-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If so, you might enjoy this interesting story about the man who wrote the screenplay, plus many other movies you've probably seen. John Milius.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ran into Mr. Milius at the local Sporting Clays range on more than one occasion.

Always shooting something nice ...

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ric, when I lived in L.A., I used to shoot with Milius at the Beverly Hills Gun Club. There was a very small group of us writers who'd get together for an early dinner and then go to the BHGC for an evening of shooting. John would bring a bunch of handguns, including his "Dirty Harry" S&W .44 Mag., and let the other writers fire a few rounds from it.

In 1983, I and a friend of mine who was also a friend of Milius, were going to Colorado for an elk hunt. Milius wanted us to take a custom .375 H&H rifle he'd used in Africa with us, kill an elk with it, as he said, "I want to keep it 'blooded'" We took the rifle but never had a chance to "blood it." It was a beautiful rifle. I can't remember now the name of the custom gunsmith who built it.

John had a stroke a number of years ago. I haven't heard for awhile how he's doing. He was a very good writer.

L.W.

Last edited by Leanwolf; 08/31/22. Reason: Correct spelling.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I listened to Heart of Darkness on audio book

interesting to me that book turned into a mission to kill a Rogue Colonel in Vietnam

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Ric, when I lived in L.A., I used to shoot with Milius at the Beverly Hills Gun Club. There was a very small group of us writers who'd get together for an early dinner and then go to the BHGC for an evening of shooting. John would bring a bunch of handguns, including his "Dirty Harry" S&W .44 Mag., and let the other writers fire a few rounds from it.

In 1983, I and a friend of mine who was also a friend of Milius, were going to Colorado for an elk hunt. Milius wanted us to take a custom .375 H&H rifle he'd used in Africa with us, kill an elk with it, as he said, "I want to keep it 'blooded'" We took the rifle but never had a chance to "blood it." It was a beautiful rifle. I can't remember now the name of the custom gunsmith who built it.

John had a stroke a number of years ago. I haven't heard for awhile how he'd doing. He was a very good writer.

L.W.

He was a very good writer. And director.

I talked to him about Rough Riders, but scheduling didn't work. I liked him.

We need more writers like him (and you) now.

Hollywood isn't producing crap worth watching. Killing the industry. frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow ... this is good stuff! I had no clue. Always like learning more backstory.

Thanks men!

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sometimes I wonder more about the Leanwolf story.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 82 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,724
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.