand they came to for a head rub.

Agreed.

I use a bat.
His last morning, went peacefully to sleep with all our hands on him on his bed in the frontroom he grewup in.

YOU will know when it's time no matter what any of us post.

As long as my dogs would eat I’d try to keep them going.
Dogs don't benefit from suffering.
Wow, this is one of the hardest choices you'll ever make. Having just went through this lately, oh wait 2yrs ago or was it 3yrs. No matter how you chose to do this you will second guess your decision the rest of your life. Have done this dirty deed numerous times through life & still not sure I chose the best path. Good luck with your choice. My heart goes out to you. GWP 🐾👣🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
At 14 a larger dog is on borrowed time. We put Rex down at 14 having those same issues after the vet said that dogs are really good at disguising their pain. We had to ask ourselves if we were keeping our dog for the good of the dog or ourselves? Seeing him like that wasn't doing any of us any good. Decision made.
Posted By: okie Re: Help me make a tough decision - 07/21/22
Teri and I had the exact situation a few weeks ago KC cancer spreading causing weak hips slipping and falling in continence had the vet put her down before real pain began never an easy decision but we know it was right. She had a great life…
KC, I'm sorry to hear about your girl. It's hard to know what to do. They try so hard. For moments, they bounce back thanks to their tremendous spirit. When our ancestors plucked these wonderful creatures out of the wild and brought them under our care we set our mutual fates. This predicament is the price we pay for a dog's love. So many of us have been where you are and will be again. I try to remember that without us, in the wild, their fates would belong to a far more brutal master. You'll know when it's time. Godspeed to you both.

Brian
I messed up on the last one. Let him go too long. I still feel bad about it.

Anyway, sooner, rather than later.
They will do everything to protect you and make you happy. I believe we owe them the same. Don't make a good dog suffer for your feelings. It sucks.
I quail hunted for 25 years, usually had 6 to 10 dogs. I became attached to a few of them. I quit because I just could not lose another friend. It hurts as bad as losing family. I’ve had a couple of feral cats come up to the house, became attached to them, lost them too. I can’t lose another animal, so I have none. Just can’t.
KC I'm sorry to read about this, been through it a few times, the last one was the hardest for me. We could not get the vet to come to our house so I called Lap of Love. The guy that came out was a retired vet and a very compassionate person. We wanted our dog at the house with us so it worked out for the best. Good luck with your decision, as others have said you will know when it's time.

Oh you should be so proud of yourself, being the great family man that you are, by bragging on how you would shoot a family pet. It's the family thing to do...Be sure and do it in front of the kids..That should make them proud of Dad....Your a joke...
Dogs count on their owner to take care of them. When they can't go on any longer without being in pain and we let it continue we let them down.
Originally Posted by Dutch

I agree, and the response I erased earlier was not as subtle as yours. This really isn't the time or place for a pissing match, but I'll say this: I agree that to make a dog suffer through fear, stress and confusion by taking it to a vet because it alleviates YOUR anxiety and fears.... that's not the decision an adult makes.

Those of us who live farm life have to, as the time comes, put animals down. It's a mercy, and part of being a farmer by economic necessity. I love my old knucklehead almost as much as his father. I won't put him through the stress of the vet routine, he'll go by my hand where he's been happiest for 13 years of his life. My "feelings" about that don't matter, it's my responsibility.

You are correct, no time for a pissing match..However, none of mine had a problem going to the Vets...Where ever I took them, they trusted me that it was ok. All but one walked in and the other had to be carried. They didn't fight it..Why, because they trusted me. And I owed them the easiest way out. That's the adult decision.They were not farm animals...I've seen that side of life, first death I saw was chickens jumping around with no heads, pigs, etc, etc. Horses got a visit from the Vet.
Posted By: KC Re: Help me make a tough decision - 07/22/22
Pepper has moved on to the next level. Thanks for all your sage advice.

KC
Originally Posted by KC

KC

Truly sorry brother.
My condolences
Leaves a hole in your heart. The good times are what makes it hurt so bad. Embrace those memories
You gave her a great life. She was a lucky-dog!

Sincere condolences
I am sorry for your loss. You have a PM which may offer comfort.
Very near the end of her days. She was a good girl
Originally Posted by KC

KC

You got me tearing up… doing the right thing is sometimes the hardest to do…
Posted By: CCCC Re: Help me make a tough decision - 07/22/22
An emotionally gripping slice of life. Sorry, KC.
Originally Posted by KC

KC

Gone on around the bend, waiting for you.

Condolences.
Sorry, for your loss.
That was a very fortunate dog.
Posted By: DMc Re: Help me make a tough decision - 07/22/22
Very sorry my friend. I hope she went peaceably.
I love dogs more than most people. Even though they are God's gift to man, the cruel irony is that they don't live long enough. As blunt as this sounds, I would say goodbye, take it to the vet, humanely put it down, cry like a school girl and let time do it's thing. Good luck.
Been there. Very sorry KC.

Damned right

Oh you should be so proud of yourself, being the great family man that you are, by bragging on how you would shoot a family pet. It's the family thing to do...Be sure and do it in front of the kids..That should make them proud of Dad....Your a joke...
Sorry for your loss KC, may your memories console you through these times.

Dogs are truly a blessing in human lives, the loss of them proves it so.
Originally Posted by deflave
And no good Dog deserves to have their brains blown out by the hand they came to for a head rub.

Agreed.

I use a bat.

God, you’re a complete piece of schitt.
Everyone arguing on this thread needs to stfu.
I'm sorry for your loss KC.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Agreed.

I use a bat.

To be fair, ‘Flave’s family will use a baseball bat on him when the time comes, less chance of disturbing the neighbors 😉
Sorry for your loss!
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Agreed.

I use a bat.

To be fair, ‘Flave’s family will use a baseball bat on him when the time comes, less chance of disturbing the neighbors 😉

His neighbor's will feel gypped.
Tough day.

I'm sorry you lost your Pal KC.

Good Girl Pepper, good girl.
© 24hourcampfire