Home
I have a bud that I served with in the Coast Guard at 2 different stations. He is not a gun nut, never enjoyed law enforcement, hated going to the range and always struggled to qualify with the handgun. When he retired, he built a house in a rural subdivision out in the county in Mississippi. The lots are all 2+ acres. It's a quiet, peaceful neighborhood, that historically hasn't had crime. It's a one way in, one way out subdivision.

This past weekend, his wife shakes him awake at 5 in the morning. Their camera system has detected someone in his garage. He left his pistol in his car in the garage. He can't get to it. He confronts them anyway. They shoot and scatter. He gets his gun out of his car and yells at them. They shoot again. He can be heard on his security system firing back and yelling "I have one too [bleep]."

The robbers get in their car and haul ass...in the opposite direction of the neighborhood entrance. There are 4 of them in the car. He gets in his car, stops it across the road and stands behind it. When they come back and realize that his car is blocking them, they start lobbing shots. He returns fire. They veer off of the road, cut across the lawn and slam into an oak tree. The car is rendered inoperable. They get out and run. Deputies show up. They hear one of the robbers in a wooded area moaning. He had been injured in the crash. They nab him. He rats out the others.

They had traveled about 200 miles from Vicksburg MS to get their thuggery on. I still have some buds on the force in Harrison County. I am going to see if I can get more details.
Dayom. Good thing he wasn't on a bicycle..
Glad he ok.

I bet he does thins differently now eh.
Sounds like his training kicked in some what.
That, and adrenaline.
Nobody got shot?
Originally Posted by viking
Glad he ok.

He said if he had to do it all over again, he would have called 911 and waited.
Left his handgun in his vehicle and went to bed .... had to run out there and get it?

Why are Coast Guarders so ghey?

He's lucky the thugs don't know how to shoot.
Originally Posted by LazyL0228

I was very surprised that he used his car to block them in.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/07/22
Seems like someone with a bit more gun stuff in their background would have left a bigger mess.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Seems like someone with a bit more gun stuff in their background would have left a bigger mess.

Might be best for him that he didn't.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/07/22
Originally Posted by smokepole

No doubt thats true.
That is the problem with carrying a handgun to a rifle fight.
glad they are ok
I used to live one subdivision over. This is NOT the kind of place that you expect bad things to happen at 5 in the morning.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
He left his pistol in his car in the garage. He can't get to it. He confronts them anyway.

2 BAD mistakes right there.

He's lucky he didn't get killed.
A sound reminder that schit bags will travel to non-schit bag areas.

PS - Don't tell people you know people and are going to get more details.

Pretty sure if you drop them inside your home, and garage counts, there will be no questions asked in MS.

Chasing them outside was not a good idea. Once they are no longer a threat...unless MS has a Citizens Arrest clause that allows you to hold a person who commits a felony in your presence.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/07/22
That’s an helluva way to wake up. Hope your bud is doing ok and the locals don’t jam him up for pursuing the scum down the road
Yeah, PISS POOR training.

Glad he ok.

Considering his effectiveness, I concur with his choice.

Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
glad they are ok
Who, the porch monkeys?
Glad he ok.

I hope he has learned the error of his ways about leaving the gun in the car.

Glad he and his wife are OK.

Crooks driving a substantial distance to get their game on is becoming standard, much harder to get caught and to sell the stuff. I live on the west side of my state and they drive over to here from the east side of the state quite often. one of their favorite things to do is to walk the subdivisions and check cars for being locked, if it's unlocked they take everything they can, they get quite a few handguns this way.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
He left his pistol in his car in the garage. He can't get to it. He confronts them anyway.

Indeed, he walked out into his garage filled with 4 armed men with his pecker in his hand, that is a freaking death wish.

Never leave a gun in your car at the house, locked or not. That is giveing aid to the enemy.
Were these criminals:
1. A lighter shade
2. A darker shade
3. A similar shade
when compared to you?

That was quick, you got me lmao….
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Were these criminals:
1. A lighter shade
2. A darker shade
3. A similar shade
when compared to you?

I didn't ask. Most of the rural residential burglaries in that county are conducted by white people. This is different from the typical burglary though.
Were these criminals:
1. A lighter shade
2. A darker shade
3. A similar shade
when compared to you?

I didn't ask. Most of the rural residential burglaries in that county are conducted by white people. This is different from the typical burglary though.

All the Way from Vicksburg..

Hahaha Hahaha

Gay
Damn, Paul. I wish you’d have kept this story quiet. I’m glad our fellow Coastie is safe but this is pretty much a script of what not to do. Was he a YN?
Originally Posted by akrange
Were these criminals:
1. A lighter shade
2. A darker shade
3. A similar shade
when compared to you?

All the Way from Vicksburg..

Hahaha Hahaha

Gay
That's why I was curious. Wondering if a certain group is taking the show on the road.
Originally Posted by Bobmar
Damn, Paul. I wish you’d have kept this story quiet. I’m glad our fellow Coastie is safe but this is pretty much a script of what not to do. Was he a YN?

Nope. He was a BM who promoted quickly and stayed out of operational jobs.
F the coast guard. I'm dealing with safety inspections on my documented boats next week. The dumb sob got the drop on them and he's the one who's lucky to still be alive.
The Daily Spandex ..
A Very Sanitary Ragg..

Good thing they’sa wasn’t Joggers that would have given it Away..

Hahaha Hahaha
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
F the coast guard. I'm dealing with safety inspections on my documented boats next week. The dumb sob got the drop on them and he's the one who's lucky to still be alive.

You seem like a stand up guy. When the Inspector shows up on the dock, share your thoughts with him. No doubt you’ll establish some repoire and create a atmosphere of mutual respect. Good luck with your inspection.

You seem like a stand up guy. When the Inspector shows up on the dock, share your thoughts with him. No doubt you’ll establish some repoire and create a atmosphere of mutual respect. Good luck with your inspection.

Come on now. Can't we all agree that there is no need to have any established standards for vehicles, vessels and aircraft carrying passengers for hire?
I'm sure they'll sue him for blocking the road and making them runoff and hit a tree. Quintavious was a good boy....
You just never know who is going to be passing through.
Originally Posted by killerv
I'm sure they'll sue him for blocking the road and making them runoff and hit a tree. Quintavious was a good boy....

I bet he was signed up for classes in the spring at the local CC.
Were these criminals:
1. A lighter shade
2. A darker shade
3. A similar shade
when compared to you?
4. A whiter shade of pale?
Glad your Friend is OK

He and his wife may not sleep too sound for a while
Hank
I believe an AK and proper training may have saved the oak tree from harm.
I live in an area that's very unlikely to have problems. But good, dependable 12 gauge pump guns can be had for just a little pocket money. It's hard to believe that every house in the country doesn't have one propped up by the bed.
I bought a 12 gauge H&R Protector a few years ago. Fairly slick 870 clone, except the buttstock didn't fit. I put a Magpull adjustable buttstock on it and fixed that situation.

I've got a little under $300 in the whole package.
I keep a gun in my truck most of the time. I also have another on the nightstand by my bed too.
Dude sounds gayer than AIDS, you meet him in a Viking restuarant, or is he a cycling buddy? 😁😁
Posted By: KFWA Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/07/22
dude has one gun?

wtf?
Originally Posted by mirage243
Dude sounds gayer than AIDS, you meet him in a Viking restuarant, or is he a cycling buddy? 😁😁

I am starting to think Coasties are not as badass as Marines...

...or even TSA.
First off, glad he is ok, second, good that they caught the guys, 3rd, get more guns or at least keep the one you have close by.
I commend his actions.

While there was a high level of risk his efforts resulted in the bad guys removing themselves from his property and wife (assuming he isn’t a bicyclist) and that’s most important.

Sometimes you gotta fight fire with a two gallon bucket.

I don't understand why people leave firearms in vehicles at night.

In regards to the rest of the story, he is indeed lucky and shame that he didn't leave a pile of bodies in his garage for the cops to sort out. Better luck next time.

You might suggest some range time and rethinking his tactical/security awareness moving forward.
Originally Posted by killerv

Quintavious has always been a good boy. His long criminal record is due to America's systemic injustice toward people of color, not because he did anything really bad. He was only a thief and thug because he never had a chance to get a good education while he was growing up. His Father was in prison and none of my other baby-daddies were good role models for him either. He only did those things to provide for his 5 baby-mommas and 8 children.

That said, the guys who broke into my house were named Bobby and Jimmy. They were local kids who were breaking into houses to pay for their meth addictions. I called 911 before I confronted them, but when Bobby aimed his stolen Glock at me, I shot him. In high adrenalin, short range, encounters, I highly recommend a 12 gauge shotgun that is loaded with #4 buckshot.
I would have enjoyed this story more had there been a ball gag and samurai sword involved.

Puddle pirates... 🤣🤣🤣

I was very surprised that he used his car to block them in.
Maybe he used his wifes car?
All’s well that ends well.

A barking dog might have helped defer the break in at the start.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Puddle pirates... 🤣🤣🤣

Keyboard Badasses!
Posted By: tzone Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/07/22
He did a lot of dumb stuff that morning. He's lucky he's not dead.
He gets his gun out of his car and yells at them. They shoot again. He can be heard on his security system firing back and yelling "I have one too [bleep]."

The robbers get in their car and haul ass...in the opposite direction of the neighborhood entrance. There are 4 of them in the car. He gets in his car, stops it across the road and stands behind it. When they come back and realize that his car is blocking them, they start lobbing shots. He returns fire. They veer off of the road, cut across the lawn and slam into an oak tree. ... I am going to see if I can get more details.

I'd like to know the first thing his wife said to him when he went back into the house.
Originally Posted by tzone

His hindsight has led him to the same conclusion.

Puddle pirates... 🤣🤣🤣

Keyboard Badasses!
I can tell you a story about the time I told a puddle pirate that if he didn't get off the dock and leave me alone I was going to throw his dumb a$$ in the lake. He left. 😉🤣
Originally Posted by tjm10025
He gets his gun out of his car and yells at them. They shoot again. He can be heard on his security system firing back and yelling "I have one too [bleep]."

The robbers get in their car and haul ass...in the opposite direction of the neighborhood entrance. There are 4 of them in the car. He gets in his car, stops it across the road and stands behind it. When they come back and realize that his car is blocking them, they start lobbing shots. He returns fire. They veer off of the road, cut across the lawn and slam into an oak tree. ... I am going to see if I can get more details.

I'd like to know the first thing his wife said to him when he went back into the house.

Hell, she was outside too. Couldn't hear what she was saying on the video. The cameras didn't really capture the action.

Puddle pirates... 🤣🤣🤣

Keyboard Badasses!
I can tell you a story about the time I told a puddle pirate that if he didn't get off the dock and leave me alone I was going to throw his dumb a$$ in the lake. He left. 😉🤣

I am all ears.
glad your friend and his family are fine. glad he missed them when he shot at them ,in today`s world they don`t like hero`s anymore he was right what he did but these dang liberals don`t like us anymore. glad those thugs were caught but you can bet they will just get a hand slap and if they were dark skinned they would have just got their coloring book taken away. your friend should get a shotgun and flashlight for his bedroom now those thugs might be back ? or future problem my happen ? in my eye`s he was a true hero,Pete53
Lucky your friend didn’t hit any of them after they ran out of the house. At the minimum, he would be facing huge attorney fees.
Their camera system has detected someone in his garage.

Not the first thing on your friend's mind today, maybe, but I'd be interested in how they gained access to the garage. I try to keep mine as secure as the rest of the house. Hell, my garage is probably more secure than the rest of the house.
Posted By: WMR Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/07/22

"Turn the light off, I'm trying to sleep", followed by: "and open the window, it's hot in here". And he complied. Sure, hes brave enough to face gunmen unarmed, but this is a whole 'nother level of threat!

Puddle pirates... 🤣🤣🤣

Keyboard Badasses!

No doubt that was at band camp. You are indeed a thoroughly dangerous man!

No doubt thats true.

Especially with cameras rolling.
I'd think he'd have been justified, after they shot at him while he was blocking the road.
High attorney's fees would accrue, however.
Originally Posted by Remsen
I would have enjoyed this story more had there been a ball gag and samurai sword involved.

laugh
I am all ears.
Ya, they are kinda big for your skull... 😁

My dad and I were salmon fishing out of Harbor Beach on Lake Huron. Wind blew up out of the north east, waves got up to six foot pretty quick. We're returning to the harbor, going to enter through the north gap. I kept the speed up a little so the waves didn't turn me sideways going through the hole. Get back to the dock, tie the boat up and some dude carrying a fishing pole in his hand comes walking out on the dock. He tells me that I came through the gap a little hot, if he had his uniform on he would have written me a ticket. I told him to go get his uniform on and that if he didn't get out of my way and off the dock he was going in for a swim.
You guys that have cameras running all over your house should seriously reconsider.

There is always this one guy.......
“Must be white boy day…”

Come on now. Can't we all agree that there is no need to have any established standards for vehicles, vessels and aircraft carrying passengers for hire?

Might be a way to improve the gene pool.
Believe or not there are people out there that don't even have one gun!
Glad your friend is ok. Hopefully this will be a wake up call to him about…..
A. Have your protection firearm close at hand
B. Schit bags travel to nice neighborhoods because those people have things worth stealing
C. Take a position of safety in front of your wife and call 911.
I commend his bravery in this incident, but a stray round from the criminals could have hit him crippling or killing him. They probably would have killed his wife too before leaving.

Ron
Originally Posted by rickt300
rickt, I go to church with a guy who told me “My wife won’t allow me
to have a gun in the house”. I would slam my leg in the car door repeatedly before admitting that I let my wife tell me that I couldn’t own a gun.

Ron
Isn't there a minimum height of six feet for coasties?- - - - - - - -if the boat sinks they can wade to shore!
Sounds like an M-14 needed! Or an 870 with 000 buckshot! If he ain’t got but one shooter he needs to make a few more purchases!!
Originally Posted by SCRooster
Left his handgun in his vehicle and went to bed .... had to run out there and get it?

Should have had 2 in the vehicle.. and another one in his hand.

Lol.
Posted By: tzone Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/07/22
Originally Posted by tzone

His hindsight has led him to the same conclusion.

Lots of people around here leave their garage door open and this is a fairly common occurrence. Not ending in a shootout, but usually some sort of violence.
I have a bud that I served with in the Coast Guard at 2 different stations. He is not a gun nut, never enjoyed law enforcement, hated going to the range and always struggled to qualify with the handgun. When he retired, he built a house in a rural subdivision out in the county in Mississippi. The lots are all 2+ acres. It's a quiet, peaceful neighborhood, that historically hasn't had crime. It's a one way in, one way out subdivision.

This past weekend, his wife shakes him awake at 5 in the morning. Their camera system has detected someone in his garage. He left his pistol in his car in the garage. He can't get to it. He confronts them anyway. They shoot and scatter. He gets his gun out of his car and yells at them. They shoot again. He can be heard on his security system firing back and yelling "I have one too [bleep]."

The robbers get in their car and haul ass...in the opposite direction of the neighborhood entrance. There are 4 of them in the car. He gets in his car, stops it across the road and stands behind it. When they come back and realize that his car is blocking them, they start lobbing shots. He returns fire. They veer off of the road, cut across the lawn and slam into an oak tree. The car is rendered inoperable. They get out and run. Deputies show up. They hear one of the robbers in a wooded area moaning. He had been injured in the crash. They nab him. He rats out the others.

They had traveled about 200 miles from Vicksburg MS to get their thuggery on. I still have some buds on the force in Harrison County. I am going to see if I can get more details.
Good outcome, indeed. I hope they all serve hard time. Were they all Norwegians?
Posted By: ribka Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/07/22
Originally Posted by deflave
You guys that have cameras running all over your house should seriously reconsider.

How about a yapper dog?
Glad he ok.

In that situation that would have been the prudent thing to do. If he had killed somebody he would have had a hard time defending pulling the car out to block the road so that the shooting could continue. Don't know the law in Mississippi but some of what he did (most) is not counted as self defense or protecting your home in Tennessee or Alabama.

Might not be. Even if they called 911 right away and it took 5 minutes for them to get there they were greatly outnumbered. So maybe taking the fight to them and getting them to leave saved their lives. To many what if’s to know though.
Dem Rhodes Scholars probably come outa Jackson Miss.! They got a graduate outa Harvard as mayor over there what can’t even figure out how to keep the residents with drinking water! Mississippi and Baton Rouge both need huge enemas!!
Posted By: BobMt Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/07/22
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Good outcome, indeed. I hope they all serve hard time. Were they all Norwegians?

Does it really make a difference what color they are....bob
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/07/22
Nothing like getting your first swimming lesson when the boat starts to sink.
Some folks believe it’ll never happen to them, until it does. 🤪
Wait, what?

That can’t be right.

Haven't run a charter or head boat since the early 1990's, been a 100% commercial fishing operation. Now that everything is integrated by computers the CG has privy information on licenses, documentation and federal permits. I feel the CG just want to be relevant, I have no problems with them, I just want to be left alone. I knew a queer C Guardsman that retired and moved to MS. His name was Tim Torens? He was a dumb sob and couldn't catch his azz with both hands. Had a boat called the Sea Quest.
Sure would of been nice if there was 3 or 4 dead POS that taxpayers wouldn't have to put up with anymore.
Originally Posted by worriedman

Pretty sure if you drop them inside your home, and garage counts, there will be no questions asked in MS.

Chasing them outside was not a good idea. Once they are no longer a threat...unless MS has a Citizens Arrest clause that allows you to hold a person who commits a felony in your presence.
In Mississippi, if you were arrested for what he did, the worst that could happen is a hung jury without a retrial.
Still, very expensive to defend yourself in court.
But, I cannot imagine he would ever be arrested in Mississippi for what he did.
a shotgun as he came out of the house would have been appropriate, though.
We don't lock the doors. Come on in! Just be ready to play with a 70# catahoula, and a 50# lab/ border collie cross! #4 buck is the lead of choice. The dogs play very well, after I call them off, they're always willing. Glad your friend is ok. On another note, most here couldn't muster the nuts, it takes to do Coast Guard rescue work. YMMV

Puddle pirates... 🤣🤣🤣

Keyboard Badasses!

The Coast Guard does inspections on Lakes?
Has only one hand gun/weapon & it's in the garage/car ?

Come on man.........

I have 2-3 with in easy reach

Glad your bud ended up OK......

Thx for your CG service !
Originally Posted by mirage243
Well that's about as ignorant a quote you're likely to find on the Campfire.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Some folks believe it’ll never happen to them, until it does. 🤪

That's the syndrome many people live by: "Ahhhh, it can't happen to me/us."

"It" can happen anywhere.

L.W.
Yes. Michigan alone has twenty Coast Guard stations on the Great Lakes plus a couple of Air Stations.
I used to live one subdivision over. This is NOT the kind of place that you expect bad things to happen at 5 in the morning.
I hear that so much about the town I live in. Alert !! If you have nice things people will do what ever it takes to get it. If you live in a nice neighborhood there will be some thug lurking around to get it. Thieves don't go to crappy neighborhoods for 2 reasons:
1. there is no good stuff. It's all junk
2. if it's good it has already been stolen at least once. That means there is an alert for that item.

If you live in a nice neighborhood YOU WILL HAVE THEIVES SHOWING UP. Plan on it and act accordingly. Do NOT leave your gat in your car. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard anyone do. The only thing as stupid is to leave your lap top in the car. At least the lap top won't kill someone.

kwg

P.S. I almost joined the Coast Guard in 1977. In retrospect I wish I'd of followed through and made a career with them. They have some really cool stuff and I missed a great chance to get to play with some of it.

kwg

The US CG has authority over all inland and coastal waterways. I used to work on a lake in Arkansas and they had authority there ... in the middle of the country.

FWIW.

L.W.

Yes, bumpkin.

and wearing spandex
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I live in an area that's very unlikely to have problems. But good, dependable 12 gauge pump guns can be had for just a little pocket money. It's hard to believe that every house in the country doesn't have one propped up by the bed.

mine has 3
Originally Posted by kwg020
P.S. I almost joined the Coast Guard in 1977. In retrospect I wish I'd of followed through and made a career with them. They have some really cool stuff and I missed a great chance to get to play with some of it.

kwg

I think I would have enjoyed working on the great lakes as a younger man with them.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/07/22
Good your buddy stood up for himself and is ok
Should have taken Joe's advice, "use a shotgun"
Sounds like a real s.h.i.t. show.

Luckily your friend and his family didn't get hurt or killed.
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Should have taken Joe's advice, "use a shotgun"

a Benelli clone
Posted By: ribka Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/07/22
Paul while you were a Ci in the Coast guard did they teach you you could use deadly force, chase the threat in a vehicle after the threat was gone and shoot at moving vehicles as a civilian in the dark especially when you could barely qualify? How did he pass your academy he didn't like law enforcement work?

glad he is safe. hopefully a wake up call for him and his family. Im shocked that predators would leave a high crime urban area to go out and target naive unarmed people who have money and live in big houses in nice areas. That never happened before lol

Yes. Michigan alone has twenty Coast Guard stations on the Great Lakes plus a couple of Air Stations.

I was in Bayfield, Wisconsin 1991 or so... the USCG ran self-righting boats on Superior...

Those are some very cool vessels.

I was working the islands... Superior can get nasty.

Knew some Coasties back then... they are lightweights when comes to pounding down the PBR.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

I was in Bayfield, Wisconsin 1991 or so... the USCG ran self-righting boats on Superior...

Those are some very cool vessels.

I was working the islands... Superior can get nasty.

Knew some Coasties back then... they are lightweights when comes to pounding down the PBR.
😁👌

We had a couple of Coasties that shot with us at our pistol matches. Not the brightest puddle pirates. They were stationed at the Saginaw River Station. Next door to their place was a chunk of land (IIRC 40 acres) that was owned by DOW Chemical, had a population of Whitetails with a couple of good sized bucks included. The land was surrounded by a high fence except for the river side. Anyways the two rocket surgeons snuck onto the land at night and shot one of the bigger bucks. That didn't go over well with the command, I heard their new duty assignment sucked bigly. Also had a Coastie shoot at our F-Class matches. He was a flight mechanic based out of Air Station Detroit. Being a flight mechanic myself on ECs during my AF days I enjoyed being squaded with him, we talked aviation schidt during pit duty.
Originally Posted by steveredd1
Originally Posted by Bristoe

mine has 3

Well, I have 5, actually. An H&R Partner Protector, A Stevens 520, and three Stevens 520As. The H&R stays loaded. The rest are project guns that I've pieced together. I wouldn't hesitate to grab up this old 1940s 520A if the situation called for it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

The US CG has authority over all inland and coastal waterways. I used to work on a lake in Arkansas and they had authority there ... in the middle of the country.

FWIW.

L.W.

Only the inland bodies of water that have been determined to be "navigable."

Yep, needs some more medieval ass getting on, to spice it up.

Maybe some hard, pipe hitting....uhh....people?
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Sounds like a real s.h.i.t. show.

Luckily your friend and his family didn't get hurt or killed.

No kidding.

A miracle.

Haven't run a charter or head boat since the early 1990's, been a 100% commercial fishing operation. Now that everything is integrated by computers the CG has privy information on licenses, documentation and federal permits. I feel the CG just want to be relevant, I have no problems with them, I just want to be left alone. I knew a queer C Guardsman that retired and moved to MS. His name was Tim Torens? He was a dumb sob and couldn't catch his azz with both hands. Had a boat called the Sea Quest.
Sure would of been nice if there was 3 or 4 dead POS that taxpayers wouldn't have to put up with anymore.

My last job with the Coast Guard was as a civilian Commercial Fishing Vessel Examiner. I enjoyed it amd tried to help the fishers as much as I could.

Most thugs don't know how to shoot. Paul's buddy has some balls. Probably a good thing his shots didn't make contact either. Even though he was defending himself and his property, he may have been hauled off to jail and lost all his guns. Wondering how all this is going to turn out? Glad to hear his buddy didn't get shot. Could have gone wrong real fast..
Posted By: JeffA Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/07/22
It takes a special thought process to store your only firearm in a location that a prospective burglar could access it before you could.
Coast Guard use to bring their C-130's to my base to get out of the way of Hurricane's. Don't know much about the Coast Guard but they sure kept those planes looking sharp! Put our abused in the desert birds to shame. Helicopters too. Looks like they waxed them.
Originally Posted by JeffA
It takes a special thought process to store your only firearm in a location that a prospective burglar could access it before you could.

I agree. Pretty damn stupid. Hopefully he learned a good lesson!!!!! It's actually very negligent. If a kid would have gotten in there and got his pistol and used it on a sibling or friend or if a bad guy would have gotten it in his possession and used it in a murder, Paul's buddy would be in a whole world of hurt..
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

FWIW.

L.W.

Only the inland bodies of water that have been determined to be "navigable."

Thanks for the correction, PB. I'd forgotten the "navigable" term. smile

L.W.
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Dem Rhodes Scholars probably come outa Jackson Miss.! They got a graduate outa Harvard as mayor over there what can’t even figure out how to keep the residents with drinking water! Mississippi and Baton Rouge both need huge enemas!!
New Orleans?

My tax lawyer son in law was invited on a MS dove hunt by a high end client. Boy never shot a gun. I took him out behind my house, set up my electric clay thrower, shot some skeet over the pond.

Reportedly the doves are going to be pretty thick and I think he may bag a few. I gave him the gun, a 20 ga 1100 with 28” mod barrel. Told him to put it on the top shelf in his closet, put two shells in the mag, chamber empty. I showed him how to quickly rack the action. Where he lives in Old Metairie, I feel better knowing he can use a shotgun and has one in his house.

BTW, his folks live a couple blocks from Paul. In fact I’ve visited Paul.

DF
Reminds me of my concealed hand gun class from a ways back.

The instructer says lets go thru some scenarios. You are asleep at night and hear someone breaking in. You call 911. What is the first thing the 911 operator hears.

A guy in the back of the class yells BOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

after everyone stopped rolling in the floor laughing, instructor says No. First they hear you say some one is breaking in and you are afraid, then dont come in here, then BOOOOOOOM!
Jokes aside....glad your buddy is ok.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Why?

He could be an ass hole.

My last job with the Coast Guard was as a civilian Commercial Fishing Vessel Examiner. I enjoyed it amd tried to help the fishers as much as I could.
I believe you did the inspections our boats in Grand Isle, small world.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/07/22
His wife detected the problem - maybe she should have gone after it instead or waking him. Women now are empowered, you know, and she probably could not have done worse than did he. I am glad that he escaped unhurt - and undead.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
New Orleans?

My tax lawyer son in law was invited on a MS dove hunt by a high end client. Boy never shot a gun. I took him out behind my house, set up my electric clay thrower, shot some skeet over the pond.

Reportedly the doves are going to be pretty thick and I think he may bag a few. I gave him the gun, a 20 ga 1100 with 28” mod barrel. Told him to put it on the top shelf in his closet, put two shells in the mag, chamber empty. I showed him how to quickly rack the action. Where he lives in Old Metairie, I feel better knowing he can use a shotgun and has one in his house.

BTW, his folks live a couple blocks from Paul. In fact I’ve visited Paul.

DF

DF is good peeps.
I believe you did the inspections our boats in Grand Isle, small world.

Cool, small world.

Did I make a 3 ring binder and a checklist for you? After I had been doing the job for about 2 years, I saw how unorganized a lot of fishers were. I kept 3 ring binders in my car with the clear inserts and helped them organize their FCC license, EPIRB registration, permits, Documentation papers etc. I also made them a custom checklist of everything they were supposed to have on the boat with expiration dates of everything that had an expiration date as well as a monthly inspection and drill record.

For the fishers that used it, it was a handy tool. It also made it easier when a boarding officer came on board. The captain would hand them the binder and they didn't have to ask for anything else. I got the idea from a really organized shrimper.

That was probably back before the examinations became mandatory.
Cool, small world.

Did I make a 3 ring binder and a checklist for you? After I had been doing the job for about 2 years, I saw how unorganized a lot of fishers were. I kept 3 ring binders in my car with the clear inserts and helped them organize their FCC license, EPIRB registration, permits, Documentation papers etc. I also made them a custom checklist of everything they were supposed to have on the boat with expiration dates of everything that had an expiration date as well as a monthly inspection and drill record.

For the fishers that used it, it was a handy tool. It also made it easier when a boarding officer came on board. The captain would hand them the binder and they didn't have to ask for anything else. I got the idea from a really organized shrimper.

That was probably back before the examinations became mandatory.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Yeah, I know they're on the Great Lakes. Your post didn't sound like the Great Lakes.
Why?

He could be an ass hole.
Or worse, a bicyclist.
😆😆

Yeah, I know they're on the Great Lakes. Your post didn't sound like the Great Lakes.
👍
Ya, Harbor Beach is a town on the shore of Lake Huron...
I saw how unorganized a lot of fishers were.

You don't use the word "fishermen" in the Coast Guard?
Originally Posted by ironbender
Or worse, a bicyclist.
😆😆

Oh man.

How great would it be to hear about one of those getting murdered?
I saw how unorganized a lot of fishers were.

You don't use the word "fishermen" in the Coast Guard?

If they are in fact fishermen. It wasn't too uncommon to see a husband and wife team on some commercial fishing boats.
If they are in fact fishermen. It wasn't too uncommon to see a husband and wife team on some commercial fishing boats.

Jesus fugk me Christ.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/07/22
Groids?
Not all coasts have salt water.
Based on your description of events, he doesn't seem too bright.
Originally Posted by bruinruin

He knows he made mistakes. I can't guarantee that if I were stirred from a deep sleep that my first few minutes of decision making would be sound. We never know how we will react to something like that until it happens. Mental preparation can have the same conditioning effect as the muscle memory developed from repetition.
He shoulda hadda 410 snake charmer with a gold bead front sight by the bed.

Sheesh

Very brave fella that stood up to thugs. I am glad he did not get injured. Four to one are not good odds, took fight to them like a commando!
Originally Posted by Slavek

Very brave fella that stood up to thugs. I am glad he did not get injured. Four to one are not good odds, took fight to them like a commando!
STFU
Originally Posted by Slavek

He gets in his car, stops it across the road and stands behind it.

Some Whiteys in Georgia doin life for that.
Has it been established that these were 4 gentlemen of color?

The OP didn't comment on that, in the story, but I assume....

This. And everyone made fun of TRH for being ready.
🌬️STFU>>>>👻

He knows he made mistakes. I can't guarantee that if I were stirred from a deep sleep that my first few minutes of decision making would be sound. We never know how we will react to something like that until it happens. Mental preparation can have the same conditioning effect as the muscle memory developed from repetition.
Leaving your main defensive weapon in a car and then trying to unlawfully detain with a vehicle is what I was referring to.

Edit to add that I'm glad he's OK.
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Has it been established that these were 4 gentlemen of color?

The OP didn't comment on that, in the story, but I assume....

Ha, dummy. Four gentlemen of color in the same county. Not [bleep] hard Lee. wink
If you find yourself in a fair fight....
Posted By: gunzo Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/07/22
Yet we're still wondering if the perps were just drunken frat brothers from the local university looking for a prop for their next prank.
Four architecture students, studying the structure ta see if it was typical of the architecture of that period, or had been remodeled into a more efficient layout.

Accosted in the dark of night by a screamin man, they defended themselves without injury, and attempted to retreat and inform the authorities.

They were stalked and again threatened by the same assailant that accosted them earlier.

Attempting to escape without injury, their plan was foiled by the aggressor that refused to let the situation de-escalate.

Now, they're suffering from various physical and mental injuries due to the unprovoked sustained attack.

lol I sleep with an Ar and a couple of pistols on my bed.

Personally I would have been alerted by my dogs and my favorite 45 would almost immediately been in my hand. The odds are they would not have tried to get in the garage because of the dogs making noise.

Leaving your main defensive weapon in a car and then trying to unlawfully detain with a vehicle is what I was referring to.

Edit to add that I'm glad he's OK.

I give him credit, wrong or right he was on it.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/08/22
Call Morgan & Morgan.
Posted By: ribka Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/08/22

20 or more years of CG tactical training didn't help?

Why?

He could be an ass hole.

Take a break Barnes you don't have to be an aszhole all the time.
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Four architecture students, studying the structure ta see if it was typical of the architecture of that period, or had been remodeled into a more efficient layout.

Accosted in the dark of night by a screamin man, they defended themselves without injury, and attempted to retreat and inform the authorities.

They were stalked and again threatened by the same assailant that accosted them earlier.

Attempting to escape without injury, their plan was foiled by the aggressor that refused to let the situation de-escalate.

Now, they're suffering from various physical and mental injuries due to the unprovoked sustained attack.

There is no such thing as a black architect...

Birds of a feather....
Is this just a normal evening in Mississippi?

I've never lived there so can't know first hand, but the times I have visited it seemed like this sort of thing would be typical.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

There is no such thing as a black architect...

There was a black lectrician, in Georgia.
I have three options at my bedside.
Heaven help if I don't wake up and they make it into the bedroom.
Hopefully my Rotty will wake up! LOL!

AR w/20 round mag.
16 gauge semi auto w/#1 buck or
.40 S&W semi auto handgun.

Town is 7 miles away.
Nearest neighbor is 1 mile.
Nearest LEO is 12 miles, 30 minutes away.

My f-i-l (lived 3 miles away) threw a fit because I would NOT get a night light. The local Co-OP installs them for free.

When the in-laws moved to town, the thieves picked him clean.
We've lived here 20 years!
Never had a single item stolen.

Night lights give thieves lighted shopping!
There was a black lectrician, in Georgia.

Shocking!

Why?

He could be an ass hole.

Elias doesn’t say that to Barnes he says it to O’Neil.

And he doesn’t call him an ass hole he calls him a prick.
Originally Posted by akasparky

Birds of a feather....

Sparklekghunt,

Have you ever had an original thought in your life?

LOL
Why?

He could be an ass hole.
Or worse, a bicyclist.

Isn't that redundant?

He knows he made mistakes. I can't guarantee that if I were stirred from a deep sleep that my first few minutes of decision making would be sound.

I always thought this too butt I think you might be surprised a just how sound you will be. When it happened to me I woke up like a Cat! Ready to go!
Posted By: CCCC Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/08/22
Although the reported case seems to disprove my point, your "neighborhood" seems to have a lot of bearing. Twenty three years ago, after a career run that had us in several parts of the US, we moved to a remote place within a national forest - 22 miles from a very small town, some seasons zero neighbors within 2 miles, and three Sherriff/deputies serving a county of almost 7,000 square miles. At the very end of the grid, in some steep mountain terrain having mostly ponderosa, pinyon and juniper.

At first, we were very alert and careful, but after a year or two got the reality. We were very safe. At times, we were gone for three weeks or even more than a month as my last job had an international component. There was a good bit of "interesting" stuff to be had by theives.

Not one time did anyone break into, burgle or do any damage to anything. We never experienced any sort of threatening intruder (other than wolves, bears or an occasional mountain lion, and certainly none of those were threatening to us). To the cattle, deer and elk - yes.

When I went off hunting alone for days at a time, my wife was quite comfortable being there by herself. Of course, she was very well and practically armed and knew the rehearsed drills - but never had a single scare. We were so blessed - more than one Campfire person told me that we were living the dream. Maybe so. As for the unwanted types, location and spacial relations seem to matter a bunch.
Sparklekghunt,

LOL

Good to see you too Flave!

Nice to see you up and posting after hours when you're not on the taxpayers dime.
Originally Posted by akasparky
Sparklekghunt,

LOL

Good to see you too Flave!

Nice to see you up and posting after hours when you're not on the taxpayers dime.

Sparky subscribes to the 2G philosophy on life.

“If you gossip and guess often enough, you might be right about something, someday.”

LOL
Originally Posted by CCCC
Although the reported case seems to disprove my point, your "neighborhood" seems to have a lot of bearing. Twenty three years ago, after a career run that had us in several parts of the US, we moved to a remote place within a national forest - 22 miles from a very small town, some seasons zero neighbors within 2 miles, and three Sherriff/deputies serving a county of almost 7,000 square miles. At the very end of the grid, in some steep mountain terrain having mostly ponderosa, pinyon and juniper.

At first, we were very alert and careful, but after a year or two got the reality. We were very safe. At times, we were gone for three weeks or even more than a month as my last job had an international component. There was a good bit of "interesting" stuff to be had by theives.

Not one time did anyone break into, burgle or do any damage to anything. We never experienced any sort of threatening intruder (other than wolves, bears or an occasional mountain lion, and certainly none of those were threatening to us). To the cattle, deer and elk - yes.

When I went off hunting alone for days at a time, my wife was quite comfortable being there by herself. Of course, she was very well and practically armed and knew the rehearsed drills - but never had a single scare. We were so blessed - more than one Campfire person told me that we were living the dream. Maybe so. As for the unwanted types, location and spacial relations seem to matter a bunch.

OK, Jeremiah Johnson.

LOL

Nice story.

Around here, isolated places mean uninterrupted shopping.
Hunting/river cabins are the majority of burglaries.
Isolated homes are right behind them.
The prevalence of do-it-yourself internet based home security seems
to have slowed it, but they will soon learn to cut the phone lines.
Cell service sucks in most of those places.

Most of the burglars drive ATVs or slip in from the closest road.
1. Don't leave anything of value in vacation/hunting cabins.
2. questions ? see #1.

Your regular home ? See internet for suggestions on nasty surprises.
" He left his pistol in his car in the garage. He can't get to it."

He has only one?

No comprende

Why?

He could be an ass hole.

Elias doesn’t say that to Barnes he says it to O’Neil.

And he doesn’t call him an ass hole he calls him a prick.

Ok O"Neil. You don't have to be a prick all the time.
Why?

He could be an ass hole.
Or worse, a bicyclist.
Isn't that redundant?
Could be. Not automatic.
It would be amusing to put all these high post count members in a one acre high fence pasture, give each a baseball bat and come back in a day or two.

Contrary to the tough guy personas behind a keyboard, I'd bet there would be zero injuries.

They would need drugs to relieve the effects of a 24-48 hour absence from upping their post counts.

Yes I borrowed that from ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT. (That's a famous book)
Posted By: CCCC Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/08/22
Although the reported case seems to disprove my point, your "neighborhood" seems to have a lot of bearing. Twenty three years ago, after a career run that had us in several parts of the US, we moved to a remote place within a national forest - 22 miles from a very small town, some seasons zero neighbors within 2 miles, and three Sherriff/deputies serving a county of almost 7,000 square miles. At the very end of the grid, in some steep mountain terrain having mostly ponderosa, pinyon and juniper. - - - - - - - We were so blessed - more than one Campfire person told me that we were living the dream. Maybe so. As for the unwanted types, location and spacial relations seem to matter a bunch.
OK, Jeremiah Johnson. LOL
Not at all. We were not very adventuresome or fearless as was the real Jeremiah - were not looking to blaze new trails or trap anything (although we did a bit).

We were just a happy hard-working mom and dad past middle age and wanting our own little slice of natural beauty, serenity and privacy. If that makes for LOL on your part - have whatever floats your silly boat.
Be wary of the man with only one gun.

Unless he leaves it in the garage.

🦫
Originally Posted by UpThePole
It would be amusing to put all these high post count members in a one acre high fence pasture, give each a baseball bat and come back in a day or two.

Contrary to the tough guy personas behind a keyboard, I'd bet there would be zero injuries.

They would need drugs to relieve the effects of a 24-48 hour absence from upping their post counts.

Scott, what kind of post per day average would you consider to be a high post count?

Scott, what kind of post per day average would you consider to be a high post count?

Thought upthepole was Larry Root?

FFS, it’s gotten to the point you need a damn sticky of shítcanned members and their current screen name.
What could be considered a 'high' post count can vary.

For those that make posts of interest, with substance, once or twice a day may not be enough.
For others, once a week can be far too much.
The injured 16 year old complained to his family that the homeowner cussed at them and fired back after they shot at him. LOL
Posted By: ribka Re: Friend of Mine in a Shootout - 09/08/22

Looks like your average about 350 a month. Over 4000 a year. Plus all of your previous posts before the new sock puppet Get your bat. Sock puppet
If he only had a long gun it could have been a meaningful experience .

Not bad for a depressed drunk in a bit over a month.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Be wary of the man with only one gun.

Unless he leaves it in the garage.

🦫

grin

Sig line material.
He only had one gun and it was a pistols in the car? Where’s the 870 when you need it?
Originally Posted by hardin284
He only had one gun and it was a pistols in the car? Where’s the 870 when you need it?

I chatted with him again and he is going to get a shotgun. His plan is to keep it in the house.
© 24hourcampfire