Home
Posted By: gwrench Rat terrier - 07/31/22
Anyone have experience with them? I'm considering one that came from a rescue place. He won't need to be a vermin killer here, just a pet.

They're uncommon around here so if you have any advice about them I'd be glad to hear it.
Posted By: Razorhog Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
Usually very people friendly. Make sure it is. Very loyal. Had 'em for years. Anymore questions just pm me. I really like 'em.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
Our puppy appears to be a pit/terrier mix. I believe she is likely a rat terrier mix.

Very friendly and eager to please. Very much tuned into emotions, my niece was crying and the dog immediately went to her side and checked on her and seemed very attached. Same when someone is on TV and in distress.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
Everyone had them when I was a kid, at least one per farm. They were, besides hounds, the most common breed around. Dunno what happened to the breed, but 50 years ago, they were around.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
Very long lived dogs. Ours lasted 16 years. She had super hearing and always knew when someone walked by the house.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
Had a female we put down about 7 years ago. She made it to almost 18. Really good natured dog. Insanely
Good nose. They have a kill move/head snap thing bred in. It’s awesome. One head snap and a squirrel will fly at least 12 feet in the air over head, ass over tea kettle, back snapped and limp. They lose teeth early on, eventually go deaf and blind, the nose works to the end and they tend to stay mobile and pain free in the hips and joints. Roosevelt Rat Terriers - good damn dogs.
Posted By: EFHutton Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
My favorite breed of dogs , they’re tuff little dudes and gritty , very loyal and the ones I’ve had were one person dog , great companions and squirrel getters . My last one was a mid size tri colored female , got run over in front of the house .
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
Given the opportunity it’s hard to imagine any Rat Terrier not killing vermin.
Posted By: gwrench Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
Thanks for the comments!

It is a bit puzzling that they aren't more popular. Most everything I read on the internet about them is positive.

Hopefully I can get him this week.

If he puts some fear into the squirrels and rabbits around here that would be perfect!
Posted By: dpd Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
I currently have one . He’s 15 yrs. old . He’s a very smart and a well behaved dog . As said previously most people use them to squirrel hunt but Ben is a house dog .
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
They are, as a breed, a nervous, high strung little dog that is scary smart and loyal to one person. They usually live a long damn time. Tiny and don’t eat much. If that’s what you are after, you’ll be pleased. If you want a family let, get a Labrador Retriever.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by gwrench
Thanks for the comments!

It is a bit puzzling that they aren't more popular. Most everything I read on the internet about them is positive.

Hopefully I can get him this week.

If he puts some fear into the squirrels and rabbits around here that would be perfect!

Man, another one might just be on my short-list for next or last dog. They’re real good. Nuthin bad about them except saying goodbye.
Posted By: Ekim1966 Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
Grew up squirrel hunting with them and I’m on my third one as an adult - last three are just pets.

I’ve always had the “standard” size. A little taller (12-15”) and longer legs. All have been great family dogs but will chase, and kill, squirrels, rats, cats and ant other small animal that they can catch. Good with other dogs and their cats.

I’ve only known of one bad one and he was meaner than heck….would fight other dogs and was aggressive with my kids. He didn’t last long.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
I had one, great pet. If you have moles in the yard, the rat terrier will wipe them out. Also kills rats.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
I have a 12 year old female.
Best Danmn dog I've ever had.
Loyal, loving, smart, very intense and alert.
Hell on rodents...
Great watch dog, barking wise...nothing enters the property without me knowing about it.
She sheds a bit, but not horribly.
I'm already missing the old gal...how I dread that day.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
Rat terriers?
That's a 120v dog wired to 240v!
They are definitely hyper active.

Extremely intelligent and difficult to train.

To train a dog, you have to get their attention. The smaller terriers are so active, it's hard to get their attention.
They are loving and loyal.
Go for it!
Posted By: deflave Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
The dairy farm I worked as a kid had one and it was one of the coolest dogs I have ever been around. It would flat fight and kill anything it didn't feel belonged around the farm. The owners didn't much give a schit about pets but everyone damn sure loved that little terrier.

If it has the drives a rat terrier is supposed to have, I'd not have it as a household pet. They really need to run and kill schit IMO. They are exceptionally loyal (if bred correctly) and do make a great lap dog if they're wore out by dinner time.

When they shed, they shed.

I'd never take a dog from the pound.
Posted By: RHutch Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
We had one for 16 years, adopted as a puppy from a shelter.
Maintenance free and a great pet. Rarely barked, mostly grunt and growl when strangers were around.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Rat terrier - 07/31/22
I loved my little Sparky. We had him for only 9 years, he developed cancer of the spleen and he passed away.

Rest in Peace Sparky, I love you. See you in heaven.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Sparky loved to run in the snow. I can't believe he was taken away from us, so young.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
Grandmother had a little male black and tan rat terrier that was literal hell on rats and mice. That dog would actually purposely 'bait' mice. Give it a piece of biscuit and it wouldn't eat it but instead would place it on the floor near enough to a mouse hole for mice to see and smell it and then hide nearby and wait for a mouse to come out and then rush out and snatch it and kill it. Took on some pretty good size rats, too, some close to half as big as it was. Pretty good little dog all things considered but was a real, REAL bad leg humper. Never missed a chance to hump a leg, be woman, man or child. Killing mice, rats and humping legs was what it lived for.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I have a 12 year old female.
Best Danmn dog I've ever had.
Loyal, loving, smart, very intense and alert.
Hell on rodents...
Great watch dog, barking wise...nothing enters the property without me knowing about it.
She sheds a bit, but not horribly.
I'm already missing the old gal...how I dread that day.

I know that ‘feel’ -

When you have a special one and know it before they even turn two. Already thinking about The End. Man, that is fuggged up. At least I know I’m not the only one. Thought I had some crazy morbidity thing happening.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
My buddy growing up, mom and dad had one. He was a lovable little drunk when we fed him beer. He was a lovable little guy sober too! Now the little wire hair terrier they had was a mean drunk. Great sober but a mean drunk. Both them little bastids loved beer and we were always getting them drunk.
Posted By: Twopatch Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
Great little dogs. I had one for 12 years. The little basterd would run away all of the time. I never could get him trained 100%. He would pick a fight with a grizzly bear. Get his ass handed to him,and the next day ask for more. This one was afraid of gunshots and fireworks. One 4th of july,he smashed threw a redwood fence,and proceeded to get ran over 2 miles away. For a little dog they have big hearts. I would recommend that breed.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by gregintenn
They are, as a breed, a nervous, high strung little dog that is scary smart and loyal to one person. They usually live a long damn time. Tiny and don’t eat much. If that’s what you are after, you’ll be pleased. If you want a family let, get a Labrador Retriever.

I like the way you put that. I was just going to say they are neurotic.

Nothing like a JRT.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
How many ya want?
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
Their similar to Jack Russells. The ears are different. Bred to hunt they should be food driven. They are sight hunters so their eyes are more effective than their nose. I have a Beagle and he has an awesome nose. He is also driven to hunt and this drive is so strong that you have to keep him on a leash at all times.

You should check if you need to keep rat terriers on a leash.

The rats that I have seen tend to be shyer than Jack Russells.
Posted By: NMpistolero Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
I’ve got a Decker/giant rat terrier, My second. Great dogs. But they are terriers. That’s what they are and what they do. They’ve got a lot of hunt, but mine have been mellow, not jrt bouncing off the walls. Will definitely turn it on, on game. I don’t think I’ll ever be without a decker. Super cool personalities.
Posted By: hardway Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
Love my little one...she is half Rat half Jack Russel.... great little "BIG" dogs .she can jump in and out of the truck on her own.... Mine goes deer hunting with me, hog hunting, you name it. There ain't a squirrel , lizard, or fly that she wouldn't kill.... great with the kids, sleeps in the house every night, rides on the center console in the truck, on the tractor, etc. My only.... and I mean ONLY is she is a little yappy.... not bad but when the kids are in the pool she will run around barking at them, biting the water, etc.....lol. We go deer hunting and hike all day and she won't make a peep.... I think it's just an individual dog thing.... no biggie really.... just adds to her personality .

Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
Our male Cruz. Currently down in southern CA keeping a couple females happy and chasing rabbits on the back of the property
Posted By: Lslite Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
We've had a few,all good dogs except one crazy,nervous little bastard that loved the wife and hated me.Coyote finally got his ass.
Posted By: Huncho Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
Never heard of a Rat terrier before, Don't think i would want a Rat-Dog.
Posted By: bcraig Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
I had two of the miniature Rat terriers .

I got them both when they were just weaned.

Tuffy was a Male white and black and Sugar was a female caramel and white.

Both were the Best of little dogs and extremely affectionate little friends.
And both loved to be out in the woods.

And both loved to ride in the truck with me.

Tuffy died in my arms when he was 18 years old
Sugar died in my Mommas arms when she was 17 years

I loved them and still think about them

I a 62 now and that was about 15 years ago,.

Great little dogs
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
My daughter's female hates men and will bite any man she doesn't know. It took a few years before I could even pet her. Cool dog though, she got into it a couple of times with the pet Fox I had.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
They do not last long in the mountains unless they stay close to you. Too many mountain lions, bears, coyotes, and wolves. Great dogs though, fun, and loyal.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
Well reading this thread there’s rat terriers and then again I guess there’s rat terriers.

I’ve had two, I chose them because they were supposed to be less psycho and less earth oriented than Jack russels, easier to train too.

Such proved to be the case, I could walk them without a leash. Excellent watchdogs too. As stated, mine were sight hunters, woulda made excellent squirrel dogs.

Only downside was the shedding.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
Casey was half Jack, her Dad was an unknown traveling salesman.
Great dog, I was her's.
Tough to train, all 3 of us took obedience training.
Well worth it,

No back up in her, she almost never left our yard, she left nothing
come into our yard unchallenged. Humans could come if they
had the nerve, she wouldn't bite them. But didn't telegraph that!😁

Didn't matter the size of a dog, she attacked if it came in her yard.
Still see the neighbors dog, 2-3 times her size, running home with her on
his ass. Taking a bite every couple steps. Close 200 yards, she didn't stop until he was in her yard.

Put her down at around 13 years old. Deaf, allergy issues so bad she was
a terrible mess. She had suffered long enough.
Posted By: viking Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
One of the coolest dogs ever, balls of an elephant and they are some shedding SOB’s. Tenacious little bastards.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
Another vote for the Rat Terrier. I received a Rat Terrier from a generous Campfire member about 8-9 years ago.....he's been an excellent dog. He's living in Michigan at the moment with my son. They are close buds and enjoy a lot of time together in the field. Very intelligent.

He's a very handsome Chocolate Tri-Color.

Frog---OUT!
Posted By: viking Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
When I was married, we inherited one. First time l ever seen a dog jack-off🤣🤣🤣. Got so footage somewhere, it was hilarious.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
Old game warden in Bastrop 40 years ago had one. It was famous for tracking wounded deer.
Posted By: KSMITH Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
I have had a female Jack Russell for almost 5 years now. Dog has more personality than most people I know. I have to be very selective in buying her kill toys because she will rip them apart too quickly. She will be sound asleep, wake up, and run to her kill toy and shake the living schit out of it. She has caught squirrels and rabbits in the yard as she is faster than both and one shake is all it takes. She also throws them over the fence once they are dead too. Neighbors love that part.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
I saw a show on TV once about folks who would take their RT in NYC and hunt rats. Interesting breed for sure.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Rat terrier - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by hardway

I like that pic

Have been around Rat Terriers all my life but never owned one. Everyone that I know that had one was very fond of the dogs. I just never wanted one.

I have a mini schnauzer and whoever mentioned small dogs losing their teeth, it is a huge pain in the ass. Mine is 14 years old now and has his 4 main incisors and maybe 3 molars left. Smells like death when the tooth starts to rot and we have to get antibiotics to treat him, but he will eventually lose the tooth regardless. Vet is mad as us for not getting all of them pulled at once but I can't stand the thought of this dog running around in his productive years toothless. At 14 years now, I keep him on a diet of soft gravy dog food and a couple of cheese slices a day as a treat.
© 24hourcampfire