Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#17473151 07/31/22
G
gwrench Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Anyone have experience with them? I'm considering one that came from a rescue place. He won't need to be a vermin killer here, just a pet.

They're uncommon around here so if you have any advice about them I'd be glad to hear it.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Usually very people friendly. Make sure it is. Very loyal. Had 'em for years. Anymore questions just pm me. I really like 'em.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Our puppy appears to be a pit/terrier mix. I believe she is likely a rat terrier mix.

Very friendly and eager to please. Very much tuned into emotions, my niece was crying and the dog immediately went to her side and checked on her and seemed very attached. Same when someone is on TV and in distress.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Everyone had them when I was a kid, at least one per farm. They were, besides hounds, the most common breed around. Dunno what happened to the breed, but 50 years ago, they were around.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Very long lived dogs. Ours lasted 16 years. She had super hearing and always knew when someone walked by the house.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Had a female we put down about 7 years ago. She made it to almost 18. Really good natured dog. Insanely
Good nose. They have a kill move/head snap thing bred in. It’s awesome. One head snap and a squirrel will fly at least 12 feet in the air over head, ass over tea kettle, back snapped and limp. They lose teeth early on, eventually go deaf and blind, the nose works to the end and they tend to stay mobile and pain free in the hips and joints. Roosevelt Rat Terriers - good damn dogs.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My favorite breed of dogs , they’re tuff little dudes and gritty , very loyal and the ones I’ve had were one person dog , great companions and squirrel getters . My last one was a mid size tri colored female , got run over in front of the house .

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Given the opportunity it’s hard to imagine any Rat Terrier not killing vermin.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
gwrench Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the comments!

It is a bit puzzling that they aren't more popular. Most everything I read on the internet about them is positive.

Hopefully I can get him this week.

If he puts some fear into the squirrels and rabbits around here that would be perfect!

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
D
dpd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I currently have one . He’s 15 yrs. old . He’s a very smart and a well behaved dog . As said previously most people use them to squirrel hunt but Ben is a house dog .

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
They are, as a breed, a nervous, high strung little dog that is scary smart and loyal to one person. They usually live a long damn time. Tiny and don’t eat much. If that’s what you are after, you’ll be pleased. If you want a family let, get a Labrador Retriever.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gwrench
Thanks for the comments!

It is a bit puzzling that they aren't more popular. Most everything I read on the internet about them is positive.

Hopefully I can get him this week.

If he puts some fear into the squirrels and rabbits around here that would be perfect!

Man, another one might just be on my short-list for next or last dog. They’re real good. Nuthin bad about them except saying goodbye.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Grew up squirrel hunting with them and I’m on my third one as an adult - last three are just pets.

I’ve always had the “standard” size. A little taller (12-15”) and longer legs. All have been great family dogs but will chase, and kill, squirrels, rats, cats and ant other small animal that they can catch. Good with other dogs and their cats.

I’ve only known of one bad one and he was meaner than heck….would fight other dogs and was aggressive with my kids. He didn’t last long.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had one, great pet. If you have moles in the yard, the rat terrier will wipe them out. Also kills rats.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 12 year old female.
Best Danmn dog I've ever had.
Loyal, loving, smart, very intense and alert.
Hell on rodents...
Great watch dog, barking wise...nothing enters the property without me knowing about it.
She sheds a bit, but not horribly.
I'm already missing the old gal...how I dread that day.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rat terriers?
That's a 120v dog wired to 240v!
They are definitely hyper active.

Extremely intelligent and difficult to train.

To train a dog, you have to get their attention. The smaller terriers are so active, it's hard to get their attention.
They are loving and loyal.
Go for it!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The dairy farm I worked as a kid had one and it was one of the coolest dogs I have ever been around. It would flat fight and kill anything it didn't feel belonged around the farm. The owners didn't much give a schit about pets but everyone damn sure loved that little terrier.

If it has the drives a rat terrier is supposed to have, I'd not have it as a household pet. They really need to run and kill schit IMO. They are exceptionally loyal (if bred correctly) and do make a great lap dog if they're wore out by dinner time.

When they shed, they shed.

I'd never take a dog from the pound.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We had one for 16 years, adopted as a puppy from a shelter.
Maintenance free and a great pet. Rarely barked, mostly grunt and growl when strangers were around.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I loved my little Sparky. We had him for only 9 years, he developed cancer of the spleen and he passed away.

Rest in Peace Sparky, I love you. See you in heaven.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Sparky loved to run in the snow. I can't believe he was taken away from us, so young.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Grandmother had a little male black and tan rat terrier that was literal hell on rats and mice. That dog would actually purposely 'bait' mice. Give it a piece of biscuit and it wouldn't eat it but instead would place it on the floor near enough to a mouse hole for mice to see and smell it and then hide nearby and wait for a mouse to come out and then rush out and snatch it and kill it. Took on some pretty good size rats, too, some close to half as big as it was. Pretty good little dog all things considered but was a real, REAL bad leg humper. Never missed a chance to hump a leg, be woman, man or child. Killing mice, rats and humping legs was what it lived for.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 34 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.