Home
Posted By: JakeBlues Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
I love good deviled eggs and have tweaked my recipe over the years. Unfortunately, I brought some to a BBQ and now I'm the designated deviled eggs bringing guy for family gatherings šŸ¤Ŗ Everyone's taste is different but if you're looking for a decent recipe you can try this one. It assumes you've made a dozen large hard "boiled" eggs using your method of choice. Lately, I've been using the pressure cooker but am planning on trying in the oven in a mini cup cake pan.

Make a powder of the yokes in one bowl. Cook 2 strips of thin bacon crispy, chop or grind the bacon into a powder and mix with the yoke powder. In a separate bowl mix together the following liquids and spices:

3 tbsp mayonnaise
3 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp dill pickle juice
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp apple vinegar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder

Slowly fold the yoke and bacon powder into the above mixture. At some point it'll be clear you need more liquid. Add mayonnaise sparingly to mix the rest of the yoke and bacon powder, keeping it semi firm but foldable. I don't do any fancy squirting method into the egg white halves, I just spoon it in and sprinkle a light dust of paprika on top.

Please share if you have any secret ingredients.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Some of them tore me up at church business meeting. Thought I had worms for few days.
Posted By: pahick Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
They sound good! I love em too much, but realized my limit is 3 before I offend others, 5 to offend myself.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Bit of cayenne pepper or Valentinos sauce and dill relish instead of the dill juice.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
These are awesome.

Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by slumlord
Some of them tore me up at church business meeting. Thought I had worms for few days.

Gotta watch what Sister Geraldine bringsā€¦.

Boomers donā€™t believe in putting the Mayernaise in the ā€˜frigā€¦.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
I like a little diced jalapeƱo pepper in mine.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

She stole the lid to our Crockpot last dinner we had. Canā€™t have nothin nice.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
For a few decades the wife and I were designated DE. Daughter #1 has taken over that role thank goodness.

Pickled jalapeƱo juice instead of pickle juice and dice it you like it with a little zip. Thousands of variations obviously.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: steve4102 Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Thanks, I love Deviled Eggs, gunna try your recipe soon, maybe even today.
Posted By: yeselk Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
2 tbs of Worcestershire
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
I was thinking instead of the bacon powder mixed in, maybe chop the bacon into bits and top the eggs with bacon bits and chopped chives.
If you make egg salad, do you guys just use the same recipe and dice the whites or do you use a totally different recipe?
Posted By: lastround Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Iā€™m sure all the recipes here make good deviled eggs, but they will have a hard time beating the ones that my wife makes. And no, Iā€™m not sucking up to her. She never gets on 24 Hour Campfire so she wonā€™t see this post.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
You had me at baconā€¦
Posted By: Scotty Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
I enjoy eating them. I am always looking at ways to make them better.
Posted By: MARCEL Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Tag. Thanks JB
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
You had me at baconā€¦
šŸ˜‚
Salmon caper and smoked pulled pork.

Posted By: SuperCub Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
I've had them with curry and other clorp mixed in. I liked them.
Posted By: hanco Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Wifey makes some good ones, they make me fart!
Posted By: Nollij Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Paprika is a must! We get all Cool Hand Luke over a plate of them. I usually eat more than I should, but damn they're good.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Grossest thing I ever saw... And they smell like chit too... Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww...
Originally Posted by Nollij
Paprika is a must! We get all Cool Hand Luke over a plate of them. I usually eat more than I should, but damn they're good.
When I've been on low carb, I've seriously had a meal of just deviled eggs lol.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Wait a minute, you're a submarine guy and deviled eggs are the grossest thing you ever saw? Calling bullschit on that šŸ˜
Posted By: Nollij Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Originally Posted by Nollij
When I've been on low carb, I've seriously had a meal of just deviled eggs lol.

Been there myself.
Posted By: scrooster Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Going to have to try your recipe Jake. I can eat deviled eggs like popcorn ... if they're good ones.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
My wife makes great deviled eggs. Not sure of the exact ingredients but there is a generous portion of horseradish and hot sauce used. Love them!
Any of you boomers got the Tupperware deviled egg tray holder tote ghey thingy? šŸ˜ƒ

Be the envy of all other Nanas at the Winslow fambly reunion homecoming at the Nation Of Elijah House of Bread God Chasers Church.
Any of you boomers got the Tupperware deviled egg tray holder tote ghey thingy? šŸ˜ƒ

Be the envy of all other Nanas at the Winslow fambly reunion homecoming at the Nation Of Elijah House of Bread God Chasers Church.

X'r Not Boomer and yes.

Haven't seen it in over a decade when the Wife and I were on the Parish School Council. šŸ¤Ŗ
Posted By: WhiteTail48 Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Thanks for the recipe!

Hahaha, dang homey I gotta stackable that goes 4 high x12 šŸ˜‚ Nana ain't got schit on me.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
For a few decades the wife and I were designated DE. Daughter #1 has taken over that role thank goodness.

Pickled jalapeƱo juice instead of pickle juice and dice it you like it with a little zip. Thousands of variations obviously.

Dayom. Those all look kinda ok fer me ta try, Fats.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Dayom. Those all look kinda ok fer me ta try, Fats.

Any time Doc.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Maybe TMI for some

But I get the trots from them
God bless y'all, Mr. I got a feeling you know how to live.
Got me thinking Fats.

I was last in California in the early 80s and stayed at the fancy Sir Francis Drake for an eye disease conference.

Saw the City sights and at that time a few quuers kissing on a street corner. Left there and said i would never care to go back to Ca for anything.

Ha, never say never.
Posted By: skeen Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Deviled Eggs...

Are a food of the gods. smile
Posted By: skeen Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Jericho Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Was going to buy some deviled eggs at HEB not long ago. Good grief, the prices are high!
Originally Posted by Jericho
Was going to buy some deviled eggs at HEB not long ago. Good grief, the prices are high!

And they are pretty tasteless at HEB here.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Iā€™m a deviled egg snob, and I think by reading your recipe youā€™re pretty much all over it for a standard recipe.

You asked for any other ā€˜secret ingredientsā€™. Someone mentioned Worcestershire, and that is a definite possibility, but in far less volume than they called for.

Mine would be Tabasco sauce. And not much. The vinegar and cayenne of it are totally in-line for it though.

Glad you had Dijon. Thatā€™s one many miss.

I have had a rotating daily or weekly or whatever Deviled Egg appetizer on restaurant menu before. You make a tasty but fairly ā€˜neutralā€™ traditional egg filling, then you TOP the halved, stuffed eggs, with litttle pieces of this and that which inspires you for the day, or that which you have on hand. Additional sauces can be drizzled across them. Sometimes itā€™s truly inspiring and amazing how good you can make a deviled egg taste. Just by ā€˜toppingā€™ them.

Dig your standard procedure yolk filling recipe though.

I might leave out the bacon as it could be among many of the aforementioned ā€˜toppings du jourā€™.
Doc,

Maternal Grandfather and Grandmother said goodbyes from the SFDrake in 42 when he shipped out. Luckily he made it back or I wouldn't be typing this.

Was there many times for Industry Security Conferences in the 90's.

Wife and I stayed there for 10th Anniversary. Haven't been back to Downtown SF in 22 years and see no reason to ever go again.

We do hit the Outer Neighborhoods several times a year where you don't see the human filth that is endemic in Downtown.

And the Drake has been renamed by current owners to Golden Bacon or some stupid chit.
Thanks for that info, and i never knew DE could look so great.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Legendary Egg farts are a mofo for people around me the next day.

šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ¤¢šŸ¤¢šŸ¤¢šŸ¤—šŸ¤—šŸ¤—šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
I love good deviled eggs and have tweaked my recipe over the years. Unfortunately, I brought some to a BBQ and now I'm the designated deviled eggs bringing guy for family gatherings šŸ¤Ŗ Everyone's taste is different but if you're looking for a decent recipe you can try this one. It assumes you've made a dozen large hard "boiled" eggs using your method of choice. Lately, I've been using the pressure cooker but am planning on trying in the oven in a mini cup cake pan.

Make a powder of the yokes in one bowl. Cook 2 strips of thin bacon crispy, chop or grind the bacon into a powder and mix with the yoke powder. In a separate bowl mix together the following liquids and spices:

3 tbsp mayonnaise
3 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp apple vinegar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder

Slowly fold the yoke and bacon powder into the above mixture. At some point it'll be clear you need more liquid. Add mayonnaise sparingly to mix the rest of the yoke and bacon powder, keeping it semi firm but foldable. I don't do any fancy squirting method into the egg white halves, I just spoon it in and sprinkle a light dust of paprika on top.

There is nothing in this world so simple that it can't be made much more complicated

Egg yolks
Mayo
Sweet relish
Touch of black pepper
Spoon back into egg halves.

Easy peasy.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Gotta make me some of these.

How do yā€™all boil yer eggs?
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Wellā€¦letā€™s see

Have ya got a few mins for me to explain it all??

šŸ¤£
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22

Wellā€¦letā€™s see

Have ya got a few mins for me to explain it all??

šŸ¤£

I read pretty slow, so go ahead.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Deviled Eggs - 07/31/22
Chopped Black olive anyone?
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22
Blech! I'd about as soon eat fresh cat schit.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22
Wait a minute, you're a submarine guy and deviled eggs are the grossest thing you ever saw? Calling bullschit on that šŸ˜
Call it what you want, but deviled eggs are freakin' GROSS - bigly...

And it's obvious YOU'VE never been on a sub.. laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by martinstrummer

3 tbsp mayonnaise
3 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp apple vinegar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder

There is nothing in this world so simple that it can't be made much more complicated

Egg yolks
Mayo
Sweet relish
Touch of black pepper
Spoon back into egg halves.

Easy peasy.

You have the easy part right but the recipe wrong.

Mayo/miracle whip, mustard, egg yolks. Sprinkle with seasoning salt
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22
#fatsforthewin

I'm not going out of my way for any, but smoked salmon and capers, or Jalapeno juice? I'm all in.
Posted By: EdM Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22

Yep. My wife loves them unfortunately.
Posted By: deflave Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

How domestic.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22

Funny you should mention that. I actually was a nuke sub guy until I raised a little too much Hell and got busted and "offered" a job in the surface fleet. I call those my "drinking years."

They called me a "security risk" and sent me on my way. Fast forward 5 years later, I'm the course supervisor for the Tomahawk Cruise Missile school with a top secret clearance. The Navy is so smart.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22

You don't, if you know how to cook.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by Fubarski

You don't, if you know how to cook.

I got a way, just like I got a way of making deviled eggs.

Always lookinā€™ fer better.

P
I do mine in a pressure cooker for 3 minutes with a 5 minute natural release. Some have had good success in the oven too. Gonna give that a try using a muffin pan for the eggs to sit in.
Posted By: BillyDavid Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22
https://icuban.com/food/huevos_cubano2.html Much more complicated but very good.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by deflave

How domestic.

Thatā€™s how my wife makes them.

Not a bitch myself, so can honestly say Iā€™ve never made em in my life. But ate several hundred at least.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22
If you're going to get a consistent result, you have to have a consistent process.

Which means you have to control:

1 - The heat; and

2 - The time the eggs are exposed to that heat.

You have approximately a 30 second to 1 minute window, between gettin the yolks the way ya want em, and "powdered", like in the OP.

Yolk should be solid enough ta handle, just a bit over a soft boiled egg. If your yolk is solid and dry in the middle, you're doin it wrong, if ya want a smooth and more tasty yolk.

That's why steamin eggs is the way ta go.

Ya know pretty close ta what the temp of the steam is, but in any event it'll be the same each time, less ya change altitude.

Usin boilin water and droppin the eggs in it, changes the temp of the water, just like if ya dropped ice cubes in it.

It will recover, but the time and temp has become inconsistent.

Steamin, the temp never changes, so ya got more room for error.

When the pot with an incha water in it is boilin, put the eggs in the steamer and lower it onta the steam.

Cover for 11 - 11:30, or close to that, you're gonna hafta experiment, remove and rinse in cold water, then fill the pot enough ta cover em in cold water, and let em sit in that til they're room temp.

Some people like ta use ice at that point, but again that can lead ta inconsistent cooling.

A good protocol leads to a good result.
Posted By: okie Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22

Traded a crockpot lid fer oneā€¦
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by deflave
You have the easy part right but the recipe wrong. Mayo/miracle whip, mustard, egg yolks. Sprinkle with seasoning salt
How domestic.
Thatā€™s how my wife makes them. Not a bitch myself, so can honestly say Iā€™ve never made em in my life. But ate several hundred at least.

You two make me hot when you talk sexy to each other.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22
I'm not a huge fan of deviled eggs but these look like something I want to try.

Posted By: skeen Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by BillyDavid
https://icuban.com/food/huevos_cubano2.html Much more complicated but very good.

C'mon, man, what's a cat from Wichita know about Cuban deviled eggs? wink
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I like a little diced jalapeƱo pepper in mine.
Now we talking. I be liken me some peppers.

Gotta has that beacon in there too.

Too much fun!
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22
Now, I think I might whip me up some D-Eggs tomorrow.
Posted By: Huncho Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22
Looks delicious but get ready to fart alot.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22

Funny you should mention that. I actually was a nuke sub guy until I raised a little too much Hell and got busted and "offered" a job in the surface fleet. I call those my "drinking years."
Well, then, I stand corrected.. smile Yeah, on the nukes, they don't have quite the sense of humor we had on the old WWII diesels..

And if the cooks on the boat woulda made some of those smelly-azzed D-eggs I might have been tempted to use the escape hatch.. laugh laugh
Originally Posted by okie

Traded a crockpot lid fer oneā€¦
LOL
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

She stole the lid to our Crockpot last dinner we had. Canā€™t have nothin nice.

You got off lucky! I barely intercepted Nana heading out the door with my new electric roasting pan at last years Christmas party. She insisted it was hers. She acted surprised when I showed her my name written on the bottom with a Sharpie. Not so fast Granny! Gotta be clever. Them blue hairs are formidable opponents.
Posted By: coobie Re: Deviled Eggs - 08/01/22
tag
© 24hourcampfire