#17516528 08/15/22
J
jstert Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
8/15/1945.
people who know of it, even from parents who lived it, are fast-dwindling. a singular day in history, it marked the start of america’s golden age, while huge swaths of the world traded one dictator, or one conflict, for yet another. thank god we prevailed.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Amen and thanks for posting that to remind those who wouldn't think about it...

a lot of men died and are buried all over the Pacific on little Islands a long way from home, to give us the victory they fought so hard to obtain.

I've got several uncles that never made it home from WW 2....one buried in North Africa, one in Europe and one who went down off the coast of Japan on a Naval vessel right when the war ended. From a family on both sides who heavily contributed to the war effort of WW2, Korea and Vietnam.

I am glad many of them are no longer alive, to see what liberalism has turned our nation and our society into... undoing every thing they fought for and some sacrificed their lives for. And the same to what my wife's family went thru during those exact same years. Her family has family members that never came home also, and died at a very young age.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
jstert Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
thank you seafire, my thoughts exactly.

i spent most of my career assigned in asia. my parents’ ww2 was in europe. a maternal uncle was killed in action in germany shortly before ve day. paternal relatives in poland and lithuania were shot or exiled to the gulags in the summer of 1945. i become very frustrated with smug intellectuals in countries such as indonesia and korea who choose to forget whose blood bought their independence. i have heard more than a few ordinary japanese thank the usa for ending the war that their leaders wanted to continue to an armageddon.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I also had relatives scattered through the Pacific and Europe. Incredibly, all of them came home alive, if not totally intact. I had 1 uncle who helped build the Al-Can highway and then ended up in Europe in time for the Battle of the Bulge. Another one piloted a landing craft during the Tarawa invasion. He got a purple heart for that one. He was said to have also got a bronze star there but I haven't been able to find any record of it and his son has never found the medal.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Amen and thanks for posting that to remind those who wouldn't think about it...

a lot of men died and are buried all over the Pacific on little Islands a long way from home, to give us the victory they fought so hard to obtain.

I've got several uncles that never made it home from WW 2....one buried in North Africa, one in Europe and one who went down off the coast of Japan on a Naval vessel right when the war ended. From a family on both sides who heavily contributed to the war effort of WW2, Korea and Vietnam.

I am glad many of them are no longer alive, to see what liberalism has turned our nation and our society into... undoing every thing they fought for and some sacrificed their lives for. And the same to what my wife's family went thru during those exact same years. Her family has family members that never came home also, and died at a very young age.

It's up to us to redeem them and take on the fight for the 21st century.

This it the day my father's first cousin lived and the crew in the next airplane over died.
kwg
https://100thbg.com/index.php?option=com_bombgrp&view=personnel&id=2061&Itemid=334

Last edited by kwg020; 08/15/22.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ironically, this is also “LA” day - left Afghanistan.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, in 1945, Japan surrendered to the U.S. and our allies. In 2021, Beijing Biden surrendered the U.S. to the Taliban.

Turnabout is fair play, I suppose. crazy

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My great-uncle "Buddy" Lewis was shot by a Jap sniper in the Phillippines. Rest in Peace, Uncle Buddy.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
All my uncles made it back. No SERIOUS damage.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Father in law was at battle of the bulge.
My father was wounded on Okinawa.
Both are gone and would be very saddened by the direction of the USA.

NRA Patron
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Late wife’s uncle was vaporized on the USS Franklin.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Uncles in both theaters. Wounded in the pacific. European guys were flyers.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My father was a Navy sailor in the Pacific. His brother a merchant sailor in the Atlantic. Both survived the war.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
These were my fathers generation. Those who survived were changed and scared by what they saw and went thru.

They were the greatest generation!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,413
Posts18,470,467
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.