Home
When people started cutting the cord on cable, you could get something like Hulu and watch day after live content commercial free from all the networks for like 15 bucks. Now it seems like every friggin network is spinning off their own streaming service and bailing on the 3rd party single providers. Paramount, Peacock, Disney, Discovery... Am I going to have to get 4-5 streaming services soon for what used to be one $15 app?

Add on top of that rapid price increases for the "Live" versions of the streaming services. WTF is it time to go back to cable? I hate Comcast but at least I'd have everything on one service again. For those who still watch TV, what service are you using? Are the good old days of one stop shopping gone?
Had Sling now have Hulu. Compared all the packages and went with Hulu based on the sports package I wanted.

Is it vastly cheaper than directv or cable?

No
YouTube TV.. Tried Hulu and Sling and hated 'em both..
Originally Posted by Redneck
Holy crap, I just checked, YouTube TV is $65/month now. And of course you need cable Internet to stream HD. This is getting crazy.
If you go with individual apps, check to see if what you'll get on the channels is anywhere near current. From what I've seen, many don't show the current episodes for a while.

I still like cable because like you said it's all in one place. And I can punch in a channel # instead of scrolling or searching then tuning in. Cable charges got too ridiculous though.

Some streaming services have locals if that matters to you. It's a bit handier than tuning over the air and can record. We tried several using free trials and went with Hulu live. Then On Patrol Live came on the REELZ channel, which Hulu doesn't have. So we switched to Sling because REELZ can be added. The DVR on Sling is an absolute POS for fast forward/rewind. And no locals. There was something about YouTube TV we didn't care for but I don't remember what it was. We may give it another whirl.

From what I can tell, they all have some of what you want but probably not all of what you want in a cable replacement.
If you don't care about any sports or news channels, check out Philo. It's like $25/month.
use an

Amazon Fire Stick

recent upgrade for $5

bezos must know I'm a cheap phuc

watch more U Tube than anything

wife pays for NetFlex
Amazon Prime is $120 annually

so............$10 month

More than I wanna pay

but I get the prime shipping BS
Started just watching dish again most of the time. Our wifi sucks so got tired of the constant buffering.
Winter comes and leaves off the trees it will go back to normal.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Started just watching dish again most of the time. Our wifi sucks so got tired of the constant buffering.
'

schidt man

even in Podunk

we have fiber WiFi

$86/month

with long distance and what the hell ever

'net stuff
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
If you don't care about any sports or news channels, check out Philo. It's like $25/month.
Yeah I might. News sucks and the only sports I ever watch anymore are some boxing and MMA fights. And I can get ESPN+ for like 5 bucks a month for that.
If you have regular cable TV, can you watch Netflix through it without Internet service? If I ended up getting cable TV again, I may just cancel my cable Internet. I could just check email or use my tablet through my phone hotspot. Hell, that would save $60/month right there.
Originally Posted by tikkanut
'

schidt man

even in Podunk

we have fiber WiFi

$86/month

'net stuff

Podunk is 'downtown', compared to where some of us live. smile
Anyone using one of those Xfinity Flex boxes. Looks like you can get it free with Internet service and it has Peacock, YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon etc apps on it.
ESPN+ doesn't include the regular ESPN channels if that's what you watch MMA on.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Same, just “cut the cord”, happy with YouTubeTV
ESPN+ doesn't include the regular ESPN channels if that's what you watch MMA on.
All the UFC, PFL etc fight nights I have watched have been on ESPN +. Haven't watched the regular ESPN channel in years.
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Yeah I might. News sucks and the only sports I ever watch anymore are some boxing and MMA fights. And I can get ESPN+ for like 5 bucks a month for that.
Price just went up. Might be more cost effective to bundle with Disney+ and Paramount+.

Other than HULU, which was $75/mo, I've yet to find a good streaming service that carries the variety/amount of live sports that I'd like. I'll be searching and soon! Wouldn't be surprised if I don't end up back at cable, at least for the 12mos promotional pricing, and go from there.
'

schidt man

even in Podunk

we have fiber WiFi

$86/month

'net stuff

I live 6 miles from a major intersection in the middle of a 'city' with 55,000 people, plus all the 1,000s of surrounding towns that connect to it, but out in the country. The only internet that is available here is a line of sight receiver on my roof looking 8 mile in the other direction to a transmitter on a town golf course. Expensive, and flaky at best. Had a house back in the hills and hollers about 10 miles further south, and there was no available internet. Not even close to living in Podunk and its fine fiber optic.
They all cost about the same now if you want the same # channels

Switched to youtube tv from cable. Same basic cost as cable but you save all the BS fees, settop box fee, hd fee, dvr fee adds another $30+ a month.

Youtube has unlimited dvr space.

I had roku/sling once before and their user interface (TV guide) sucks.

Still have internet service thru cable. basically thier lowest speed and never have any problems buffering on youtube tv.

I hated going thru the dog and pony show with cable where every time my contract is up they triple the price and then can't credit you back the difference until the following month.

We stayed at condo a few months ago with Dish/direct and every time is clouded up it would lose signal. plus no thanks about drilling holes in my roof to put the stupid satellite up there.
Also for you guys in the boonies, I hear good things about Starlink for interenet- very fast compared to the line of site deal or hillbilly internet company.
If the service is "not available" in your area you can get the RV service and it works fine.
A few years back I was paying 250 bucks for TV and Internet.

I have 1 gig Fiber for 65 bucks a month and I stream you tube tv 55 a month for another month and then it jumps to 65.

I am going to hook up Starlink for a family member that has Hughes Phu-cking net and direct TV.
Not a good deal anymore. Hulu live and YouTube TV are up in price about 70% in 2 years. I was just looking at a Comcast Internet and TV bundle, 300mbs and 125 channels for $100. Of course you get stiffed with taxes and fees. Total was about $130. But for the same Internet and let's say YouTube TV, it's $135. Bottom line is there's no better deal anymore and people just need to choose based on which platform they want to use.
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Not a good deal anymore. Hulu live and YouTube TV are up in price about 70% in 2 years. I was just looking at a Comcast Internet and TV bundle, 300mbs and 125 channels for $100. Of course you get stiffed with taxes and fees. Total was about $130. But for the same Internet and let's say YouTube TV, it's $135. Bottom line is there's no better deal anymore and people just need to choose based on which platform they want to use.
That's how they hook you. C'mon cheap entry prices, then slam you with upcharges knowing 80% are too lazy to change.

They're raping & pillaging. If nothing else, pandemic confirmed they have unlimited bandwidth for current & forseeable usage. Never give away anything for which you can charge, and, charge what the market can bear.
I've had Direct TV for nine years. I've tried trial periods Direct TV streaming, Charter streaming, and Youtube TV. We record almost every program we watch, so DVR capability is a must. We just didn't like the program guides, having to use cumbersome remotes, and when you add it all up it's not that much more for the DTV package we have and have liked for several years. If you've been a customer for a while, call DTV and ask for the Customer Loyalty Department and see what discounts they will offer you. You might be surprised; that's what's kept us with DTV.
Screw streaming services. Everything I care to watch is supplied free by the internet or over-the-air TV
Roku is said to be better than Firestick.
I think we are going to give one a try
Between ustvgo.tv and ww4.0123movie.net you have about all the free tv and movies you'll ever need.
Our cable TV service has been encouraging everyone on their service to get on streaming as they are getting out of the TV service sometime next year completely. They have stated in several letters that content has gotten so expensive they are forced to raise their rates several times a year to keep up with costs. Just got a letter and an email announcing another $20 raise in rates to a total of $255 a month for phone, internet, and TV and I don't even have any premium channels. So, we canceled our TV service and kept the Fiber optic internet service we had and I'm looking for a decent deal on a good streaming service with the channels I prefer. Might take a while as they don't make it easy to determine what they supply and not unless you go through their sign up page to research it.... what a pain in the butt...
Originally Posted by 700LH
Roku is said to be better than Firestick.
I think we are going to give one a try

We have had ROku for 2 years with no issues whatsoever other then changing batteries.

we had 100 mbps cable internet with Time Warner plus their TV service

I now have 1 GIg Fiber service and 2 mesh routers. We have 2 laptops running all day and 3 TV's , an iPad,Thermostat . I stream YoutubeTV for now.

We effectively halved our monthly bill.
'

schidt man

even in Podunk

we have fiber WiFi

$86/month

'net stuff

We[both] are in the neglected state of Southwest Virginia which is basically West Virginia Lite.
Can't stream anything at my place and cell service suxs[especially as stated above when trees are in full leaf].
Here one must basically be within town limits to get decent wifi/innanet.
Originally Posted by immature
I've had Direct TV for nine years. I've tried trial periods Direct TV streaming, Charter streaming, and Youtube TV. We record almost every program we watch, so DVR capability is a must. We just didn't like the program guides, having to use cumbersome remotes, and when you add it all up it's not that much more for the DTV package we have and have liked for several years. If you've been a customer for a while, call DTV and ask for the Customer Loyalty Department and see what discounts they will offer you. You might be surprised; that's what's kept us with DTV.

We switch every 2-3 years between DTV & Dish.
Sure, I'll play your newbie game.
I had Hulu because I don't care about live content for the most part, and they had an ad free version. I've gotten to the point in my life where I have ZERO patience for ads because they're such a waste of time and are getting more and more woke every day. But now major networks are pulling content from Hulu and putting it on their own fugking streaming service. Comcast streaming bundled with their Internet was very competitive but they didn't have an ad free option on their on demand content.
Yep, best deal going
Have no good intent options. Keep hearing about cable and fiber coming, but only thing we have is att uverse/dsl. Can't stream reliably. Tried Sling and Hulu, too much buffering.

I won't ever have traditional TV again. Nothing of interest. I'd like to stream some YouTube stuff, but I can do without. Maybe one day I'll have internet that can do it.
Originally Posted by monkeyboy
Between ustvgo.tv and ww4.0123movie.net you have about all the free tv and movies you'll ever need.

I had never heard of those websites. But why do they encourage using a VPN for the shows/movies? Actually, I clicked on a couple and it said you HAVE to use a VPN to watch it. Are those websites that non-secure?
How about Fubo TV. Anyone tried that service?
© 24hourcampfire