Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by KC
I own a german shorthair pointer that is 14 years old, named Pepper. She's been a good dog although hyper. I guess they all are.

She has a soft tissue carcinoma on her left side about the size of a softball. The Vet sent a biopsy to the lab to confirm her diagnosis. The vet said that she could remove the carcinoma but it may have roots that have already penetrated into her interior and she can't remove the roots. Pepper is losing control of her back legs and she's losing her hearing.

The Vet says that she will eventually die in pain. I hate to see her in pain. So what do I do? Do I put her down now to prevent the pain from occurring? Or do I wait until she obviously is in pain and then put her down?

This is a tough decision for me. Please help me make the right decision.

This what she looked like when she was a pup.
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...2898/pepper-2010#lg=12622898&slide=0

Try and kill her with cheeseburgers in the time she has left wink . When she appears to be suffering from the cancer, put her to sleep.

Do your best not to be sad or anxious around her, they pick up on that. They don't know they are mortally ill, no need to tell them.

Last edited by plumbum; 07/21/22.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s time. Holding on when the prognosis is dim doesn’t make sense for the dog. Doing so becomes selfish.

Been there, lost both my little buddies at the same time. Similar ages, both had health/age issues. Had our vet come to the house. Broke my heart, but it was the right thing to do. Would do the same again.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sorry this is the case. It's way to common. I have been through it myself several times and I have a Lab who will be going down this path within the next year or two. I feel your pain.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by battue
Another example of decision by campfire. You bought the ticket for this trip14 years ago…time to visit the vet.

And no good Dog deserves to have their brains blown out by the hand they came to for a head rub. This isn’t the 1800’s. “Oh let’s go to a favorite spot and when you’re not looking I’ll blow your brains out buddy.” Some don’t deserve Dogs or guns.
Really? My dogs have always disliked going to the vets. Letting someone else take care of my family isn't the way I live my life. I can definitely feel the pain and see why others choose a different way, but that's a pretty screwed up post.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Another example of decision by campfire. You bought the ticket for this trip14 years ago…time to visit the vet.

And no good Dog deserves to have their brains blown out by the hand they came to for a head rub. This isn’t the 1800’s. “Oh let’s go to a favorite spot and when you’re not looking I’ll blow your brains out buddy.” Some don’t deserve Dogs or guns.
Really? My dogs have always disliked going to the vets. Letting someone else take care of my family isn't the way I live my life. I can definitely feel the pain and see why others choose a different way, but that's a pretty screwed up post.

I agree, and the response I erased earlier was not as subtle as yours. This really isn't the time or place for a pissing match, but I'll say this: I agree that to make a dog suffer through fear, stress and confusion by taking it to a vet because it alleviates YOUR anxiety and fears.... that's not the decision an adult makes.

Those of us who live farm life have to, as the time comes, put animals down. It's a mercy, and part of being a farmer by economic necessity. I love my old knucklehead almost as much as his father. I won't put him through the stress of the vet routine, he'll go by my hand where he's been happiest for 13 years of his life. My "feelings" about that don't matter, it's my responsibility.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only way I could shoot my dog is if he was hit by a car or mauled and was suffering horribly .

A slow painful death, I'd want the vet to come and I'd be in the room holding him when the drugs were given.

I don't want to even think about it, that dog is my right arm. I feel for the OP and anyone else who went thru it recently.

I put a dog down I had for 15 years 6 years ago and I cried like a baby for 2 hours. Still have a picture of him as my background on my phone.

Last edited by KFWA; 07/21/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
KC I didnt read the whole thread so someone else may have already said it. The dog does not deserve to suffer for a single day. Have her put down peacefully. She would do the same for you if she could.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
KC I didnt read the whole thread so someone else may have already said it. The dog does not deserve to suffer for a single day. Have her put down peacefully. She would do the same for you if she could.

I wonder about that a lot. Not trying to pick a fight. Just wondering.

My grandmother lived to be 104 years old. She was mostly blind with macular degeneration for years before she died. Her knees sounded like old rusty hinges when she walked. She had terrible arthritis.

She wouldn't have wanted to go a day sooner than she did. Loved the interaction.

A compassionate person would have clubbed her years before....but she didn't want that.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good looking pup. Have any hunting pics can share?

Id try prednisone like someone mentioned and see how long she can live without pain and can still walk on her own. Then have the vet come out. Its worth the extra money for a house call.

Originally Posted by KC
I own a german shorthair pointer that is 14 years old, named Pepper. She's been a good dog although hyper. I guess they all are.

She has a soft tissue carcinoma on her left side about the size of a softball. The Vet sent a biopsy to the lab to confirm her diagnosis. The vet said that she could remove the carcinoma but it may have roots that have already penetrated into her interior and she can't remove the roots. Pepper is losing control of her back legs and she's losing her hearing.

The Vet says that she will eventually die in pain. I hate to see her in pain. So what do I do? Do I put her down now to prevent the pain from occurring? Or do I wait until she obviously is in pain and then put her down?

This is a tough decision for me. Please help me make the right decision.

This what she looked like when she was a pup.
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...2898/pepper-2010#lg=12622898&slide=0

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
And no good Dog deserves to have their brains blown out by the hand they came to for a head rub.

Agreed.

I use a bat.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
His last morning, went peacefully to sleep with all our hands on him on his bed in the frontroom he grewup in.

YOU will know when it's time no matter what any of us post.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
As long as my dogs would eat I’d try to keep them going.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dogs don't benefit from suffering.

Politics is War by Other Means
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wow, this is one of the hardest choices you'll ever make. Having just went through this lately, oh wait 2yrs ago or was it 3yrs. No matter how you chose to do this you will second guess your decision the rest of your life. Have done this dirty deed numerous times through life & still not sure I chose the best path. Good luck with your choice. My heart goes out to you. GWP 🐾👣🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At 14 a larger dog is on borrowed time. We put Rex down at 14 having those same issues after the vet said that dogs are really good at disguising their pain. We had to ask ourselves if we were keeping our dog for the good of the dog or ourselves? Seeing him like that wasn't doing any of us any good. Decision made.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Teri and I had the exact situation a few weeks ago KC cancer spreading causing weak hips slipping and falling in continence had the vet put her down before real pain began never an easy decision but we know it was right. She had a great life…

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
KC, I'm sorry to hear about your girl. It's hard to know what to do. They try so hard. For moments, they bounce back thanks to their tremendous spirit. When our ancestors plucked these wonderful creatures out of the wild and brought them under our care we set our mutual fates. This predicament is the price we pay for a dog's love. So many of us have been where you are and will be again. I try to remember that without us, in the wild, their fates would belong to a far more brutal master. You'll know when it's time. Godspeed to you both.

Brian

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I messed up on the last one. Let him go too long. I still feel bad about it.

Anyway, sooner, rather than later.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They will do everything to protect you and make you happy. I believe we owe them the same. Don't make a good dog suffer for your feelings. It sucks.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I quail hunted for 25 years, usually had 6 to 10 dogs. I became attached to a few of them. I quit because I just could not lose another friend. It hurts as bad as losing family. I’ve had a couple of feral cats come up to the house, became attached to them, lost them too. I can’t lose another animal, so I have none. Just can’t.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,186 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,353
Posts18,506,288
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.