Home
Posted By: viking Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Mine was a little high yesterday 154/95. The NP wants to put on medication.

I don’t want to get started on that stuff yet.. I need to make some changes, like exercising more, and perhaps quite chewing. Damned it was fun. (I don’t drink alcohol).

In 2020 it was 134/76. Then I used to take a shot of apple cider vinegar every day.

Anyone got any natural remedies? Or experiences to share.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
A low carb diet and cutting back on salt made more of a difference than anything for me in the past.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Getting enough water?
Posted By: viking Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Getting enough water?

I drink at least a gallon a day..

Everything else was good (blood work)

I did buy a home blood pressure cuff today at Walmart
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
High blood pressure led to stroke for me. Spent 5 years now trying to regain the use of the right side of my body. They tell I will never have the fine motor controls of my right side. I walk and use my right arm some.

Just do something now to lower your blood pressure. Do not wait. Could end up like me or worst.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Is that number your regular reading or a one time thing.....just going to the doctor can jack BP a bit for many folks.......

Anger/stressful issues over ongoing events cant jack BP......

my life is full of that chit, and I doubt the old crow helps me much with BP.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Stroke or heart attack isn't fun.....probably do a low dosage bp med? Losartan and hctz are a good combo?
Posted By: 673 Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Eliminate stress and deal with the effects of stress, best thing I did was change career.
Posted By: adam32 Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
I'm 37 and have high BP...I don't smoke or drink. In fairly good shape, 6' 175lbs. I cut out salt, sugar, juice, soda etc and it didn't make a difference. Doctor said losartan for me (my dad is also on it), been taking it for about 6 months now and I'm usually right around 120/75.
Posted By: viking Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Well I did have a stressful day before. Family business, repo’d a vehicle from a brother. The vehicle was my dads, I bought from my dad….

I’m thinking I need to monitor it for a couple weeks before starting meds. I just don’t want to join the 7 Day pill counter Club yet😂
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
For people who cut back on salt and it didn't work you might have a chronic potassium deficiency.
Posted By: Oakster Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by viking

I don’t want to get started on that stuff yet.. I need to make some changes, like exercising more, and perhaps quite chewing. Damned it was fun. (I don’t drink alcohol).

In 2020 it was 134/76. Then I used to take a shot of apple cider vinegar every day.

I would say excercise and if necessary, weight loss. Eat cleaner if needed also. Should be quite a bit to gain if you are currently not good in those areas.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Large quantities of alcohol.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Well I did have a stressful day before. Family business, repo’d a vehicle from a brother. The vehicle was my dads, I bought from my dad….

I’m thinking I need to monitor it for a couple weeks before starting meds. I just don’t want to join the 7 Day pill counter Club yet😂

If the doc says take it I wouldn’t defer on it. You don’t need the issues mtnsnake just described here.

You can always cut back later if things settle down.
Posted By: EdM Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
I have mild hypertension and take meds for it. If I were you I would get on the meds now and then sort the lifestyle changes that could allow you to drop the meds.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Unfortunately high bp can be genetic so it doesn't matter what you do in some cases! I used to work out 5 days a week and run 3 miles on mon, wed, and fri. I was in shape and good cardio. Unfortunately it didn't matter. 134 is still considered high/hypertension.
Posted By: Phillip_Nesmith Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Better to take some BP med than suffer the consequences of high pressure and end up taking a whole bunch of drugs later. High blood pressure is rough on all of your organs, the retinas of your eyes and your entire circulatory system.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
I check my blood pressure every morning. Usually it's about 120/80. If the top number is over 140 I take a little BB sized pill called Lisinopril. It has no noticeable effects in me other than it keeps my blood pressure down to a tolerable level.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK482230/
Posted By: Lockhart Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
I take one small pill a day. 120/80. Was terrible before that 20 years ago. Lisinopril also.
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
Better to take some BP med than suffer the consequences of high pressure and end up taking a whole bunch of drugs later. High blood pressure is rough on all of your organs, the retinas of your eyes and your entire circulatory system.

Yep.

Far more involved than only the circulatory systems.
Posted By: denton Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Get your BP under control.

Check it several times to be sure what you are seeing is real. Sit with both feet on the floor, and relax for about 5 minutes befoe taking a reading.

Olive leave extract, a couple of capsules, up to once every four hours will trim 15-20 points.

As mentioned, most of us don't get enough potassium. Bananas and potatoes are good sources. The pills contribute only a tiny bit to what you need.... 99 mg of a 1500 mg daily need. It's that way because too much potassium chloride at one time will kill a person, or so I've been told.

Your NP is a better source of advice.
Posted By: bludog Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Good friend of mine was about 50 yrs old and had a bp of 165/95. He was about 6-3 about 270. Doc said he had 3 options:
Take Meds
Lose weight and change lifestyle
Do nothing and die.

He chose the second option and it worked. He lost 45 lbs and did it by going low carb, stopped drinking hard liquor, exercised more, and quit chewing. Personally, I'd always try lifestyle changes first. But if you're a good weight for your height and frame, and after a few weeks it's still high, it'll probably be time to go on the meds.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Potassium is a major part of it, especially the potassium/sodium balance. Aside from eating more potassium-rich foods, sprinkling potassium on your food instead of sodium can make a difference, though some don't like the taste. These days Morton offers a combo salt/potassium that offers a better balance, and tastes better.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
I made lifestyle changes and no longer have to take blood pressure medicine.Gìve it a try may work for you too good luck.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Checking mine right now.

122/70 which is good for me.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by denton
Get your BP under control.

Check it several times to be sure what you are seeing is real. Sit with both feet on the floor, and relax for about 5 minutes befoe taking a reading.

Olive leave extract, a couple of capsules, up to once every four hours will trim 15-20 points.

As mentioned, most of us don't get enough potassium. Bananas and potatoes are good sources. The pills contribute only a tiny bit to what you need.... 99 mg of a 1500 mg daily need. It's that way because too much potassium chloride at one time will kill a person, or so I've been told.

Your NP is a better source of advice.
You can't kill me. My fuggin blood pressure is normal and NOBODY has done more self harm to his body than me. I can't be killed apparently. I want to die but can't.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
The side effects of the different drugs may be a problem.
Smoke some weed instead.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Does that lower it?
"Whaki Tabbakicki."
Evidentially....lol
Posted By: antlers Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Smoke some weed instead.
Does that lower it?
If it does, Bristoe’s blood pressure was probably 70/20 for decades…!
I need my beauty sleep. [Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Posted By: Huncho Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Take care of yourself. i have been so lazy to go for a check up.
Does that lower it?

It seems.
I haven't been in a doctors office in about 3-4 years.

Figure the next time you go in they tell you...

You gonna be dead soon.
I discovered my hypertension in 2001 (age 40) as we were prepping for a trip to hunt Africa. That and a Trust were taken care of. My BP measured 190/90 and I had no idea I was spinning though my work was always crazy demanding, me of myself in particular. If not dealt with who knows but the fact I had no idea what was going on was startling to say the least.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Just go on the medicine, if you later fix what's causing it you can go off of it. A pill or two a day is a lot better than the damage it'll do untreated.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22

go back on apple CV and starts meds none is habit forming but might save your life.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Check mine twice, sometimes 3 times a day.

Holy fugk, potassium is the LAST thing I need to be around. I make that sheeit outta thin air. It will make your heart turn to jello if you get too much. My potass was 9 in March.

Living dangerously and had a few cubes of cold cantelope today.

I have to drink a powder that makes incidental potassium inert and piss it out.

My pressures used to run 175/115 pretty reg.

Nurses flip out when they get a 135/90 reading. Intell they are full of shît that is nothing. LOL

But that is all different now with those old kidneys removed, blood pressure is normal now and they even stopped hypertension meds. My BP was like 90/60 with meds, I cussed the cardiologist and said I couldnt even stand up it was so low. I said that might be a good pressure for some 80 year old lady that weighs 95 lbs.

Im bout 125/82 some where in there last few days.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
The last thing I would be doing is telling knuckleheads to gargle and gobble potassium rich foods till they get some lab work, especially if you got blood pressure issues, the beetus, pre beetus, muscle weakness in legs, recent heart palps or pvcs
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
I developed high blood pressure around the time I turned 50. Everything else is normal, weight is good and I've always exercised. I've inherited it from my mother's side of the family, and am on meds now for it. It was 180/90 when I got diagnosed and I could feel it thumping away when I went to bed. It seemed to come on suddenly - it was within normal range when I'd had a physical for a new job a few months earlier.

Seems that my sister inherited cholesterol problems from my father - I thought it was brought on by lifestyle but that's not always the case.

Edit: My doctor suspected a bad artery in/to the liver because of how quick it seemed to come on, but it wasn't, and he was disappointed since it's easier to fix apparently.
Posted By: benchman Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Mine goes up significantly after my bodyweight hits 180. You didn't mention your weight.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
I take blood pressure medicine but if my weight stays below 220 I don't have to - at least for now.

Unfortunately I'm at 238 so I take them daily. I am religious about it.
Posted By: battue Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
One isolated reading doesn’t confirm high or low BP. Find a new MD if they want to immediately place you on meds. Elevated BP is diagnosed from multiple readings, especially if there are no obvious reasons.

BP can also be too low and cause pooling of blood in chambers of the heart. Which can sometimes cause a clot. Having a low continuous diastolic number, in older individuals is now considered a dangerous precursor to potential pooling of blood in a chamber.

Messing around with ones electrolytes can be dangerous.Or one could drink too much water and temporarily dilute out their lytes and cause a false BP reading. Dehydration can also cause a false lreading.

Drinking 8 glass of water a day is no longer a recommendation for all. Urine color is most often the indicator of water needs in otherwise healthy individuals. Although kidney issues may cause that not to be true.

One reading may or may not give a true BP average and BP variations over the course of a day are not uncommon. Sleep issues? Actual BP is best determined by a MD who takes into account multiple variables. Recently I went thru a couple week period of elevated BP, and took multiple reading through out the day with the same results. Then mysteriously it reverted to normal.

Body position and cuff elevation can also cause reading errors.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Cut out salt if its in your diet, eat more garlic.
Posted By: tylerw02 Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Wow, lots of bad advice here. But here goes:

Blood pressure changes constantly. An isolated reading doesn't necessitate the need for meds. However, consistent readings do. Buy an automatic blood pressure cuff. Take it three or four times a day for two weeks. Once before each meal and again before bed. Write a log and take it to your provider. Be honest, no trying to fudge the numbers or changing lifestyles. Also record your pulse. Give this information to your provider so they can get an accurate idea of what is going on over time.

If your blood pressure consistently runs over 140 systolic, you're going to start medications; likely starting with an ACE-Inhibitor. If you do not want to take the meds long-term, lifestyle changes are necessary. No stimulants, no caffeine, and most importantly lose some weight and get regular exercise. Exercise will help your body's blood vessels remain elastic so that when your body compensates with extra blood flow, large amounts of pressure doesn't follow suit.

If you can't maintain pressures in a normal range without medication, just accept the medication so that you don't have stroke, heart attack, or fry your kidneys. If your labs show proper electrolyte balances, don't try to change your diet to "high potassium" or something like that. Your body has a way for remaining in homeostatic balance so long as your organs, particularly kidneys, are healthy.

Good luck!
Posted By: kendibs Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by Esox357
Unfortunately high bp can be genetic so it doesn't matter what you do in some cases!

This. Most of the time.

-Ken
Posted By: battue Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
And the human body isn't programmed to be obese as here...Look at some of the European countries for evidence. Obesity is rarely genetic, and BP has a definite correlation with obesity which here again is common. Obesity causes more BP issues than genetics most every day of the week.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
You asked about supplements that "may" help cardiovascular health:

Complete Multivitamin - Centrum Silver
NOW Brand Blood Pressure Health
MegaRed - Omegas
CoQ10/Ubiquinol
Beetroot Powder + a Nitric Oxide booster - L-Arginine, L-Citrulline
Resveratrol

Otherwise it is Beta-blocker time.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
I developed BP problems at around 40 years of age.
I fought like hell, lost 40 pounds .... still chewed, smoked and sat on my newly crippled a$$! (car wreck) and drank coffee, tea and brown soft drinks.
Cut back on caffeine. It's a big contributor. In my case anyway.
An 81mg aspirin a day helps.
I eat salt like it's popcorn, but my blood sodium stays normal.
I enjoy walking, but a crushed heel and a prosthetic hip (same car wreck) restrict mobility due to pain.
I'm NOT going to dope up just to walk. The dope is worse than the inactivity.
Reducing metabolic intake.
Stay away from "burgers and fries" as much as possible.
Saturday is my "cheat" day. One meal can be anything I want. Ham & cheese omelet, chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and gravy, etc, etc. The good stuff! 😉
The rest of the time, it baked chicken and boiled veggies...or whatever else is "healthy".

There is only so much you can do.
Do what you can.
I've been on "lysinopril HTCZ" 1×/day for several years now.
It works.
Posted By: Tarquin Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Some things that might help:

1. Research shows that taking your BP meds at night gives a stronger, more lasting effect;

2. Take beet root powder by Humann each morning (link below);

https://www.humann.com/products/superbeets-superfood?variant=29389025935471

3. Take L-arginine + L-citrulline supp morning and night (link below);

https://www.amazon.com/L-arginine-Pro-Now-Supplement-L-Citrulline

4. Take Nattokinase supp (link below----3x daily, thins the blood);

https://supplementfirst.com/product...msclkid=08d0c0d6134015db8015a230882f706e

5. Take Complete Blood Pressure solution from Newport Natural Health.

https://www.newportnaturalhealth.co...-solution-natural-supplement-nattokinase

6. Lose weight and exercise!
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by tylerw02
Wow, lots of bad advice here. But here goes:

Blood pressure changes constantly. An isolated reading doesn't necessitate the need for meds. However, consistent readings do. Buy an automatic blood pressure cuff. Take it three or four times a day for two weeks. Once before each meal and again before bed. Write a log and take it to your provider. Be honest, no trying to fudge the numbers or changing lifestyles. Also record your pulse. Give this information to your provider so they can get an accurate idea of what is going on over time.

If your blood pressure consistently runs over 140 systolic, you're going to start medications; likely starting with an ACE-Inhibitor. If you do not want to take the meds long-term, lifestyle changes are necessary. No stimulants, no caffeine, and most importantly lose some weight and get regular exercise. Exercise will help your body's blood vessels remain elastic so that when your body compensates with extra blood flow, large amounts of pressure doesn't follow suit.

If you can't maintain pressures in a normal range without medication, just accept the medication so that you don't have stroke, heart attack, or fry your kidneys. If your labs show proper electrolyte balances, don't try to change your diet to "high potassium" or something like that. Your body has a way for remaining in homeostatic balance so long as your organs, particularly kidneys, are healthy.

Good luck!

This is great advice. The 140 number is a little high in my opinion.

If you need the meds you need the meds. Drop the male arrogance and take them. Then, as another poster said, after your diet and exercise changes kick in, you can discontinue the meds.

My product portfolio is specific to cardiology so I’m in cardiology clinics daily. I see younger and younger people, almost all of them men.

Pride means shìt to your heart.

P
Posted By: Dutch Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
First, if your blood pressure is high, get it down, don't "try something". If it's high, you're doing damage, get it down.

As far as "life style": diet and exercise have been mentioned. Reducing stimulants, carbs, salt, for sure.

What hasn't been mentioned is that you should increase your intake of "heart healthy fats". These are shown to increase (or at least slow the decrease) of the elasticity of the blood vessels, which in turn educes blood pressure.

Try adding fish and oils like olive oil, avocado, coconut oil, walnut oil and flax oil to your meals. Other sources include free range eggs, wild game, pastured beef and pork.

Generally, anything with high levels of MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) will have benefits, and using a variety of these types of foods and oils is much better than using just one, or supplements, although I take a fish oil supplement every day.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Viking: I remember years ago reading about a long term medical study where folks in America that had taken high blood pressure "medication" lived an average of 51 days longer than those who did not take the "medications".
Now if a person were at or very near end of life that 51 days would be a very enticing reason to take the meds!
Luckily I have been blessed with very low blood pressure (no medication).
Best of luck with your situation.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: tylerw02 Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Viking: I remember years ago reading about a long term medical study where folks in America that had taken high blood pressure "medication" lived an average of 51 days longer than those who did not take the "medications".
Now if a person were at or very near end of life that 51 days would be a very enticing reason to take the meds!
Luckily I have been blessed with very low blood pressure (no medication).
Best of luck with your situation.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

We as Americans spend a lot of money on our healthcare and we can amazingly keep people alive a long time, despite terrible disease. Sure, you can let your blood pressure go hog wild, and you may leave for the most part, just as long. But you may do so post-stroke which you may have half your body you cannot use. You may spend months of your life working in rehab learning to use your body again. Or perhaps you destroy the arteries that feed your kidneys and spend the last years of your life on dialysis. Perhaps even your legs will get cut off, but you'll only live 51 days less. Let us ignore chronic health issues and overall quality of life, like we Americans tend to do.

Or perhaps those taking blood pressure medicines are being kept alive just as long as those that don't need them; truly indicating what a life-saver blood pressure medications can be.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
I don't know, but I wouldn't rely on a reading at the doctors office as the final word. Get a monitor and check it home at different times for a couple weeks or so. Doctors love to put people on BP medicine.
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
I don't know, but I wouldn't rely on a reading at the doctors office as the final word. Get a monitor and check it home at different times for a couple weeks or so. Doctors love to put people on BP medicine.

Mainly to prevent the leading cause of strokes, some fatal and many debilitating for life or what’s left of it.

You can always reduce the medication or even get off of it completely later.

First things first.

Jmo
Posted By: Hastings Re: Blood Pressure - 07/31/22
Just now checked mine 139/61 left arm, 134/63 right arm, pulse 66. Have been on BP medication since I was 30. Accidently found out when a home health nurse was visiting an older relative and I got her to check mine. It was150/100 at a time when I was under no particular stress. She checked it a time or two more and told me I needed to get treated for it. My old doctor told me that wasn't high (1982) but I told him it was and he wrote a prescription for Aldoril which helped some. Now I'm on Norvasc 5mg once a day and Bisoprolol Fumarate 5mg twice a day. I understand the bottom number should be 1/2 to 2/3 of the top number but since I have the beginnings of right side heart failure that ain't happening.

My maternal grandfather dropped dead of a heart attack at age 49 and my father died of heart failure so I guess I'm lucky to be up and going pretty good for coming 70yo in 5 days. Would probably be dead by now if not for BP medicine.
^^^

Good thing you did what you knew that you needed to do years ago.

None of us can outrun our genetics but lifestyle and medications as required can sure extend the quality of life.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by Hastings
Just now checked mine 139/61 left arm, 134/63 right arm, pulse 66. Have been on BP medication since I was 30. Accidently found out when a home health nurse was visiting an older relative and I got her to check mine. It was150/100 at a time when I was under no particular stress. She checked it a time or two more and told me I needed to get treated for it. My old doctor told me that wasn't high (1982) but I told him it was and he wrote a prescription for Aldoril which helped some. Now I'm on Norvasc 5mg once a day and Bisoprolol Fumarate 5mg twice a day. I understand the bottom number should be 1/2 to 2/3 of the top number but since I have the beginnings of right side heart failure that ain't happening.

My maternal grandfather dropped dead of a heart attack at age 49 and my father died of heart failure so I guess I'm lucky to be up and going pretty good for coming 70yo in 5 days. Would probably be dead by now if not for BP medicine.

Hastings - read this:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...d-to-do-this-and-i-mean-now#Post17399141

Ask your doc why you’re not on a RAAS inhibitor.
Posted By: deflave Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Buy a fugking FitBit or similar and pay attention to heart rate and how you're sleeping when compared to what you consume.

It's a lot cheaper than some dumb fugk doctor trying to play pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey on your dime.

It's also a lot more effective because most doctors are dumb fugks.
Posted By: hanco Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Get more exercise, helps me keep mine down.
Posted By: viking Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by benchman
Mine goes up significantly after my bodyweight hits 180. You didn't mention your weight.

256, 10 more pounds than 1-31-20.
Are you 6’10”?
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Take what ever is necessary to drop that number and makes any changes anything in your life that needs changing. Forget that crap of you don't want to put meds in your body.That will get you dead.
High blood pressure causes strokes.

I was just released from the hospital this afternoon. I had a stroke Friday mid day.Luckily my wife recognized the symptoms and she had me in the ER within 45 minutes. Another 45 minutes and they started a powerful drug to dissolve the blood clot.Then I spent 2 days days in the ICU doing CT scans, ultra sounds, EKG, Electrocardigrams, MRI etc. Because of the fast attention, I only have small pea size damage in my brain and I have retained almost all of my faculties. However I am now susceptible to another stroke in the future and I have damage. Recovery will not be fast.

My elk hunt in September is canceled. My wife's trip to Denali, which she was to leave this coming Tuesday is canceled. If I had waited to go to the hospital 4-5 hours later, they said I probably would not have survived. When they started to infuse that drug, it wasn't known if it would be successful.'
You get a chance to lay on a table and worry if you will become a vegetable or dead, you will change your attitude. My wife with her quick actions and prayers from others to God saved my life.To put it bluntly, Deflave and a few others are full of bull feces.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Prayers for a full recovery saddlesore!
Posted By: Riverc Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by benchman

256, 10 more pounds than 1-31-20.

Well, weight loss will be a start I went from 232 to 196. NP set me up with a blood pressure checker to take home it's setup with an app and goes to her phone so she can monitor. She said I could stop taking the meds it's been nearly a year and all good.
Weight loss cures many, many issues.

That, and smoking cessation.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
I'll also Pray saddlesore.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Are you 6’10”?

lol, I should have added I am 6’4.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Prayers for you and yours, Saddlesore. It don’t get much closer to the other side than where you’ve been and stopped just short of.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Go see someone. There's good advice and really bad advice on this thread. Go talk to a primary care doc or cardiologist.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Go see someone. There's good advice and really bad advice on this thread. Go talk to a primary care doc or cardiologist.

The best advice ^^^^.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Take what ever is necessary to drop that number and makes any changes anything in your life that needs changing. Forget that crap of you don't want to put meds in your body.That will get you dead.

I was just released from the hospital this afternoon. I had a stroke Friday mid day.Luckily my wife recognized the symptoms and she had me in the ER within 45 minutes. Another 45 minutes and they started a powerful drug to dissolve the blood clot.Then I spent 2 days days in the ICU doing CT scans, ultra sounds, EKG, Electrocardigrams, MRI etc. Because of the fast attention, I only have small pea size damage in my brain and I have retained almost all of my faculties. However I am now susceptible to another stroke in the future and I have damage. Recovery will not be fast.

My elk hunt in September is canceled. My wife's trip to Denali, which she was to leave this coming Tuesday is canceled. If I had waited to go to the hospital 4-5 hours later, they said I probably would not have survived. When they started to infuse that drug, it wasn't known if it would be successful.'
You get a chance to lay on a table and worry if you will become a vegetable or dead, you will change your attitude. My wife with her quick actions and prayers from others to God saved my life.To put it bluntly, Deflave and a few others are full of bull feces.

Damn dude, god’s speed.

Yeah I took my BP moments ago after eating 151/100. So I started the meds.

Then I realized that I took a partial part of the little blue pill when the GF got home…🤣🤣🤣😁
Posted By: Hastings Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Hastings - read this:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...d-to-do-this-and-i-mean-now#Post17399141
Ask your doc why you’re not on a RAAS inhibitor.
I didn't mention that I'm on Multaq also. Is that a drug included in your post? As I understood that is not a drug for blood pressure, but for AFIB. I had a cardiac ablation in 2013 for persistent AFIB and have only had a couple of brief episodes since, both times when it was hot weather and I got dehydrated.

I will try to copy that article and ask my cardiologist. I am doing pretty good except for hiking up hills. Have to stop and let things catch up.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22

Damn dude, god’s speed.
Then I realized that I took a partial part of the little blue pill when the GF got home…🤣🤣🤣😁
The little blue pill can drop blood pressure so I'm told.
So after taking a BP pill last, I checked my BP this morning, 85/79. Them little bastards work fast.

I’m still trying to quit chewing, for now I am using a nicotine product called ON.,little packets. I got on the old Nordi-Trak for a bit. Those ski machines kick your azz. Now for push-ups.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22

Before you go off the deep end and medication, do yourself the following:
1. Buy yourself a good BP machine (battery powered and automatic, they are under 100 bucks)
2. The CORRECT way to take your blood pressure is to be sitting down for AT LEAST TEN minutes, with your arm resting on something level with your heart or close to it.
4. About 40% of Americans suffer from "White Coat" hypertension, so odds are you are one of them. Most Fliers and type "A"s do suffer from this malady and I'n betting you do as well.

When I go to the doctor, my BP is almost invariably in the 140/90 range, my Doc who is also an AF (National Guard) Flight Surgeon laughs. When I'm home and take it as prescribed about, it runs about 112-115/60. So he put me on BP meds for a month, BP at home went even lower, 105/60s. I go back to the office and guess what it read? Yep, 140/90. BUT...during the course of the day, if will be higher, so keeping it in check is a wise idea. And yes, dropping weight will also help.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
my BP is just too low. Yesterday it was 109/60.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Lots of advice on here. But as I mentioned earlier, a little BB sized pill of Lisinopril daily would probably fix a lot of people's blood pressure problems.

It's surprising that such a small amount would do so much. But one little pill will knock my blood pressure down from 150/100 to 120/80 in about 90 minutes.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Lots of advice on here. But as I mentioned earlier, a little BB sized pill of Lisinopril daily would probably fix a lot of people's blood pressure problems.

It's surprising that such a small amount would do so much. But one little pill will knock my blood pressure down from 150/100 to 120/80 in about 90 minutes.

That's what I was taking still have some.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22

Damn dude, god’s speed.
The little blue pill can drop blood pressure so I'm told.

It can and does.

I currently take three meds for BPH effects, one of which is Cialis daily....

Dr took me OFF the Lisinopril, said I was getting as much or more BP reduction from the Cialis as I was the Lisinopril..... had a couple of 'bouts with LOW BP while taking both.....
Posted By: lastround Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Just checked mine. 114/71. I take mine every morning before I eat or drink anything. What I haven’t told you is that I am on medication, taken every morning after I eat and drink a cup of coffee. Seems to be working for me!
Originally Posted by lastround
Just checked mine. 114/71. I take mine every morning before I eat or drink anything. What I haven’t told you is that I am on medication, taken every morning after I eat and drink a cup of coffee. Seems to be working for me!

Just checked mine 103/59
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
So after taking a BP pill last, I checked my BP this morning, 85/79. Them little bastards work fast.

I’m still trying to quit chewing, for now I am using a nicotine product called ON.,little packets. I got on the old Nordi-Trak for a bit. Those ski machines kick your azz. Now for push-ups.

Fugg!

That don't sound right.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
My wife's blood pressure is like 97 /68.

I think if mine was like that I'd be in a coma
Posted By: Deans Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
PTL for your observant wife to keep you from a much more serious health issue. May God continue to bless you and your wife.

Prayers have been sent.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Blood pressure: Don’t leave home without it.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22

Fugg!

That don't sound right.

That’s too low

I’d be too weak and dizzy to walk around when my systolic dips below 100

As to Lisonipril.

Quite a few people (not all) develop a persistent cough with that drug. You’ll begin to think you have TB, mesothelioma, emphysema, covid, allergies, etc.

You’ll dick around with an aloof general practitioner for 6 months before “Colombo” figures it out.

So just be aware of that.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by KFWA

Mrs slumlord’s is ALWAYS about 90/60. And she will shower everything she eats with heavy sprinkle of that pink Himalayian Salt.

Another reason I want to slap Dr Mercola’s jowls. And Happy Camper’s too for always bragging about Dr Mercola. That so called Dr says there’s no harmful sodium in the pink salt. 🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️💁‍♂️💁‍♂️💁‍♂️
Originally Posted by slumlord
As to Lisonipril.

Quite a few people (not all) develop a persistent cough with that drug. You’ll begin to think you have TB, mesothelioma, emphysema, covid, allergies, etc.

You’ll dick around with an aloof general practitioner for 6 months before “Colombo” figures it out.

So just be aware of that.

They call it the ACE cough, named after the class of drug, ACE inhibitor. It’s common. Switch to an ARB, comparable efficacy and no cough.
Posted By: 16penny Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by KFWA

Mrs slumlord’s is ALWAYS about 90/60. And she will shower everything she eats with heavy sprinkle of that pink Himalayian Salt.

Another reason I want to slap Dr Mercola’s jowls. And Happy Camper’s too for always bragging about Dr Mercola. That so called Dr says there’s no harmful sodium in the pink salt. 🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️💁‍♂️💁‍♂️💁‍♂️

The salt is pink because the miner’s don’t wear shoes and they’re feet get cracked and bloody
Posted By: victoro Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Check your BP when you first get up in the morning, it will naturally go up when you are active. Reduce stress as much as possible from your life, get enough sleep (lack of sleep is very stressful), if you have a fat belly lose it, no caffeine/nicotine and take a long walk every day. When all the election fraud and covid lockdown was going on my BP was way higher than yours.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
You're a FOOL if you ignore doctor's advise to take BP meds !
Posted By: dale06 Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by gunswizard

That’s putting it mildly.
I take Benzonatate (Tesslon Pearls) for a cough due to Lisinopril and due to persistent cough due to lung condition
I take Benzonatate (Tesslon Pearls) for a cough due to Lisinopril and due to persistent cough due to lung condition

Yours is a story that deserves a second reading, Saddlesore.

What mg?
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by deflave
Buy a fugking FitBit or similar and pay attention to heart rate and how you're sleeping when compared to what you consume.

It's a lot cheaper than some dumb fugk doctor trying to play pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey on your dime.

It's also a lot more effective because most doctors are dumb fugks.

Yes, Doc.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22
I’ve been on a small Lisinopril for years. A little talk about kidney failure convinced me. Cheap, no side effects that I can detect. It’s possible I may be able to get off it when I reach my diet goal, but no big deal either way.

OTOH, I paid out-of-pocket for the test that allowed me to stay off the damned statins without being nagged for the rest of my life.
Originally Posted by Houston_2

What mg?
I was taking 10 mg 2x per day,now I am at 20mg 1/day. It was 125/60 this am ,but it was bouncing all around while in ICU. They were giving me 3 injections a day to try to bring it down. Sometimes a diuretic is added to make it work better, but for old guys it sure makes you pee a lot. I don't take that anymore
Posted By: victoro Re: Blood Pressure - 08/01/22

You're a worst fool if you don't try to lower your blood pressure yourself first. Most doctors these days are expected to prescribe as many drugs as possible by their employer.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Blood Pressure - 08/02/22
Originally Posted by victoro

You're a worst fool if you don't try to lower your blood pressure yourself first. Most doctors these days are expected to prescribe as many drugs as possible by their employer.

Lowering hypertension is inclusive of eating healthy, exersize, loosing weight,stop using tobacco, relieve stressful situations, and if required meds. People in pain like from arthritis or are genetically disposed have increased hypertension and all the life style changes won't help with that. The fools are ones that don't look at everything and self medicate and think they know everything. There are doctors that are not in that"MOST" category. Thank God a team of them saved my life or kept me from being paralyzed last Friday night
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Blood Pressure - 08/02/22
Originally Posted by victoro

Take the meds, reduce the risk NOW.

Diet and exercise, hit the goal, stop taking meds.

Why continue the risk?
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Blood Pressure - 08/02/22
Originally Posted by Houston_2

What mg?

10 mg
© 24hourcampfire