Home
Posted By: CashisKing Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
A friend of mine bid a deck rebuild job at $11,000.

He will remove and replace the wearing surface (deck that you walk on) and handrails and pickets (1,016 SF).

Materials will cost about $2,800. This leaves $8,200 for his labor. He will do the job in three days. This comes out to $2,733 per day.

Do you consider $2,733 a day to be a fair wage for skilled blue collar worker?

Your opinion please... Thanks
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
yes, I get paid by the job whether it takes one day or more.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
It only seems expensive if you think you can get it done cheaper.
He probably had to pay help out of that also.
Ol boy is knocking it down, especially considering the skill set needed to replace a deck. I’m sure many of us on here have helped friends do this type of work for free. Not three full days worth, but you get the point.

Good to see you back, Leonard!
Posted By: Stammster Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
What about his tools? Truck and gas to/from the site? Disposal of old deck?

You’re figuring labor rate wrong.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Fair has got nothing to do with it.

Make your money where you can, when you can. If you're out of the stratosphere the market will let you know.

People that can't or wont do their own work get to pay, seek other estimates, or go without.
Posted By: RMiller2 Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
For a 1000 sf deck, yes.
Posted By: blanket Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
You are quoting skilled labor what are the skills
Posted By: slumlord Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
I used to give people a price they Could refuse.

Usually cause I didn’t want it. Too far, a potential Karen, too much BS in the yard to work around, fancy landscaping Junk cars, motor home from hell, fleas, pit bulls.

The deal was no one else would even show up for an estimate.
I could just about hit em for 2,3X wait it was worth.
Posted By: scrooster Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing

He will remove and replace the wearing surface (deck that you walk on) and handrails and pickets (1,016 SF).

Materials will cost about $2,800. This leaves $8,200 for his labor. He will do the job in three days. This comes out to $2,733 per day.

Three hard days of work. Transport costs. Insurance both medical and unemployment. Incidental costs like tools that have-to-be depreciated over time, truck insurance, disposal fees.

Also, labor is expensive these days ... especially skilled labor.

But that materials cost you posted. My wife and I literally just did 1000 sf deck off the back of our home this past April and materials were well above $2,800.00. Our materials (joists, 4x4s and 4x6s, pickets, handrails, decking, deck paint and rail paint, deck screws, nails for the substructure assembly, concrete, skid tape on the steps, ) ran us $5,200.00+.

Also, I'll add this fwiw. Demolition of the 30 year old deck we replaced was the hard part imho.

Also, did he price natural planking for the deck, or composite?

At any rate the price reads reasonable to me given what we went through building ours.

Are you going to go with the existing substructure or all new posts and joists and faceboards and everything from the ground-up? Is the deck a long rectangular layout or a square? It makes a difference in costs and skill level. Is it attached to your home or an island unto itself?
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
It’s a really crazy time. Local BEGINNING wages at McDonald’s START at $22/hr.

With that said the amount you quote for 2 or 3 guys for 3 days seems really steep! It looks like he simply used a rough 3x materials for his “labor” costs. He’s refinishing a deck not building cabinets or wiring a panel. It’s not what I would consider “artisan level” type craftsmanship involved in the job above. Not at all belittling the work or him as I’ve been paid to work on many decks through the years, if I was making $2700 a day you can be damn sure I’d be working 7 days a week for as long as that insanity was viable.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
When every place I've ever worked figured their TOTAL cost of labor per employee, along with actual earned wage they include their cost for employee benefits plus the employer's 1/2 of employee's F.I.C.A., whatever % they contributed to employee's 401K, AND Workman's Comp / A&S costs. (Self employed have to pay 100% of their F.I.C.A. as well as all their own benefits and extras)

Several years back a local business man told me it cost him over $1k in required fees just to hire his own sister to work for him at his business. This was all before she even could clock in and go on the payroll.
Posted By: poboy Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Removing and hauling off the old deck is time on the clock.
Posted By: 16penny Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Heck yea and make ''em stain or paint it themselves or pay another 2 racks
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

With that said the amount you quote for 2 or 3 guys for 3 days seems really steep! It looks like he simply used a rough 3x materials for his “labor” costs. He’s refinishing a deck not building cabinets or wiring a panel. It’s not what I would consider “artisan level” type craftsmanship involved in the job above. Not at all belittling the work or him as I’ve been paid to work on many decks through the years, if I was making $2700 a day you can be damn sure I’d be working 7 days a week for as long as that insanity was viable.

Agreed! Not a whole lotta "skilled labor" involved in simply redecking an existing deck. If one can read a tape and use a saw, they got that job licked! The "hardest" physical part of the job is going to be the demo and a monkey could do that. However it was not stated if it was a ground level or raised deck. Also how far/difficult to remove the debris.Also the cost of materials seems a bit low with todays wood prices.
Posted By: kappa8 Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Sounds exactly like my deck project three years ago, and it ran $8K.

What you didn't tell us was whether you got multiple bids. Betcha they all come in between $8K (trunk slammers who'll do a $cheitt job never to be reachable again) and $15K (I'm too busy with other projects but if you wanna pay stupid money...). Incidentally, that's where my five estimates ranged (one didn't even bother coming out; he asked for square footage and address and used google earth to capture satellite image for his estimating). Most of the contractors also quoted 3-4 days, but with a crew of 2-3 people. They guy who got the job was a loner, took a week (7 days, not 5), and did it better than any of the other guys could/would have. Croatian with outstanding carpentry & design skills, added a number of architectural elements which my wife loves.

Everyone who has a chop saw and a tape measure thinks they could do it themselves & are getting ripped off. Go for it!
For comparison I recently got $2.5k to completely remove a 20x16 ground level main deck and 8x8 side deck, railings and 2-2 stair steps. Was going to take a skid loader with grapple bucket to do it but on further inspection it was so rotted most of the boards actually easily pulled up from the joists with a pry bar. Able to back a dump trailer within 15 feet of the decks. Using hand tools, a Stihl 025 chainsaw, cordless circular and reciprocating saws, myself and a helper had it demo'd, loaded and site cleaned up in around 4 hours. Paid the helper $25/hr, $75 to dump the debris, around 20 miles total on the truck.
Posted By: kappa8 Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Originally Posted by marktheshark
For comparison I recently got $2.5k to completely remove a 20x16 ground level main deck and 8x8 side deck, railings and 2-2 stair steps. Was going to take a skid loader with grapple bucket to do it but on further inspection it was so rotted most of the boards actually easily pulled up from the joists with a pry bar. Able to back a dump trailer within 15 feet of the decks. Using hand tools, a Stihl 025 chainsaw, cordless circular and reciprocating saws, myself and a helper had it demo'd, loaded and site cleaned up in around 4 hours. Paid the helper $25/hr, $75 to dump the debris, around 20 miles total on the truck.
Good info Mark. $2500 just for demo. Nothing comes cheap nowadays.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
What's it going to cost him to dispose of the old deck material? Landfill or transfer station fees around here are nuts.

Old deck screwed down or nailed down?

How many other guys is he paying?

Did you already agree to let him do it?

Seems high to me but I don't know what something like this would run in your area and am not one to price another man's time.
Posted By: Huncho Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
thats a lot for one day.
Originally Posted by kappa8
Originally Posted by marktheshark
Good info Mark. $2500 just for demo. Nothing comes cheap nowadays.

I did not bid that, we were doing a driveway excavation for a neighbor and that lady came over and said her contractor was not going to be able to get there for over a month to do it and she wanted it done sooner....she asked if I could do it for what he quoted and actually showed me his bid. Believe his quote included a roll off dumpster rental for around 600 that I didnt need as I used my dump trailer. She was offering me the $2500 to do it so I wasnt gonna go lower, especially since I got it done the next morning. Mind you this was also in a suburb near Philly where $400k+ houses are the norm.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Lotsa people don't even know how to put air in a tire..
One of my neighbors pays some handyman to change outdoor light bulbs for fuuuuk sakes..

Many have 0 basic life skills.

Those are the people who pay the big Benjamin's to have the simplest let alone complex schit done for them.

If they get bent over the rail while writing a check in some peoples perception.
Fugg em...
If a dude can make good money doing whatever in a expeditious professional way working for no life skill people who have money.
More power to the guy...
Craft wages alone are $54/hr on the check here.
Posted By: Osky Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Could have bid a million, no one is forcing the homeowner to pay that amount.

Osky
Posted By: dale06 Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
I built mine from digging the footings, to building the entire deck, including the stairs. It was about 12x12 feet and eight feet off the ground. No way I’d pay someone that much for a pretty uncomplicated job. Took me a couple weekends.
Posted By: Teal Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
If that's what he's taking home - ok. I don't care his labor rate. What I'd be worried about as the homeowner is TCI of the job.

Is a new deck worth 11k to me? Is that number in line with the 3-4 other estimates I received?

How the sausage is made by the guy(s) doing it - IDGAF, for me it's 100% - do I want a deck at 11k? I'm paying for a result, like a salary employee. 35 hours, 45 hours - don't matter, I'm paying X for the result of that labor.
Posted By: krp Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Nobody bids a job by labor, it's usually by the sq ft. 10+ bucks a sq ft for demo and rebuild is reasonable. Material costs seem low and don't include loader, dump truck and dump costs.

Business costs are 10 to 15% of gross.

Concrete costs less than decks, if I have to demo an existing slab and replace it starts at 7 bucks a sq, depending on variables.

Kent
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22

I'm not sure what the color of his collar has to do with it, but he could consider doing it all himself and then sharing with us the amount he saved?
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Like slum said price it too high and if they say yes then take it.
Ive been on both ends. Had a house fire and after getting the house done waited til next year. Our contractor treated us great on bids when building the house so we had him come back to Finisht he concrete. While he was there my wife was on me to get 2 of the 3 decks done and imagine that ,, it was my busy time so i asked him hey while your here what it cost to build these two little decks. I had the materials already there. $1500 for a 4x4 and a 10x10 deck. WOW would have bought me a gun but got her off my ass and was done in half a day
Depends on local market conditions and how bad he needs to work.

None of us can answer those two questions.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
If customer and contractor are both happy, it is a fair wage.
Posted By: Distridr Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Plenty of people out there with more money than brains.
Make hay when the sun shines.
Originally Posted by krp
Nobody bids a job by labor, it's usually by the sq ft. 10+ bucks a sq ft for demo and rebuild is reasonable. Material costs seem low and don't include loader, dump truck and dump costs.

Business costs are 10 to 15% of gross.

Concrete costs less than decks, if I have to demo an existing slab and replace it starts at 7 bucks a sq, depending on variables.

Kent
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Paid a contractor renovating my bathroom $40 per hour per person. Every Friday he showed me his numbers and I paid him. This was 2018 before the pandemic and I’m sure his hourly rate has increased. Had no issues with his numbers or the work he did.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Paid a contractor renovating my bathroom $40 per hour per person. Every Friday he showed me his numbers and I paid him. This was 2018 before the pandemic and I’m sure his hourly rate has increased. Had no issues with his numbers or the work he did.
That’s how I built my house. I’d get a bill monthly for the crew’s labor. I’d go to the building supply store and pay the bill there for materials. No contract. This guy has since passed away. I sure miss him!
Demo is free... lol

For concrete, demo costs are about the same as materials. 1000 Sq ft of patio is 40,000 to 50,000 lbs depending on thickness and such.

Decking may not weigh as much but still alot of volume to tear down and haul off.

Just throw it in the avalaunch and take it to the dump...

Free

Kent
And 3 days? Big crew...

Kent
Posted By: Raeford Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
A good friend does remodeling work on cabins in Tenn, one sugar momma of his that owns 5-6 cabins decided one day midstream that she was going to start paying him hourly at $30hr instead of 'by the job'
She told him this when he finished the days work.
The next day he showed up in his little car, he left his truck/trailer and most of his tools at home, only bringing his tool belt.

After an hour or two she showed up and was quite perplexed as all that he had done was getting the site prepped and ready.

When she asked about the tools and trailer for hauling materials he informed her that she didn't hire them, only him.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
How steady are the jobs coming in for him?
Posted By: killerv Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
I just had a sewage pump replaced. Pump was 1200, labor was 2100, two hour job including pumping out the holding tank. Stung.

I'll do it next time, I really didnt know what was all involved. I understand the overhead, but 1050 an hour?

Tree guys who pull up with 500k in equipment only get 350-400 an hour depending on the crew the send around here.
Posted By: 160user Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
I just had my house roof replaced and labor was $65 per hour, per man CASH.
Posted By: greydog Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
People get paid what they get paid. People charge what they think they deserve and, in some cases, what they think their client can pay. The ones that get me are the guys who are pulling in a half million a year for producing nothing, who then complain about what another makes with his hands. GD
Posted By: RMiller2 Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
One of my coworkers was recently quoted 21k for a garage slab.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Was supposed to be a 5AM start today, but his friend called "Oyster boat sank, can you give me a hand?"

So here we are at noon... Oyster boat is on shore now... drying out and Charles is off to solve the deck job.

It is a 2.5 day job because of a Real Estate closing... Charles is running solo (he is a VERY CAPABLE guy). His dad is hauling lumber and supplies to him.

I did his takeoffs for materials.

I will also throw down tomorrow or Wednesday if he misses a beat on production.

I will post pics as the work progresses.
Our area, $40-$45/hr for labor, MEP trades higher.
$95/hr for a dump truck, $100/hr for a skid steer or mini-ex plus set up fee.
It’s going to go up exponentially from here though unless we see a collapse in housing which I don’t see happening in our area. There is no labor pool to draw from. I quit advertising and instead concentrate on keeping the guys I have through raises, bonuses and benefits and keeping a positive happy work atmosphere.
The guys relying on subs are getting killed not being able to complete projects in a reasonable amount of time.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Holeeee FUGG! McD’s starting at 22.$? That can’t be accurate. Even here in the Northeast, a dishwasher still gets hired at under 20.$ an hour. Dunkin’ Donuts I believe paying same or a dollar or two less to start. Then McD’s behind that at around 16. Maybe.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Originally Posted by Stammster
What about his tools? Truck and gas to/from the site? Disposal of old deck?

You’re figuring labor rate wrong.

Office/Warehouse/lot space, insurance, income taxes, it can go on and on.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Had a 12x16 built last year. The builder charged a lot more than a fly-by-night was going to, but he took care of the permits, had workman’s comp and other insurance, and his guys were prompt, polite, careful, and did a great job. If I called about something, someone answered the phone. Don’t begrudge any of them what I paid.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
I'm 65, my shoulders are shot, my back is shot. My boys have grown up and moved away. They helped me build my patio cover. It needs work but I don't think I can pull it off by myself. It sucks that contractors have the upper hand right now. Maybe I'll get after it like a hobby, a half hour at a time.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22

If you friend had developed some skills for himself he could have saved $8200.00 wink
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Just because . . .

"I keep late hours - you're a 9 to 5"

Posted By: gene270 Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
that is a little over 100 a hour ...for one guy thats good money if it takes three well that is about right around my parts
Posted By: Dutch Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
I used a contractor to build the pony wall for our steel building six years ago. He was pretty pricey, but the work was off and needed to be corrected, and he wasn’t willing to come back to fix.

So, I lost his phone number, and when we started building tanks, I just hired some hands, and we poured about 100 trucks of concrete, all told.

Ran into him last winter, and he was very pissed off at me, because I “had cost him a lot of money”.

That’s a new level of entitlement, right there.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Originally Posted by greydog
People get paid what they get paid. People charge what they think they deserve and, in some cases, what they think their client can pay. The ones that get me are the guys who are pulling in a half million a year for producing nothing, who then complain about what another makes with his hands. GD

your not suggesting that flapping your lips and punching computer keys isnt highly skilled labor , are ya Dog? grin wink

Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Holeeee FUGG! McD’s starting at 22.$? That can’t be accurate. Even here in the Northeast, a dishwasher still gets hired at under 20.$ an hour. Dunkin’ Donuts I believe paying same or a dollar or two less to start. Then McD’s behind that at around 16. Maybe.

people with opioid addictions get to work at a discount because they move slower?
Posted By: White_Bear Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
It is whatever the market will bear. I charge anywhere from $0-$150/hr. for metal fabrication. A little weld on an old neighbor's plow will cost him nothing. Some fancy TIG welding on aluminum or stainless is going to be at the top of my scale. Actually, my CNC machinery brings in much more than that. It's not the $500k+ in tools I've bought but the knowledge to operate them efficiently. Good luck finding that with a college education. I've tried.
I forget exact dimension from my takeoff, but call it 18' x 18', 9' x 22' and 18' x 18'... so a ball park of 1,070 SF.

Plus railings, steps pickets et al..

Demo took about 3 hours today (Charles is very fast).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

He broke off about 4:30 to deal with the diesel on the oyster boat...

Additional update tomorrow.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
I’ve always poured all of my own slabs
I’ve done all of my own roofing
The wife does all of our plumbing. (She’s built two master baths from the ground up)
We’ve always done all our floor covering and tile. Almost the whole house is tile
Build our own cabinets,
Wife builds furniture, tables, book cases, etc
She installed all of our new windows
We’ve installed our own septic system

Our best friends from high school help us frame and do electrical.

We’ve dug our own footings with a pick and a shovel, laid thousands of 8” blocks

The *few* times I’ve hired some “Contractor” to come out and do something, like drywall. It looked like total shît

Until I’m in a wheelchair or worse, I will not have any pos jacklegs doing anything for us

Wife can do brakes too.

Anything major mechanical-wise…I’ll just buy another $1500 car

I’ve rebuilt 1/2 dozen engines but probably won’t do any more.
Posted By: hanco Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Skilled labor ain’t cheap, cheap labor ain’t skilled.

That was a hell of a lot, did you get other bids???
Originally Posted by hanco

I apologize for not being more clear in the previous posts...

A friend was asked to bid on a resurfacing job (the wearing surface... i.e. the wood that you actually walk on on a deck) by a Realtor selling a house.

Buyer and seller agree a new deck wearing surface is appropriate for the sale of the house. It is a short 3 day turn around job accordingly.

The framing is good to go, but the wearing surface (5/4 board) is poor/failing.

He bid the job at $11,000... and the buyer/seller/Realtor accepted his bid of $11,000.

He will be using 2x6 lumber as an upgrade.

If he pulls the job off in 3 days he will make $2,733 a day after materials, but not including chainsaw gas, fuel, dump fees (if any), CCCP permits etc.

Basically $250 per hour plus/minus...

That was the nature of my question.

Is $250 per hour a reasonable rate for a blue collar laborer?

Again... my apologies for any confusion in not being more clear previously.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
Originally Posted by killerv
I just had a sewage pump replaced. Pump was 1200, labor was 2100, two hour job including pumping out the holding tank. Stung.

I'll do it next time, I really didnt know what was all involved. I understand the overhead, but 1050 an hour?

Tree guys who pull up with 500k in equipment only get 350-400 an hour depending on the crew the send around here.

Did ours 3 years ago.

Lowes pumps are $150 pieces of crap.

Did some finagling and bought a Goulds from a trade supply place
through my wife's companies hardware store name.
$700 for a commercial, constant duty rated pump.
(One and done for awhile.)

After I was done, was talking to a friend that owns a water business
and does some septic. He told me the cheapest permit he can get to
even start such a job is $3-400. Before the pump and labor.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
"Whatever the market will bare."

I apologize for not being more clear in the previous posts...

A friend was asked to bid on a resurfacing job (the wearing surface... i.e. the wood that you actually walk on on a deck) by a Realtor selling a house.

Buyer and seller agree a new deck wearing surface is appropriate for the sale of the house. It is a short 3 day turn around job accordingly.

The framing is good to go, but the wearing surface (5/4 board) is poor/failing.

He bid the job at $11,000... and the buyer/seller/Realtor accepted his bid of $11,000.

He will be using 2x6 lumber as an upgrade.

If he pulls the job off in 3 days he will make $2,733 a day after materials, but not including chainsaw gas, fuel, dump fees (if any), CCCP permits etc.

Basically $250 per hour plus/minus...

That was the nature of my question.

Is $250 per hour a reasonable rate for a blue collar laborer?

Again... my apologies for any confusion in not being more clear previously.

You were extremely clear, apparently more folks than I would’ve guessed lack reading comprehension.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/08/22
250 per hour is not reasonable in my mind
i work in a 4 million dollar dealership and we charge 129.00 per hour our overhead is way more than a truck and tools and we have skilled labor also
you said the job would take three days so 24 hours with my math with a 2700 dollar profit ....does add up to the 250 per hour you stated in the above post.

so great money in my opinion....most skilled carpenters around hear are 35-50 per hour
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/09/22
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
Originally Posted by greydog

your not suggesting that flapping your lips and punching computer keys isnt highly skilled labor , are ya Dog? grin wink

Originally Posted by Mr_Harry

people with opioid addictions get to work at a discount because they move slower?

Well, I guess that begs the question Azzhat, should a methhead get paid double time for speed?

GFY
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/09/22
Originally Posted by RMiller2
One of my coworkers was recently quoted 21k for a garage slab.
Tear out and replace or new?
Posted By: joken2 Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/09/22
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Employer Costs for Employee Compensation for the Regions – March 2022

Private industry employer costs for employee compensation among the four regions of the country ranged from $34.45 per hour in the South to $42.83 in the Northeast in March 2022, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. In the other two regions, hourly employer costs for employee compensation stood at $37.46 in the Midwest and $42.35 in the West. (See chart 1.) In addition to regional estimates, employer costs for nine smaller geographic divisions are also available. Within divisions, total compensation costs ranged from $31.70 per hour in the East South Central division to $45.21 in the Pacific region. (See table 1.) Employer Costs for Employee Compensation (ECEC) are based on the National Compensation Survey, which measures employer costs for wages, salaries, and employee benefits. (Geographic definitions of the regions and divisions follow in the Technical Note.)

[Linked Image from bls.gov]

In the Northeast, hourly total compensation costs in March 2022 were comprised of the following: wages and salaries ($29.54) made up 69.0 percent, while total benefits ($13.29) accounted for the remaining 31.0 percent of compensation costs. Insurance costs, which include life, health, and short- and long-term disability, averaged $3.41 per hour worked, or 8.0 percent of all compensation costs. Costs for paid leave, which includes vacation, holiday, sick, and personal leave, averaged $3.35 per hour worked, accounting for 7.8 percent of total compensation costs. Legally required benefits, which include Social Security, Medicare, unemployment insurance (both state and federal), and workers' compensation, averaged $3.29 per hour and represented 7.7 percent of total compensation costs.

In the West, hourly wages and salaries averaged $29.86 and accounted for 70.5 percent of all compensation costs. Total benefits averaged $12.49, or 29.5 percent of compensation costs. Legally required benefits averaged $3.31, or 7.8 percent of compensation costs. Paid leave costs were $3.22 per hour, or 7.6 percent of regional compensation costs. Insurance costs averaged $3.15 per hour, accounting for 7.4 percent of total compensation in the West.

The Midwest region recorded an hourly wage and salary average of $25.87 in March 2022, representing 69.1 percent of all compensation costs. Total benefits averaged $11.59 and accounted for the remaining 30.9 percent of total compensation costs. The three highest major categories for employer benefits were: insurance costs ($3.23 per hour worked), legally required benefits ($2.76), and paid leave ($2.70). These categories represented 8.6 percent, 7.4 percent, and 7.2 percent, respectively, of total employer compensation costs in the Midwest.

In the South, wages and salaries averaged $24.95 per hour and comprised 72.4 percent of total employer compensation costs, while benefits, at $9.51 per hour, accounted for the remaining 27.6 percent. Legally required benefits averaged $2.54 per hour worked, followed by paid leave at $2.50 per hour; these categories accounted for 7.4 percent and 7.3 percent, respectively, of total compensation costs in the South. Insurance costs were the third-highest benefit cost and averaged $2.28 per hour, accounting for 6.6 percent of employer compensation for the region.

Overall, compensation costs among private industry employers in the United States averaged $38.61 per hour worked in March 2022. Wages and salaries, at $27.19 per hour, accounted for 70.4 percent of these costs, while benefits, at $11.42, made up the remaining 29.6 percent.

The June 2022 national release on Employer Costs for Employee Compensation is scheduled to be released on Tuesday, September 20, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. (ET).

Technical Note

Employer Costs for Employee Compensation (ECEC) provides the average employer cost for wages and salaries as well as benefits per employee hour worked.

Employer Costs for Employee Compensation data in this release cover private industry. Excluded from private industry are the self-employed, agricultural workers, and private household workers. Data for this reference period were collected from a probability sample of approximately 23,400 occupational observations selected from a sample of about 5,900 private industry establishments. The private industry sample is rotated over approximately three years, which makes the sample more representative of the economy and reduces respondent burden. Data are collected for the pay period including the 12th day of the survey months of March, June, September, and December.

Employer Costs for Employee Compensation data on total compensation, wages and salaries, and benefits in private industry are produced annually in the March reference period for 15 combined and metropolitan statistical areas (CSA and MSA). Further information about metropolitan area ECEC estimates is available at www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/cwc/bls-introd...ry-workers-in-15-metropolitan-areas.pdf.

For detailed information on ECEC, see “National Compensation Measures,” of the BLS Handbook of Methods at www.bls.gov/opub/hom/ncs/home.htm. Current and historical BLS data are also available online at www.bls.gov/ect.

Information in this release will be made available to individuals with sensory impairments upon request. Voice phone: (202) 691-5200; Telecommunications Relay Service: 7-1-1.

Regional definitions

Northeast region

New England division: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
Middle Atlantic division: New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania

Midwest region

East North Central division: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin
West North Central division: Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota

South region

South Atlantic division: Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia
East South Central division: Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee
West South Central division: Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas

West region

Mountain division: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming
Pacific division: Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington

Table 1. Employer Costs for Employee Compensation for private industry workers by census region and division [Mar. 2022] Area (1) Total
compensation (2) Wages and salaries Total benefits Paid leave Supplemental pay Insurance Retirement and savings Legally required benefits
Cost ($) Percent Cost ($) Percent Cost ($) Percent Cost ($) Percent Cost ($) Percent Cost ($) Percent Cost ($) Percent Cost ($) Percent

Northeast
42.83 100.0 29.54 69.0 13.29 31.0 3.35 7.8 1.60 3.7 3.41 8.0 1.63 3.8 3.29 7.7

New England
42.27 100.0 29.19 69.0 13.08 31.0 3.28 7.8 1.87 4.4 3.24 7.7 1.51 3.6 3.19 7.5

Middle Atlantic
43.04 100.0 29.68 69.0 13.36 31.0 3.38 7.9 1.50 3.5 3.48 8.1 1.67 3.9 3.33 7.7

South
34.45 100.0 24.95 72.4 9.51 27.6 2.50 7.3 1.16 3.4 2.28 6.6 1.02 3.0 2.54 7.4

South Atlantic
35.26 100.0 25.50 72.3 9.76 27.7 2.63 7.5 1.10 3.1 2.34 6.6 1.05 3.0 2.64 7.5

East South Central
31.70 100.0 22.80 71.9 8.90 28.1 2.22 7.0 1.04 3.3 2.35 7.4 0.97 3.1 2.31 7.3

West South Central
34.38 100.0 25.02 72.8 9.36 27.2 2.40 7.0 1.32 3.9 2.16 6.3 1.01 2.9 2.47 7.2

Midwest
37.46 100.0 25.87 69.1 11.59 30.9 2.70 7.2 1.47 3.9 3.23 8.6 1.43 3.8 2.76 7.4

East North Central
38.64 100.0 26.72 69.1 11.93 30.9 2.79 7.2 1.51 3.9 3.23 8.4 1.58 4.1 2.82 7.3

West North Central
34.86 100.0 24.00 68.8 10.86 31.2 2.51 7.2 1.38 4.0 3.23 9.3 1.11 3.2 2.63 7.6

West
42.35 100.0 29.86 70.5 12.49 29.5 3.22 7.6 1.37 3.2 3.15 7.4 1.45 3.4 3.31 7.8

Mountain
35.85 100.0 25.37 70.8 10.48 29.2 2.53 7.0 1.24 3.5 2.84 7.9 1.16 3.2 2.72 7.6

Pacific
45.21 100.0 31.83 70.4 13.38 29.6 3.53 7.8 1.42 3.1 3.29 7.3 1.57 3.5 3.57 7.9

(1) The census divisions are defined as follows: New England: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont; Middle Atlantic: New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania; South Atlantic: Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia; East South Central: Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee; West South Central: Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas; East North Central: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin; West North Central: Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota; Mountain: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming; and Pacific: Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington.
(2) Includes costs for wages and salaries and benefits.

Last Modified Date: Friday, June 17, 2022
Originally Posted by joken2
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Employer Costs for Employee Compensation for the Regions – March 2022

Private industry employer costs for employee compensation among the four regions of the country ranged from $34.45 per hour in the South to $42.83 in the Northeast in March 2022, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. In the other two regions, hourly employer costs for employee compensation stood at $37.46 in the Midwest and $42.35 in the West. (See chart 1.) In addition to regional estimates, employer costs for nine smaller geographic divisions are also available. Within divisions, total compensation costs ranged from $31.70 per hour in the East South Central division to $45.21 in the Pacific region. (See table 1.) Employer Costs for Employee Compensation (ECEC) are based on the National Compensation Survey, which measures employer costs for wages, salaries, and employee benefits. (Geographic definitions of the regions and divisions follow in the Technical Note.)

[Linked Image from bls.gov]

In the Northeast, hourly total compensation costs in March 2022 were comprised of the following: wages and salaries ($29.54) made up 69.0 percent, while total benefits ($13.29) accounted for the remaining 31.0 percent of compensation costs. Insurance costs, which include life, health, and short- and long-term disability, averaged $3.41 per hour worked, or 8.0 percent of all compensation costs. Costs for paid leave, which includes vacation, holiday, sick, and personal leave, averaged $3.35 per hour worked, accounting for 7.8 percent of total compensation costs. Legally required benefits, which include Social Security, Medicare, unemployment insurance (both state and federal), and workers' compensation, averaged $3.29 per hour and represented 7.7 percent of total compensation costs.

In the West, hourly wages and salaries averaged $29.86 and accounted for 70.5 percent of all compensation costs. Total benefits averaged $12.49, or 29.5 percent of compensation costs. Legally required benefits averaged $3.31, or 7.8 percent of compensation costs. Paid leave costs were $3.22 per hour, or 7.6 percent of regional compensation costs. Insurance costs averaged $3.15 per hour, accounting for 7.4 percent of total compensation in the West.

The Midwest region recorded an hourly wage and salary average of $25.87 in March 2022, representing 69.1 percent of all compensation costs. Total benefits averaged $11.59 and accounted for the remaining 30.9 percent of total compensation costs. The three highest major categories for employer benefits were: insurance costs ($3.23 per hour worked), legally required benefits ($2.76), and paid leave ($2.70). These categories represented 8.6 percent, 7.4 percent, and 7.2 percent, respectively, of total employer compensation costs in the Midwest.

In the South, wages and salaries averaged $24.95 per hour and comprised 72.4 percent of total employer compensation costs, while benefits, at $9.51 per hour, accounted for the remaining 27.6 percent. Legally required benefits averaged $2.54 per hour worked, followed by paid leave at $2.50 per hour; these categories accounted for 7.4 percent and 7.3 percent, respectively, of total compensation costs in the South. Insurance costs were the third-highest benefit cost and averaged $2.28 per hour, accounting for 6.6 percent of employer compensation for the region.

Overall, compensation costs among private industry employers in the United States averaged $38.61 per hour worked in March 2022. Wages and salaries, at $27.19 per hour, accounted for 70.4 percent of these costs, while benefits, at $11.42, made up the remaining 29.6 percent.

The June 2022 national release on Employer Costs for Employee Compensation is scheduled to be released on Tuesday, September 20, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. (ET).

Technical Note

Employer Costs for Employee Compensation (ECEC) provides the average employer cost for wages and salaries as well as benefits per employee hour worked.

Employer Costs for Employee Compensation data in this release cover private industry. Excluded from private industry are the self-employed, agricultural workers, and private household workers. Data for this reference period were collected from a probability sample of approximately 23,400 occupational observations selected from a sample of about 5,900 private industry establishments. The private industry sample is rotated over approximately three years, which makes the sample more representative of the economy and reduces respondent burden. Data are collected for the pay period including the 12th day of the survey months of March, June, September, and December.

Employer Costs for Employee Compensation data on total compensation, wages and salaries, and benefits in private industry are produced annually in the March reference period for 15 combined and metropolitan statistical areas (CSA and MSA). Further information about metropolitan area ECEC estimates is available at www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/cwc/bls-introd...ry-workers-in-15-metropolitan-areas.pdf.

For detailed information on ECEC, see “National Compensation Measures,” of the BLS Handbook of Methods at www.bls.gov/opub/hom/ncs/home.htm. Current and historical BLS data are also available online at www.bls.gov/ect.

Information in this release will be made available to individuals with sensory impairments upon request. Voice phone: (202) 691-5200; Telecommunications Relay Service: 7-1-1.

Regional definitions

Northeast region

New England division: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
Middle Atlantic division: New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania

Midwest region

East North Central division: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin
West North Central division: Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota

South region

South Atlantic division: Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia
East South Central division: Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee
West South Central division: Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas

West region

Mountain division: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming
Pacific division: Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington

Table 1. Employer Costs for Employee Compensation for private industry workers by census region and division [Mar. 2022] Area (1) Total
compensation (2) Wages and salaries Total benefits Paid leave Supplemental pay Insurance Retirement and savings Legally required benefits
Cost ($) Percent Cost ($) Percent Cost ($) Percent Cost ($) Percent Cost ($) Percent Cost ($) Percent Cost ($) Percent Cost ($) Percent

Northeast
42.83 100.0 29.54 69.0 13.29 31.0 3.35 7.8 1.60 3.7 3.41 8.0 1.63 3.8 3.29 7.7

New England
42.27 100.0 29.19 69.0 13.08 31.0 3.28 7.8 1.87 4.4 3.24 7.7 1.51 3.6 3.19 7.5

Middle Atlantic
43.04 100.0 29.68 69.0 13.36 31.0 3.38 7.9 1.50 3.5 3.48 8.1 1.67 3.9 3.33 7.7

South
34.45 100.0 24.95 72.4 9.51 27.6 2.50 7.3 1.16 3.4 2.28 6.6 1.02 3.0 2.54 7.4

South Atlantic
35.26 100.0 25.50 72.3 9.76 27.7 2.63 7.5 1.10 3.1 2.34 6.6 1.05 3.0 2.64 7.5

East South Central
31.70 100.0 22.80 71.9 8.90 28.1 2.22 7.0 1.04 3.3 2.35 7.4 0.97 3.1 2.31 7.3

West South Central
34.38 100.0 25.02 72.8 9.36 27.2 2.40 7.0 1.32 3.9 2.16 6.3 1.01 2.9 2.47 7.2

Midwest
37.46 100.0 25.87 69.1 11.59 30.9 2.70 7.2 1.47 3.9 3.23 8.6 1.43 3.8 2.76 7.4

East North Central
38.64 100.0 26.72 69.1 11.93 30.9 2.79 7.2 1.51 3.9 3.23 8.4 1.58 4.1 2.82 7.3

West North Central
34.86 100.0 24.00 68.8 10.86 31.2 2.51 7.2 1.38 4.0 3.23 9.3 1.11 3.2 2.63 7.6

West
42.35 100.0 29.86 70.5 12.49 29.5 3.22 7.6 1.37 3.2 3.15 7.4 1.45 3.4 3.31 7.8

Mountain
35.85 100.0 25.37 70.8 10.48 29.2 2.53 7.0 1.24 3.5 2.84 7.9 1.16 3.2 2.72 7.6

Pacific
45.21 100.0 31.83 70.4 13.38 29.6 3.53 7.8 1.42 3.1 3.29 7.3 1.57 3.5 3.57 7.9

(1) The census divisions are defined as follows: New England: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont; Middle Atlantic: New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania; South Atlantic: Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia; East South Central: Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee; West South Central: Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas; East North Central: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin; West North Central: Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota; Mountain: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming; and Pacific: Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington.
(2) Includes costs for wages and salaries and benefits.

Last Modified Date: Friday, June 17, 2022
This is what a lot don't get. More to it than paid hourly wage.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/09/22
Factory work.

Our health insurance package is around $25k/yr.
I pay $4k of that.

Our lowest starting wage is (way too low currently) $14/hr

So a family guy is going to earn $28k, and cost $21k just in insurance.
Match his SS, his pension is around $2.50/hr, he gets $50k life insurance,
short term disability, vision and dental at no cost. Throw in the cost
of Workmans Comp, pretty soon that guy at $14/hr is actually costing
upwards of $30/hr. Due to so many costs being fixed, our $27/hr rate
actually looks somewhat better. In the pay to cost ratio.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Factory work.

Our health insurance package is around $25k/yr.
I pay $4k of that.

Our lowest starting wage is (way too low currently) $14/hr

So a family guy is going to earn $28k, and cost $21k just in insurance.
Match his SS, his pension is around $2.50/hr, he gets $50k life insurance,
short term disability, vision and dental at no cost. Throw in the cost
of Workmans Comp, pretty soon that guy at $14/hr is actually costing
upwards of $30/hr. Due to so many costs being fixed, our $27/hr rate
actually looks somewhat better. In the pay to cost ratio.
One bad thing in the factory where I am on the maintenance side so it is a bit different than on the assembly, paint, weld, material handler side of things is that they are starting help within a buck or 2 of what seasoned help is.

Hard for good help that been here a while to want to stick around. Piece work welders are $18.50-20 an hour DOQ. Guys that have been here 4 or 5 years are barely over $20 an hour. Talk about a poke in the eye.

If these guys knew what we made in maintenance they would schitt squealing worms.

Like posted earlier, take care of the good help and quit hiring new help on a weekly or daily basis.
Posted By: centershot Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/09/22
Don't forget paying taxes on that money. There goes 40%.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/10/22
Charles is pretty fast... and skilled

7AM today

10:30 update... he has a 12:30 deadline (Bank loan Underwriting Inspection @ 12:30).

2 1/2 day job at $11,500 (price went up yesterday).

I'll post the final $$$ after the job... +/- $250 per hour.

I consider that a fair wage on fast skill.
He was running solo (with just his dad hauling lumber), but snagged a friend this AM to meet the time crunch.
Posted By: killerv Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/10/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by killerv

Did ours 3 years ago.

Lowes pumps are $150 pieces of crap.

Did some finagling and bought a Goulds from a trade supply place
through my wife's companies hardware store name.
$700 for a commercial, constant duty rated pump.
(One and done for awhile.)

After I was done, was talking to a friend that owns a water business
and does some septic. He told me the cheapest permit he can get to
even start such a job is $3-400. Before the pump and labor.

Mine didn't need a permit for a pump replacement, atleast where I'm at.

I forgot what brand this one was but its industrial, goulds you mentioned sounds familiar, I checked prices online, cheapest I found it was 1k, wanted to be sure they werent atleast screwing me on parts. These should last atleast 10 years. I know tractor supply carries some that have 5 year warranties.

They sumerged this one all the way, the old one was only a few inches submerged. They explained to me that having it fully submerged helps it run cooler.

Anyway, it was an expensive lesson. I can definitely do the next one if time comes.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/10/22

7AM today

10:30 update... he has a 12:30 deadline (Bank loan Underwriting Inspection @ 12:30).

2 1/2 day job at $11,500 (price went up yesterday).

Why did he switch it to 2X's?
Are they less $ than 5/4?
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/10/22

What's the old adage?

There's good, fast & cheap. You can only pick two. You got good and fast.
Posted By: Huncho Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/10/22
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

What's the old adage?

But certainly not cheap, that is decent money if you ask me.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/10/22
Due to geopolitical reasons the blue collar worker is rising in value. And I am very glad for that.
Now if the pencil pushers, bureaucrats and money handlers would have a decline in value that would be even better.
That being said, if you aren't handy, expect to pay.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/10/22
That rotten skirt lattice is really special 🤣

Is howard or moe gonna leave that or is it gettin a do over too?
Originally Posted by slumlord
That rotten skirt lattice is really special 🤣

Is howard or moe gonna leave that or is it gettin a do over too?

Wasn't in the bid... and not structural/safety so a non-item for the Real Estate deal.

Originally Posted by MuskegMan

What's the old adage?

BINGO!

Originally Posted by Raeford

Why did he switch it to 2X's?
Are they less $ than 5/4?

5/4 is JUNK... like T1-11 siding.

Never lasts.

2x6s were an upgrade agreed upon by the buyer/seller and both Realtors.

Personally... they should have gone a tiny bit more for 2x8s... PT 2x8s come 18' and 20'+ around here... i.e. no joints on a 18' x 18' deck, but nope... they wanted 2x6x16' with joints.
I woulda ripped that nasty schidt out and poured a patio.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/10/22
Never had a deck w/2X's[and never plan to].
My decks are all 5/4's and 22 years old at current house.
Tiny bit of preventative M keeps em purdy.

2X's tend to curl IMO
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/11/22
$11,500 RUSH job (2.5 days) for a Real Estate closing.

Materials got to $4,600 (not sure how, but we will study that as an AA review over beer and pizza).

His dad helped him some (assume $1k or so).

He also pulled in one of his oyster boat buddies (call that $400 for a day).

Dump fees came out at zero.

Wearing surface replacement is not a Permit job here.

$5,500 on 2.5 days or $2,200 a day... assume 12 hour days... comes out to $183.33 hour.

Not the initial $250/hr I had hoped for him, but still a pretty good lick.

Who is this guy? Just a young friend I am kinda mentoring some.

He is also a hell of a good diesel mechanic... so some perks there for me on all the broken chit I try to keep running.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/11/22
Looks good
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/12/22
I had a guy put some benches around my deck. He showed up with his 14 year old son without the right tools. Didn't measure or make anything square. Left for 3 hours to get parts. Caught him stealing tools from my garage and then he complained that him and his son should each be making at least $100 per hour. I told him I had a masters degree top of my class from a top 20 worldwide MBA program and had never made that much.

If he had showed up prepared he would have made it. In the end I wish I would have done it myself. Crippled old me could have finished it in 5 hours and made it square and saved myself $700. As Biden continues to crash the economy these contractors will start to appreciate work again or go back to stealing car stereos.

Not the time to build yet.

Bb
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/12/22
I make about $33/hr.

Very low overhead but lots of hours.

Cow market is hot, maybe average $40/hr this year.
Posted By: hanco Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/12/22
46.00 when I retired, plus all the overtime I could stand. Last three years averaged 129,000. Would have been more but Commie 19 cost me some 2 yrs ago. I’d rather have a concrete deck.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/12/22
I miss overtime pay!

Paychecks take a jump for sure.

How many hours per year(roughly) did you average?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/12/22
Sam, and all, if you love your work, it's not work at all!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/12/22
My T-111 is 31 years old this summer

Looks great still, solid as the day it was new. Has about 10 coats of Lowes Enterprise paint on it and another 6 coats of Behr premium plus soaked in on top of that.
Mine is 5/8 over complete clad 7/16 osb
👍😀
Posted By: hanco Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/12/22
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I miss overtime pay!

Paychecks take a jump for sure.

How many hours per year(roughly) did you average?

500 to 550 was about all I could do, worked straight time in weeks that had holidays, work 9, get 6 OT. My retirement was based on best three, so fought it hard as I could. Sucked then, but nice now. Get more now than when I was working.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Blue collar labor rate - 08/12/22
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I woulda ripped that nasty schidt out and poured a patio.
I’d rather have a concrete deck.
I 100% agree, concrete or pavers. A wood deck is just setting yourself up for years of work keeping it up
© 24hourcampfire