Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never seen one.

Never heard of such a thing here. Heard people from other places talk about "no-see-ums" and wondered what in the hell they were talking about.

Mosquitos and ticks are bad enough here.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Thermacell. I light mine off and put it on the bench if they start bothering me when I’m shooting.

PIC Mosquito Coils work very well also.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Mix up some vanilla extract and water in a spray bottle.

Spray it on before going outside. It works.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
What keeps no good, lowlife, bloodsucking dimocommies away?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
At the cabin and are getting hit with the works. No see uns, gnats, mosquitos, deer flies, horse flies, and ticks. Got the first three going with some rains earlier in the week. Supposed to rain tomorrow so will get a new batch in a few days.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Detol hospital dissent acting works

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went to visit my folks just after gradgitating college at their place down in Vero Beach, FL. I'd never been down there in June before and went fishing up at Sebastian Inlet. Dad tried to warn me, but I stupidly walked into a cloud of No-See-Ums on the way out to the jetty. I was only in it a few minutes, and did not feel anything right away.

Yikes! Within a few hours, the bites started to itch. After a couple of days, I had to cut the trip short and drive home to Cincinnati. The itching stayed for a couple of weeks.

A few years later, our next-door neighbors decided to take their trailer down to Sebastian Inlet in June. They had 10 kids; I forget how many of them went on the trip. They pulled into the campground after dark and started setting up. Within a couple of hours, the No-See-Ums had got the whole family. They had to pull out in the middle of the night with the little kids screaming. That was a long ride back to Cincy.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everyone will have a personal preference.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

[Linked Image from backyardboss.net]LINK FOR INFO

[Linked Image from amazeoo.shop]BIG AZZED FAN

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Family Ceratopogonidae. Nasty little beasties. Around 1 mm in size. Can go through normal size screens. High % DEET (98%) very helpful.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shaman
I went to visit my folks just after gradgitating college at their place down in Vero Beach, FL. I'd never been down there in June before and went fishing up at Sebastian Inlet. Dad tried to warn me, but I stupidly walked into a cloud of No-See-Ums on the way out to the jetty. I was only in it a few minutes, and did not feel anything right away.

Yikes! Within a few hours, the bites started to itch. After a couple of days, I had to cut the trip short and drive home to Cincinnati. The itching stayed for a couple of weeks.

A few years later, our next-door neighbors decided to take their trailer down to Sebastian Inlet in June. They had 10 kids; I forget how many of them went on the trip. They pulled into the campground after dark and started setting up. Within a couple of hours, the No-See-Ums had got the whole family. They had to pull out in the middle of the night with the little kids screaming. That was a long ride back to Cincy.

No-See-Ums suck but JFC.

LOL

Try acting like a man for fugk sake.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They're the smallest species of gnat but their bites are worse than mosquitoes. Wiping the bites with alcohol will help with the itch. We don't have huge numbers of them here but being outside in grassy areas after sundown can get lively.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Having spent thousands of days in the forests here in AZ, I have heard of them, told they were here, but never encountered them.

My best friend and I went scouting in mid-June for his archery bull elk hunt this September. We got up early and glassed, Side by side, from a cinder cone. Saw 75 bulls that trip. We both were wearing camo long pants and high top hiking boots.

By the time we got back to camp, I started inching, so rolled up my pant legs. I musta had 100 bites on my legs, mainly at my sock line. He had 2 bites. He said they were no see um bites.

I was itching for two weeks. I still have the red marks on my legs from their bites.

Last edited by flagstaff; 07/31/22.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was working as a faller, the ..no see ums... seem to live in the tops of trees, we would fall the trees so the tops would land on a skidder trail, the skidderman gets out and hooks the tree by the tops.

After a couple hours of that, by 10:00am the operators were out of their minds itching. Then after it warmed up they would go away and the bulldogs (horseflies) would come out lol.

I used to mix my saw gas richer to create smoke so it would help keep them away. Lethal doses of bug spray and moving quickly are also proven methods that may help.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Household ammonia helps reduce the itch.
“Dot” it on the bite.

Some other methods here:

https://thebugagenda.com/no-see-um-bite-treatment/

Last edited by ironbender; 07/31/22.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by flagstaff
Having spent thousands of days in the forests here in AZ, I have heard of them, told they were here, but never encountered them.

My best friend and I went scouting in mid-June for his archery bull elk hunt this September. We got up early and glassed, Side by side, from a cinder cone. Saw 75 bulls that trip. We both were wearing camo long pants and high top hiking boots.

By the time we got back to camp, I started inching, so rolled up my pant legs. I musta had 100 bites on my legs, mainly at my sock line. He had 2 bites. He said they were no see um bites.

I was itching for two weeks. I still have the red marks on my legs from their bites.

Are you sure that wasnt chiggers?
Also oak tree mites can resemble chigger bites but i dont think they swell or itch as much.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/31/22.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by flagstaff

Are you sure that wasnt chiggers?
Also oak tree mites can resemble chigger bites but i dont think they swell or itch as much.

I dunno

My buddy said no see ums

I’m told AZ has them but no mention of chiggers

All I know is I must be sweet and my buddy pretty salty as they bit the crap outta me and barely bothered him and he was pretty much sitting beside me as we were both glassing elk

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had the little bastards down in Colombia. DEET worked to keep them off. Mostly got bit on the hands.

First thing you'd notice was a slight itch and welting. Next day welting would be gone, replaced by a bright red dot about 3/16" to 1/4". Later a small blister would appear and itch like the dickens. And then it would get worse. Took about 3 weeks to heal up.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (06hunter59, 1936M71, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,715
Posts18,475,585
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.