Home
Getting the spare on no problem. The trailer wheel fender that was bent to hell by the steel belt was a bit trickier. A 2lb hammer moved it clear for the spare to spin freely. Nice way to spend an hour on the interstate in 90 degree weather.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I disagree. Any down time spent on the freeway is not nice at all. 🤨
Goodyear Marathons were known to do that. I lost a few fenders with them. I now replace trailer tires every 5 years regardless of mileage. That one looks old. Consider yourself fortunate.

I suggest you replace with 65 psi, 85 mph rated Goodyear Endurance, Carlisle Radial Trail, or Maxxis 8008.
There’s a car sitting up there road over 3 weeks now.
Evidently the L/F tire blew, and took out the headlight and part of the fender.
Something to think about when you’re in the market for wheels.
I wouldn’t have considered it before, but from now on it will effect my decisions on buying cars.
Too much fiberglass, not to mention it’s hard for a shade tee guy like myself to maintain and fix stuff without major headaches.
7mm
I just put in 8,000 miles on the road.

I saw maybe three flat tires on vehicles, maybe twice that many on trailers of various sorts (utility, boats, toy haulers, campers etc.)

A big difference considering how relatively few trailers there are compared to motor vehicles.
One of those lithium 1/2" impact woulda been nice. Not necessary, but nice.
Downside of trailer tires. You run of of time before you run out of miles. For me at least. My utility trailer tires are around 5 years old. I’ll be replacing soon, even tho total mileage is low and they still look good.
Try running anywhere from 24 to 36 tires on the ground on just the trailer hauling 80,000 to 145,000 lb change all them on the road boys your problems are little
Consider the size of most small trailer wheels and tires compared to the one on the tow vehicle! The smaller they are, the more revolutions they gotta make! Especially considering the big tires and highway speeds
I’ve often marveled at the RPMs those smaller boat and trailer tires gotta run at interstate speeds.
Something I think most people overlook or fail to consider.
7mm
I was dragging my little kubota tractor on I-10, had a low tire and a small group of motorcyclist came up. Front rider was tailgating the hell out of the trailer, lined up perfectly with the low tire, me looking in the rear-view mirror. Speed about 60-65, I thought ole boy if that tire blew right now you'd get blasted pretty good.

As soon as that thought went through my head the tire blew, and did just about what TimberRunners tire did. Slung rubber a belt wire all over him/them.

There are hundreds of people killed every year due to wrecks from blown-out old dry rotted tires.
Manufacturers recommend changing tires out at the 5-6 year mark, no matter how low the mileage.

The guy in the movie Fast & Furious who was killed along with his friend, speeding in a 911 Porsche. Car only had 4-5K miles on the tires but several years old.
Originally Posted by Stammster
Goodyear Marathons were known to do that. I lost a few fenders with them. I now replace trailer tires every 5 years regardless of mileage. That one looks old. Consider yourself fortunate.

I suggest you replace with 65 psi, 85 mph rated Goodyear Endurance, Carlisle Radial Trail, or Maxxis 8008.
Read up on using LT tires for trailers. They have stiff enough sidewalls for trailer use and they last closer to 10 years instead of 5. They cost more but are cheaper in the long run. Keeping them covered when parked helps a lot, too. UV destroys rubber.
I try to get 15-20 yrs out of trailer tire
Originally Posted by slumlord

You be standing out on long lonesome road sayin , I wush id'da went to the walmarks got me a new tarr, renegade help-a-ni'a'out
Posted By: K1500 Re: The disintegration of a tire - 08/14/22
Goodyear Endurance. Air to max psi on sidewalk. Keep covered when parked. Change at 5 years old. Trailer tire problems will largely go away with the above as guidance.
They sure will tear up the fiberglass fenders on a duelly...
Originally Posted by slumlord

That's all?

Date codes on tires means nothing as long as you keep your speed under 8 mph.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I was dragging my little kubota tractor on I-10, had a low tire and a small group of motorcyclist came up. Front rider was tailgating the hell out of the trailer, lined up perfectly with the low tire, me looking in the rear-view mirror. Speed about 60-65, I thought ole boy if that tire blew right now you'd get blasted pretty good.

As soon as that thought went through my head the tire blew, and did just about what TimberRunners tire did. Slung rubber a belt wire all over him/them.

There are hundreds of people killed every year due to wrecks from blown-out old dry rotted tires.
Manufacturers recommend changing tires out at the 5-6 year mark, no matter how low the mileage.

The guy in the movie Fast & Furious who was killed along with his friend, speeding in a 911 Porsche. Car only had 4-5K miles on the tires but several years old.

So you were knowingly out on the road with in an
unsafe manner and it was the riders fault for being behind you? JFC
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Read up on using LT tires for trailers. They have stiff enough sidewalls for trailer use and they last closer to 10 years instead of 5. They cost more but are cheaper in the long run. Keeping them covered when parked helps a lot, too. UV destroys rubber.

We run 14ply but their on 7ton capacity trailers minimum. Only have one smaller trailer and it gets used minimally.
Different question...

Will you guys run car/truck tires on a trailer?

Example... My trucks run 265/75 R16 123/121 tires. Lug pattern matches 7,200# and 8k# axle lugs and the tires fit in the wheel well just fine.

When the tread is poor from use on the trucks... is it OK to move the whole tire/wheel assembly to a trailer?

Same with 6 lugs to 5k axles?

Same with 5 lug on 3,500# and 1,750#?

Curious to opinions on this practice.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Different question...

Will you guys run car/truck tires on a trailer?

Example... My trucks run 265/75 R16 123/121 tires. Lug pattern matches 7,200# and 8k# axle lugs and the tires fit in the wheel well just fine.

When the tread is poor from use on the trucks... is it OK to move the whole tire/wheel assembly to a trailer?

Same with 6 lugs to 5k axles?

Same with 5 lug on 3,500# and 1,750#?

Curious to opinions on this practice.

If it was too worn for my truck it would be too worn for my trailer if talking about highway use. Farm trailer? Why not.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by ol_mike

So you were knowingly out on the road with in an
unsafe manner and it was the riders fault for being behind you? JFC

Yes busy with work, if some dumbass wants to tailgate a truck-trailer-tractor one car length at 60+mph hour he got what he deserved. Nothing is ever my fault, I'd do the same thing to you.
Leave jim fredricko conrad out of this
I just replaced 4 year old cooper at3's on my tow rig that dry rotted with 80% tread. The store bought them back thankfully.

Very true! Nobody want to spend the Money, when a Tire looks good! We're Human! We like to Save Money, but the Fact of the Matter is, when a tire gets older than 5-6 yrs.
Replace it, as age, weather Time, Sun, etc...........................Tears Tires apart!
Each tire has a Born on, mfg. code to tell when it was made. Do your homework, research and don't rely on Luck!
I needed to take my 20 ft. enclosed trailer on a long trip recently, and replaced all 4 tires with new ones including the brand new spares,(2).
Crazy, maybe, but I didn't have any problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's called Cost of Living! And it ain't cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
One of those lithium 1/2" impact woulda been nice. Not necessary, but nice.
I keep a 3/4" DeWalt impact driver in the truck - just in that exact case of having to change a tire. The camper's running 14 ply "G" rated tires and they seem to be nearly bullet-proof.

The other trailers all have "C" rated tires but the trailers aren't used that much AND they're always stored inside the pole shed - no sun gets to 'em 95% of the time.. Still, those I watch pretty carefully. One flatbed has brakes on only one axle and just this spring I rotated the tires to get those off the braking axle and onto the other... Trailer's about 12+ years old. All the sidewalls and tread show no cracking..
Yes it's wise to check the tire manufacture date.

When I researched this there were comments of tire stores having tires over three years old.

Oftentimes these are the tires that are sold July 4th SUPER-SALE, 3 new tires get the 4th one free,
Posted By: memtb Re: The disintegration of a tire - 08/14/22
If your trailer tires are over 7 years old…….time to replace them! In the long run, it’s darn cheap insurance! memtb
How many of you play this fast and loose with your motorcycle tires? LOL
© 24hourcampfire