Home
Posted By: Leanwolf Have You Seen Apocalypse Now? - 08/31/22
If so, you might enjoy this interesting story about the man who wrote the screenplay, plus many other movies you've probably seen. John Milius.

L.W.
Ran into Mr. Milius at the local Sporting Clays range on more than one occasion.

Always shooting something nice ...
Ric, when I lived in L.A., I used to shoot with Milius at the Beverly Hills Gun Club. There was a very small group of us writers who'd get together for an early dinner and then go to the BHGC for an evening of shooting. John would bring a bunch of handguns, including his "Dirty Harry" S&W .44 Mag., and let the other writers fire a few rounds from it.

In 1983, I and a friend of mine who was also a friend of Milius, were going to Colorado for an elk hunt. Milius wanted us to take a custom .375 H&H rifle he'd used in Africa with us, kill an elk with it, as he said, "I want to keep it 'blooded'" We took the rifle but never had a chance to "blood it." It was a beautiful rifle. I can't remember now the name of the custom gunsmith who built it.

John had a stroke a number of years ago. I haven't heard for awhile how he's doing. He was a very good writer.

L.W.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Have You Seen Apocalypse Now? - 08/31/22
I listened to Heart of Darkness on audio book

interesting to me that book turned into a mission to kill a Rogue Colonel in Vietnam
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Ric, when I lived in L.A., I used to shoot with Milius at the Beverly Hills Gun Club. There was a very small group of us writers who'd get together for an early dinner and then go to the BHGC for an evening of shooting. John would bring a bunch of handguns, including his "Dirty Harry" S&W .44 Mag., and let the other writers fire a few rounds from it.

In 1983, I and a friend of mine who was also a friend of Milius, were going to Colorado for an elk hunt. Milius wanted us to take a custom .375 H&H rifle he'd used in Africa with us, kill an elk with it, as he said, "I want to keep it 'blooded'" We took the rifle but never had a chance to "blood it." It was a beautiful rifle. I can't remember now the name of the custom gunsmith who built it.

John had a stroke a number of years ago. I haven't heard for awhile how he'd doing. He was a very good writer.

L.W.

He was a very good writer. And director.

I talked to him about Rough Riders, but scheduling didn't work. I liked him.

We need more writers like him (and you) now.

Hollywood isn't producing crap worth watching. Killing the industry. frown
Wow ... this is good stuff! I had no clue. Always like learning more backstory.

Thanks men!
Sometimes I wonder more about the Leanwolf story.
© 24hourcampfire