Home
Posted By: Hookset Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
I saw another thread that got me thinking about it. Those of us over 50 or so, how many of us are happy? For myself, I'm probably happier than I've been in a very long time. I went through some tough times over the last decade or so with my wife's cancer and I lost her after 28 years of marriage two years ago.
But my kids and grandkids are doing well and I get to spend time with them often, I have a few really good friends, a decent job and a good life. I have a new woman in my life who is absolutely amazing and I'm in pretty good health for 54 years old. I retired from the military and have made relatively responsible financial decisions over the years, so I'm pretty secure and should have a pretty comfortable retirement. Not rich, but I'm doing okay. I have a couple of really good dogs that I enjoy training and competing with in retriever hunt tests and field trials. I have a few nice guns that I don't shoot nearly often enough. I live in a place with great fishing that I should take advantage of more often.
I'm thankful for where I am in life.
I hope this doesn't come off as "look at me. My life is great!" That's not the point at all. Of course, I have my struggles and challenges just like everyone else. I'm just curious if most of us here are generally happy with our lives and our choices or if I'm an exception.
Sure hasnt turned out the way I wanted or expected.
Not sure if Im happy
Know Im not unhappy.

Just a mellow dont give a chit
Oh, blow it out your ass, Howard.
Posted By: skeen Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by Hookset
Older guys - are you happy?

Yes.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Who's Howard?
Blazing Saddles
Originally Posted by skeen

Who's Howard?

He owns the ice cream parlor.
GFY

Be happy your sorry ass was allowed to wake up!!
Overall yes, great daughter and a wonderful wife of 25 years. Financially we're in a good spot.

If I could go back in time, yes, a few things I would change.

I could die today and not have regrets
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
I have been blessed for sure. Yes, I’m happy where I’m at in life. Good wife, good job with retirement around the corner, have good health, roof over my head and the pantry is full.

Headed over to the cabin this afternoon for a few days of rest and “non-thinking” work. Being alone with the wife and pups is what I want, what I like most. Don’t need a beach, restaurant or anyone else around. Just the mountains to hike in and a river to fish when I want.
100% Happy, 0% Regrets.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
I'd be a lot happier if everything still worked like it did when I was 18
Life couldn’t be better here! I retired last year at 48. Have a wonderful wife and the kids seem to be turning out well. We’re all healthy. I’ve got everything I need or want, and do what I want to do when I want to do it. What more could a guy ask for?
Best time of my life….
Got divorced, buddy died, lost my job/career.
Good times LMAO.

Things kinda worked out, took a while.
Proly wont be able to retire.

Ill just work til I keel over. Setting money back due to kid having health issues ( genetic so no grandkids ).

Oh well.

Theres deer to be killed and grilled before Im done.
Cant wait for late October.

I recharge my soul then.
Got a new recurve thats itching to blood.
Posted By: RLA Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by 338rcm
I'd be a lot happier if everything still worked like it did when I was 18

X2

I think at my age, I would say I am content.
Originally Posted by hookeye
Blazing Saddles

I don’t generally think in terms of happy or unhappy. It is what it is.
I feel like a blind man on a train. I don’t know what’s around the bend, but I’ll deal with when it gets here as best I can. As long as I can feel the rumble of the wheels on the track underneath me then I know that I’m still traveling, and that in it’s self has always been a source of contentment for me.
We all have a front row seat to the only show in town, might as well make the best of it!
Yes, I am at 66. Divorced since 2008. Had a couple GFs, but never got serious. They wanted marriage, see you later. I have a new truck, RV, Sportster, and ATV. Do what I want when I want. Own my home, and a great dog. Life is great.
72, been married 52 years come October. Happier than I've ever been. Life is good. Of course, that can change in a heartbeat, but that can happen at any age. I still am able to do pretty much anything I want to, or need to, so I've no complaints at this stage of my life.
Generally not happy or unhappy. Just dealing with life and it’s curve balls.
Originally Posted by flagstaff

Yeah when you slow/ settle down its easier to deal w the curve balls.
Originally Posted by Azmarlin39a
Yes, I am at 66. Divorced since 2008. Had a couple GFs, but never got serious. They wanted marriage, see you later. I have a new truck, RV, Sportster, and ATV. Do what I want when I want. Own my home, and a great dog. Life is great.

My man.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by flagstaff

Yeah when you slow/ settle down its easier to deal w the curve balls.
Well I don’t know about that, but it sure makes it feel like you don’t have to swing at every pitch that’s thrown at you!
laugh
I'm OK. Could be a lot happier if I had a retirement to look forward to and a wife who could find some happiness. Unfortunately, I'm one of those types who struggles to maintain happiness when those around me, particularly my wife, isn't happy. The mood just bleeds over, I guess.

Generally though, I'm pretty content.
Posted By: SKane Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
I'm the same age as you (OP) but am having a hard time coming to grips that 54 is now referred to as "older guys"... laugh

Zero complaints otherwise.
Originally Posted by SKane
I'm the same age as you (OP) but am having a hard time coming to grips that 54 is now referred to as "older guys"... laugh

I hear you. I'm 53. The only blood related men older than me are my dad, 82, and my uncle at 85. When they're gone, I'm the patriarch of the family. That has me thinking, WTH?
Posted By: Huntz Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
Things have been better,but not much worse with Joey in The White House.
[Linked Image from 4.bp.blogspot.com]
Content for now. Happy comes during hunting season and the holiday season for me. I never really liked summer.
No.

But that's life.

I just have to do better.
Happy???
I’d be happier if I had hit that big lotto jackpot… I’m ok though…not happy, not sad. Both are transitory…gotta replace my swamp cooler pads today and am happy that I can, but I’d be happier if I didn’t have to…
Almost 60,retired and happy as hell.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
I’m good. There have been happier and less happy times throughout my life; that’s life.
Originally Posted by bruinruin

I hear you. I'm 53. The only blood related men older than me are my dad, 82, and my uncle at 85. When they're gone, I'm the patriarch of the family. That has me thinking, WTH?

Yup. Me and cuz, we both lost our dads last yr.
So now we are the old guys (both almost 60).
Strange how all of a sudden "it" happens.

Hopefully we have a good deer season this yr (cuz and I hunt together).
Pretty much live for deer season.
Used to hunt a really cool spot.
Nothing even half as good since.

Aint bitchin. Just is what it is.
Was fortunate enough to hunt a good spot for damn near 20 yrs.

Things change.
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
GFY

Sharpsman seems exceptionally happy.
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Yup. Me and cuz, we both lost our dads last yr.
So now we are the old guys (both almost 60).
Strange how all of a sudden "it" happens.

Hopefully we have a good deer season this yr (cuz and I hunt together).
Pretty much live for deer season.
Used to hunt a really cool spot.
Nothing even half as good since.

Aint bitchin. Just is what it is.
Was fortunate enough to hunt a good spot for damn near 20 yrs.

Things change.
"Things change"

Ain't that the truth. I'm a slow learner at life, but ven I've realized that if you're feeling on top of the world, hold on because it won't last long. Not a complaint, but an observation. Nothing stays the same very long. Conditions like happy or sad are, as Middlefork_Miner said above, transitory.
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
GFY

Sharpsman seems exceptionally happy.

That particular offering from sharpsman could be definitely be classified as chipper compared to most of grumpy-grump's posts.
Posted By: MAC Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
For the most part yes. Retired from the USN and have a good teaching job. At 59 years old I can see retirement in the near future. Got to meet and marry a great gal. Done a lot of hunting and fishing all over the world. Able to live comfortably and not worry about $$$. Not much to complain about. I think the only things I would do different was to spend more time with my father before cancer took him. Got wrapped up in a military career and lost focus on the old man and then suddenly he was gone. That is my biggest regret.
At a point where IDGAF.
Happy? Not happy?
Really don't care.
Kinda like it, don't get excited about much. Sometimes that's bad. Mostly, it's good.
Posted By: poboy Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
Living it day to day. Pickin' up the pieces
where ever they fall.
yes very happy , they were muslims . they deserved it.
Used to bother me, life's BS.

Look back at injustices and think " if only theyd not done that ".
But they did.

And they will again. Because people suck.

Not sure how for forgive, don't really care. Just dont' fall for that "what if?" mentality and move on.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
There are three signs of old age.

1. Being forgetful.
Things are pretty good at the moment! Met a Great lady 3 years ago after a Divorce, we got married bought a home on a small lake, retired, she going to work 2 more years. Country is in bad shape, FJB hoping that will change!, Got a good pup, hunting season is coming up . I shooting more than I have, this summer. Hearts doing good also! So Life is good for now!
Being happy is a choice. And I chose to be happy. Hasbeen
If you are vertical and breathing, everything else is gravy.
Happy being retired and with the things at home.

Not at all happy with the way the country is headed.
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Being happy is a choice. And I chose to be happy. Hasbeen
Bingo!

Happiness doesn't depend on anything external. Sometimes conditions are uncomfortable to downright schitty, sometimes not. You only have a tiny amount of control over what happens around you and you have no control over how other people treat you, but you always have 100% control over how you react to it.
North side of 70, and other than dealing with health issues and the normal lessening of physical ability due to age, I have few complaints. Very little stress, good family relations, finances are in order and close friends to hang out with. Hunting, fishing and shooting available at any time. 4X4 trail riding close by.
I'm 76, married for 50 years, health is good, and although I had many ideas about my future, I didn't expect to see any
of them to be anything other than dreams.
I still have plans for the future, and hopefully some of them will happen!!
One plan I will be able to complete is being born in Big Sky Country and dying here.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I’m thankful and grateful for my life as it is. I may not have everything I want, but I’m thankful and grateful for what I do have.

And also for what I have been spared.
Posted By: hanco Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
I’m very lucky, healthy(so far), got a great retirement. I have a great wifey, kids all successful, yep I’m happy! Married 36 years on Monday!
I am happy. I choose to be. It isn't about external forces. It is about how I handle them. Life is good.
I feel pretty fortunate considering my track record of ,not stepping, but diving head first into piles of self destructive crap.......usually it's something I say.....

I consider myself Damn lucky actually but it can all go south in a hurry.........
Fughkin A man, just living the dream, happy with dimocommies doing their thing.

Loving the high gas and food prices, lying MSM and dumbasses who believe them

But hey, as Hustoned and Suckawhore and Jell0 say, the prices for illegal drugs is A - OK.

Ten bucks for a box of low brass dove is nothing less than a blessing from above.
"happiness" is a social construct ...... LOL
Posted By: EdM Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
We are fine.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Fughkin A man, just living the dream, happy with dimocommies doing their thing.

Loving the high gas and food prices, lying MSM and dumbasses who believe them

But hey, as Hustoned and Suckawhore and Jell0 say, the prices for illegal drugs is A - OK.

Ten bucks for a box of low brass dove is nothing less than a blessing from above.
Dude,
If you allow some pricks in Washington D.C. that much space rent free in your head, you aren’t doing this life thing correctly.
I am happy that I am not jag.

mike r
I am still carrying more of the family load than I wish I was. I wish my kids aimed a little higher in life. They haven't made dangerous or illegal choices, just seem to be living hobby lives with no eye for their futures. We've had to help out a few times too many but we did it hoping it would spark a change. Married for 38 years now and retired at 56. I have more good days than rough days.
All in all it could be a lot worse.

If Happiness is a Warm Gun........

then I am extremely happy!

ya!

GWB
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
71 and I'm single and happy. I get to do what I want to when I want to.
Fixing to be, going to sell my house, divorce my old lady and live by myself and have my girlfriend over when I feel like it.
Posted By: dpd Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
Yes I’m happy . I got a second chance at marriage 9 years ago.Retired almost a year now. Just made 60. It all worked out good . Spend a lot of my time taking care of my Dad and Mom. Both are 87 . I’m blessed to still have them .
Haven’t had this much fun since the hogs ate my baby brother!
I think that we are doing all right.

I have been retired for 12 years the wife 14 years.

We have been able to travel, live in a nice home and our health is good.

Health is something that catches up with us all as we age, getting new eyes, some new joints allowed us the ability to enjoy our hobbies.

Covid kind of slowed us down some what on the travel, however we still see friends, eat out 1 to 2 times a week and can afford to put food on the table.

Over all life has been good to us.
I am 52, never thought of myself as old, but I suppose that I should get used to it. I would say that I am probably as happy as I have ever been. I have a great wife and we made the decision together about 6 months ago to roll the dice and take a different path in life. It has worked out better than we could have dreamed, with a new house, new community, new friends and lots of new activities to do.
I'm only 49, but I'm going to answer.

NOPE. Wife (7 years younger) is going through early mid-life crisis and acting like she's 20 and forgetting that her going to work everyday costs us money. We have young kids not yet in school, late start for both of us. She forgets that if she's off and running every weekend, me and more importantly the boys don't get time with her.

Lost my Dad 7 weeks ago.

Looking at a health mandated career change and major back and neck surgery with 50/50 odds of me walking normal again.

Went to church for the first time in years this morning. I know this is where I need to start. I'll make damn sure my boys grow up to be men. Somehow, I'll figure it out, but I'm guessing I'll ultimately have to do it on my own.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
Happy is different for everyone. I'm so happy, that other worry about being happy. Me I just keep grinning and laughing, at those stuck in their desperation! Ya I am happy, and easy to entertain.
Now that's a trick question. Most people that know me except maybe those that know me the very best I think I've got the world by the horns. What they don't see is the stress of trying to keep what you got a hold of in one piece in good shape and going. Just like today it's been kind of a s***** day that you have to roll on tomorrow and fix it . Hopefully tomorrow will go smoother. But there's times it can be quite depressing when you have things you can't control when they keep battering you.
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
I'm only 49, but I'm going to answer.

NOPE. Wife (7 years younger) is going through early mid-life crisis and acting like she's 20 and forgetting that her going to work everyday costs us money. We have young kids not yet in school, late start for both of us. She forgets that if she's off and running every weekend, me and more importantly the boys don't get time with her.

Lost my Dad 7 weeks ago.

Looking at a health mandated career change and major back and neck surgery with 50/50 odds of me walking normal again.

Went to church for the first time in years this morning. I know this is where I need to start. I'll make damn sure my boys grow up to be men. Somehow, I'll figure it out, but I'm guessing I'll ultimately have to do it on my own.

Happiness is subject to the changes and chances of life (vicissitudes).

Joy on the other hand......

https://www.blogos.org/exploringtheword/GG-makarios-blessed.php

The phrase "count it all joy" comes from the King James Version of James 1:2 (also ESV, NKJV). Other translations have "Consider it pure joy" (NIV), "Consider it all joy" (NASB), and "consider it an opportunity for great joy" (NLT). The broader context is this: "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing" (James 1:2–4).

https://www.compellingtruth.org/count-it-all-joy.html

ya!

GWB
Posted By: Moses Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
High School\College Sweetheart...married her as college graduates in 1982. Taught Phys Sciences, Biology, Drivers Ed, Coached football 21 years (83% wins), retired after 36 years. Have hunted the same family land/mountain (382 acres) in WV since 1972...every Thanksgiving week for 50 years this November. Miss the old days when you just "hunted" for miles. No one worried about property lines. Now Tucker County WV has become a mtn/ski destination. A lot of the properties have been bought...divided...posted. Different times...I guess it has to be. Still married to my baby-doll and heading to the hill in November. Population still less than 7000 in the county.
One thing about unhappiness or maybe a little severe than that depression. A lot of people that suffer from depression other people seeing is very happy and carefree great examples are Robin Williams and Owen Wilson both suicide victims.
Originally Posted by antlers
I’m thankful and grateful for my life as it is. I may not have everything I want, but I’m thankful and grateful for what I do have.

And also for what I have been spared.

I don't presume to have any answers about life, but I think what you wrote may be the key. An attitude of gratitude sure can make life enjoyable. The second part of your statement is as important as the first. We should be thankful for what we've received and earned and also for what we've been spared. No matter how bad things have gotten for me over the years, I've never had to look very far to see someone dealing with much tougher challenges than mine.
I bet I would be much happier if I turned off the news.
Ask me when I'm old. I'm only 75.
Yes, sometimes sad, that's how it goes.
Originally Posted by ldholton
One thing about unhappiness or maybe a little severe than that depression. A lot of people that suffer from depression other people seeing is very happy and carefree great examples are Robin Williams and Owen Wilson both suicide victims.

I agree. Although Owen Wilson is still upright.
Not very

Have many regerts
Posted By: pal Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
It's funny, alone at 78, looking back at failed marriages, several near-death experiences, crippling injuries, 2 bankruptcies, recently losing my home and shop, and serious doubts about my financial future, that I am still happy and actually feel blessed for my good health and ability to pursue my life's work.

I agree. Although Owen Wilson is still upright.
You had me curious I might be mistaken you are correct he is still alive 2007 was a suicide attempt. I was remembering as he was successful to put it rudely. Glad he's still alive and got help
Owen Wilson ain't dead.
Originally Posted by geedubya
Happiness is subject to the changes and chances of life (vicissitudes).

Joy on the other hand......

https://www.blogos.org/exploringtheword/GG-makarios-blessed.php

The phrase "count it all joy" comes from the King James Version of James 1:2 (also ESV, NKJV). Other translations have "Consider it pure joy" (NIV), "Consider it all joy" (NASB), and "consider it an opportunity for great joy" (NLT). The broader context is this: "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing" (James 1:2–4).

https://www.compellingtruth.org/count-it-all-joy.html

ya!

GWB

Right on GW. Good stuff.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by RMiller2
I bet I would be much happier if I turned off the news.

You would be I know I am we turned the Tv off several months ago. Not sure when I will turn it back on.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 07/31/22
I have my ups and downs but ok with me. I am not happy with the direction this country is headed screwed up people in this country.
Ill be 76 this month. Wife and I are both retired and healthy. Life is good.
I would be happier if that 27 year old bartender at the local watering hole started putting out once in a while. smile
55, divorced, kiddos all growed up, ok job, no debt.
Live alone in the woods with my horses and dog.
Life is good and I'm happy AF.
Hookset: I am over the moon happy with my life!
I have been retired now for 24 1/2 years and live in a low tax, low stress, friendly people populated state (Montana) with absolutely UNLIMITED recreational opportunities right out my back door.
My home has long been paid for my 6 vehicles are all paid for and, like you, my earlier in life frugality is really paying off now.
My health is excellent for my age and other than a Rattlesnake bite, a bout of Kidney Stones and a new artificial knee 3 years ago I have steered clear of the Doctors.
Dittos for never having to deal with a lawyer of any kind, for any reason, for the last 24 1/2 years!
I have four young adult children who all now have productive lives and good jobs all with health care!
I have also been blessed with two VarmintGrandChildren (a boy and a girl) - and my VarmintGrandDaughter is doing really well in college.
I wake up each morning and often, literally, count my blessings - #1 of which is my 50 year relationship/marriage with the VarmintWife.
And on that point I wish to send my condolences to you on the loss of your wife a couple years back.
Life is incredibly good for me - beyond ANY expectations I ever had!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I’m happier than I deserve to be.

Got a better wife than I deserve.

Better health than I deserve.

More money than I deserve.

Better kids than I deserve.

I got it made and I know it.

I give thanks to God every day.

P
Posted By: mikieb Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 08/01/22
I was reading that other thread also and it got me to thinking....

At 58. I don't owe any one any money.... no kids to support... no ex-wife to haunt me... I live in a quaint little ranch house that no woman ever wanted to move into... I keep it warm in the winter, cool in the summer.... cupboards are full... house is clean (enough for a man and his dog) 2 1/2 car garage with a new fishing boat in it.... a nice pick-up and a little car for fetching grocery's.. one trip out west every year for deer or elk... Some years I have gone twice...

Instead of dumping money in a 401k I bought land... I have 80 acers that I get taxed to death on... and I still have a fair amount in a 401K and IRA for safety sakes... My net worth is just under $450k and I still have 10 years to work yet. I should get it to double in the next 10 years.

My health is excellent well, maybe about 20lbs over weight... but manageable... I have a young bird hunting dog that requires me to walk him every day and some days twice...

My job is 3 days a week, 16 hour days each, then I am done for the week.

My life is PERFICT !

I am kicking around ideas on making out my last will and testament. Who do I leave this all to ?? I don't have any family members that I want to leave it to... I was thinking of leaving all my large assets to American Prairie Reserve or Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation... not sure.
I’m 62. Retired from a 33 year LEO career in 2018. I’m busier now than when I was Police Officer. Between church volunteering, and working 2 days a week driving organ transplant surgeons around the state, I’m busy a lot. I’m a happy man. Love my wife of 41 years. Grandkids are awesome. The Lord has been good to me.

Ron
Originally Posted by mikieb
I was reading that other thread also and it got me to thinking....

At 58. I don't owe any one any money.... no kids to support... no ex-wife to haunt me... I live in a quaint little ranch house that no woman ever wanted to move into... I keep it warm in the winter, cool in the summer.... cupboards are full... house is clean (enough for a man and his dog) 2 1/2 car garage with a new fishing boat in it.... a nice pick-up and a little car for fetching grocery's.. one trip out west every year for deer or elk... Some years I have gone twice...

Instead of dumping money in a 401k I bought land... I have 80 acers that I get taxed to death on... and I still have a fair amount in a 401K and IRA for safety sakes... My net worth is just under $450k and I still have 10 years to work yet. I should get it to double in the next 10 years.

My health is excellent well, maybe about 20lbs over weight... but manageable... I have a young bird hunting dog that requires me to walk him every day and some days twice...

My job is 3 days a week, 16 hour days each, then I am done for the week.

My life is PERFICT !

I am kicking around ideas on making out my last will and testament. Who do I leave this all to ?? I don't have any family members that I want to leave it to... I was thinking of leaving all my large assets to American Prairie Reserve or Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation... not sure.

Leave it to me.

I’d appreciate it more.

P
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Haven’t had this much fun since the hogs ate my baby brother!
I lol'd out loud.

Happy here. Even when I'm pissed off. We only have one turn on this merry-go-round of life, chase your happiness.
Posted By: Osky Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 08/01/22
Happy with where I am?

If things were any better I’d think it was a set up.
Life is good.

Osky
Ive never been happy ,don't know what that even means. I'm happy? GTFO of here retards. Nobody is happy. Being miserable is part of the human condition.
Originally Posted by Hookset
I saw another thread that got me thinking about it. Those of us over 50 or so, how many of us are happy? For myself, I'm probably happier than I've been in a very long time. I went through some tough times over the last decade or so with my wife's cancer and I lost her after 28 years of marriage two years ago.
But my kids and grandkids are doing well and I get to spend time with them often, I have a few really good friends, a decent job and a good life. I have a new woman in my life who is absolutely amazing and I'm in pretty good health for 54 years old. I retired from the military and have made relatively responsible financial decisions over the years, so I'm pretty secure and should have a pretty comfortable retirement. Not rich, but I'm doing okay. I have a couple of really good dogs that I enjoy training and competing with in retriever hunt tests and field trials. I have a few nice guns that I don't shoot nearly often enough. I live in a place with great fishing that I should take advantage of more often.
I'm thankful for where I am in life.
I hope this doesn't come off as "look at me. My life is great!" That's not the point at all. Of course, I have my struggles and challenges just like everyone else. I'm just curious if most of us here are generally happy with our lives and our choices or if I'm an exception.

Translation:

"Are you happy? Because I'm doing great!"

LOL

I'll send you a D-Bag hat for Christmas.
Originally Posted by pal
It's funny, alone at 78, looking back at failed marriages, several near-death experiences, crippling injuries, 2 bankruptcies, recently losing my home and shop, and serious doubts about my financial future, that I am still happy and actually feel blessed for my good health and ability to pursue my life's work.

Downs Syndrome is an amazing thing.
You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
If you can put up with your body wearing out and failed health, yea you can be happy. You got to work at it though.Retirement in your 60's is fun, after 70, not so much.
Interesting question. I'm in my 60's and work 100 hrs a week, lately in a chill factor of 110°. Then I mow grass, maintain equipment and house, deer lease and "life" stuff when I'm "off".

Am I happy? I look around at the lazy ass people my age growing into their easy chairs, barely able to walk to the refrigerator or the pharmacy.

Hell yeah I'm happy.
Posted By: pal Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by pal

Guess this means you're a very unhappy man.
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

Hehehe. Winner winner chicken dinner.....

GOD bless you, Pal.
Freaking A im overjoyed im not 18 with a square dick a tom cat couldnt scratch again. Sheesh. shocked
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Where?

Oh yes. Hollywood and Whore Houses.
Posted By: Papag Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 08/01/22
Without expounding, at 77, plugg no!
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

GOD bless you, Pal.
Deflave is the closest thing to happy I've ever seen.
Yes,
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

How do you lose your home and shop at 78? Asking only because I’d like to not find myself in that position in 28 years. Please tell me it wasn’t because you bought a beach house at 50 and drank to excess?
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

How do you lose your home and shop at 78? Asking only because I’d like to not find myself in that position in 28 years. Please tell me it wasn’t because you bought a beach house at 50 and drank to excess?

Been renting the same place over 40 years (shop space with a yard for my travel trailer). Because of extraordinary property value increases in this area my landlady decided she will turn it into a luxury apartment.
Absolutely, aside from a little heart trouble things are beautiful. I lost a very unhappy wife in '86 and she turned our 2 year old son over to me. I remarried a pediatric nurse RN-NP that loves kids and wants everybody around her to be happy. The most selfless saint I know. She took my son as her own and produced two daughters in short order. We acquired over 300 acres of land and live in the old board and batten house that my first wife abandoned. Everything is paid for and there is money left over to help folks with after stashing a little. We don't drive fancy vehicles but they are plenty good. I retired 11 years ago and keep a few cows and get by with a 42 year old 5600 Ford tractor and a few implements. The kids got good educations, a teacher, an RN, a lawyer so they can make it. We have friends and family and a good church group that's not too hard on me for rejecting Paul's alleged writings and our Baptist church goes lightly on condemning light alcohol use for the most part.

I know I've got limited time left but so does everybody so I can't complain. I am just very grateful for the good luck and good breaks I've had. And even though I'm trying to find forgiveness for my father giving me some brutal beatings and not explaining why he did one time give me some wonderful advice I took to heart. He told me "if you can keep from having money trouble you'll have a whole lot less other trouble". I have since come to conclude he had PTSD from being on USN ships from the beginning of the Jap war and further being a officer aboard a battleship at Surigao Strait where the Jap fleet was sunk. I found out from a U.S. Marine relative aboard the Denver that the swimming 1000s of Jap sailors were strafed with machine gun fire until none were left. He also divorced his unfaithful wife after the war and married my mother 15 years younger than him. Probably didn't think that one through. Old man and 4 young kids could be taxing on the nerves. He died in 1978 a very unhappy man dealing with my suddenly assertive mother and my at the time 16 year old sister really born into his old age.

So, absolutely I'm happy, most people have it much worse.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

GOD bless you, Pal.
Deflave is the closest thing to happy I've ever seen.

Not me. I used to check the eyes every six months or year of the guys and gals who were brain damaged as kids residing in the Mariah Flats state home. They hadn't a bad bone in their body and ever knew the audacity or effrontery that resides in Travis' personality.
Originally Posted by pal
Been renting the same place over 40 years (shop space with a yard for my travel trailer). Because of extraordinary property value increases in this area my landlady decided she will turn it into a luxury apartment.
Renting is a good way to end up out of business at an inopportune time. I don't know how many herd dispersals I've seen on account of rented pastures forcing the sale.
Posted By: WAM Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 08/01/22
Got decent health, great wife of 50 years last month, 2 houses, more hunting implements than I can use, enough retirement income that I don’t have to worry about how much I spend (I watch my spending though), good hunt club in Alabama, great elk hunting ranch of friend of mine in Colorado, and good hunting buds. What else is there? Happy Trails!
To paraphrase Charles' Darwin. It ain't about being strong or smart...it's about being able to adapt.
Posted By: Huncho Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 08/01/22
I owned a big boat
two houses
some nice cars
have lots of investment
hunting
shooting
eating right
No health issues. (Nothing major)

have a loving wife. this list goes on.... I am blessed and have so many reasons to be happy.
Life is about meeting one’s responsibilities to those around us, do that and you’ll be content.

Happiness comes and goes.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Life is about meeting one’s responsibilities to those around us, do that and you’ll be content.

Happiness comes and goes.
Content is a better word. Happy is for dumbschits.
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

I'm very happy.

I don't have Downs Syndrome.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Poor Jake busting his ass while the town idiot snaps pictures at the second hand store.

LOL
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

GOD bless you, Pal.

Speaking of retards...
Not me. I used to check the eyes every six months or year of the guys and gals who were brain damaged as kids residing in the Mariah Flats state home. They hadn't a bad bone in their body and ever knew the audacity or effrontery that resides in Travis' personality.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Happiness to me is waking up with a terrible hangover. On a Thursday. And knowing you have to be at an important meeting. So you press onward, and you get out of bed. You shave. You shower. You put on the business dress attire that your blacked out self somehow managed to starch and press with impeccable creases the night before.

You drink three cups of coffee and take a cold shower in hopes of looking presentable.

And then, when you’re fifteen minutes away, sitting at a red light, surrounded by mask wearing idiots, wishing and wanting nothing more than one (or three) drinks so you could get back to feeling human again, your phone gives two subtle vibrations letting you know you have an e-mail.

You open that e-mail and find that the meeting has been canceled. A wave of relief washes over you and that relief quickly turns to elation when you realize you’re only three blocks from one of your favorite dark corners.

You walk in, they know you. Your ice cold relief lands on top of the bar top at the same moment you plant yourself in the stool.

The bartender says nothing. Because you know she doesn’t really like you, which means she is deeply in love with you but won’t admit it because she knows you’re better than she is, or ever will be.

You take a sip and immediately feel less horrible, and you know you’re only six-nine more pints away from feeling great.

That’s happiness to me.
Happiness to me is waking up with a terrible hangover. On a Thursday. And knowing you have to be at an important meeting. So you press onward, and you get out of bed. You shave. You shower. You put on the business dress attire that your blacked out self somehow managed to starch and press with impeccable creases the night before.

You drink three cups of coffee and take a cold shower in hopes of looking presentable.

And then, when you’re fifteen minutes away, sitting at a red light, surrounded by mask wearing idiots, wishing and wanting nothing more than one (or three) drinks so you could get back to feeling human again, your phone gives two subtle vibrations letting you know you have an e-mail.

You open that e-mail and find that the meeting has been canceled. A wave of relief washes over you and that relief quickly turns to elation when you realize you’re only three blocks from one of your favorite dark corners.

You walk in, they know you. Your ice cold relief lands on top of the bar top at the same moment you plant yourself in the stool.

The bartender says nothing. Because you know she doesn’t really like you, which means she is deeply in love with you but won’t admit it because she knows you’re better than she is, or ever will be.

You take a sip and immediately feel less horrible, and you know you’re only six-nine more pints away from feeling great.

That’s happiness to me.

Now I remember you, one of the RatPack
A wave of relief washes over you and that relief quickly turns to elation when you realize you’re only three blocks from one of your favorite dark corners.

Uh oh, better get the monkey pox shot.

That’s happiness to me.

You must be the unhappiest guy on the fire. I really hope you get help.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 08/01/22
Been every where i ever wanted to go, done every thing on my buck list, have every thing i ever wanted, live in a great place, hunt about 7 months of the year, Happy and Content, whats not to like.
Rio7
I firmly believe we are all what we choose to be. Me…I am golden. YMMV.
Deflave is Mike Hammer. If you aren't rejoicing every day just come to the CF and you will soon feel like a very lucky man. Life is good here.

mike r
Blessed !
I have learned n whatever situation I am to be content.
Posted By: Sbrown Re: Older guys - are you happy? - 08/01/22
Alive at 73! Good health, great wife, debt free!
What’s not to like The good Lord let’s me wake up in the morning,able to get out of the bed. Happy as I can be!!
Originally Posted by pal

That’s happiness to me.

You must be the unhappiest guy on the fire. I really hope you get help.

Just a facade and nothing more.
Yes, I am happy. I have good friends. I fish and hunt. I am not rich but financially stable and can afford to do many things. My job affords me the ability to travel and still work. I love my job and work with my friends. There are things I wish I had but they are minimal. A few years ago I got a second chance at life after a life threatening illness and Im going to have grand time for however long I live. That might be another hour or 30 years. I have very little to no drama in my life and plan to keep it that way. I cant wait for hunting season to start.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
A wave of relief washes over you and that relief quickly turns to elation when you realize you’re only three blocks from one of your favorite dark corners.

Uh oh, better get the monkey pox shot.

Check out San Antonio going all San Antonio.

LOL
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Just a facade and nothing more.

This coming from the guy that had to change his handle.

LOL
Seeing a tow truck barrel down the interstate while carrying the remnants of a vehicle that assuredly involved a fatality.

In the rear window of the mangled vehicle you see a "Coexist" sticker.

That's happiness to me.
Alive at 82, debt free, great wife and friends, decent health, fantastic rifles, my own range back to 1000 yards, and can still shoot 2” groups from 600 yards! What the hell is there not to like!!

I’m a troll!
© 24hourcampfire