Home
Posted By: jstert VJ Day - 08/15/22
8/15/1945.
people who know of it, even from parents who lived it, are fast-dwindling. a singular day in history, it marked the start of america’s golden age, while huge swaths of the world traded one dictator, or one conflict, for yet another. thank god we prevailed.
Posted By: Seafire Re: VJ Day - 08/15/22
Amen and thanks for posting that to remind those who wouldn't think about it...

a lot of men died and are buried all over the Pacific on little Islands a long way from home, to give us the victory they fought so hard to obtain.

I've got several uncles that never made it home from WW 2....one buried in North Africa, one in Europe and one who went down off the coast of Japan on a Naval vessel right when the war ended. From a family on both sides who heavily contributed to the war effort of WW2, Korea and Vietnam.

I am glad many of them are no longer alive, to see what liberalism has turned our nation and our society into... undoing every thing they fought for and some sacrificed their lives for. And the same to what my wife's family went thru during those exact same years. Her family has family members that never came home also, and died at a very young age.
Posted By: jstert Re: VJ Day - 08/15/22
thank you seafire, my thoughts exactly.

i spent most of my career assigned in asia. my parents’ ww2 was in europe. a maternal uncle was killed in action in germany shortly before ve day. paternal relatives in poland and lithuania were shot or exiled to the gulags in the summer of 1945. i become very frustrated with smug intellectuals in countries such as indonesia and korea who choose to forget whose blood bought their independence. i have heard more than a few ordinary japanese thank the usa for ending the war that their leaders wanted to continue to an armageddon.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: VJ Day - 08/15/22
I also had relatives scattered through the Pacific and Europe. Incredibly, all of them came home alive, if not totally intact. I had 1 uncle who helped build the Al-Can highway and then ended up in Europe in time for the Battle of the Bulge. Another one piloted a landing craft during the Tarawa invasion. He got a purple heart for that one. He was said to have also got a bronze star there but I haven't been able to find any record of it and his son has never found the medal.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: VJ Day - 08/15/22
Originally Posted by Seafire
Amen and thanks for posting that to remind those who wouldn't think about it...

a lot of men died and are buried all over the Pacific on little Islands a long way from home, to give us the victory they fought so hard to obtain.

I've got several uncles that never made it home from WW 2....one buried in North Africa, one in Europe and one who went down off the coast of Japan on a Naval vessel right when the war ended. From a family on both sides who heavily contributed to the war effort of WW2, Korea and Vietnam.

I am glad many of them are no longer alive, to see what liberalism has turned our nation and our society into... undoing every thing they fought for and some sacrificed their lives for. And the same to what my wife's family went thru during those exact same years. Her family has family members that never came home also, and died at a very young age.

It's up to us to redeem them and take on the fight for the 21st century.

This it the day my father's first cousin lived and the crew in the next airplane over died.
kwg
https://100thbg.com/index.php?option=com_bombgrp&view=personnel&id=2061&Itemid=334
Posted By: DavePrice Re: VJ Day - 08/15/22
Posted By: ironbender Re: VJ Day - 08/15/22
Ironically, this is also “LA” day - left Afghanistan.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: VJ Day - 08/15/22
Yes, in 1945, Japan surrendered to the U.S. and our allies. In 2021, Beijing Biden surrendered the U.S. to the Taliban.

Turnabout is fair play, I suppose. crazy

L.W.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: VJ Day - 08/15/22
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My great-uncle "Buddy" Lewis was shot by a Jap sniper in the Phillippines. Rest in Peace, Uncle Buddy.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: VJ Day - 08/16/22
All my uncles made it back. No SERIOUS damage.
Posted By: dale06 Re: VJ Day - 08/16/22
Father in law was at battle of the bulge.
My father was wounded on Okinawa.
Both are gone and would be very saddened by the direction of the USA.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: VJ Day - 08/16/22
Late wife’s uncle was vaporized on the USS Franklin.
Posted By: tater74 Re: VJ Day - 08/16/22
Uncles in both theaters. Wounded in the pacific. European guys were flyers.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: VJ Day - 08/16/22
My father was a Navy sailor in the Pacific. His brother a merchant sailor in the Atlantic. Both survived the war.
Posted By: ipopum Re: VJ Day - 08/16/22
These were my fathers generation. Those who survived were changed and scared by what they saw and went thru.

They were the greatest generation!
© 24hourcampfire