Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Hard landing? No kidding - 08/09/22
Last month a Southwest 737 made a hard landing on a short runway in Santa Ana, CA`. It was so hard that a flight attendant in a jump seat at the back of the plane suffered a COMPOUND fracture of a vertebra. That takes a serious bounce to break like that.

BROKEN BACK
Some of the antique flight attendants these days break bones sneezing. If no one else in the whole plane suffered any injury it speaks to the condition of the victim more than anything.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Hard landing? No kidding - 08/09/22
And it's Southworst, what do you expect. Sheesh, my wife is on a Southworst flight right now, I need to head for the airport.At least shes not going into that airport.
Posted By: badger Re: Hard landing? No kidding - 08/09/22
Southwest has the reputation of being the cowboys of the sky. I know a few pilots on other carriers who have remarked on Southwest’s push to be on time regardless of weather conditions etc. One friend said he’s seen them fly through pretty bad weather rather than losing 10-15 minutes by flying around it.

Maybe this attitude translates to aggressive landings too, who knows?
Posted By: wbyfan1 Re: Hard landing? No kidding - 08/09/22
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Last month a Southwest 737 made a hard landing on a short runway in Santa Ana, CA`. It was so hard that a flight attendant in a jump seat at the back of the plane suffered a COMPOUND fracture of a vertebra. That takes a serious bounce to break like that.

BROKEN BACK

Compound fracture??!! I doubt it. If the landing was hard enough to induce an actual compound fracture, the F/A's back wouldn't have been the only thing to break. The airplane would've broke as well. F/A probably had a pre-existing condition.
Originally Posted by badger
Southwest has the reputation of being the cowboys of the sky. I know a few pilots on other carriers who have remarked on Southwest’s push to be on time regardless of weather conditions etc. One friend said he’s seen them fly through pretty bad weather rather than losing 10-15 minutes by flying around it.

come on just cause they are based out of Love Field...
by the way which president did the secret service call "Cowboy"?
Originally Posted by wbyfan1

BROKEN BACK

Compound fracture??!! I doubt it. If the landing was hard enough to induce an actual compound fracture, the F/A's back wouldn't have been the only thing to break. The airplane would've broke as well. F/A probably had a pre-existing condition.
But, but, but... she had to make it job-related for the insurance.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Hard landing? No kidding - 08/09/22
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

BROKEN BACK

But, but, but... she had to make it mob-related for the insurance.
Workmans Comp/Permanent Disability...
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Hard landing? No kidding - 08/09/22
One other factor is that the jump seats the cabin attendants use are nowhere near as impact resistant as those for the paying customers.
Posted By: tdbob Re: Hard landing? No kidding - 08/09/22
Probably an ex-navy flier and wanted to catch that 3 wire.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Hard landing? No kidding - 08/09/22
(C) on X, HIM - IC, CDTL….No grade
Navy guys will get it. 😊
Maybe, Sum Ting Wong was the pilot?

BROKEN BACK

Thank you. I have worked lots of fractured vertebrae, never saw a compound fracture of a vertebra. No passengers were injured? She had a pre existing condition.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Hard landing? No kidding - 08/09/22
But, .................................. the rear of the plane is safest in a crash, right ?
This one calls it a COMPRESSION fracture. Huge difference. Also, they didn't diagnose it until she reached the hospital. I can't believe that EMT's wouldn't see the blood associated with a compound fracture.

DALLAS (AP) — A Southwest Airlines flight attendant suffered a compression fracture to a vertebra in her upper back during a hard landing last month in California, according to federal safety investigators.

The National Transportation Safety Board said the impact of landing was so hard that the flight attendant thought the plane had crashed. She felt pain in her back and neck and could not move, and was taken to a hospital where she was diagnosed with the fracture.

The safety board completed its investigation without saying what caused the hard landing.

The NTSB said none of the other 141 people on board the plane were injured in the incident at John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, California.
That's more like it. Compression fracture.
Posted By: las Re: Hard landing? No kidding - 08/09/22
I was ramping for AkAir in Kotzebue when I heard the 2nd officer tell the flight attendant (after they landed 3 times on one approach- it was a bit rough out there!): "Well, we DO get one more chance (Anchorage) to make a good landing today". smile
Posted By: badger Re: Hard landing? No kidding - 08/09/22
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by badger

come on just cause they are based out of Love Field...
by the way which president did the secret service call "Cowboy"?

No idea. Who was it?
Posted By: bobmn Re: Hard landing? No kidding - 08/10/22
Pushing back from a gate at the end of a concourse in ABQ. Southwest is deeper in the alley and calls for taxi. Ground control tells Southwest to follow us to the runway. Southwest taxis between our nose and the end of the concourse sweeping our push crew with their exhaust while we are still pushing back. Then there is the Southwest B737 that stopped at a gas station in Burbank after running off the runway on landing and ripping through the perimeter fence.
Yep, they are legendary. They were paid by the flight segment not by the flight time like everybody else.
Quit picking on flight attendants. I was standing in the cockpit door next to a mature lead flight attendant as passengers were getting off the aircraft. The First Officer pranged one on and a passenger commented on the landing. I was about to explain that a good landing was any landing you could walk away from but a great landing was one you could reuse the aircraft but the lead beat me too it. She said "What are you bitching about. Your clothes aren't on fire are they?" The passenger started laughing and I bought the Lead dinner.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Hard landing? No kidding - 08/10/22
No pics of cutie-pie flight attendant with sore back?

booooo!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Hard landing? No kidding - 08/10/22
Originally Posted by navlav8r
(C) on X, HIM - IC, CDTL….No grade
Navy guys will get it. 😊

AKA a "gash" pass..
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Hard landing? No kidding - 08/10/22
Originally Posted by bobmn
Yep, they are legendary. They were paid by the flight segment not by the flight time like everybody else.
Completely false
Posted By: slumlord Re: Hard landing? No kidding - 08/10/22
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
That's more like it. Compression fracture.
That’s from years of drinking Diet Coke. Dissolves bone

☠️
Not saying it was a rough landing, or anything like that, but one of my private pilot friends says he was tempted to log one approach and three landings on one of his flights.
Posted By: elkmtb Re: Hard landing? No kidding - 08/10/22
a pilot friend of mine told me when they have a hard landing it triggers sensors/alarms and they have to fill out a bunch of paper work so they try their best to make it smooth. That was American.
If you j land too hard or will blow the packings or if the gear and hydraulic oil will run down the struts
© 24hourcampfire