Home
Posted By: hanco No-see-ums - 07/30/22
We have them here sometimes, bad right now. They can drive you to jacking off. You may have other biting bugs we don’t have. It seems they are worst at dusk. They are very small clear, hard to see!

Do you all have them where you live
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: No-see-ums - 07/30/22
They’ve been worse than usual here.
Posted By: Plumdog Re: No-see-ums - 07/30/22
They get bad in winter here, especially at low tide around the flats. Bug spray works, without it you would go blind in short order!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: No-see-ums - 07/30/22
Yes, we have them aplenty. Worse during cool weather, say 65-75*, not so much when warmer or cooler. The activate the slap-o-matic mostly in the spring and fall.
Posted By: WMR Re: No-see-ums - 07/30/22
I hate those things! Raise big welts on me. Planning to go to the UP of MI soon to pick blueberries. They ate me alive last year.......and I never saw it coming!!!
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: No-see-ums - 07/30/22
Very bad along and throughout the coastal regions.....

Watered down Skin so Soft was the go-to repellent.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: No-see-ums - 07/30/22
We don't have hardly any mosquitoes here, mainly because we have no standing water anywhere, but we have no-see-ums in large voracious herds. It's actually the only biting insect we have here that are in big numbers.
Posted By: 2sticks Re: No-see-ums - 07/30/22
Pretty sure we are only plagued with chiggers, ticks,mosquitoes and poison ivy in SW MO.
Those are enough.

Chiggers suck. I hear that no-see-ums are worse.

I have always wondered why God created such awful critters.
Posted By: 2sticks Re: No-see-ums - 07/30/22
Pretty sure we are only plagued with chiggers, ticks,mosquitoes and poison ivy in SW MO.
Those are enough.

Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: No-see-ums - 07/30/22
Put dryer sheets under your hat.

😂😂
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: No-see-ums - 07/30/22
Got em here. They tend to be word in the mountains and more prevalent in damp weather. A good ol drought backs them off pretty good.
Posted By: 673 Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
We have them here, you gotta get ..no see um... screen for your camper windows or the little pricks get in there and cause a real problem.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
They are wicked little, biting beasts. We have them in the coastal range where I hunt almost year round.

During deer and elk season, kill either animal and any exposed skin you have will get ravaged while field dressing.

Summer months are bad too, especially in the late afternoon ~ evenings.

My hunting Pard used to smoke. If he was burning a cigarette, we’d get some relief. He would chain smoke to keep them away.

A regular skeeter bite might last a couple days. NoSeeum bites take almost 2 weeks before they go away on me.

Hate them!

🦫
Posted By: tikkanut Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by hanco
We have them here sometimes, bad right now. They can drive you to jacking off. You may have other biting bugs we don’t have. It seems they are worst at dusk. They are very small clear, hard to see!

Do you all have them where you live

yep

little SOB's go fur the ears.......

Have shorts on..bite the daylights at your sock line

Early June on the desert here
Posted By: P_Weed Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
I haven't seen any.
Posted By: funshooter Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
Girl Friend is getting eaten up this year
She says Mosquitos but I have yet to see any myself.
She wanted to know if i was getting bit and I told her No.
She asked me why and I told her maybe because I have turned into a Bitter old Man and noting would want to bite a Bitter old man
Posted By: navlav8r Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
Thermacell. I light mine off and put it on the bench if they start bothering me when I’m shooting.
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I haven't seen any.
LOL, probably not laugh
Posted By: jaguartx Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by hanco
We have them here sometimes, bad right now. They can drive you to jacking off.

Dayom. I knew it was something.
Originally Posted by 2sticks
Those are enough.

Yep. Mosquitoes, chiggers and dimocraps.
Posted By: Stophel Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
Never seen one.

Never heard of such a thing here. Heard people from other places talk about "no-see-ums" and wondered what in the hell they were talking about.

Mosquitos and ticks are bad enough here.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Thermacell. I light mine off and put it on the bench if they start bothering me when I’m shooting.

PIC Mosquito Coils work very well also.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
Mix up some vanilla extract and water in a spray bottle.

Spray it on before going outside. It works.
What keeps no good, lowlife, bloodsucking dimocommies away?
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
At the cabin and are getting hit with the works. No see uns, gnats, mosquitos, deer flies, horse flies, and ticks. Got the first three going with some rains earlier in the week. Supposed to rain tomorrow so will get a new batch in a few days.
Posted By: blanket Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
Detol hospital dissent acting works
Posted By: shaman Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
I went to visit my folks just after gradgitating college at their place down in Vero Beach, FL. I'd never been down there in June before and went fishing up at Sebastian Inlet. Dad tried to warn me, but I stupidly walked into a cloud of No-See-Ums on the way out to the jetty. I was only in it a few minutes, and did not feel anything right away.

Yikes! Within a few hours, the bites started to itch. After a couple of days, I had to cut the trip short and drive home to Cincinnati. The itching stayed for a couple of weeks.

A few years later, our next-door neighbors decided to take their trailer down to Sebastian Inlet in June. They had 10 kids; I forget how many of them went on the trip. They pulled into the campground after dark and started setting up. Within a couple of hours, the No-See-Ums had got the whole family. They had to pull out in the middle of the night with the little kids screaming. That was a long ride back to Cincy.
Posted By: akasparky Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
Everyone will have a personal preference.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

LINK FOR INFO

[Linked Image from backyardboss.net]LINK FOR INFO

[Linked Image from amazeoo.shop]BIG AZZED FAN
Posted By: RicG Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
Family Ceratopogonidae. Nasty little beasties. Around 1 mm in size. Can go through normal size screens. High % DEET (98%) very helpful.
Posted By: deflave Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by shaman
I went to visit my folks just after gradgitating college at their place down in Vero Beach, FL. I'd never been down there in June before and went fishing up at Sebastian Inlet. Dad tried to warn me, but I stupidly walked into a cloud of No-See-Ums on the way out to the jetty. I was only in it a few minutes, and did not feel anything right away.

Yikes! Within a few hours, the bites started to itch. After a couple of days, I had to cut the trip short and drive home to Cincinnati. The itching stayed for a couple of weeks.

A few years later, our next-door neighbors decided to take their trailer down to Sebastian Inlet in June. They had 10 kids; I forget how many of them went on the trip. They pulled into the campground after dark and started setting up. Within a couple of hours, the No-See-Ums had got the whole family. They had to pull out in the middle of the night with the little kids screaming. That was a long ride back to Cincy.

No-See-Ums suck but JFC.

LOL

Try acting like a man for fugk sake.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
They're the smallest species of gnat but their bites are worse than mosquitoes. Wiping the bites with alcohol will help with the itch. We don't have huge numbers of them here but being outside in grassy areas after sundown can get lively.
Posted By: flagstaff Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
Having spent thousands of days in the forests here in AZ, I have heard of them, told they were here, but never encountered them.

My best friend and I went scouting in mid-June for his archery bull elk hunt this September. We got up early and glassed, Side by side, from a cinder cone. Saw 75 bulls that trip. We both were wearing camo long pants and high top hiking boots.

By the time we got back to camp, I started inching, so rolled up my pant legs. I musta had 100 bites on my legs, mainly at my sock line. He had 2 bites. He said they were no see um bites.

I was itching for two weeks. I still have the red marks on my legs from their bites.
When I was working as a faller, the ..no see ums... seem to live in the tops of trees, we would fall the trees so the tops would land on a skidder trail, the skidderman gets out and hooks the tree by the tops.

After a couple hours of that, by 10:00am the operators were out of their minds itching. Then after it warmed up they would go away and the bulldogs (horseflies) would come out lol.

I used to mix my saw gas richer to create smoke so it would help keep them away. Lethal doses of bug spray and moving quickly are also proven methods that may help.
Posted By: ironbender Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
Household ammonia helps reduce the itch.
“Dot” it on the bite.

Some other methods here:

https://thebugagenda.com/no-see-um-bite-treatment/
Originally Posted by flagstaff
Having spent thousands of days in the forests here in AZ, I have heard of them, told they were here, but never encountered them.

My best friend and I went scouting in mid-June for his archery bull elk hunt this September. We got up early and glassed, Side by side, from a cinder cone. Saw 75 bulls that trip. We both were wearing camo long pants and high top hiking boots.

By the time we got back to camp, I started inching, so rolled up my pant legs. I musta had 100 bites on my legs, mainly at my sock line. He had 2 bites. He said they were no see um bites.

I was itching for two weeks. I still have the red marks on my legs from their bites.

Are you sure that wasnt chiggers?
Also oak tree mites can resemble chigger bites but i dont think they swell or itch as much.
Posted By: flagstaff Re: No-see-ums - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by flagstaff

Are you sure that wasnt chiggers?
Also oak tree mites can resemble chigger bites but i dont think they swell or itch as much.

I dunno

My buddy said no see ums

I’m told AZ has them but no mention of chiggers

All I know is I must be sweet and my buddy pretty salty as they bit the crap outta me and barely bothered him and he was pretty much sitting beside me as we were both glassing elk
Posted By: Paladin Re: No-see-ums - 08/01/22
Had the little bastards down in Colombia. DEET worked to keep them off. Mostly got bit on the hands.

First thing you'd notice was a slight itch and welting. Next day welting would be gone, replaced by a bright red dot about 3/16" to 1/4". Later a small blister would appear and itch like the dickens. And then it would get worse. Took about 3 weeks to heal up.
© 24hourcampfire